• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 6 Inseparable Sisters

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Touma

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:43 am Reply with quote
Etrien wrote:
When I was much younger, I used to cry much easier at fiction, and there's one story on the list I definitely remember did make me cry: ..........Sailor Moon. Anime hyper Ah, to be young and more emotionally engaged again...

I don't remember ever crying when I was young. I have consistently been crying more often as I get older.***
Maybe it is a second childhood. Or it could be senility.

Sailor Moon was one of the first shows that I can remember that made me cry. I think that Cardcaptor Sakura, which I watched just before Sailor Moon, was probably the first.

***EDIT:
It occurred to me that there are many different transitions as we grow, and they have different effects.
When some people talk about getting older they might mean changing from a child to a teen. For others it might be going from teen to young adult, or young to older adult.
What I am referring to is going from an older adult to a much older adult.Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:42 am Reply with quote
Do tears of laughter count in the poll, because JoJo's would be my top choice!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
relyat08

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:44 am Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
Etrien wrote:
When I was much younger, I used to cry much easier at fiction, and there's one story on the list I definitely remember did make me cry: ..........Sailor Moon. Anime hyper Ah, to be young and more emotionally engaged again...

I don't remember ever crying when I was young. I have consistently been crying more often as I get older.***
Maybe it is a second childhood.

I was going to say pretty much the same thing. When I was in my teens I was pretty much emotionless. I can only point to a couple of times that I cried during that whole decade. These days I cry in almost every show I watch. I prefer crying over not by a long shot though. I like being able to get that wrapped up in a good story. Very Happy
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:21 am Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
Touma wrote:

Maybe it is a second childhood.

I was going to say pretty much the same thing. When I was in my teens I was pretty much emotionless. I can only point to a couple of times that I cried during that whole decade. These days I cry in almost every show I watch. I prefer crying over not by a long shot though. I like being able to get that wrapped up in a good story. Very Happy

When you're a teenager, like, emotion-stuff isn't cool.
It's later when you're a grownup, that sentimentality can be sipped recreationally like a fine wine. Very Happy
It's one of the ways you know.

(As for me, I'm still on the Sister list, and wondering why Engaged to the Unidentified didn't show up either.)
st_owly

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:57 am Reply with quote
I picked Fushigi Yugi because it was the first show which made me cry. Others have done since.
fireaxe

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Clannad After Story was the obvious pick from this week's poll, but instead I voted for the first anime series that really got me. Hard. Saikano. Boy did that one kill my mood for a couple of days...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Polycell

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:40 pm Reply with quote
The last time I actually cried was better part of a decade ago. There have been numerous times I've come close since then, but can't quite get there and just stand on the painful cusp of crying. That's good enough for me to vote Anohana.
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:36 pm Reply with quote
People are going to hate me for this...no Attack on Titan on this week's poll? I'm sorry...
MajinAkuma

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:13 pm Reply with quote
The Minami sisters from Minami-ke would fit here. The eldest sister Haruka only lives so she can be around her younger sisters. Middle sister Kana and youngest sister Chiaki always argue with each other, but they also care for the other, e.g. when one of them is ill. Chiaki worships Haruka, but there was a time when she worshipped Kana, who worshipped Haruka at that time. In the final episode of the second season, they Kana and Chiaki mistake that Haruka might go to study abroad and try to convince her to go, but in the end they beg her to stay. There is an episode in season 3, where Chiaki had a dream where Kana disappeared, and she follows her hugging around as a result; then Kana has the same dream, but with Haruka instead, and the result is the same. And in the last episode of season 3, Haruka and Chiaki misinterpret a letter that Kana is leaving them because of mistreatment and are about to look for her and then she comes back.
scarletrhodelia

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:09 pm Reply with quote
The timing of this poll was serendipitous. I just finished watching the Chimera Ant Arc of Hunter x Hunter yesterday. I've cried for a lot of the other shows on this list - Fruits Basket, in at least three places every time I watch or read; Fullmetal Alchemist; Gundam 00; Gurren Lagann; Gintama; Code Geass; and a few other shows I won't mention because I consider them shameless tearjearkers. (Haven't seen and won't watch Grave of the Fireflies and Clannad, Kanon, etc., for different reasons.) But Hunter x Hunter was something else. This show just rips me up anyway, though doesn't usually make me cry. The episode that affected me most starts out without the usual cheery intro, so you know you're in for something different. It also eschews the usual closing. The writing and music work together to create a mood, which is maintained throughout. Whenever I thought it couldn't get more moving, whenever I thought, "I'm done crying now," it topped itself. The thing about this show, that sets it apart, is that spoiler[the tears were for the 'villain'.]

Touma wrote:
It occurred to me that there are many different transitions as we grow, and they have different effects.
When some people talk about getting older they might mean changing from a child to a teen. For others it might be going from teen to young adult, or young to older adult.
What I am referring to is going from an older adult to a much older adult.Wink

This is where I am. Smile
shiranehito

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:36 am Reply with quote
Anime that made you cry... Tough choices. I'm a total crybaby, sohere are a lot of them in the list (and not in the list) which made me bawl like baby.

My choices:
- AIR (even though most of the time I was WTF around the series, but the scene when spoiler[Misuzu called Haruko "mommy" for the first time] really hit me hard.
- Angel Beats! (listening to Ichiban no Takaramono -spoiler[ Yui ver.] each time makes me want to cry.)
- AnoHana (still crying whenever listening to Secret Base and reminded of spoiler["Found you, Menma"])
- Chrno Crusade (actually this is the first anime which made me cry so hard)
- Dog of Flanders (no explanation needed)
- Gurren Lagann (cried several times in certain episodes. People say it's manly tears)
- La Maison en Petit Cubes (this short story without any dialogue is full of feels)
- Natsume Yuujinchou (only one episode and I'm already in tears)
- Little Busters! (Refrain, to be exact.)

Other than those in the list up there, actually there are a lot of series which made me really emotional - although not necessarily made me cry (like Grave of Fireflies. It didn't make me cry, but it made me feel really really depressed.)

But my choice will be CLANNAD (and/or After Story. I don't think these two need to be separated as individual series, honestly)
Listening to the BGMs, just by listening to the BGMs can make me teared up again.
zensunni

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:29 am Reply with quote
Many of the anime on that list made me cry, but I decided that I had to add one to the list. The problem was which one?

The ones I considered:
- Hanayamata - Because I didn't expect to cry while watching it. Granted, part of the tears was rage at the manipulative story line in the second to last episode. spoiler[I was crying and saying "Bad writers! Bad! Bad! Since the obvious resolution to the problem at hand was never even considered. Strangely enough it was pretty much what happened in the final episode... But the entire crisis could have been avoided with a little bit of communication. Of course, that is a common issue in life as well as art, so I guess it isn't that bad...] I decided not to add this one...

- RDG: Red Data Girl - This was tears of rage. I loved the series and, upon finishing it the third time, this time in the dubbed form, I was just so angry at the creators for shorting the story and not giving us an anime that took us all the way through the six novels. I decided that wasn't the right reason to be crying, though there were a couple of tear jerker moments earlier in the series.

- Waiting in the Summer - This was my winner. The scene that leads up to the confession scene is what made this my choice. spoiler[In that scene Tetsurou is comforting Kanna on the side of the road after she yelled at Ichika and sent her off looking for Kaito, essentially throwing her rival into the arms of the man they both love. Meanwhile, behind a shed, Mio sits hugging her knees to her chest and weeping while she listens to the man she loves (Tatsurou) comfort the girl he loves (Kanna).] That is a masterpiece of emotional conflict. The fact that it is followed by spoiler[one of the absolute best confession and kiss scenes ever drawn, with the fantastic "Fourth" and "Fifth" kiss comments. It rivals Toradora's "Again!" / "One more" (depending on the translation).]
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:47 am Reply with quote
potatopurplexs3 wrote:
The only anime that ever made me cry were Clannad and Angel Beats!, but I chose Clannad since I watched it first. Speaking of sad anime, I'm kinda disappointed there was never an adaptation of the visual novel Ever 17. The amount of depression that would come from that would be ridiculous.

that i know all too well. it would probably have eclipsed clannad in that category if it had gotten and anime series.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
relyat08

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:04 am Reply with quote
Waiting In The Summer is a good addition. I didn't think of it since I've seen so much since i finished that, but there were several intense emotional scenes. The first one you mentioned hit me quite hard.
Izu0

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Natsume's book of friend is the best
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5