• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: America's 2009 Anime Market Pegged at US$2.741 Billion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:04 pm Reply with quote
firedragon54738 wrote:
Well it seem that Funi and Viz keep growing while the other one are shrinking

Market share growth means nothing if its not accompanied by an increase in sales and profits. Their increase in market share doesn't even come close to compensating for the decline in overall sales, 5% share increase per year versus a 50%+ decline in sales overall.
Otaku Teahouse

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Yuna53 wrote:

Uh... you do realize that many Americans can't afford to import all the time. We have a life that requires bills to pay or the very means of watching anime on computers or online can be shanked if the bills aren't met. We aren't greedy, its just many can't afford spending $100 dollars or more on an import when they have to pay bills every month.

Also, its great to put money in the hands of the original creators, but buying from anime companies who actually license the anime is just as good, because not only do you support the people who spent all this time making it for you, you also support the creators because they are paid the royalties from the Anime licensor. Saying that licensors are not supporting the original creators is just ludicrous because If they weren't supporting the original creators, Then why would they be selling it in the first place? That would violate international copyright law and that company would be flat out sued and shut down.

The American market may be small for anime, but it still is a great part of the Japanese anime industry because a good portion of anime sales comes from overseas sales. Saying that it doesn't matter to the Japanese anime industry isn't true as well, its like saying that sales Overseas mean nothing to the American cartoon market. For a large industry to survive, it would require enough demand to keep it running. Loosing that demand overseas could become a very heavy loss to the industry itself.

Oh, I never said that buying from Funi or any other R1 company doesn't support the Japanese industry, they do. Just keep in mind, there's a lot of extra business that needs to be done in order to license. I say it supports more to import because, well, whoever is doing so is paying a lot more money. I exclusively buy R1 blurays/dvds, because it's cheaper for the same product.
NGK

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:18 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Number of licensed lolies in 2010: zero.

no pantsu Strike Witches 2 licensed by FUNi in 2010

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2010-07-30/funimation-adds-hetalia-world-series-strike-witches-2
NGK

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:26 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:
You really think the anime industry can sustain itself only in Japan?

Yes. We call it importing.

You import a JDM anime bluray/DVD that doesn't even have subtitles.

Then what's the next step after that.... pirating?

all a rouge online subber has to do is rip the Bluray disc content, sub it, then release on P2P and direct download.
agila61

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
true enough but i think with cr, ann and anime network's subscriptions it helps and every bit helps in the end after all but hmm there is still a big market for dvd's and blurays due to the fact that some people like me like to share their hobby. I just want to see where this is going to head is all.
It certainly can help ... the following is the equivalent from US Consumer Home Retail as a whole (pdf), with levels in $billions, rental and sell-through spending, and year on year changes in parentheses (note "VHS" below is actually "VHS/UMD", and "BD" below is actually "BD/Hi-Def"):

2000: VHS $11.4b | DVD $2.4b | BD $0.0b | Digital $0.7b | Total $14.5
2001: VHS $10.9b | DVD $5.3b | BD $0.0b | Digital $0.7b | Total $16.9b (+$2.4b)
2002: VHS $9.6b | DVD $8.6b | BD $0.0b | Digital $0.7b | Total $19.0b (+$2.1b)
2003: VHS $6.9b | DVD $13.1b | BD $0.0b | Digital $0.7b | Total $20.7 (+$1.7b)
2004: VHS $4.4b | DVD $16.7b | BD $0.0b | Digital $0.7b | Total $21.8 (+$1.8b)
2005: VHS $2.1b | DVD $18.9b | BD $0.0b | Digital $0.8b | Total $21.7 (-$0.1b)
2006: VHS $0.4b | DVD $20.2b | BD $0.0b | Digital $1.0b | Total $21.6 (-$0.1b)
2007: VHS $0.1b | DVD $19.7b | BD $0.3b | Digital $1.3b | Total $21.4 (-$0.2b)
2008: VHS $0.1b | DVD $18.4b | BD $0.9b | Digital $1.6b | Total $21.0 (-$0.4b)
2009: VHS $0.0b | DVD $15.8b | BD $1.5b | Digital $2.1b | Total $19.4 (-$1.6b)
2010: VHS $0.0b | DVD $14.0b | BD $2.3b | Digital $2.5b | Total $18.8 (-$1.6b)

So the total market has declined by $1.6b in each of the last two years ~ shy of a 10% drop ~ but without the growth in new media ~ BD and Digital ~ the decline would have been $2.7b in 2009 and $2.8b in 2010.

With Digital at 17% of DVD overall, if anime can achieve the same, it would be worth an additional $34m on top of DVD sales of $200m.

Last edited by agila61 on Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:53 pm Reply with quote
NGK wrote:
egoist wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:
You really think the anime industry can sustain itself only in Japan?

Yes. We call it importing.

You import a JDM anime bluray/DVD that doesn't even have subtitles.

all a rouge online subber has to do is rip the Bluray disc content, sub it, then release on P2P and direct download.

you had to go there didn't you really just really?? people that do fan-subs guess where the live at JAPAN, there the ones that upload the raws online for that from tv rips etc then people download and do the rest, same goes for blurays and dvd's If I want to import higurqashi season 2 and reii ovas because no o e here picked them up guess what I WILL, and some people, not you perhaps can watch anime with out subs "omg is that such a surprise" I don't think some paying around 1400 dollars for the complete collection of ccs is going to rip and upload after importing it on bly ray, to be fair region restrictions are stupid and enable piracy by limiting what people are able to see and play, so what do you think fans are going to do. I have a region free dvd player so I don't have a care in the world.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zcooldoc

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:12 pm Reply with quote
after reading this post, i can't help wondering if the drop in the dvd sales is the result of poor titles release - or too few -for this year.

personally i only buy dvd/ BR anime if it is dubbed in a language i am fluent at ( English/french/Italian).

so far this year there are not much titles released that warrent me buying them - I look for interesting stories, art quality and rewatch value.
FMA, Guin saga, Eden of the east movies, Highschool of the Dead, and the rest of Gundam 00 are so far the only titles i think i will be buying this year.
sometimes it makes me wonder who choose the titles that are being released, every season there is usually 2 shows that are unique, yet are not picked for US distribution - with dubbing that is.

as for the goods, sure i try to order them from US/ European stores
and if i can't find them then i get them from Japan.

one thing i will like to say - my personal opinion- i think it is crazy buying a DVD for 100$ in a different region and in a language i don't understand, beside - especially for anime - i want to look at the art and the animation, reading subtitles will distract for the experience.
beside for that money i can buy usually the whole series and save money for my yearly travel plans.
anyway i hope that the US distributors can turn this figure around, by being smart about what they import and knowing that there are always fans like me who will always buy their DVD as longs as they present us with quality intelligent shows.

ciao
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:28 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:
Most of the character goods are from Pokemon, you remove pokemon and the character goods are down by more than half. The average anime fan isn't going to buy body pillows. You're making the same mistake bandai visual made which was expecting that you can easily make money by simply using business models aimed at the japanese.

You realize that 40% (taking out Pokemon) of $2.420 Billion is still a lot more than the $306 Million DVD/BD makes, right? It's about 3x as much, actually. Why you're even excluding Pokemon is beyond me since anime is anime, but when you do, Character Goods still kicks Home Entertainment's ass.

And you do realize character goods are a lot more than body pillows, right? Please tell me you're not forgetting plushies, keychains, and figures. It doesn't take an otaku to buy a $30 nendoroid of their favorite character.

Yes character goods are a large market but it is a market that is going to be concentrated on fewer shows compared to DVDs. The problem is that with anime the successes tend to be insanely successful while a ton of other anime lose money. The wealth isn't shared enough for it to have a large varied market.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:43 pm Reply with quote
zcooldoc wrote:
after reading this post, i can't help wondering if the drop in the dvd sales is the result of poor titles release - or too few -for this year.

personally i only buy dvd/ BR anime if it is dubbed in a language i am fluent at ( English/french/Italian).

so far this year there are not much titles released that warrent me buying them - I look for interesting stories, art quality and rewatch value.
FMA, Guin saga, Eden of the east movies, Highschool of the Dead, and the rest of Gundam 00 are so far the only titles i think i will be buying this year.
sometimes it makes me wonder who choose the titles that are being released, every season there is usually 2 shows that are unique, yet are not picked for US distribution - with dubbing that is.

as for the goods, sure i try to order them from US/ European stores
and if i can't find them then i get them from Japan.

one thing i will like to say - my personal opinion- i think it is crazy buying a DVD for 100$ in a different region and in a language i don't understand, beside - especially for anime - i want to look at the art and the animation, reading subtitles will distract for the experience.
beside for that money i can buy usually the whole series and save money for my yearly travel plans.
anyway i hope that the US distributors can turn this figure around, by being smart about what they import and knowing that there are always fans like me who will always buy their DVD as longs as they present us with quality intelligent shows.

ciao

I would have to agree on some level while i am looking forward to funi's release of index/rail-gun it well hmmm. I think that most shows only get picked up from japann due to the sales there in japan. If anime there doesn't make a good price or market it won't be picked up here case and point dennou coil "the ipod touch app does not count" or the anime "kurenia"which i know has more Japanese traditions and issues than most western fans are used to but that's why i got into anime in the 1st place
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
yuna49

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Though Dennou Coil and Kure-nai are two of my favorite anime, their sales in Japan weren't all that stellar. Coil averaged slightly over 2,500 copies per release (nine in all); Kure-nai sold an average of 1,900 copies over its six releases.

To put the latter figure in perspective, Baccano! averaged nearly 3,400 copies, while both seasons of Natsume Yuujinchou topped 10,000.

Among other Madhouse titles, Black Lagoon outsold Coil by about two-to-one. Sales for Chi's Sweet Home and Abenobashi Mahou Shoutengai were about on a par with Coil. Chobits is in the same league as Natsume at around 10,000 copies per release; Death Note sold an average of 15,000.

Then there are titles that occupy a whole other world in terms of sales. K-ON and Haruhi both averaged over 40,000 copies per release. Other KyoAni shows like Lucky*Star and Clannad averaged 25-30,000.

I find it instructive to visit Amazon and look at anime titles ranked by sales volumes. Funimation's list, for instance, has a few new blockbusters like the Eva and FLCL remakes and FMA: Brotherhood at the top of the list, but starting around rank ten, it's dominated by Dragon Ball Z. Even Amazon's sales probably don't mirror the results at places like BestBuy where more casual fans are likely to be making purchases.

If you look at the "anime" category at Amazon ranked by "best selling" you'll see most Ghibli titles near the top of the list. Intriguingly, moe~ shows hardly appear anywhere on the list at all. Clannad Complete Collection, for instance, ranks around 170th.

There's just an enormous disconnect between the types of shows that people who post on anime boards watch and the types of shows that sell well in R1.

Last edited by yuna49 on Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
agila61

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:31 pm Reply with quote
zcooldoc wrote:
after reading this post, i can't help wondering if the drop in the dvd sales is the result of poor titles release - or too few - for this year.

personally i only buy dvd/ BR anime if it is dubbed in a language i am fluent at (English/french/Italian). ...
I doubt its the whole story, but it is quite possibly a big part of it.

Of course, one issue is how much of the total market value consists of series that never returned their cost of production: "losing" $50m in sales that cost $70m to produce is not, after all, bad news to the long term health of the industry.

Another issue is that in the boom years, firms were picking up the cream of the crop over a decade or more, while if the cream of the crop has already been picked up, that leaves the industry much more dependent on the quality of the last couple of year's anime.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:53 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
Intriguingly, moe~ shows hardly appear anywhere on the list at all. Clannad Complete Collection, for instance, ranks around 170th.

And Clannad After Story Complete Collection ranks 41st as of now.

And the only anime series ahead of it that hasn't appeared on cable TV is Claymore and Hetalia. I'd say that's pretty good, particularly since it's just a DVD collection

One thing to understand is that those positions are only for a short period of time. As far as I know, there's no long-term top 100 sales chart of anything in Amazon.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:12 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:

And you do realize character goods are a lot more than body pillows, right? Please tell me you're not forgetting plushies, keychains, and figures. It doesn't take an otaku to buy a $30 nendoroid of their favorite character.

And a lot of that stuff are likely licensed merchandise such as Yugi-Oh cards or Bakugan toys or Beyblade tops or children T-shirts or plastic cups or pajamas, etc. Not otaku stuff.

zcooldoc wrote:

Well, "poor" is different to different people. But the large # of releases, the larger the #, the more it evens things out for everyone, making it less of a factor.

Of course, the # of releases has been decreasing, but has it decreased enough to be a significant factor....

Last edited by enurtsol on Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:16 pm Reply with quote
NGK wrote:

No. I pirate or stream about everything I watch whether or not I import. I'm through with discs.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:43 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
NGK wrote:

No. I pirate or stream about everything I watch whether or not I import. I'm through with discs.

and your honestly going to pretend that the anime market is doing fine?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6