• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Absolute Boyfriend GN 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheoryGirl

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:54 pm Reply with quote
How about Hand Maid May and Buttobi CPU, just to name two more? But I agree, there have been plenty of Girlfriend Robot animes, and not too many Boyfriend Robot ones (in fact, I can't think of any other than Absolute Boyfriend).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Perhaps I'm alone in hoping that rather than flooding the shelves with shallow garbage that panders to women because there's already a bunch of shallow garbage that appeals to men, we instead wish there were simply less shallow pandering garbage.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Zac: There are certainly a number of shallow manga series for both genders ("Doubt" and "I's", anyone?), but I don't consider Absolute Boyfriend to be one of those titles. It might be a little flakey, but its heart is in the right place, which is more than I can say for most robot lover titles.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 12:32 am Reply with quote
Although, if you read Chobits, it is quite a bit deeper than it initially seems.

Anyway, I think it is worth pointing out that Yuu Watase's recent works take common genres or premises and give them a Watase spin. Alice 19th was Watase's take on the Magical Girl genre, Imadoki! Nowadays was Watase's take on the "Common-Girl-Gets-Into-Prestigious-Rich-Person-School" premise, and Absolute Boyfriend is Watase's version of the "Perfect-Robot-Partner-of-the-Opposite-Sex" premise, which actually seems less common than the previous premise she used. Honestly, I wouldn't be at all suprised if her next work involves a girl crossdressing to go to an all boy school for whatever reason.

My point here is that it isn't supposed to be terribly original. That doesn't mean it is good, but it shouldn't be written off just because it unoriginal or pandering to the fans. I'm not trying to say the reviewer (or anyone else) is right or wrong. I just don't think people should knock it just because it is reminiscent of Chobits.

My opinion of the series: It's my least favorite of Watase's works. I find it mediocre at best. Heck, the best part of the series so far was Riiko's flashback to taking a bath with her father (that scene was hilarious). And I really hope Riiko ends up with Soshi instead of Night. But since Night looks like Tamahome, that is extremely unlikely.
Wing_Goddess

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:02 am Reply with quote
After reading the summary on the back of the manga it's pretty obvious that it's a light hearted love comedy series. When reading it i wasn't expecting much at all. Of course, it's directed WAY more to females but it doesn't mean guys can't read it either =P After reading the whole series, i found it to be sweet, funny and simple. I wouldn't say it's near a legendary work of art, but i think it was a fun read. Sadly some scenes and even characters were useless. The ending was sad and a bit enexpected. A good read for people who like their love stories... or bishies =P Overall i found this pretty good and should be given a chance and not expect so much from it ^__^
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4