• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: The Last: Naruto The Movie

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pen Expers

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:47 am Reply with quote
Lycosyncer wrote:
As stupid and bland the villain was and how rather stupid it is with how our characters can somehow breathe on the moon, this is still a pretty good movie for the Naruto film canon.

Yeah the moon breathing was one of my biggest pet peeves, so dumb - But, apparently, the reason they can breath in the moon is explaiend on the book that the movie is adapting, so I guess it can be blamed on bad transitions. Still should've been in the movie though.
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:23 am Reply with quote
JaggedAuthor wrote:

Not my point at all. As long as a reviewer is able to cogently explain why he or she feels a certain way about a film, book, television series, etc., they've done their job. Amy explained why she held the film in high regard while still pointing out things she perceived as flaws and graded the movie accordingly. I don't necessarily agree with every review I read on ANN - or anywhere else on the web, for that matter - but as long as reviews meet the aforementioned criteria, I abstain from throwing around terms like "biased" and "unprofessional."

Not going to get into a fraggle over your opinion vs my opinion, but what you said is what I was pointing out.

A professional movie critic isn't going to point out so many flaws and criticisms of the story, and then give it a near perfect score. And that is why I questioned her journalistic integrity. It's really no different than if a critic wrote, "Catwoman is a horrible movie, but I'm giving it a thumbs up because Halle Barry is hawt!"

So I would say, either the score gets revised to reflect the article or the article redone to reflect the score.
Madoka...AYUKAWA!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:26 am Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
leatherhead333 wrote:

If Kishi was going to ship Hinata and Naruto he really should have done so after the Pain fight. Seriously that chapter/episode was a clear spark for their relationship to start since Hinata put her life on the line for him and even confessed to him. Why did nothing come of it? It really pisses me off to this day.

I have to agree with this specific point. IIRC, other than a comment from another character or two (if even that), this was never really addressed before the final arc started when it should have been. I don't even think Naruto mentioned the confession or what he thought of it.

For the xxxxxmillionth time!! WHY??? This is not a DAMN romance manga to see a love develop and take many chapter to satiate those thet believe were reading another genre entirely, you just jumped several years ahead and it happened, end of story. Kishimoto had no reason to satiate your romance development as naruto is not about romance, we did get to know the characters feelings here and there and it was more than enough for a shounen manga, he could have developed it more, he chose not to, its simple, as romance its not the drive of the story, never was, so you have no grounds to complain the lack of it, shounen has never been about romance, some authors chose to lightly show some romance, some love interest here and there, and for a shounen thats about it, eventually there a manga that likes to do what dragon ball did... and I have to to hear someone complaining that DB lacked romance development and why we never knew how exactly Krilin hooped uo with 18 or how Gohan and And videl relationship actually developed, we jumped years ahead and we saw them married and with kids and the like, there was no need to see the relationship development on screen, and the reaction should be oh, look who ended up with whom cool, strange, something like that.

I do not mean to say you have to accept and like Naruto ending with Hinata, which is what all the rage is about from butthurt Naruto x Sakura shippers, but complaining time and time again amnd you only argument to support and try to invalidate Hinata x naruto pair is that that kishimoto did not develop more the romance between them its stupid and its getting tiring as once more this is shounen manga, kishimoto had no obligation to develop the romance between them as you wished for, even if he did you would not accept it anyway, the key romance insights we saw between different characters, small or big if you wish were more than enough... the same scene people cite, about Hinata risking her life to help Naruto in the Naruto vs pain fight and once more in the final final fight, were very big romance key points between them, they were HUGE no Naruto x Sakura come close, in fact there was NONE, NEVER, between them.

Go read your romance somewhere else seriously, give it a rest.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:10 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Not going to get into a fraggle over your opinion vs my opinion, but what you said is what I was pointing out.

A professional movie critic isn't going to point out so many flaws and criticisms of the story, and then give it a near perfect score. And that is why I questioned her journalistic integrity. It's really no different than if a critic wrote, "Catwoman is a horrible movie, but I'm giving it a thumbs up because Halle Barry is hawt!"

Just out of curiosity, how many professional film reviews have you actually read? Because if the answer is "some," you'd know that critics frequently point out problems with films to which they award three or four stars. Clearly, Amy felt that the movie's many pluses outweighed the minor problems to which she made reference. Also, your ridiculous Catwoman analogy is downright insulting to the reviewer. Her reasons for awarding the film a high score were explained in meticulous detail.

Quote:
So I would say, either the score gets revised to reflect the article or the article redone to reflect the score.

Good thing you're not her editor, huh? Again, I can't help but feel that your accusations of compromised journalistic integrity and unprofessionalism stem from your inability to accept the fact that the reviewer's opinion of the film was markedly different from your own.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:51 am Reply with quote
Mikael Z. Haswell wrote:

Plus as we now know all he ever felt was Sakura was an obligation to beat Sasuke at something

But didn't Naruto like Sakura before he even knew Sasuke?
sonicgx11

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:25 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Mikael Z. Haswell wrote:

Plus as we now know all he ever felt was Sakura was an obligation to beat Sasuke at something

But didn't Naruto like Sakura before he even knew Sasuke?

Not really, during naruto flashbacks, we never seen him interacting with sakura, or even him mentioning her. It was always naruto trying to beat sasuke in everything unless I'm wrong and it was in filler.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Madoka...AYUKAWA! wrote:
For the xxxxxmillionth time!! WHY??? This is not a DAMN romance manga to see a love develop and take many chapter to satiate those thet believe were reading another genre entirely, you just jumped several years ahead and it happened, end of story. Kishimoto had no reason to satiate your romance development as naruto is not about romance, we did get to know the characters feelings here and there and it was more than enough for a shounen manga, he could have developed it more, he chose not to, its simple, as romance its not the drive of the story, never was, so you have no grounds to complain the lack of it, shounen has never been about romance, some authors chose to lightly show some romance, some love interest here and there, and for a shounen thats about it, eventually there a manga that likes to do what dragon ball did... and I have to to hear someone complaining that DB lacked romance development and why we never knew how exactly Krilin hooped uo with 18 or how Gohan and And videl relationship actually developed, we jumped years ahead and we saw them married and with kids and the like, there was no need to see the relationship development on screen, and the reaction should be oh, look who ended up with whom cool, strange, something like that.

I do not mean to say you have to accept and like Naruto ending with Hinata, which is what all the rage is about from butthurt Naruto x Sakura shippers, but complaining time and time again amnd you only argument to support and try to invalidate Hinata x naruto pair is that that kishimoto did not develop more the romance between them its stupid and its getting tiring as once more this is shounen manga, kishimoto had no obligation to develop the romance between them as you wished for, even if he did you would not accept it anyway, the key romance insights we saw between different characters, small or big if you wish were more than enough... the same scene people cite, about Hinata risking her life to help Naruto in the Naruto vs pain fight and once more in the final final fight, were very big romance key points between them, they were HUGE no Naruto x Sakura come close, in fact there was NONE, NEVER, between them.

Go read your romance somewhere else seriously, give it a rest.

And this is the reason I never argue with with people on the Naruto forums...........

Just like Kishi had no obligation to properly develop his pairing I have no obligation to like a shitty movie to end the series. And since when did being an action manga make it an excuse? What about the time Sakura fakely confessed to Naruto? What about Hinata's confession? What about the fact Sakura fully confesses her love for Sasuke before he leaves the village?

Regardless of what you may think the fact Kishi teased these romantic elements means I'm well within my rights to criticize him for being so lazy in developing them. That's like throwing a dog a bone to a place he'll never get it. It's plain bad writing imo. Hinata's love for Naruto arcs through the ENTIRE SHOW. And your telling me that just because this is supposed to be a stupid action show I can't expect there to be ANY proper romantic developments even though that's almost the ENTIRE BASE of hinata's character?

The hell outta here son. Wink

Please do not overquote. --willag
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Madoka...AYUKAWA! wrote:

For the xxxxxmillionth time!! WHY??? This is not a DAMN romance manga to see a love develop and take many chapter to satiate those thet believe were reading another genre entirely, you just jumped several years ahead and it happened, end of story.

Uh, then why bring it up in the story? Seriously, a series can have a love story without being a romance manga. Heck, a lot of great series have good love stories despite not being romance series. You basically say 'it's an action series, what do you expect?"; I expect the writer to follow up on things. If you don't want to be criticized for bringing up a love story you fail to follow up on, then don't bring it up in the first place. To demand otherwise is just silly.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:

My biggest gripe with the end of Naruto was the large city right next to Konoha at the end. Where did that leap in development come from

Probably from reforms made during the the remainder of Tsunade's and under Kakashi's time as Hokage. Remember the village had been largely devastated during Pain's attacks so why just rebuild the old buildings that had been destroyed when you can put up new ones to make the village less old looking.

Covnam wrote:
and why would it be right next to Konoha?

Where else would you put it especially with all the extra space left over from Pain's Almighty Push.
Krotchstak

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:59 pm Reply with quote
I'm kind of two minds about the romance thing.

On the one hand, speaking generally, the sheer weight that shippers are putting on pairings is incongruous with the genre, as people like Madoka...AYUKAWA! suggest. The series isn't even remotely driven by the few crushes/romance that do pop up; they're just that much more background flavoring, so all the trawling for "evidence" and huge rants about why Kishi was WRONG to pair two characters together are futile nonsense. In fact, I'd bet that the reason everybody got paired off in the end was just a way to show that they're leading successful adult lives, of which a family is a clear sign (especially to a guy like Kishimoto, who pretty obviously a rather traditional guy on the whole).

On the other hand, I'm totally with AiddonValentine and leatherhead333 and others in the case of Hinata; Kishimoto deliberately brought her feelings more to the forefront and did nothing with them - despite having ample time to in the bloated 4th Shinobi War - until this movie. The reason, of course, is that Kishimoto used this as a cheap attempt to give further weight to Pain's attack (see also: Kakashi's "death"), and nothing more. Which is definitely worthy of criticism. It's a legitimate narrative fail, and definitely a sign of things to come.

Anyways, I'm interested in this movie, but I'll probably give it until I get through the manga again before watching, so it might be some time yet. Nice to see a similarly-minded fan (Shippuden reviews are great!) enjoying it.
Covnam

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:07 am Reply with quote
@Madoka...AYUKAWA! - First, chill.
Moving on, it was obvious that he would end up with Hinata, since Sakura's fake confession if not sooner and I have no issue with that pairing. Or any of the pairings for that matter, Kishimoto can pair up whomever he wants.
However, just because it is an shonen action manga, does not mean that major character plot points should just be ignored. When a character acts out of character or has had something building up over the entire coarse of the series and finally brings it to light, it should be addressed by the other characters. Regardless of the topic. Putting aside the fact that there is no reason that you can't have romance in a shonen action manga, the fact that it was brought out means it shouldn't have been left alone and needed to be touched upon.

I don't know how most people feel about the DBZ pairings, but from what I recall Toriyama threw a few hints at future relationships and then left it at that till he showed the results after the next time skip. He did not have one character confess their love (or even anything close) and then have the other character ignore it. Toriyama clearly (at least in my opinion) wasn't interested in bringing up romance in DBZ and so didn't mention it. So there was really little need to address it outside of a few lines here and there.

BadNewsBlues wrote:
Covnam wrote:

My biggest gripe with the end of Naruto was the large city right next to Konoha at the end. Where did that leap in development come from

Probably from reforms made during the the remainder of Tsunade's and under Kakashi's time as Hokage. Remember the village had been largely devastated during Pain's attacks so why just rebuild the old buildings that had been destroyed when you can put up new ones to make the village less old looking.

I don't know. The village in the last shot looked pretty similar to the old village, at least in design. Which is really what I'm talking about. The city looks like it's right out of a modern city block, not something in the world it's supposed to be in. And in what, only 10-15 years?

BadNewsBlues wrote:
Covnam wrote:
and why would it be right next to Konoha?

Where else would you put it especially with all the extra space left over from Pain's Almighty Push.

I did a quick look online to be sure, but the attack happened in the center of the village in front of the hokage cliff. So that city presumably had nothing to do with rebuilding from that attack. From what I can tell the village was rebuilt in the same place, but now there's also a city right next door.
I'm just thinking along the lines of, why is there a new city right next to the "hidden village". I get that it's not literally hidden where no one can find it, it just seems odd to me to have a bunch of huge buildings just outside the village.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Krotchstak wrote:

On the other hand, I'm totally with AiddonValentine and leatherhead333 and others in the case of Hinata; Kishimoto deliberately brought her feelings more to the forefront and did nothing with them - despite having ample time to in the bloated 4th Shinobi War - until this movie.

Yeah, he could have done an expansion of Hinata and Naruto's relationship at ANY time during that. So many of the fights during the "War" (which I consider more of a Godzilla movie than a war) were so boring or repetitive that could have been outright excised or trimmed down and the arc would have been better for it. Heck, a lot of characters could have gotten expansions instead of just having another fight scene. No one came into the series expecting love stories, but considering how one was brought up and then never followed up on is cause for criticism.

Quote:
The reason, of course, is that Kishimoto used this as a cheap attempt to give further weight to Pain's attack (see also: Kakashi's "death"), and nothing more. Which is definitely worthy of criticism. It's a legitimate narrative fail, and definitely a sign of things to come.

Which makes Kishi come off as manipulative in terms of writing. Instead of actually having legit tension due to us liking the characters, wanting to see where the plot is going, and being invested in a rich world, he resorts to shock deaths to try and up the stakes. Which was for naught because he undid nearly everything by the end of the arc save for Konoha being flattened (and even then that was fixed in a few months, at the slowest). All in all, it came off as sappy and hollow, one of the biggest low points of the series.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:47 am Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:

I don't know. The village in the last shot looked pretty similar to the old village, at least in design. Which is really what I'm talking about. The city looks like it's right out of a modern city block, not something in the world it's supposed to be in.

You could say the same thing about the schizo tech they've used in and outside of the main canon. It's awkward yeah but it's there.

Covnam wrote:
And in what, only 10-15 years?

Given how crazy the world of Naruto is it wouldn't be improbable to build something like that within that timeframe especially if some of the people constructing those buildings are the shinobi with the crazy abilities that could be useful in constructing all that stuff.
SnaphappyFMA

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:07 am Reply with quote
Saw the movie today, and despite its flaws, I enjoyed it very much. =D

The audience was into it too. It's great watching anime in a theater with other fans, especially a Naruto movie where everyone understands the characters and the history and gets the in-jokes. It turns the theater into an enormous living room where you get to watch the movie with your Naruto fan family. Anime hyper

On the pairings - I do think the one-sentence explanation for why we were all wrong for thinking Naruto was in love with Sakura all these years was... not quite enough. But on the other hand, I totally believe Sakura never stopped being in love with Sasuke. It's hard, because you can accept that Naruto and Hinata are good together after seeing this movie, but in my opinion there was so little lead-in to this relationship in the series that it's still jarring to see Naruto being romantic with Hinata.

And Greensleeves at the beginning was a surprise - really out of place and took me out of the movie for a few moments as I thought, "that can't be Greensleeves, can it? This is anime - this is Japan - this is Naruto!" Anime hyper
TheKing_65

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:53 am Reply with quote
The Last: Naruto the Movie seemed to me to be coasting too much on fanfare. For example, Hinata largely got over her shyness and expressing her feelings to Naruto during the Konoha Invasion and even awakened Naruto from his state of disbelief at the sight of Neji's death, so Naruto clearly knows she likes him. Furthermore, I can’t take the tenseigan seriously because Kaguya, the strongest character in the series, didn’t have it and she had the progenitor to the rinnegan, so it only makes sense that she’d have the tenseigan too if it’s supposed to be stronger since she had the strongest everything. I kind of look at it as non-cannon; it kind of makes me think of Dragonball Z because it completely throws story logic away in order to have 1 more big fight.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5