• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Love and Other Thugs

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dessa

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:48 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
Also never heard of utada hikaru before. most japanneese singers i know of are from group bands like high & mighty color or asian king fu generation. i would have to guess he's a single artist like nana mizuki which is how i don't know who he is.

Utada Hikaru (female, btw) is the singer for Hikari/Simple and Clean and Passion/Sanctuary for the Kingdom Hearts series. Which is probably the only reason most Americans have ever heard any of her work.

Also, this person has gone on before complaining about the song. Apparently, since they don't like it, NO ONE is allowed to like it. I love ~DATABASE~ portions of the song, it's my favorite part. Heck, I have the song as my ringtone on my phone.
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
jr0904 wrote:
Also never heard of utada hikaru before. most japanneese singers i know of are from group bands like high & mighty color or asian king fu generation. i would have to guess he's a single artist like nana mizuki which is how i don't know who he is.

Utada Hikaru (female, btw) is the singer for Hikari/Simple and Clean and Passion/Sanctuary for the Kingdom Hearts series. Which is probably the only reason most Americans have ever heard any of her work.

Also, this person has gone on before complaining about the song. Apparently, since they don't like it, NO ONE is allowed to like it. I love ~DATABASE~ portions of the song, it's my favorite part. Heck, I have the song as my ringtone on my phone.

well that explains it. i never liked kingdom hearts or anything disney related. and unfortunately its one of the drawbacks for japaneese singers if their a solo art. the only exceptions are of course nana mizuki which every US otaku knows and Mell. you would have to be a hardcore otaku to know most of the solo artists that did most of the OPs for some series.

also dont be surprised that there are people that disliked database.

It was the same thing for Mell's Opening Red Faction when Black Lagoon was popular cause it was completely in english.

at least database isnt completely in english otherwise those gripers claiming "we're being americanized" would have been a lot louder and harsher. its why some mods on some forums was forced to closed some topics on the review of log horizon when the hating was getting out of hand.

of course i dont expect the same thing to happen here,but wanted to warn you in the event it does get reviewed.

at least there wasnt a review of the SM box sets.otherwise it would have been a nonstop bashfest on how bad the DIC versions are.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ingraman

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
jr0904 wrote:

I'm remembering that her work's been used in the end credits of the Eva Rebuild movies and the Freedom OVA series. Anything else? Hmm... ANN Encyclopedia seems to think that's it for anime. I latched on to her music relatively early, when 'Can You Keep a Secret' was being blasted out of nearly every store front when I was in Tokyo more than a decade ago. ^^ I think that that song ended up on her second album.

Hmm... I haven't heard any music from her lately, but Origa seemed to do well in Russian (her primary language), Japanese, and English.

Quote:

"[T]his person" = me? I have complained about it a few times since Log Horizon started, but I don't go on and on about it in the same threads. I also don't mind if everyone else likes the song, but sometimes someone's rave about the song might bring out a mini-rant from me just to balance things a smidgen. If someone else doesn't like it, I'm not aware of the fact, so I presume that everyone else likes it. ;p A few anime themes are ones that I like and buy the CDs for, most of them are ones that have generate no positive or negative feelings, and a very few are painful to my ears. 'Database' just happens to be one of the latter.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Ingraman wrote:
Dessa wrote:
jr0904 wrote:

I'm remembering that her work's been used in the end credits of the Eva Rebuild movies and the Freedom OVA series. Anything else? Hmm... ANN Encyclopedia seems to think that's it for anime.

A series of very shot animations was made based on her Aldum "Exodus" called "Fluximation".
Ingraman

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:10 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
well that explains it. i never liked kingdom hearts or anything disney related.

As I noted above, a few songs of hers have been used by other anime. They may still not be ones that you like, but it's not just Disney & Square stuff.

Quote:
and unfortunately its one of the drawbacks for japaneese singers if their a solo art.

Being solo is a drawback?

Quote:
you would have to be a hardcore otaku to know most of the solo artists that did most of the OPs for some series.

I'd think the same would apply to both solo singers and groups, but I suppose that some solo singers (or their music labels) might focus more on the anime side of the music market.

Quote:
also don't be surprised that there are people that disliked database.

It was the same thing for Mell's Opening Red Faction when Black Lagoon was popular cause it was completely in english.

But I like Mell's themes for Black Lagoon and Rideback! I bought both of those singles. ^^ They may be in English, but having printed lyrics makes it a lot easier to follow what she's singing (needed more for Red Faction than Rideback, IIRC).

Quote:
at least database isnt completely in english otherwise those gripers claiming "we're being americanized" would have been a lot louder and harsher.

I may not like the song, but I have no problem with the concept of an anime theme song partially or entirely in English. It's all dependent on the lyrics themselves and the singer. Heck, I've enjoyed some of the English themes that were created for anime dubs back in the '90s. I bought one of the CDs of the songs used with the Tenchi OVA dub. ^^

Quote:
its why some mods on some forums was forced to closed some topics on the review of log horizon when the hating was getting out of hand.

of course i don't expect the same thing to happen here,but wanted to warn you in the event it does get reviewed.

I guess that I don't visit enough forums. I don't recall ever coming across something like that with Log Horizon.

Fronzel wrote:
Ingraman wrote:
I'm remembering that her work's been used in the end credits of the Eva Rebuild movies and the Freedom OVA series. Anything else? Hmm... ANN Encyclopedia seems to think that's it for anime.

A series of very shot animations was made based on her Aldum "Exodus" called "Fluximation".

I'm not remembering if I was aware of those, or not. ^^;
omiya

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:17 am Reply with quote
Ingraman wrote:

Quote:
you would have to be a hardcore otaku to know most of the solo artists that did most of the OPs for some series.

I'd think the same would apply to both solo singers and groups, but I suppose that some solo singers (or their music labels) might focus more on the anime side of the music market.

The really long running series or franchises can have a huge amount of music (e.g. the Gundam franchise, see http://www.sybpress.com/Gundam/gundam_music_index.htm).

Anison (アニソン) is its own sub-genre although it has a large overlap with game music as often the same artists are involved in anime music and game music from the same franchises (and singers are often also voice actors/actresses aka seiyuu (声優)).

Labels include specifically for Anime/Game music include Lantis, Flying Dog, 5pb... Cross-label collaborations also occur at events like Animelo Summer Live and Animax Musix, and at smaller shows thanks to management and lablels not always being vertically integrated or artists being on multiple labels (or just friends doing a show together to attract a broader audience).

The singers of anime and game music and their backing musicians have have a friendly community nature - just notice who follows whom on twitter or the the collaborative live shows. Artists like Ichirou Mizuki, Hironobu Kageyama and Masami Okui specifically helped grow the genre and assist other artists.

If looking for live shows in Japan of that style of music, use http://animetas.jp and select categories of アニソン and ゲーソン
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Don't forget her English album, with the single-that-went-nowhere "Easy Breezy"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpqTJySA5Sc
Ingraman

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 2:27 am Reply with quote
ANN_Bamboo wrote:
Don't forget her English album, with the single-that-went-nowhere "Easy Breezy"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpqTJySA5Sc

I remember the existence of the song, but that's about it. I bought the album it was on (Exodus) long, long ago, soon after it came out. For my first time playing it, I had a friend in the car with me, and after listening to it, I gave the disc to him as a birthday present (IIRC). Maybe it clashed too much with what I was used to hearing from her (in style, rather than language).

I did buy (and keep) her second US album, 'This is the One'.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4