• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kuroko's Basketball Manga to End

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Splitter

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Яeverse wrote:
And how did ANN confirm this?

Well, to anyone reading the manga, it was pretty obvious Rolling Eyes

KuroBas has been a wonderful ride. I will miss it, but remember it fondly.
Jajanken

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Kuroko is too popular to just disappear. I personally hope original OVAS or something come out every now and then. It was a great run....or dribble
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Wow, that was very... sudden. I mean, considering what just happened in the latest chapter, I suppose you could see the ending was near (especially since spoiler[Kiyoshi wouldn't be able to play another year]), but I didn't think it would end in the very next issue. ^^;;

Well I hope this means they can animate the entire series!
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:23 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
I find it hard to believe that WSJ would let its 2nd best selling series to end, and with such short notice too. Especially with Bleach and Naruto approaching their finales too, who's gonna bring the money in? The previous chapter didn't hint any such thing either, are you sure you're not mistranslating something?

But this is not the 2nd best selling series currently running in WSJ. not even close, not matter how you look at it. average copies sell per vol or total lifetime sell.

Even Assassination Classroom does better on all the new vols.
Bernkastel

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:04 pm Reply with quote
LaughingElbow wrote:
Bye, Felicia.

Felicia Bye
_Darkblondie_

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Somewhere wrote:

Gintama and Toriko are trending downward; I remember their numbers usually being in the high 200k/lower 300k by the 2nd week. Naruto's also slipping downward from its usual 800k+ after week 2.

a new Naruto volume usually sells around 700k+ in 2 weeks then it hits 1 million in a few months...
Ali07

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:42 pm Reply with quote
perroloco wrote:
Bakuman, Buso renki, Death Note, etc.. a lot of animes are made after the mangas end, is it weird and not very common? Yes, but it has happened.

You can throw Working in there too, for a more recent example of it happening.

While I don't read this series, I am surprised to hear it may be ending. Wouldn't be surprised if it turns out that a sequel series were to be announced off the back of this original run ending.

perroloco wrote:
I can totally see a "New Kuroko no basket" or something like that in SQ.

Taken right out of the "Marvel marketing handbook". "All New Kuroko no Basket". Laughing
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:33 am Reply with quote
This isn't like the first time this has happened Reborn!, Medaka Box, and Beelzebub come to mind off the top of my head.
Araki

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:03 am Reply with quote
The Mad Manga Massacre wrote:
This isn't like the first time this has happened Reborn!, Medaka Box, and Beelzebub come to mind off the top of my head.

Even freaking Dragonball ended suddenly like that. The short notice may seem weird for people unfamiliar with the manga world, but that's how Jump finishes its series, there's no announcement in advance.
The_way67

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:07 am Reply with quote
WOW! WHAT? WHY?!
macloud

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:04 am Reply with quote
With all this talk about prescedent and sales, it seems that noone has considered
another angle - namely that its only been a few months that someone was convicted for maill attacks and senting threats to KnB events.
TL;DR could this be an attempt to cut their loses, and to curtail any copycat attempts?
Somewhere

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:12 am Reply with quote
If the terrorist thing scared Shueisha, they would've canned the series in 2012.

_Darkblondie_: Naruto volumes usually hit 1 million or close to it by the 5th week, 800k+ by the 2nd week. Go look up the charts. You'll see that from vol 42* to vol 68, by the 5th week sales have ranged from 902k to 1187k. Of those 27 volumes, 3** reached the 900-910k range, 1 was 929k, 1 was 956k, 2 in the 976k-981k range, 3 in the 990k-997k range, 2 in the mid-upper 900k-but-can't-tell-exactly-because-of-not-charting-in-5th week, and the remaining 15 hit 1 million. To say that 'a new Naruto vol usually hits 1 million in a few months' is to pull things out of your ass. Bah, too easy to casually spread misinformation on the internet.

*why start at vol 42? The WSJ-Oricon chart tracking site I use*** only goes back to 2008, so 42 is the first vol there.
From initial print information, I can infer that there's a high probability of Naruto reaching similar numbers with older volumes. That is, initial print numbers were similar or higher since the mid 20's

**1 of them was actually after 28 days of sale; listed as 5 weeks because its 0-day sales made the charts

*** This site. Yea yea, you're probably gonna wonder how legit those numbers are. If you don't trust the numbers, do the legwork. Oricon charts are out there (posted regularly on ANN, even). You can do the comparisons.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:43 pm Reply with quote
macloud wrote:
With all this talk about prescedent and sales, it seems that noone has considered
another angle - namely that its only been a few months that someone was convicted for maill attacks and senting threats to KnB events.
TL;DR could this be an attempt to cut their loses, and to curtail any copycat attempts?

I wouldn't even consider that as an option, the terrorist case only helped increase the series' popularity (heck, I only started reading/watching it because of that). Rather than losses, it worked as great publicity, I would even consider it one of the causes for how its popularity skyrocketed since the second season of the anime aired
_Darkblondie_

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Somewhere wrote:
If the terrorist thing scared Shueisha, they would've canned the series in 2012.

_Darkblondie_: Naruto volumes usually hit 1 million or close to it by the 5th week, 800k+ by the 2nd week. Go look up the charts. You'll see that from vol 42* to vol 68

*why start at vol 42? The WSJ-Oricon chart tracking site I use*** only goes back to 2008, so 42 is the first vol there.
From initial print information, I can infer that there's a high probability of Naruto reaching similar numbers with older volumes. That is, initial print numbers were similar or higher since the mid 20's

dude, it doesn't matter.. at the end of this year we will see Naruto vol 68, 69, 70 have sold 1 million each on Oricon yearly charts...
seiriyu

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:24 pm Reply with quote
I really don't buy this. First, the first place I saw this being "reported" was by a tumblr user who is pretty well-known around the Kuroko no Basuke community on tumblr. She made a post showing a picture of the results of the Winter cup and basically said that the manga was coming to an end. She however redacted the post because people were getting mad at her because she never posted an official source or anything saying that it was actually the end of the whole series. But I think it reached a lot of people because she had so many followers and so many reblogs on the post that it became the "truth" around tumblr. And then Weibo started circulating this rumor. Until I see an actual official statement or news report from a JAPANESE source that's not a blogging site, I just can't believe this.

Also, for those who argue that it's for economic reasons, I really don't think people understand how popular this is right now. Even though people are saying it may not be the top seller in Jump or "Haikyuu is taking over its spot" or other things like that, it is still HUGE in Japan. New official merchandise and preorders are being released almost every other day. There is currently a section in the WSJ theme park (J World) that is dedicated to KuroBasu (the other ones that made the cut are all cash cows: One Piece, Dragonball, Naruto, Haikyuu, and Prince of Tennis -- yes, prince of tennis is STILL going VERY strong. I get trampled almost every time I go to anime shops in Japan because of the girls rushing to the new prince of tennis merchandise). All of the anime chain stores still feature huge sections of KuroBasu merchandise (Unlike American or other foreign anime shops, Japanese anime chain stores regularly change out the merchandise they carry based on what's popular at the time. So for example, Death Note or Code Geass merchandise might have filled up a whole aisle in a shop a few years ago, but you'd be really lucky to find even a single item related to the series in the main stream stores now.) The books, manga, and Jump issues that feature KuroBasu also are prominently displayed in the front of many of the shops. And then lastly, though this doesn't necessarily help WSJ or Fujimaki DIRECTLY, for the most recent Comiket (the largest doujinshi/fanmade comics convention in Japan), Kuroko no Basuke had the second largest number of artists there. There is also going to be a Kuroko-specific fan convention in March of next year. So I really don't think Haikyuu coming it or other series coming in would be the reason for it to end.

Anyways, that's my perspective on things... not that it will change anything. But I personally won't make a decision on this until I hear something official.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5