• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
General Manga Questions & References Thread

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
.Sy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:30 am Reply with quote
I'm curious to know, how often do manga artists in Japan use computers to tone their work? I see a lot of detailed screenwork that looks sort of computer done in shoujo titles such as Fullmoon o Sagashite. It sounds so much easier to tone digitally than to cut out billions of little sticky pieces. (Is this a general manga question, or am I in the wrong place?)
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:38 am Reply with quote
Not sure, but I know that Oku Hiroya (author of Gantz) gets his assistants to generate 3D character models, and he then draws over them. His backgrounds are also done via computer.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:09 am Reply with quote
Kazuhiko wrote:

Looks like doujinshi to me. I don't think they were from a commercial title.

.Sy wrote:
I'm curious to know, how often do manga artists in Japan use computers to tone their work?

Basically every manga-ka nowadays uses computers to finish their work, particularly on color pictures. Even doujinshi artists sometimes use digitized overlays instead of cutting stencils with knives.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Cyborg 009

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:09 pm Reply with quote
frentymon wrote:
Not sure, but I know that Oku Hiroya (author of Gantz) gets his assistants to generate 3D character models, and he then draws over them. His backgrounds are also done via computer.

My method is taking pictures of myself and others in poses, and then I shadow them on the computer. I am sure other artists do that as well.
Kazuhiko

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:02 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Kazuhiko wrote:

Looks like doujinshi to me. I don't think they were from a commercial title.

I know it's from a doujinshi. I was wondering if someone knows the title of the dj it came from.
Monumension

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:58 am Reply with quote
I have a quick Q.

Recently I've been getting into Narutaru aka. Shadow Star by Mohiro Kitoh, but then I was told that Dark Horse had stopped the series due to bad sales. Can anyone confirm this?
I_AM_L

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:53 pm Reply with quote
That's not true. All 12 volumes are out....They're just so OLD bookstores don't usually have it. and they're $15US
TeeJay

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:50 am Reply with quote
Hi guys, this my first post on these forums but I hope I'll post a lot more in the future.
I have a few questions that are bothering me, and they are:
Are Manhwa and Manhua Manga?
Is it wrong to call them Manga?
And how can I tell them apart?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
dragoness_crysta

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:12 am Reply with quote
I have a questino too..about publishing a manga volume...
I live in Greece so when it comes for sending it here in our stores it sure takes some time...
What I want to know ios how much time....I've looked for AB volumes and the next one will be out on February I think.
After how many months will it come in Greek stores? Shocked Confused Crying or Very sad
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Monumension wrote:
I have a quick Q.

Recently I've been getting into Narutaru aka. Shadow Star by Mohiro Kitoh, but then I was told that Dark Horse had stopped the series due to bad sales. Can anyone confirm this?

It's true.

I_AM_L wrote:
That's not true. All 12 volumes are out....They're just so OLD bookstores don't usually have it. and they're $15US

Volume 7 came out in December of '05 and there haven't been any more since then and Dark Horse confirmed that they had stopped in an interview somewhere. However, Dark Horse has stated that they may consider restarting the series at some point and releasing it uncut.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 3:44 am Reply with quote
TeeJay wrote:
Hi guys, this my first post on these forums but I hope I'll post a lot more in the future.
I have a few questions that are bothering me, and they are:
Are Manhwa and Manhua Manga?
Is it wrong to call them Manga?
And how can I tell them apart?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Manhwa and manhua are korean and chinese manga-style comic. Look it up on wikipedia for more indepth explaination.

Is it wrong to call them manga? Well I guess that depend on the situation. It's more correct to say they're manhwa if they're korean comic, but I'm not anal if you call them korean manga. Some people might be real anal about it. so it's better to be correct.

Korean manhwa are created in the left to right style (western), while manga is done from left to right. Best way to seperate them is the author. I'm very familar with the asian culture so if I see soething with kim, or park or min-woo, I know it's a korean author. Same goes with Japanese and Chinese. Best way to know for sure, look it up on google or the encyclopedia here.

In the end, what really matter is if the story is well written and enjoyable, not where it comes from. Very Happy

Last edited by darkhunter on Wed Dec 06, 2006 2:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Arkard

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 7:16 am Reply with quote
I need to know the names of 2 characers from the american edition of Fullmetal Alchemist. 5th volume. That is, if it was published there already.
The names I am looking for are of these characters:
- the son of Dominic, the auto-mail prosthetic.
- his wife (Dominic's daughter in law).
Thanks a million.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:13 am Reply with quote
Arkard wrote:
I need to know the names of 2 characers from the american edition of Fullmetal Alchemist. 5th volume. That is, if it was published there already.
The names I am looking for are of these characters:
- the son of Dominic, the auto-mail prosthetic.
- his wife (Dominic's daughter in law).
Thanks a million.

Hey, the son of dominic (Guy with glasses right)? is Ridel Lecourt. His wife is Satera. Hope this helps and you welcome.
hanachan01

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 12:04 am Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:
Korean manhwa are created in the right the left style (western), while manga is done from left to right.

Don't you mean mahwa goes from left to right and manga goes from right to left? ;P

And I think it's more respectful to call them by their actual names. However, since many people don't know them, I'm not pissed if someone says "manga" instead of "manhwa" or "manhua". Smile
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:26 am Reply with quote
This is quite puzzling, and probably could use an explanation. I bought 3 Trigun volumes a little while ago, and these were the Shonen Captain version of the manga. I have read that Shonen Captain was cancelled, and that the series was picked up later by another magazine. Hence, Trigun Maximum, if I'm not mistaken. Now, is Trigun Maximum the series that is entered into the encyclopedia, since there's more than three volumes listed? Was this series that I have included in Maximum?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 45