• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kadokawa Recalls Manga That Tokyo Designated as 'Unhealthy'

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mister Ryan Andrews

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
I do not understand why you ask that.
Zac said that hate speech and bigotry will not be tolerated.
What are these "other things" that you ask about?

People who've practiced incest is the most obvious one. The amount of hatred and bile being spouted over it by not only him but other people is astounding. People who do willingly choose to participate in that practice are being made to feel very unwelcome and uninviting in that discussion when that kind of bigotry is no only allowed, but encouraged by staff members. How can people claim to be against bigotry if they partake in it themselves?
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Mister Ryan Andrews wrote:
Touma wrote:

People who've practiced incest is the most obvious one. The amount of hatred and bile being spouted over it by not only him but other people is astounding. People who do willingly choose to participate in that practice are being made to feel very unwelcome and uninviting in that discussion when that kind of bigotry is no only allowed, but encouraged by staff members. How can people claim to be against bigotry if they partake in it themselves?

I don't think you read it clearly, your post clearly indicate that you defend Jave's hate speech against homosexuality. As a matter fact, some of your comments don't seem to based in reality from what I observe in some of your post.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lightspeed Dash

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Um, hello there *waves* I just wanted to chime in that for the longest time I've felt very intimidated in joining in discussions on this forum because some of the editors here seem to be very vocal about their hatred of people who identify as Bronies. A lot of swearing and derogatory remarks and hurtful stereotypes from the community and staff made it hard to assess how I could approach a discussion with them on it because I was afraid of what they might do. I was reading this thread and decided to take the plunge on the subject because it seemed appropriate to the issue. I read that people here want to be warm and inviting for different communities but myself and other self identified bronies have always felt unwelcome due to the hateful comments on ANNcast and around the forums. I would just like to say that I hope the intent for a welcoming environment is genuine and people can respect more and more ostracized groups. Some of the comments I've seen seem to have a double standard in play, though.
agila61

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Does this mean people who identify as other things are not welcome?

Just at the outset, "identify as" is a fairly odd way to choose to talk about gays in the context where its been request that both offensive and empirically dubious analogies to being gay be avoided.

It seems kind of like asking me if I "identify as" 6ft tall, or if I "identify as" left handed or "identify as" at risk of developing dodgy joints as I grow older. And I reckon I could well take offense at an analogy being drawn between being left handed and engaging in incest.

Add in the over the top ignorance and egregious bigotry that gays are forced to deal with, it seems like they would have the right to take exception to a wide range of analogies that you might be trying to lay the groundwork for here.

"Born as" would be language less likely to lead in the direction of offensive and empirically fallacious or dubious analogies.

Now for being a Brony, "identify with" would work a lot better. I'd be quite skeptical of claims that people are born as Bronies (or not).
Lavnovice9

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Otherkin, and subsequently, bronykin do not choose their lifestyle, we are born this way and sometimes it doesn't become apparent until later in life. We do not have the same human privilege you do, so do not assuming you can tell other groups which binary words they can use to refer to themselves as, agila.
Touma

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Lightspeed Dash wrote:
for the longest time I've felt very intimidated in joining in discussions on this forum because some of the editors here seem to be very vocal about their hatred of people who identify as Bronies.

I really, seriously, do not understand why somebody would express hatred toward a fan of My Little Pony.
The show would probably be off topic for any discussion here because it not anime, but unless you insist on talking about when that would not be appropriate I do not know how anybody would even know that you are a Bronie.

Or is there some other meaning to "Bronie" that I am not aware of?

EDIT: Or is it possible that the post that I replied to was intended to be a joke? And I did not get it.

Last edited by Touma on Sat May 17, 2014 6:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Lightspeed Dash wrote:
Um, hello there *waves* I just wanted to chime in that for the longest time I've felt very intimidated in joining in discussions on this forum because some of the editors here seem to be very vocal about their hatred of people who identify as Bronies. A lot of swearing and derogatory remarks and hurtful stereotypes from the community and staff made it hard to assess how I could approach a discussion with them on it because I was afraid of what they might do. I was reading this thread and decided to take the plunge on the subject because it seemed appropriate to the issue. I read that people here want to be warm and inviting for different communities but myself and other self identified bronies have always felt unwelcome due to the hateful comments on ANNcast and around the forums. I would just like to say that I hope the intent for a welcoming environment is genuine and people can respect more and more ostracized groups. Some of the comments I've seen seem to have a double standard in play, though.

This is not a forum for the TV show 'My Little Pony'. Bronies are not an oppressed minority.

If your intent is to try make it so I personally never make fun of bronies ever again on Twitter (which I'm sure this is what your post is largely about) after telling people who are using completely debunked, ancient and bigoted ideas to claim that homosexuality is "deviant" and just the same as incest that their hateful rhetoric is not welcome here, I would tell you that your priorities are skewed.

I'm not interested in making this an unwelcome space for Bronies, but your interest in that show is largely irrelevant to 99% of the topics on this forum.

This stuff is all very transparent, guys. Knock it off.
TrailOfDead

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Lavnovice9 wrote:
Otherkin, and subsequently, bronykin do not choose their lifestyle, we are born this way and sometimes it doesn't become apparent until later in life. We do not have the same human privilege you do, so do not assuming you can tell other groups which binary words they can use to refer to themselves as, agila.

the quality of this discussion just took a tumbl

wubbalubbadubdub!
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 6:54 pm Reply with quote
TrailOfDead wrote:
Lavnovice9 wrote:

the quality of this discussion just took a tumbl

wubbalubbadubdub!

My feelings now
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BonusStage

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Levitz9 wrote:
I just had a thought: comparing homosexuality with incest means implying that there's something inherently wrong with homosexuality. Stay classy, buddy.

Um, I'd like to say I please do not speak for other groups. Don't preach about equality in the same post you denounce someone else's lifestyle as a mere "creepy, creepy fetish". I have heard that rhetoric numerous times growing up. That I will outgrow it, that it's just a phase, that it's just a fetish. I've heard that garbage all my life because of my orientation from idiots. Seeing someone else use it in the same post as them pretending they're all for homosexuality. Good gosh. Get some perspective, please. What people do is their own business and you are in no position to tell them otherwise. If you do, have the decency not to involve other groups who HAVE gone through those kinds of ridicule and maybe don't want to be seen as condemning another lifestyle Confused It's not welcome at all.
Stepppingoui

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 8:55 pm Reply with quote
BonusStage wrote:
Levitz9 wrote:
I just had a thought: comparing homosexuality with incest means implying that there's something inherently wrong with homosexuality. Stay classy, buddy.

Um, I'd like to say I please do not speak for other groups. Don't preach about equality in the same post you denounce someone else's lifestyle as a mere "creepy, creepy fetish". I have heard that rhetoric numerous times growing up. That I will outgrow it, that it's just a phase, that it's just a fetish. I've heard that garbage all my life because of my orientation from idiots. Seeing someone else use it in the same post as them pretending they're all for homosexuality. Good gosh. Get some perspective, please. What people do is their own business and you are in no position to tell them otherwise. If you do, have the decency not to involve other groups who HAVE gone through those kinds of ridicule and maybe don't want to be seen as condemning another lifestyle Confused It's not welcome at all.

If I could "like" your post a thousand times I would you hit the tolerance hypocrisy some people exercise nail right on the head.
Shippoyasha

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 9:07 pm Reply with quote
The reason why stuff like incest themes can work in a manga is that it is a purely fictional medium. It just seems insane to me that people attach real world dynamism to fiction. Stuff like manga is an easy target considering risqué material in novel form gets ignored.

As usual, censorship is just an overreaction and a way for people to impose control on the creatives.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 9:30 pm Reply with quote
That's how I feel on it. So someone finds it creepy, weird, and wishes it'd disappear, but is the manga really anything more than innocuous wank material? It is corrupting or compelling readers by brainwashing them into doing something more? So people harbor sick fetishes, they're also very easy to ignore since they have zero impact on your life.

But this isn't about incest manga specifically being inherently bad, it's about Tokyo furthering its plans to sanitize its media before the Olympics. They're targeting everything and anyone. Physical censorship has gotten worse in paper hentai because artists are afraid of being arrested for not covering up a dick or a pussy with enough black bars.
TrailOfDead

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 9:39 pm Reply with quote

indeed. first they came for the sisterf**kers, and i did not speak out, becauseaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:

Thanks for making it clear you're a troll. Out you go.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5