• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Golden Time (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:57 am Reply with quote
spoiler[And then our protagonists run into a Scientology division.
The long talk about the Amnesia was blatant foreshadowing to how Koko will eventually change her mind about Mitsuo and that she pretty much has had only a childhood crush on the guy because he was the only one "different" around Koko at the time.]
Hentai_JP

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:10 pm Reply with quote
@ DuskyPredator do you have "exempt from grammar rules" title available to you? No? You should ask mods for the privilege of bearing one, you deserve it. Very Happy

Golden Time
episodes 1-3.

In short - I like it. I recall watching and enjoying the first episode before reading any reviews in the Fall Preview Guide and then I read all the bashing. That made me question just why was it good for me. Now with 3 episodes out I can more or less express the flaws and strength of the show. First of all - first episode is borderline disaster. It gives a very different impression with the "dating sim" type of flow while few will see the potential of a good romance it seems to be. Then in the episode 2 there was a very silly impression of tea club's celebration (come on! people are not that easily pushed over). But then, Kouko's first appearance was awesome, Banri and Mitsuo's 'fight' over Kouko was very believable and properly handled and the episode 3 confessions are surely revealing of the characters. I had guessed that Kouko's hang up on Mitsuo was a self perpetuating downfall into loneliness with continuous tunnel vision and I was right. No friends, one goal she can't abandon if she wanted to. Not without outside help at least. And here is where Banri comes in.

I have to say that so far it is pretty good. The story has the potential to go both ways and its very much unclear as to how the other two female characters are going to play out. Because if all tree end up romantically interested in Banri the show will fall into crappy harem category.

I bet Golden Time will not stoop to that level however. Also, Yui Horie is voicing Kouko and singing both OP and ED themes!
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Kouko in Episode 3 got much more interesting. It would seem that she is not totally oblivious to Mitsuo's attitude towards her and she has managed to a bit of introspection about herself. People can end up feeling isolated for all sorts of reasons that might not make sense to others and it looks like she is a case of that. It doesn't excuse the stalking really but it looks to me like she can grow out of it.

As far as the silly plot, I can relate. And it is not so silly. I did my teen years in the 60s and 70s and we had lots of cults trying to recruit all the time. I've been pressed by Scientologists, Moonies, Hare Krishna, Erhards weird thing "est" and a couple I can't even remember the names of it. My two older sisters were in a cult for a while -- they called themselves Nichiren Shōshū Buddhists chanting Nam-yoho-rengei-ko all the time and I suspect it reflected what really happened in Japan about as well as anime did at the time. Personally I was never in danger of being inducted since my sense of self possession was never fragile enough, just like the candidates in the episode that made a fuss when they realized what was going on. (5 hours of videos -- clue much?)
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:06 am Reply with quote
Ep 3 was better. I thought it was interesting that she was trying to be a little devious and self serving spoiler[by trying to become friends with Banri so she could get closer to Mitsuo].

When I saw the club members spoiler[drive up dressed in uniforms my first thought was "cult!"] but I said to myself "nah" and then it did go there which was cool. I just wish that it was handled a little better. When the club members were toasting their acquisition of new members it kind of struck me as off spoiler[like they were acting as cultists in front of everybody but once the majority of people were gone they were now acting like they were in a club]. The transition didn't work for me.

The whole show feels a little artificial to me in how its presented. Unlike this season's Nagi no Asukara which takes place in a more fantasy setting I'm finding it difficult to buy into this story and I like slice of life stuff. I'm finding it difficult to care about these characters or to find them interesting. I think I'll give it one more episode and if it doesn't grab me then I'll put it on hold and wait for reviews to change my mind.
Catseyetiger

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:41 am Reply with quote
I have enjoyed watching it so far, but thought Torandora was the better anime.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:10 pm Reply with quote
It was tough to see Kouko go full spoiler[b%$^@ mode], but at least she realized she did a terrible thing. I wasn't expecting a spoiler[confession] so soon.
Hentai_JP

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Episode 4! Daumn! This one is a head and shoulder above 1-3 taken together. Story is progressing in the right direction imho, with spoiler[confession and breakup]. Oh and the 'girl from the past' is a very cliche move so it's up to the execution and further plot twists to make it work well. Lets hope it keeps getting greater than the sum of it's parts.

Also, poor Chinami... she got chewed out by a strange posessive bitch of a woman for reasons she did not understand. spoiler["Kouko b%$^@ mode"©] scene was amazing. Kouko is a piece of work alright, hope he learns to handle her quickly.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Episode 4
Holy snap, Koko sure can get aggressive when she gets spoiler[jealous. I think she went a bit overboard though.]

The episode was kinda funny and emotional same time.spoiler[ The funny part is when Koko and Banri went to that nightclub. Nana] reference spotted lol. I do recommend that show btw as it's one of my favorites.

I think the most important part of the episode is when spoiler[Banri saw some photographs from his past relating to him and Linda. So in other words, they've known each other before and since he has that case of amnesia, he obviously doesn't remember it.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:50 pm Reply with quote
When Koko goes spoiler[COMPLETE B**ch, it isn't played for laughs and it isn't worked off as some sort of "tsundere moment", and everyone involved at the very least is uncomfortable or rightfully angered by her queen B**ch attitude.]
And that is pretty much how Mitsuo sees Koko and why he doesn't want to have anything to do with her regardless if they were childhood friends or not.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:56 pm Reply with quote
No i think Mitsuo still wants to be friends with koko. After all he said many times in their conversation that she was still very special to him. He just doesn't want to date her for the sake of it or out of pity because he feels that would make her unhappy.

Unlike Koko he is thinking about HER happiness and not just his own.
Riddley

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Oh hai friends....

Loving this series so far. What I loved about Toradora! was the depth of the writing and i'm seeing glimpses of it in this one. I think if there was more episodes we'd see it run more along the lines of Toradora!, but since we've only 12 eppys it's moving super fast.

Still, I'm enjoying the hell out of it. Of all the shows i've been watching, Golden Time is the one I found myself looking forward to this week. And with Coppelion, Kill la Kill, and Nagi no Asukara, that's a damn tall feat.

It's too early to talk about the characters yet imho, even though we're at eppy 4. Their still too 2D as yet. The only character I feel any connection with is Koko. Everything revolves around her so hard to get attached to Banri and Mitsuo really.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Golden Time's BD/DVD releases show that it will be a 2 cour/~24 episode series.
Riddley

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:

ORLY? Encyclopedia needs updating then. Says 12 on there.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Riddley wrote:
Megiddo wrote:

ORLY? Encyclopedia needs updating then. Says 12 on there.

The encyclopedia is worthless for judging the total length of a show as it is running. The line you're looking at "Episode titles" is number of episodes aired plus the episodes that have currently scheduled by a verifiable method. Shows are scheduled by season, the next cour of episodes are not formally on a schedule at a set time so they are not listed yet.
Look at it this way, a long-running ongoing show like Naruto Shippuden lists 340 episodes, but that doesn't mean they're stopping at 340, that's just the number of past episodes plus the episodes scheduled through this season. A finished show, like the original Naruto has a separate line that lists " Number of episodes: 220" but an encyclopedia page pretty much only adds this line when the show is finished.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:48 pm Reply with quote
I always use MyAnimeList to check how many episodes an anime will have.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 22