• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Manga Cut Short Due To Author's Health

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Looked up With the Light cause of the comments. Dammit, now theres another manga I wanna own, but of course its outta print T-T

Looks like Im gonna do some hardcore ebay hunting for a while. Maybe I'll get lucky like I did with Twin spica

Actually, WTL isn't out of print. There's still some copies being made, and if you're lucky, you can find them in libraries. They're still on Amazon and other online retailers.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:51 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised that there was no mention of Kannagi: Crazy Shrine Maidens, which got cut short soon after the anime adaptation aired due to an, as far as I know, unspecified illness afflicting mangaka Eri Takenashi (though many otaku suspect it was because of the controversy surrounding Nagi's previous boyfriend), which left not enough source material to produce a second season of the anime without resorting to some serious filler, although I did grow to like the filler episodes in the first season even if they completely shifted gears from the original premise of the show.

Also, I'm worried about Ichigo Mashimaro/Strawberry Marshmallow mangaka Barasui, who seems to have had put the series on hiatus since last autumn.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
publicenemy333

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:52 pm Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
Quote:
Looked up With the Light cause of the comments. Dammit, now theres another manga I wanna own, but of course its outta print T-T

Looks like Im gonna do some hardcore ebay hunting for a while. Maybe I'll get lucky like I did with Twin spica

Actually, WTL isn't out of print. There's still some copies being made, and if you're lucky, you can find them in libraries. They're still on Amazon and other online retailers.

Volume 5 is like $500 on Amazon, and volume 6 is $100. Vol 5 and 6 arent even listed on Rightstuf. Thats what I was referring to
Lolita princess

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Strawberry panic is another one where the manga got discontinued because of the author's health .
faintsmile1992

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:25 am Reply with quote
I actually enjoy Kaze no Stigma. Smile
Kokoroanime

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:45 am Reply with quote
They even forgot about Crayons Shin-Chan and Doraemon . but continued after they're death. But shin Chan manga continued, just like they did for Archie series .
TonyTonyChopper

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:37 am Reply with quote
Some great series that never got finished... with Phoenix maybe being the holy grale of manga but Tezuka worked still on many things at the time that there where some other gems he never got to finish not mentioned also cyborg 009 and Barefoot gen are great.

About the poll from last time really ? Luffy not even 1st also Chopper is much to low in Japan they make out the deal, and then there be Zoro and sanji this list is so western (American) with Zoro in the lead and all just saying not to be negative about but can't say i din't saw it coming.
Twage

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:09 am Reply with quote
Most of this list could've been Tezuka: Phoenix, Gringo, Ludwig B, Unico, and many others. "Please, let me work!"
se37

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:12 am Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
I'm surprised that there was no mention of Kannagi: Crazy Shrine Maidens, which got cut short soon after the anime adaptation aired due to an, as far as I know, unspecified illness afflicting mangaka Eri Takenashi (though many otaku suspect it was because of the controversy surrounding Nagi's previous boyfriend), which left not enough source material to produce a second season of the anime without resorting to some serious filler, although I did grow to like the filler episodes in the first season even if they completely shifted gears from the original premise of the show.

Also, I'm worried about Ichigo Mashimaro/Strawberry Marshmallow mangaka Barasui, who seems to have had put the series on hiatus since last autumn.

Kannagi has recently restarted a few years ago and still release a chapter every once in a while in an irregular schedule but you can't really count it yet. Plus the spin-off Manga is ongoing with her brother doing it so even if something happens I feel the manga will still be ongoing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
IceBreaker

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:23 am Reply with quote
Soon Berserk will be in the list, if Miura don't start the manga again.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Kokoroanime wrote:
They even forgot about Crayons Shin-Chan and Doraemon . but continued after they're death. But shin Chan manga continued, just like they did for Archie series .

Those series weren't cut short then, the author just passed away.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RichardFromMarple

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:32 pm Reply with quote
publicenemy333 wrote:
FireChick wrote:
Quote:

Volume 5 is like $500 on Amazon, and volume 6 is $100. Vol 5 and 6 arent even listed on Rightstuf. Thats what I was referring to

I've noticed that sort of pricing with some Manga volumes, the earlier & later ones are reasonable, but the ones in the middle are fetching high prices.
Suena

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:33 am Reply with quote
When it said "cut short due to author's health" I thought it would be about those who just got sick but are still kicking. "cut short due to death/passing" seems more appropriate. Confused
bin1127

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:03 am Reply with quote
Damn it. We could've had more Zero no Tsukaima!

The title really understated what it meant by "author's health." I bumped my toe probably means leg amputation for the author.
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:34 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
I'm surprised NANA didn't make the list. Yazawa is not death, but the chances of her resuming that series are very slim given how it's been years since it was last published because the mangaka hasn't had enough strength to do it.

no kidding. i was also surprised that it didn't maked the list but phoenix did. Also if i recall the author for deadman wonderland also cut her series short and have no sign at all of returning , so that is probably another manga that could have also been on this list too.

However there are also a boatload of mangas that had a lot of potential but was seriously cut short for a lot of reasons including financial or lawsuits ( i'm talking to you gash bell ).

Lolita princess wrote:
Strawberry panic is another one where the manga got discontinued because of the author's health .

That i didn't know i read the manga and it didn't felt like it got completed. if it did , its a real shame cause that series along with Kannazuki no Miko were great Yuri series. Though if Shoujo Sect wasnt a h-series, it might have been on this list too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5