• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - I Am Xam

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:21 am Reply with quote
GWOtaku wrote:
Personally, I love Kaleido Star. Always did, I have watched it multiple times (yes, with the dub--I've heard much worse). But as much as I like the first season, to me it's even better in retrospect after seeing the second. It just elevates the show because so much development and growth happens for various characters. For people that were a part of the stage, for newcomers, even for certain characters that just had limited roles in the first season. It's really satisfying to witness how these people change and grow into their positions at Kaleido Stage, along with influence that they and Sora have on one another. Season one is mostly about Sora and ultimately Layla as well, and that's fine because they're both great characters. With just the first season, you have a very good show. But the show grows so much in the second season that I'm grateful it had the chance to be longer than 26 episodes.

The TV-14 rating bemuses and amuses me. Despite some drama, to me Kaleido is pretty much an all-ages anime if ever there was one. Its serious moments are more than offset by its persistently positive tone, and as Erin says it's A-OK on content. These days, the way it casually avoids fanservice-driven pandering is all too refreshing...

Xam'd does seem interesting. Will have to try it sometime.

Well its got some fair amount of noticible, but subtle fanservice. Junichi Sato himself called them "ass shots". But other than that its got no nudity,nipple nudity or racy clothing. So whats up with the "TV14" rating? ADV's 2004 release had "12+" and thier New Wings singles and thinpacks had "TVPG". I guess bad packaging on Funimation's part.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:41 am Reply with quote
Rosetta kisses Sora on the cheek.

Can't have kids under 14 watching that after all.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:53 am Reply with quote
Sanosuke_Inara wrote:
I wanna know, cause I'd probably take those 2 songs over the 1st 2 songs, mainly because ED 2 is hella better than ED 1.

Personally, I narrowly prefer Shut Up And Explode to Back On My Feet as far as the OPs go. Bit of a tossup with the EDs, since they've all got really cool visuals, and Kylee did a great job on the vocals. And she was fifteen when she recorded them!

Takeyo wrote:
Personally, I wish that S23 had authored the BDs in such a way that the viewer could select which versions to watch during playback, but I suppose that would have taken additional time, licenses, space, etc.

Yeah, that would've been a cool feature.

Splitter wrote:
Between this and excusing Xam'd for being a "disappointing mish-mash of plot and pseudo-philosophy" due to stylistic reasons just made it impossible to take you seriously ever again. I mean, really.

Well hold on a minute, that comment was directed only at Xam'd's ending, not what lead up to it; I'd even disagree with that limited criticism, but I've already written on it at length--no need to open the floodgates again. Razz

Point is, I don't think the contrast between Erin's opinions is quite as stark as you were making it out to be.

Quote:
Also, Xam'd fans, I adore Eureka Seven. This was a very poor attempt to retread the ground that Eureka Seven graced beautifully, retaining all of the style and none of the substance.

Having seen this sentiment elsewhere so many times before, all I can say now is that I wish I could pick a few brains over at Bones, see which series they thought turned out better.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:43 am Reply with quote
Not sure, but they'd probably say E7, cause that sold a little under 8k per volume and Xam'd sold a little under 2k per volume.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:43 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Not sure, but they'd probably say E7, cause that sold a little under 8k per volume and Xam'd sold a little under 2k per volume.

... And that's before adjusting for inflation!

Nevertheless, I'd hope it's a little less cut-and-dry than comparing the numbers. Razz
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:05 am Reply with quote
Big Hed wrote:
[Personally, I narrowly prefer Shut Up And Explode to Back On My Feet as far as the OPs go. Bit of a tossup with the EDs, since they've all got really cool visuals, and Kylee did a great job on the vocals. And she was fifteen when she recorded them!
On the openings, I really love both of them. Not sure I could choose. If I had to, though, I might give Back on My Feet the extremely slight edge.

And I like ED1, yeah, but I really liked ED2, so I'd take it over its predecessor. Nice fun fact about her age, btw--had no idea.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4