• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Sense and Sentai-ability

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jedi Master

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:05 pm Reply with quote
I'm just glad Sentai even makesdubs. I actually wish they'd dub more. There are many titles in their DVD catalogue that I would buy if only they had an english dub.

I doubt season 2 of Haruhi made money. I'm enjoying the books, but Endless Eight seems like too much filler in the anime adaptation. The region 1 DVDs for season 2 still seem widely available/over-stocked.
ultimatemegax

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Jedi Master wrote:
I doubt season 2 of Haruhi made money. I'm enjoying the books, but Endless Eight seems like too much filler in the anime adaptation. The region 1 DVDs for season 2 still seem widely available/over-stocked.
You are incorrect. The additional episodes in the 2009 airing made that "season" the 44th best selling show since 2000 in Japan (and that's not including the copies Oricon didn't track) and Bandai reps said the "second season" set was "one of our top sellers last year" at the premiere of the English dub for the movie at AX 2011. Bandai pressed more copies of Haruhi before they stopped shipping titles because it was a good selling title to both retailers and fans. That's why it's still available and shows like Lucky Star and true tears are not.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:40 pm Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
In fact, the question seemed specifically constructed to place editors in the role of villains who threaten free speech and kill kittens. I'm surprised you even got one letter that took the side of the editors, since you did such a thorough job priming your audience with a leading question.

This is not the way editors work. at all. Editors are employees. They work long hours for their pay. They don't make censorship decisions.

This was like blaming the line-cook at a Chick-fil-A for the political bias of the company's owner.

I think you're thinking of the wrong kind of editor here. The manga industry works differently than US book and magazine publishing. They're a well oiled machine and control a lot of the development of a manga's storyline and characters. In Western comic terms the closest we get is pretty much when a writer/artist has to work with the big DC and Marvel characters. Everything in the story has to get approved.

But American manga editors aren't completely innocent either. Manga sometimes gets edited to make it more "friendly" to American readers in hopes of it appealing to larger audiences, or outright avoiding controversy. You don't need to go further than Naruto's American release for a prime example of how Viz has handled the editing to make sure parents aren't completely against their kids reading it. Naruto has turned into a naked girl? Add more clouds. That kid is smoking a cigarette, and it's essential to the plot? Just edit all the cigarettes out and let the readers be confused. That scene has two boys kissing? Black it all out so you can only see the silhouettes. There's a long list of stuff like this with Naruto, and I don't think the fact that it was released in Shonen Jump USA helped with it.
SnaphappyFMA

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:04 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
SnaphappyFMA wrote:
I don't read a lot of talk about production companies and was wondering if I was the only one who thought Sentai's subs were off. Laughing First, I bought the Gintama movie and puzzled over some of the subtitled lines. When someone with one year of college-level Japanese can catch mistakes in subs, you know there's a problem...

Then I bought both seasons of Hakuouki. The subs are tolerable, though still with mistakes, but when I accidentally pushed "English Language" and heard the dub for the first time I nearly broke my computer pushing buttons trying to turn it off and get back to the subtitle setting. The dub is just bad, truly bad. I'm sure the voice actors were doing their best, but... OMG.

I almost wish there was a "Native with No Subs" option where I could just watch it in Japanese without the subs. For a series like Hakuouki that I rewatch frequently, I pretty much remember what they're saying anyway. Wink

There is. You select the Japanese language track and turn the subs off. Pretty simple.

I just checked my Hakuouki discs and there's only "English Language" and "Japanese Language with English Subtitles." Unless there's some way to turn off the subtitles once I've selected the second choice, I'm stuck with the subs.
Kakugo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:19 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
The masters Sentai was supplied with were likely 1080i masters...

Agreed. I didn't mean to imply Sentai was "downgrading" material themselves, merely that someone on the Japanese end was running off 1080i masters for, seemingly, no particular reason.

The other possibility is that 1080i masters are the only thing that exists for King Records titles, but the JP release performed a proper Inverse Telecine immediately before BD encoding. A shame if that's the case, but it's totally possible.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:19 pm Reply with quote
@SnaphappyFMA
If you are watching on a computer it may not be possible to shut off the subtitles. However many DVD and Bluray player remotes have a "subtitle" button which can toggle subtitles on and off. It can also run through the different variations if there is more than one subtitle stream on the disk. The only show I have found this disabled on was "Hikaru no Go" from Viz.
kanechin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:29 pm Reply with quote
no more haruhi but I bet we will see 2 two seasons for nyaruko after W, I hate this world.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:31 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
Kakugo wrote:
samuelp wrote:
I think a lot of the issues with 1080i masters has to do with HDCAM-SR vs. HDCAM...

I know back on the US end there's a lot more 1080i HDCAM vs HDCAM-SR (here the former is a format used for HDTV broadcast more than archival purposes), but I can't for the life of me figure out why anyone would even make a 1080i dub from a 1080p master unless it was specifically requested that way.

And, for the record, 1080p is almost always going to look better than 1080i at the same bitrate, due to a combination of fewer frames per second and no bandwidth being wasted on mis-matched fields. 1080p is much easier to compress, mathematically speaking, and it always makes me shake my head a little when I see a 1080i disc without any "real" 30fps content making that a necessity.

The masters Sentai was supplied with were likely 1080i masters. They generally don't upscale masters and leave them as is, so I doubt they would intentionally downgrade video. As has been mentioned previously, all the titles this has occurred with have been from the same licensors, while their 1080p titles have generally been from different companies. 1080i actually appears to be a more difficult format to work with and compress.

This is most likely just King Records, and others, way of helping prevent the reverse import issue. I suppose its better than only allowing the English track on the Bluray.
1080i to 1080p isn't so much up-scaling, or up-converting, as more simple standards converting. The "i" stands for "interlace" and the "p" stands for "progressive" for simplicity sake think of the two like train rails of a different gauge. One train built for 6 foot width track can not run on a 5 foot 3inch track without having its wheel frames and bolsters converted. Electronically the same applies for 1080i and p. and like the two trains it's going to be best run as it was designed from manufacture and that includes all supporting infrastructure such as receivers/ monitors. 1080i shown on 1080p is going to look pony&trap just as 1080p will on 1080i, and that includes even running it throught the best broadcast converters available. For that reason we avoid it as much as we can.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
1080i to 1080p isn't so much up-scaling, or up-converting, as more simple standards converting. The "i" stands for "interlace" and the "p" stands for "progressive" for simplicity sake think of the two like train rails of a different gauge. One train built for 6 foot width track can not run on a 5 foot 3inch track without having its wheel frames and bolsters converted. Electronically the same applies for 1080i and p. and like the two trains it's going to be best run as it was designed from manufacture and that includes all supporting infrastructure such as receivers/ monitors. 1080i shown on 1080p is going to look pony&trap just as 1080p will on 1080i, and that includes even running it throught the best broadcast converters available. For that reason we avoid it as much as we can.

That's true when dealing with filmed footage (i.e. filmed at 59.94i), but we're talking about anime here. In this day and age everything is produced at 24 frames per second, progressive.
The only exceptions might be credit overlays but even that is rare now.
Since the 1080i broadcast tapes are made by telecining the original progressive footage, it IS possible to 100% reconstruct the original 1080p from a 1080i master, and it will look better compressed, too, because 1080i telecine footage contains 20% duplicate fields which waste bits you wouldn't need at 24p.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
@SnaphappyFMA
If you are watching on a computer it may not be possible to shut off the subtitles. However many DVD and Bluray player remotes have a "subtitle" button which can toggle subtitles on and off. It can also run through the different variations if there is more than one subtitle stream on the disk. The only show I have found this disabled on was "Hikaru no Go" from Viz.

This is also disabled on virtually all Kadokowa blurays releases from Funimation, and the majority of the Aniplex properties they've released on bluray. Viz locks the subs on all of their blurays. NISA has been about 50/50 so far, but like Sentai, they've given warning before the street date.

But as Alan45 stated, you just need to use the subtitle button on the remote, or the subtitle options in the computer program menu. I've personally never encountered DVD playback software that didn't allow you to shut off the subtitles outside of the main DVD menu, but I don't doubt that some exist. Snaphappy, what are you using to play the DVDs?
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
@SnaphappyFMA

You have it backwards with the computer part. On PC, YOU'RE in control. If you rip the disc you can watch the stream files directly with any supporting software player(any of the major ones, except wmp), with subs and all selectable. And I very much doubt those would honor any 'forced' flags even if that was the case with a physical player.

I admit I don't have a release with forced subs to test with. But, if that isn't enough, rip(remux) the video, audio and subs to a mkv container with one of the multitude of ways available, and if the forced flag wasn't pulled down before, it is now.
SnaphappyFMA

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:17 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
@SnaphappyFMA

Yes, I'm just watching the DVDs on a PC. No remote. Thanks for the answer, though.

dragonrider_cody wrote:
But as Alan45 stated, you just need to use the subtitle button on the remote, or the subtitle options in the computer program menu. I've personally never encountered DVD playback software that didn't allow you to shut off the subtitles outside of the main DVD menu, but I don't doubt that some exist. Snaphappy, what are you using to play the DVDs?

A PC. As I stated before, there are literally only two options on the DVDS: "English Language" and "Japanese Language with English Subtitles." If you mean what software - Windows Media Player.

Last edited by SnaphappyFMA on Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:25 am Reply with quote
SnaphappyFMA wrote:

A PC. As I stated before, there are literally only two options on the DVDS: "English Language" and "Japanese Language with English Subtitles."

Yes, but if you're on a PC, you can get around that easily, though you may have to do some googling first.
SnaphappyFMA

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:34 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
SnaphappyFMA wrote:

A PC. As I stated before, there are literally only two options on the DVDS: "English Language" and "Japanese Language with English Subtitles."

Yes, but if you're on a PC, you can get around that easily, though you may have to do some googling first.

I hadn't thought of trying any of the controls on Windows Media Player to see if I could listen to the Japanese audio track without the English subtitles, but maybe there's a way. Or I could download VLC media player or another program. On my old computer I had WinDVD and that worked pretty well. I'm not that familiar with Windows Media Player really.

Edit: Whoa, I found it! On Windows Media Player, you choose Captions: Off, and then it plays with the Japanese audio track and NO ENGLISH SUBS! YES!!! Very Happy

Last edited by SnaphappyFMA on Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:55 pm; edited 2 times in total
Kakugo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:53 am Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
Since the 1080i broadcast tapes are made by telecining the original progressive footage, it IS possible to 100% reconstruct the original 1080p from a 1080i master, and it will look better compressed, too, because 1080i telecine footage contains 20% duplicate fields which waste bits you wouldn't need at 24p.

Possible, sure. But unless you know exactly what you're doing you could cause more harm than good by doing a poor Inverse Telecine. I've seen archival 1080p24 tapes with blatant IVTC fark-ups due to bad field matching. How those were designated better materials than the 1080i30 masters with 3:2 pulldown they were made from is anyone's guess. Crying or Very sad

That said, there's a handful of people in this industry who know how to create a clean 1080p24 master from a 1080i30 tape. I really wish Sentai would invest in one of these people and avoid these problems entirely, but with the positive reviews Bodacious Space Pirates and Mawaru Penguindrum have had, complete with their 1080i presentations, I doubt they think it's worth the cost.

I personally haven't picked up Mawaru Penguindrum yet. Not because I'm not interested, just because... well, there's a thousand other things I'm looking at these days, and it hasn't floated up to the surface yet. It was certainly on my radar, and I don't think a 1080i presentation with compression issues is a deal breaker, but it sure isn't helping nudge me over the edge in front of anything FUNi or NIS is putting out.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5