• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Join The Club

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:21 pm Reply with quote
fistofthemfk wrote:

That has me curious. Is there a place that offers a listing of clubs by city/state that is updated? A lot of us who are involved in anime clubs know that they still have value and interest and there are probably people looking for them.

Hahahahaha, it used to be the AniPike. Laughing
bravetailor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:37 pm Reply with quote
I use Meetup.com and search for "anime" in my city.
TheBigN

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:47 am Reply with quote
When I was at my college anime club, I noticed that while I would probably keep coming to the club itself based on it showing anime (a mix of popular and unknown titles available in the US that were considered good across the board), what made things more fun was the interactions with fellow fans as well. I became a member of the club's executive board, and later became an officer of that club, helping to plan both the general anime showing and the ever-increasing extra activities that the club would provide (karaoke, plastic models, paintball, our own college mini-convention, for example) that would provide a means for people to have fun outside of watching shows. And as others have said, I think the social aspect is important in terms of keeping clubs running nowadays. We all have an interest in anime itself, but we also have diversifying interests related to anime-culture as well, and the club is a good starting point to get to know these differing interests and develop strong, lasting relationships with other fans, as well as to keep on promoting the spread of anime itself.
staab99

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:20 pm Reply with quote
The problem with our club is people tend to give up when there is some fan service within a show, people should grow up sometimes. For example our club had 1 member who was ultra conservative and she told us we had to warn her when nudity was going to come so that she can "Closed her eyes", well the first year we did that and even times when we did warn her, she didn't care, but when that one small moment came she flipped out. She's a senior this year and she barely showed up, but the day she did was when we were watching new anime within the past few months (High School of the Dead, Arakawa Under The Bridge, Angel Beats, etc.) we watched B Geta H Kei (granted it's a dirty show) she ran out of club during a scene where sexual innuendo was happening and we haven't seen her since (she also did this when we watched Yaoi). She was okay with gore and violence, but nudity was A WHOLE other issue.
I really tried to help her out, but it got kinda out of hand to the part where I just said "Just grow up" and moved on because it was entirely pointless because even when I mentioned a show will have some nudity she would walk out before giving it a chance and she missed out on shows that she would have might liked (hell she like Mahoromatic and Elfen Lied, and I had to convince her to stay). Did you think I did something wrong? Or what can I do next time when people act like that?

Last edited by staab99 on Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
rinmackie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Don't worry staab, you did the right thing. Anime comes from Japan where maybe 1% of the population is Christian. Of course, the Japanese have different values; so anime will reflect that. If she couldn't accept it, then perhaps anime just isn't for her. Not saying you can't be conservative and Christian but when it comes to anime, it helps to have an open mind. Plus, you did everything you could to help her and it still wasn't enough. So I wouldn't feel guilty if I were you.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4