• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Non Non Biyori Repeat

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leeoflittlefaith

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:37 pm Reply with quote
5 star episode this week.

spoiler[ When Renge rides her bike on her own and Candy Store is left holding her hands out... my heart... ]
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:18 pm Reply with quote
I just watched last week's episode (since it just became free on Crunchyroll).

I noticed that, if you combine the chronology of the first season and the second season together, Hikage returns to Asahigaoka from Tokyo a whopping three times from August to October, the first time being for summer break, the second time, in mid-September for o-Higan (Buddhist equinox holiday) and Tsukimi (moon viewing), and the third time for Natsumi's botched attempt to hold a school festival (date unclear, but it seems to be October).

I would have thought that they could have just explained Hikage's presence in episode 9 of Repeat as her being there for the School Festival (even if it's a little early in the chronology), but, nope, her older sister Kazuho makes it clear that Hikage returned in this episode specifically for o-Higan whilst Hikage had to be persuaded on the phone by Renge and Konomi to come back to Asahigaoka yet again for the "School Festival" in episode 9 of the first season (with Konomi only getting Hikage to agree by claiming Kazuho would pay for her trip).

Hikage making two separate trips back to Asahigaoka after summer break isn't really a continuity error, but given that it's a long trip (~6 hours by train each way, although a lot of that would be waiting at various stations when transferring between trains) and that Hikage appears to stay in Asahigaoka for several days each time, I gotta imagine Hikage's not too popular with her teachers at high school for her frequent absences.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
blaZofgold

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:44 am Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
I just watched last week's episode (since it just became free on Crunchyroll).

I noticed that, if you combine the chronology of the first season and the second season together, Hikage returns to Asahigaoka from Tokyo a whopping three times from August to October, the first time being for summer break, the second time, in mid-September for o-Higan (Buddhist equinox holiday) and Tsukimi (moon viewing), and the third time for Natsumi's botched attempt to hold a school festival (date unclear, but it seems to be October).

I would have thought that they could have just explained Hikage's presence in episode 9 of Repeat as her being there for the School Festival (even if it's a little early in the chronology), but, nope, her older sister Kazuho makes it clear that Hikage returned in this episode specifically for o-Higan whilst Hikage had to be persuaded on the phone by Renge and Konomi to come back to Asahigaoka yet again for the "School Festival" in episode 9 of the first season (with Konomi only getting Hikage to agree by claiming Kazuho would pay for her trip).

Hikage making two separate trips back to Asahigaoka after summer break isn't really a continuity error, but given that it's a long trip (~6 hours by train each way, although a lot of that would be waiting at various stations when transferring between trains) and that Hikage appears to stay in Asahigaoka for several days each time, I gotta imagine Hikage's not too popular with her teachers at high school for her frequent absences.

You'd be surprised at how many random holidays Japanese celebrate with no-school. Like Marine Day. Or Hirohito's Birthday.

Also, with the Happy Monday System, it's not out of the question for Hikage to come home for the long weekend.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Because I don't pay for Crunchyroll, I won't see episode 10 until next Monday but I'm a spoiler-reader and I was looking at screencaps posted to Reddit and I noticed something rather curious about this screencap.

spoiler[The rice farmer is riding a rice transplanter tractor that looks exactly like the one that belongs to the Miyauchi family. (Kazuho was riding it in episode 3 of the first season and you see it parked in the Miyauchi family shed/garage behind Renge's new bicycle in episode 4 of this season.)

I see three possibilities:

1) The rice farmer just happens to own the same type of rice transplanter as the Miyauchis.

2) The rice farmer borrowed the Miyauchi's rice transplanter.

Or, most tantalizingly:

3) The rice farmer shown here is Renge's father. Why not? We know from dialogue that her parents are around but they're never shown because they work very long hours in their family's rice fields, so, it stands to reason that, if the anime shows a farmer in a rice field, there's a chance that it might be Renge's father, and the rice transplanter could be the anime dropping a subtle hint that it is him. Like a way to "show the father" without formally introducing him, just an Easter egg for people like me who are curious and who pay attention to small details.

I can't tell from a screencap whether they react to each other, but maybe they're both really stoic and don't need to show affection in a big showy way.

If anyone cares, I also have a theory about the identity of the Koshigaya father: that he's the dairy farmer you see behind Natsumi the very first time you get a good look at her in the first episode of the first season.]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
wastrel

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Shows like this, and specifically episodes like this number 10, are why I still watch anime.
Lusbox

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Never fails to put a smile on my face, and that preview!
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:14 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad the last few episodes have fleshed out the character of Konomi Fujimiya a bit.

In the first season, Konomi just shows up in episode 8 and 9 without much of any explanation of who she is other than her being a neighbor of the Koshigaya family. I mean, Kaede Kagayama wasn't used very much either before Non Non Biyori episode 7, but you got a small glimpse of Kaede the first time that Hotaru went to the Candy Store with Komari.

But now we know that Konomi likes gardening and simple magic tricks and she can play the flute and she has a keen eye for fashion (okay, we did hear Konomi talk a little about fashion in episode 8 of the first season, but she actually used that fashion knowledge for something in episode 9 of this season). She's still the least interesting of the older four girls (Kazuho, Kaede, Konomi, and Hikage), but at least Konomi isn't just "some random neighbor girl" in my mind anymore.
Yuri Fan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Concerning the review: Fist of the North Star? More like JoJo's Bizarre Adventures! They even had David Productions working on this episode (11)! That was some oraora-level beatdown!
leeoflittlefaith

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:40 pm Reply with quote
The 'sosuns' scene was priceless. I expect that to do the anime gif rounds soon.
motormind

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:48 am Reply with quote
I have been to the Japanese countryside quite a few times, and the only time I didn't have a signal when I was climbing up a mountain in Shirakawa-go (the setting of Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni), and even then it wasn't for long.

That said, I didn't think the scene with Renge and her drawings was all that cute. There really was no need for Renge to keep hitting Hikage on the collarbone, and if I had been Hikage I'd would get kicked her in a corner. If you don't curb that behavior Renge will grow up to be some violent bitch!

I loved Hotaru's interactions with her mother. though. Man, both of them were awfully cute throughout that segment.
leeoflittlefaith

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:07 pm Reply with quote
motormind wrote:

That said, I didn't think the scene with Renge and her drawings was all that cute. There really was no need for Renge to keep hitting Hikage on the collarbone, and if I had been Hikage I'd would get kicked her in a corner. If you don't curb that behavior Renge will grow up to be some violent bitch!

...you have a very strange interpretation of sibling interactions.
hyojodoji

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:48 am Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
Yeah, I'm personally wondering if the shot from the first season's opening where the other girls are dressing Renge up in a kimono for what, I presume, is a Shichi-Go-San ceremony (November 15th), will be expanded upon in a future episode.

Actually, that is hina-matsuri.
You can see hina-ningyō (dolls) in the background.
One of the origins of hina-matsuri is noble families' little girls' having played with dolls.

The Tale of Genji says:
Quote:
 二條院におはしたれば、 紫の君、いともうつくしき片生ひにて、「紅はかうなつかしきもありけり」と見ゆるに、無紋の櫻の細長、なよらかに着なして、何心もなくてものしたまふさま、いみじうらうたし。古代の祖母君の御なごりにて、齒黑めも まだしかりけるを、ひきつくろはせたまへれば、眉のけざやかになりたるも、うつくしうきよらなり。「心から、などか、かう憂き世を見あつかふらむ。かく心苦しきものをも見てゐたらで」と、思しつつ、例の、もろともに雛遊びしたまふ。

Arthur Waley translated it as:
Quote:
 When he returned to the Nijo-in he found Murasaki waiting for him. She was growing up as handsome a girl as one could wish, and promised well for the future. She was wearing a plain close-fitting dress of cherry color; above all, the unstudied grace and ease of her movements charmed and delighted him as he watched her come to meet him. In accordance with the wishes of her old-fashioned grandmather her teeth were not blackened, but her eyebrows were delicately touched with stain. "Why, when I might be playing with a beautiful child, do I spend my time with
an ugly woman?" Genji kept on asking himself in bewilderment while they sat together playing with her dolls.

Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:53 am Reply with quote
^ Ah, good to know. I suppose there's a small chance that we'll see that in an OVA, although, if it's March 3rd, that would only happen if the upcoming OVAs jumped back to points in the timeline before the final episode of Non Non Biyori Repeat, which is set in April (in fact, it's set immediately after the final episode of the first season).
leeoflittlefaith

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:36 pm Reply with quote
I will miss this series terribly. It's been a delight to look forward to each week. I just rewatched episode 4, god it's just brilliant.
motormind

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:55 pm Reply with quote
[quote="leeoflittlefaith"]
motormind wrote:

...you have a very strange interpretation of sibling interactions.

I never had my sister hit me repeatedly in the collarbone, and I would have kicked her butt if she had tried that.

That said, this was a wonderful series, and it rightfully ended up way up in the polls throughout its run. Next time I'm in Japan I might try to look up some of the locations.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5