• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime/Manga/Game Events Cancelled After March 11 Quake

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:49 pm Reply with quote
dang... just thinking of how tragic this is just makes me want to cry... even if the number of dead and injured is low there's all the damage it causes to property and all the trying to get things back to normal. heck, a minor personal tragedy can take a long time to recover from, a set of disasters like this that hit so many directly and even more indirectly... it's staggering to think of how hard it has to be on everyone affected. even tho my doctor doesn't want me donating blood if I knew a way to assure it would get there I'd donate in a minute. sure, I'd have a bad fibro flare that could last for weeks, but since I'm unemployed right now that wouldn't be a big deal (and living in MIchigan it would likely take me longer to get a new job than it would to recover from a blood donation induced fibro flare).
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
My cousin and his family are fine. So far, from my own Twitter feeds, no-one has broken anything more serious than shelves and anime figures and

Thank you for this feed, glad to also know your family is doing well. My best wishes go out to Japan now.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Aura Ichadora wrote:
Now there's a report of another 6.6 magnitude earthquake in Japan.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20110311/ts_nm/us_japan_quake_niigata

I feel so bad for anyone in Japan, and really hope everyone will be all right. I have a friend (stationed in the Air Force) and his fiancee over there, and while he posted on Facebook last night that he was all right, it still makes me worried with the tsunami and aftershocks, and now this. x.x
These are after shocks, basically seismic echos of the first shock, and could keep ocurring for about a month. NHK say the death toll could be well over 1000 I just hope and pray it's not well over 10,000. A ship with 80 passengers, and two commuter trains are missing completely. My heart and prayers go out to all who have been affected by this reminder that when it comes to this planet, we are [not] in control.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Sadly, 2011 seems to be shaping up as the year of the earthquake. There's the one in New Zealand a few weeks ago that killed 168 people and destroyed big chunks of Christchurch. I've felt incredibly mild tremors a few times in my life - I can't even imagine how terrifying it must be to be caught in the real deal.
rare_pvk

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:18 pm Reply with quote
This was the 7th largest earthquake in modern history. Hopefully Japan, as one of the most prepared countries for this kind of situations, will be back on its feet in no time.
gamersglory

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:18 pm Reply with quote
https://www.mercycorps.org/donate/japan

over 80% of your money gos directly to releaf
chefneer
Aria Company

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Aura Ichadora wrote:
Now there's a report of another 6.6 magnitude earthquake in Japan.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20110311/ts_nm/us_japan_quake_niigata

I feel so bad for anyone in Japan, and really hope everyone will be all right. I have a friend (stationed in the Air Force) and his fiancee over there, and while he posted on Facebook last night that he was all right, it still makes me worried with the tsunami and aftershocks, and now this. x.x
These are after shocks, basically seismic echos of the first shock, and could keep ocurring for about a month. NHK say the death toll could be well over 1000 I just hope and pray it's not well over 10,000. A ship with 80 passengers, and two commuter trains are missing completely. My heart and prayers go out to all who have been affected by this reminder that when it comes to this planet, we are [not] in control.

It's just been reported that 4 trains are now confirmed missing. They were all running on coastal lines which put them directly in the way of the tsunami. Not good. One can only hope that it's nothing more serious than a communications issue and they didn't take a direct hit.
Genet

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:48 pm Reply with quote
The 6.6 that hit over an hour ago was apparently on a different fault, so it was considered a different earthquake and not an aftershock, or something like that.
malvarez1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Oh man, wow. This is awful. I will pray for everyone in Japan.
Nunzia

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:12 pm Reply with quote
For people concerned about Seiyuu status, on 2ch there seems to be a complete list divided in male/female categories with the names of the ones that have confirmed being fine on the web.
It's here:
http://raicho.2ch.net/test/read.cgi/news4vip/1299868701/

So, if you're concerned about a seiyuu, get on the page, go to the search feature of your browser and put in the Kanji of his/her name, if the name is in one of the posts with the complete list (the ones with the huge amount of text and names in kanji) then he/she is fine
SDAnimeFan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:26 pm Reply with quote
My thoughts and prayers go out to everyone effected by this.
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:11 pm Reply with quote
I just saw pictures of Tokyo Disneyland... It's like "51 Ways To Save Her" came true. scary stuff.
Sailor Star Dust

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:01 pm Reply with quote
That Evangelion Classroom event animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2011-02-18/evangelion-classroom-to-be-recreated-in-hakone was canceled after the Earthquake/Tsunami. Source: http://www.phv-eva.jp/topics/?p=220

And I'm somewhat worried, I don't see Mitsuishi Kotono in that Japanese listing...

My thoughts and prayers go out to everybody affected! Please donate to Red Cross or another organization, even if it's only a little! Every bit helps!
Banken

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:38 pm Reply with quote
I dodged a bullet with this one... closer than Tokyo but there was no serious damage here that I know of. Power didn't even go out.
Katane

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:53 pm Reply with quote
What I'm gathering is that the death toll has reached around 1,000 and I'm cringing just thinking about it. Haiti, Chile, China, Pakistan now Japan all have been recently been devastated by this unpredictable force of nature. I just wish their was a way to anyone could get a lease some sort of a prediction on when earthquakes are going happen, that way more lives could be spared.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8