• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Licenses Chaika The Coffin Princess, 7 Summer Anime Titles

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wrathful

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Personally I like Sentai filmworks dubbing. They have been a bit spotty in terms of consistency recently but looking at their achievements, I find the casts of Sentai Filmworks/ADV better at least 10 years ago. Now it'd be great if they use more casts than the same people every time. They still do offer better special features than Funimation. If they license the anime I want to watch and dub it competently, I'm satisfied.

If they are going to dub Chaika, I hope they keep her fragmented speech. I know it will be hard but really don't want to see another missed opportunity like Mawaru Penguindrum happening.
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:02 am Reply with quote
Chaika The Coffin Princess, 7 Summer Anime Titles confirmed to never get anything in the way of a competently made English Dub or high quality release
Ali07

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:49 am Reply with quote
Cool, happy with some of these pick ups. Ao Haru Ride, Akame ga KILL, Glasslip and Chaika are all series I'm interested in.

Will have to wait and see what gets licensed here in Australia now, before deciding to get a Sentai release. No guarantee that everything that reaches America's shores reach ours'.

The final thing it now comes down to is whether or not any of those turn out to be series that I'd actually re-watch. Laughing
Dessa

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:41 am Reply with quote
I won't be watching anything dubbed anyway, and I usually stay out of the "company A vs company B" fights, but this is what I have to say in Sentai's defense:

1) FUNimation's streaming site has never worked properly for me. Sentai generally puts all their simulcasts on CR, so that means I can actually watch these shows (FUNi license basically means I have little chance of watching them. I have to hope that the library or Netflix gets them after release.)

2) At least Vic Mignogna will be nowhere near these shows. He makes me gag every time he's in something, I can't stand the jackass.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:

2) At least Vic Mignogna will be nowhere near these shows. He makes me gag every time he's in something, I can't stand the jackass.

AFAIK he moved to California and hasn't done Texas dubs awhile ago.
Osaka2002

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:31 pm Reply with quote
SynergyMan wrote:
Who cares exactly? I'm Italian-American and I could list examples of words non-Italians get wrong, though it doesn't bother me, because I am aware that forcing one to pronounce Italian 100% like the Italians do as a non-Italian is unnatural.

Crusher X303 wrote:
For me a dub just has to have a good script, and good voice quality.

As long as the script if funny, emotional, dramatic (or whatever tone they are going for) and the voice actors can portray the range of emotion needed, it is all good. I really appreciate these companies bringing these works to North America.

People who want a quality release care. There is nothing wrong with asking that the people working on these localizations actually care about what there doing when it comes to accuracy, instead of doing the bare minimum and butchering names left and right.

To be frank, I am getting really tired of the "Well, as long as it's here, the localization can be infinitely craptastic and the team can put in as little effort as possible." apologetic attitude from certain fans.
S127

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Was hoping NIS would be getting Glasslip... very disappointing. Crying or Very sad
Crusher X303

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Osaka2002 wrote:

Crusher X303 wrote:

As long as the script if funny, emotional, dramatic (or whatever tone they are going for) and the voice actors can portray the range of emotion needed, it is all good. I really appreciate these companies bringing these works to North America.

People who want a quality release care. There is nothing wrong with asking that the people working on these localizations actually care about what there doing when it comes to accuracy, instead of doing the bare minimum and butchering names left and right.

To be frank, I am getting really tired of the "Well, as long as it's here, the localization can be infinitely craptastic and the team can put in as little effort as possible." apologetic attitude from certain fans.

Yep... hence why I said a good script and voice quality. Fudging a name doesn't destroy or ruin anything, only the nitpickers feels hurt.

Like what was said in a previous post, There are countless names that are said that are not pronounce correctly... it doesn't affect to overall quality and enjoyment of said item... unless you want to nitpick and let it bother you.

Being American-Italian I already know many common products and famous actor names that people don't pronounce correctly... A name doesn't destroy the quality and enjoyment of a product. Heck even my last name (which isn't even difficult) is messed up more often than not... I am actually surprised when someone says it correctly.

If the script gets the jokes, drama, and other emotions portrayed right... and they can get VA that can accurately get those emotions across, putting the wrong emPHAsis on the wrong sylLABle doesn't completely destroy the work.

Last edited by Crusher X303 on Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:02 am Reply with quote
In regards to licensing companies, Sentai is usually at the bottom of the pool for me. It's not that they're necessarily BAD or anything, they're just so barebones. I generally tend to enjoy a majority of FUNimation's dubs, and their physical releases are usually of good quality without also breaking your bank. And Aniplex has very nice releases, especially for collectors, but also prices them quite high as most would agree to. I can't say that they aren't always worth it, but sometimes you just want a cheap barebones option, and thats usually out of the question with them. Even their "cheap" releases tend to be on the pricy side. Just look at their Kill LA Kill release. Even for the regular Blu-ray it still costs 40 dollars for just 4 measly episodes. I seem to be getting sidetracked. What I'm trying to say is that when a show I like gets licensed by Sentai, I think a little bit of me dies inside. But that's okay because they rarely ever actually get a show I'm actually interested in. They mostly deal with the generic moe shows I tend to stay away from.
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:36 am Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
At least Vic Mignogna will be nowhere near these shows. He makes me gag every time he's in something, I can't stand the jackass.
Vic Mignogna hasn't gotten a decent role in an English Dub for ages. He had a supporting role in Lagrange but I can't even remember the last time I've heard him in a lead role.

Besides, he's actually not that bad a voice actor. I can also say having met him myself that he's a really good guy.

I can't speak for Greg Ayres as a person, but I don't think Sentai have ever cast him right.
SynergyMan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:20 am Reply with quote
Osaka2002 wrote:
SynergyMan wrote:
Who cares exactly? I'm Italian-American and I could list examples of words non-Italians get wrong, though it doesn't bother me, because I am aware that forcing one to pronounce Italian 100% like the Italians do as a non-Italian is unnatural.

Crusher X303 wrote:

Italian is spoken more widely and by more people than Japanese. Granted, not as a native language, but as a cultural language, it has about 20 more million speakers and as me and the other guy said, how many Americans mispronounce bologna? Or pasta? Or any basic Italian word? Italian's also more widely spoken in this country. You may not know this, but pronouncing a word exactly how it is in its native language is forced, unless you happen to speak that language natively. Oh and by your logic, the Japanese version of Hetalia has no effort, even though IMO, the VAs in that are good. Nobody outside Japan speaks Japanese. Who actually cares? Likewise, Italian is spoken in Italy, Switzerland, San Marino, Vatican City, so that implies that people need to try more in Italian, since it reaches more people, including me and Crusher. We also have to abide by your logic, so any show with names not of Japanese are not trying. That's your logic, isn't it? If something such as pronunciation bothers you, you shouldn't be watching anime at all. A good dub=accurate script/solid voice acting. That's it. Without both of those 2, a dub cannot be good. Likewise, both Rurouni Kenshin English dubs have 1 of those two and has great pronunciation, but the voice acting is really bad in both of those dubs. Japanese Bebop has bad pronunciation, yet it's better than(IMO) the English dub, with the correct pronunciations. Also, most dubs pronounce names right anyway, so why the hell are you complaining?
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:23 am Reply with quote
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
Dessa wrote:
At least Vic Mignogna will be nowhere near these shows. He makes me gag every time he's in something, I can't stand the jackass.
Vic Mignogna hasn't gotten a decent role in an English Dub for ages. He had a supporting role in Lagrange but I can't even remember the last time I've heard him in a lead role.

Besides, he's actually not that bad a voice actor. I can also say having met him myself that he's a really good guy.

I've met him in person. Multiple times. I still say he's a jackass.
mrkb001

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:19 am Reply with quote
Oneeyadjacks wrote:
1.But even the B-team dubs sound better than the 2.fan-dub quality that Sentai puts out with their dubs.

3.it at least comes off as feeling like some effort was put into the overall execution of it. You don't get that with Sentai.

1. In what way do they sound better? In there script liberalization in titles such as Jourmagund all for the case of making a plastic copy of Black Lagoon's english dub? Without even severe/MA cursing? Its not looking good to even Steven Fosters dub of Btoom! Giving small script changes but also bringing in Jovan Jakson. A black VA for the role a dark skinned character. Even Funimation could not have pulled that off for Panty and Stocking, and I loved that dub. But criticism is due.

2. Point out examples to how a slight few of Sentai Filmworks dubs sound like a fandub? Like Guin Saga's 7 min gag dub pieces or Medaka Box at the swimming episode in lip flap hell.

3. And what effort? In that Trina is following here voice more than her characters movements and facial expressions? That is mostly what a fandub is. Which the english dub of Attack on Titan SHOULD NOT HAVE, if Funi fans were anticipating this dub to be the next FMA.[/quote]

What are you thinking????
YOU CAN NOT bring a rational, logical, challenging argument that demands a person provide intelligent supporting information to their mud slinging bad mouthing comments. You have got to control yourself and understand that most people must be a follower and not a leader. They can only survive by trash talking and making pointless comments that only complain about something yet are unable to provide any supporting evidence to their complaints nor solutions to problems. They only bitch and moan about the worlds problems and "ohhhh how things are so bad for me please listen to my whining". If you make people think about things too much they may......... die. Do you want to be the responsible for the death of thoughtless comments. I mean blogs around the world wide web and possible the world itself would cease to exist. So for the safety of the www and the world I must ask you to think less and put on blinder while reading blogs, please don't use your brain this much you will truly hurt millions. lol. (actual keep going, your comments make me feel my time reading blogs is not wasted, so thank you)
bs3311

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:27 am Reply with quote
mrkb001 wrote:
EPIC SNIP

Something tells me were gonna be good friends Wink

I'll keep doing what I'm doing, wherever I am needed when it comes to opression from Funimation dub bias by users who can't bring any rational reasoning for said bias. Only to fuel the flames at another company because,

"DERP! FUNI IS DE BAST! I LOVED DER DBZEEEY, FMA 03 UNE AOTEY DUB CEREAL!!! THOUGH I CAN'T FORMY ME OWNY OPINION WITHOUT HEARIN OR BLINDLEY FOLLOWY ODERS. ARKADIA AND JESSIO SAY SENTAI IS BAAAAADDDDDDD! SO THEY AREEEEE!"

Beleive me, I like some of Funimations dubs. FMAB, YuYu, Baka, etc.
So I have experience.

This topic is a bit old. But I hope you can stick around and we meet again for future posts Cool
AbZeroNow

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:19 am Reply with quote
S127 wrote:
Was hoping NIS would be getting Glasslip... very disappointing. Crying or Very sad

I know this comment is six months old(don't know why someone felt like replying to this thread), but given how bad Glasslip turned out...NISA not getting it likely turned out for the best.

Would love to see Chaika dubbed as Sentai does a decent job with their dubs, and Funi probably wouldn't have captured her unique but endearing speech pattern.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5