• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: THR: Live-Action Robotech Project Signs Furious 7 Director James Wan

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EricJ2

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:39 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Asian director................

Director currently sought out by every studio to turn THEIR movie into a 12-film brandname franchise too, just like Saw, Insidious and The Conjuring.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:37 am Reply with quote
Transformers is mainstream. GI Joe is mainstream. Teen Titans Go is sadly mainstream. The UFC is mainstream.

Robotech is not. And the repeated attempts of glorified copyright trolls to make it a thing have always, always ended in failure. Sony can't bring all disgruntled parties together, so the script to some lame sci fi movie will be rewritten so the word Robotech can be put in it and no one will care.
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:45 am Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
Transformers is mainstream. GI Joe is mainstream. Teen Titans Go is sadly mainstream. The UFC is mainstream.

Robotech is not. And the repeated attempts of glorified copyright trolls to make it a thing have always, always ended in failure. Sony can't bring all disgruntled parties together, so the script to some lame sci fi movie will be rewritten so the word Robotech can be put in it and no one will care.

Then the movie could make it mainstream. When the "Transformers" movie came out, it helped revive the franchise after the Unicron Trilogy failed to do that. Say what you will about Michael Bay, but his movies helped spawn two of the best incarnations in the franchise (Animated and Prime).
EricJ2

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
Wan does realize that he's going to be directing a glorified Battle: Los Angeles sequel, right?

No robots, no transforming jets, , no love triangle, no Chinese pop idols, no NOTHING.

Battle: Los Angeles on Earth, or Wing Commander in space, either way, no giant music-fearing Blue Meanies.
Lycosyncer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Wow, James Wan has come a long way since his Saw days because judging by his upcoming film slate, he already has his plates full with the sequel to The Conjuring and Aquaman on the way and I take it that this means that he will most likely not going to get involved in Fast & Furious 8.

As for what's going on with Robotech? I still think the movie is still unlikely to get off the ground but when the cameras really start rolling, that's when I know that this no bluff.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:31 pm Reply with quote
@Beatdigga I will care if the movie will turn out to be good and Teen Titans Go is one of the best DC tv shows to date.
Quote:
From the first film by Michael bay to the most recent movie, "Transformers: Age of Extinction", the toy revenues of Transformers has gathered a total of $3 billion dollars

http://www.vcpost.com/articles/29012/20141012/top-movies-billion-sales-merchandise-walt-disney-films-prove-undying.htm

Harmony "Gold" Rolling Eyes won´t be missing out on the chance of a lifetime and a sucessfull movie could be a chance to get Macross rights streight if the money starts to roll in so i once again wish this movie luck. It will need it after all but at least the buildding block for sucess are there.
All of this is already better than Macross 7 or Macross II and Saw 1 (the rest are trash) is a great no budget thriller so Wan never improved. He only stay (mostly) on point.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:19 pm Reply with quote
You need a complete movie before you can profit off of it.

And the licensing nightmare ensures the script they use will be from a repurposed Starship Troopers sequel.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Tars:
Quote:
Robotech is mainstream. That is why Sony wanted it.

Please. Robotech is as mainstream as ExoSquad.

Quote:
Still think that if Sony wants a true adaptation of Robotech, they can make it happen with all parties agreeing.

The only way all parties will agree is if Sony pays up.

Animeking: Except Transformers has been going on forever. Yeah, the interest peaked after G1, but people were still buying into it from Beast Wars until today.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:

Well, we won't know which way Sony is planning to go anyway. The die is already cast.

I still believe Sony has the power to bring the parties together. After all, it is Sony. If they need the waters to part, it will happen. Guess we will have to wait to see if filming begins, and then see which way they will go.

There is still plenty of chances for this to sink in development hell. The bounty that Tomorrowland has failed to bring could affect the fate of many proposed sci-fi movies. It killed the Tron sequel, though that may be because both properties are Disney.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:37 am Reply with quote
@GATSU ExoSquad reboot when? Oh wait is way crazy gritty already... Never mind.
You know what? ExoSquad is a better written show that all of Macross not called Plus so that i would watch too. I further asked around today and only one anime fan/geek i know knew that Macross exists but none heared of Robotech as in never reached Germany. I got in in Russian in some form though. Weird. If Guardians of the Galaxy worked out (i have been a fan for a decade btw.) than Sony-morphers has a chance too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:05 am Reply with quote
resident:
Quote:
ExoSquad is a better written show that all of Macross not called Plus so that i would watch too.

You kind of already did with Cameron's Avatar. Wink
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:22 pm Reply with quote
ExoSquad was more a Gundam ripoff than anything.
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:10 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

Quote:
Still think that if Sony wants a true adaptation of Robotech, they can make it happen with all parties agreeing.

The only way all parties will agree is if Sony pays up.

Ha ha no chance. Big West hates Harmony Shit, they were backstabbed by Harmony Shit. Money doesn't enter into the equation. It's a primal kind of hate. The only way we're ever going to see Macross outside Japan (or a Macross live action inside the Robotech live action franchise) is if Harmony Shit as a company dies. Six feet under dead. And even then I think the guys at Big West would think it over 10 times before doing anything. Sony won't be able to fix the fracture. No amount of money will.
At the end of the game it doesn't matter because Sony bought into the Robotech name. There will be no Macross anything in this film.
Robotech is jut an empty name for transformable robots. That's it.
Same kind of deal was done for Asimov's live action I Robot. The live action film had nothing to do with the original novel. It was just an empty name.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Cptn:
Quote:
Money doesn't enter into the equation.

Believe me, if you have it, then they'll shut up, at least. But Sony's broke, anyway, so that ain't happening.

Quote:
Same kind of deal was done for Asimov's live action I Robot. The live action film had nothing to do with the original novel.

Yeah, but they still gotta pay Asimov's estate for it.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:15 pm Reply with quote
@Cptn_Taylor

All that hate talk is an anime fan thing. It doesn't exist outside of anime fandom.

If Sony wants a true adaptation, then they will make it happen. Not saying Sony wants too, you could even be right and it is going to be some generic show.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5