• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Attack on Titan: Junior High

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
secondkas

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:57 am Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:
thanks for being offensvie with that tangent, so I will tell you what the spoiler is since you seem to think that it will be all the events and not an isolaet event as logic dictates.

Sorry, this is delayed, but since your response was also delayed (thanks for doing so anyway!), let's just call it even. I'm not trying to be "offensive", I'm not picking a fight. I genuinely want to know how blatant it is so I could decide whether to continue or not. That was just my gauge of what "pretty much there" is: the actual events in the story. So it's not? Good, let's move on. And thanks, but I'm not reading your spoiler tag, as I'm sure it's some detail I overlooked when I was watching (plus it feels like I'm accepting your punishment for daring to ask).

I stopped reading the review midway since it started mentioning manga references. The show is still a fun watch (episode 11 has some cute moments, like Armin's festival outfit and Annie in a cat booth), but people can't help relating it to the original, so I guess it's about time to be away from the discussion.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 6:38 pm Reply with quote
As someone who isn't current with the manga, nothing has struck me as particularly spoiler-y yet, but I may not be watching the show closely enough. It's possible that assorted plot elements have been leaked, but since I'm unfamiliar with the source material, I haven't picked up on this. (Granted, it's been nearly three years since I saw the original series, so certain character dynamics and relationships aren't exactly fresh in my mind.)
Merida

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:56 am Reply with quote
I can only speak for myself of course, but the sole reason i find this show even marginally entertaining is because i'm familiar with the source material (anime & manga). The entire charm of this anime is that it takes serious scenes from the original and puts them into a rather ridiculous context. Without that knowledge it's just a sequence of rather lame jokes.

So in my opinion the problem isn't so much that you're gonna be spoiled if you're not current with the manga, but that the show is far less entertaining that way.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:45 am Reply with quote
I feel like seeing the "real" anime has provided me with a clear enough understanding of most of the show's self-parodic elements, but again, since I'm not current with the manga, certain jokes may be lost on me. I've yet to get that impression, though, so my enjoyment of the series has yet to be hampered in that regard.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Isabel Magnolia and Farlan Church simply sitting in the audience at Jean's awful play is a bit of fanservice for those who recognize them.

that's one of the problems with this show, the references are just there and a lot of times they don't even make any sense.

if anything I was pleasantly surprised when I tought this time the joke was that uolo did not byte his tongue but a cheese burger, too bad I was wrong and he bit his tongue right afterwards.
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:46 pm Reply with quote
For a spinoff show, I liked it overall. It was a decently funny, entertaining, zero-mental-effort show, and I liked its particular sense of humor. It's not going to win any awards, but to help tide me over until S2 hits, it did its job.
sim0n2170

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:36 am Reply with quote
Good parody series done right. Good job Production I.G.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:43 pm Reply with quote
For what it was, I thought this was an okay series overall. (At the very least, I enjoyed it more than the manga.) Naruto SD and DD Hokuto no Ken are still the standard-bearers for shows of this type, but I wouldn't mind revisiting this one at some point.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4