• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Cartoon Network Less Cartoony

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chosren One

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 3:57 am Reply with quote
Abarenbo Shogun wrote:
Chrno2 wrote:
So what's going to happen to the 'Toonami' line up? Or the 'Adult Swim?' or 'Teen Titans'?

Here's hoping they show Battle Royale on [adult swim]. Laughing

lol, don't hold your breath on that one...
MeggieMay

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 5:44 am Reply with quote
I think this is a really bad idea, as well. If I wanted to watch live action movies, I have 100 other channels to chose from. I also don't see how this is going to help CN's ratings Mad.

Oh well, I guess all I can hope for is for this to bomb big time in the ratings and for CN to re-think there plans after that happens Confused.
QXZ

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 7:54 am Reply with quote
I caught wind of this news on another web site, and Evil or Very Mad I'm not very happy about it.

I have absolutely no problem with Who Framed Roger Rabbit? being shown on Cartoon Network; its the only one of the four films that seems to fit the channel description. But the other three scheduled movies... sorry. I'd rather sit down and watch long overdue reruns of Tex Avery, Bob Clampett, and Chuck Jones cartoons.

Quote:
PantsGoblin wrote:
Haven't they already been showing a bunch of non-cartoon things...

Yep -- they're called commercials. Anime smile + sweatdrop
Ataru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:33 pm Reply with quote
QXZ wrote:
Quote:
PantsGoblin wrote:
Haven't they already been showing a bunch of non-cartoon things...

Yep -- they're called commercials. Anime smile + sweatdrop
They do live action "skits" durning their "Friday's" show. There a... dork... some female... and puppets that were kick out of Seasme Street.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Swordfish_II

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, but they're "hosting". Not actual programs.
Izlude

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Jesus people it's just a tv channel, there's more to life than tv, my god. So what if Cartoon Network decides to air a few "cartoony" live action films, big deal. It doesnt mean the entire Network is gonna be filled with them every single day and re-run them to death. Jesus. Calm down!

Ya people exaggerate like nuts. Just chill-out. It's not the end of the world, much less Cartoon Network. They will still continue to bring "the best" in animation for kids of all ages, original animation and anime. It's not a bad thing if they decide to include a few classics and underlooked live action films. It just shows they CN is continuing to evolve and change into something better.

Small Soldiers kicked ass, I hope they run it unedited Razz
Proman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Another step in a completely wrong direction for Cartoon Network.
poweranime

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:13 pm Reply with quote
wow... this is something else... they probably got a good deal with purchasing the rights to air these titles... and it sounds like they're trying to hit home with the late 20's generation (most movies having been shown during my childhood and early teen years).

I wish they'd use that money to re-air some of the campy 80's classic cartoons so we can all understand more about some of the things in Family Guy... like maybe GI Joe, Centurion, Silver Hawks, Thunder Cats, Dinosaucers, COPS, Jem, Kid Video, Dragon's Lair, Smurfs, He-Man (the old school gay-looking one)... of course I'd want more anime... and at least they're throwing down some Gigantor now =)
scatteredshadows

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Izlude wrote:
Jesus people it's just a tv channel, there's more to life than tv, my god. So what if Cartoon Network decides to air a few "cartoony" live action films, big deal. It doesnt mean the entire Network is gonna be filled with them every single day and re-run them to death. Jesus. Calm down!

Ya people exaggerate like nuts. Just chill-out. It's not the end of the world, much less Cartoon Network. They will still continue to bring "the best" in animation for kids of all ages, original animation and anime. It's not a bad thing if they decide to include a few classics and underlooked live action films. It just shows they CN is continuing to evolve and change into something better.

If that's true, tell me when will MTV go back to music videos? Or when will Bravo return to airing predominantly cultural programming? Evolution and change do not necessarily go hand in hand with improvement, especially when profit is the sole driving factor. There are examples of channels that have evolved for the better, such as TNT and USA (Although they really should become the 'Law & Order' and 'Law & Order: SVU' channels respectively). There are many more failures though.

Finally, just because people offer commentary in a passionate way, doesn't mean that that particular issue consumes their thoughts to the exclusion of everything else. Has anyone said their world will collapse because of this? That they will be left with nothing but a bloody stump because of changes at CN? No.

If you feel that there is no place for people to voice their views on anime or television, or anime on television, why are you here? Why aren't you debating media policy, the IMF, moderate versus radical Islam, or the potential for stagflation in our current economy, since they are far more important in the overall scheme? It really doesn't make much sense to spend time ridiculing others for expressing their views, especially when you don't really know what they've done with the 99% of their day that wasn't spent on these particular forums.
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:58 pm Reply with quote
DON'T WATCH THE MOVIES! Keep the ratings down so that they'll see that this is not what people want. Because if we don't, it'll be MTV and G4 all over again. Both networks have lost their meaning at this point. MTV isn't about music anymore, it's about reality shows. G4 isn't about video games anymore, it's now trying to be the next Spike TV by airing shows that have absolutely nothing to do with video games like Formula D and the Man Show.

Boycott these movies on CN and their ratings will go down and maybe something will happen.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Izlude wrote:
It doesnt mean the entire Network is gonna be filled with them every single day and re-run them to death.

You...haven't seen how Cartoon Network tends to schedule things lately, have you? They not only air the same five shows over and over again with next to nothing else, but of all the episodes those five shows have to offer, they only pick like three or four of each to play over and over and over and over and over and over again as opposed to just running the four-dozen or so that make up each show's entire run!

As ridiculously self-limiting as Cartoon Network is with their scheduling, you can bet your ass they'll be replaying these movies way more than any sane person ever would.

poweranime wrote:
and it sounds like they're trying to hit home with the late 20's generation

Which is why I've been saying for years now that they should...

poweranime wrote:
re-air some of the campy 80's classic cartoons ... like maybe GI Joe, Centurion, Silver Hawks, Thunder Cats, Dinosaucers, COPS, Jem, Kid Video, Dragon's Lair, Smurfs, He-Man (the old school gay-looking one)...

If they want to capture that older market, they should air the cartoons that we all grew up with, not the bottom-of-the-bucket live action crap that came about five years after we hit puberty.

Also, wow. Someone else actually remembers Dinosaucers. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Glory Questor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 7:20 pm Reply with quote
*sigh* Even I thought it was too good to be true.

I mean, first they dumped the original Adult Swim Saturday for the more all-ages (TV-PG) Saturday, which ultimately was more like a very looong version of Toonami. Sure, it featured a few good shows (.hack//SIGN, Ruroni Kenshin), but paired it up with ultimately unusual (Knights of the Zodiac in lieu of Saint Seiya?) and run-oh-so-many-times (Samurai Jack) shows that it was just ... not a very good block to watch.

(Perhaps with a sense of irony, the last movie for the original Adult Swim Saturday was Char's Counterattack. Confused )

Being a weekday worker, I never caught [as] in its 11pm-5am weekday slots (and still do not). In fact, the Saturday block is the only block on CN I ever watch ... and I'm sure I'm not alone in this.

So, now they finally bring back Adult Swim anime block on Saturday, airing a lot of great shows from not just BANDAI (matching up s-CRY-ed with new InuYasha, Paranoia Agent, Samurai Champloo), and the return of FLCL to top it off.

This is the perfect anime block ... I've been hoping that whoever is the programming director of [as] would keep it this way. With their channel being the only real source of Basic cable anime, I'm not surprised that [as] did well when it split from CN for ratings reasons.

Now, this happens -- CN airing live-action family movies, possibly in [as] timeslots. Any bets they will pick the best time to air them, where kids can stay up and watch them ...like *ahem* SATURDAYS?

Hey, they did it before, turning Saturdays into an odd all-ages thing ... why not again? Evil or Very Mad
The Frankman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Izlude wrote:

Small Soldiers kicked ass, I hope they run it unedited Razz

I liked Small Soliders also. Just to hit on another point, doesn't this sound like when the Narutards were screaming "ONONARUTOWILLBSHREDEDCNSUX". How about we wait and see if (as most of the board seems to think) LA movies will slowly take over Cartoon Network?
Tenchi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:39 pm Reply with quote
That must be a damn high-quality barrel you have there if you consider The Goonies to be at the absolute bottom of it. As far as live-action purely children's movies from the 1980s go, I think only The Princess Bride and, possibly, the first Neverending Story film have comparable Internet "cult" followings.

You don't have to like The Goonies yourself, but, from a decade that also produced, to name just a few high-profile live-action kid's movie stinkers, Garbage Pail Kids: The Movie, the live-action Masters of the Universe movie, and, of course, Mac and Me (and I'm sure there are dozens of other even more dreadful 1980s live-action kid's movies like that that aren't even dredged up as nostalgia items for their cheese value), to call it "bottom of the barrel" is kind of a stretch.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Kyuuketsuki_Kurai wrote:
IanC wrote:
Urrr, whats so "adult" about Roger Rabbit?

The fact that Jessica Rabbit started out in adult cartoons to begin with?

uhh... what?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7