• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Annie Award Nominations Announced

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tenchi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:41 pm Reply with quote
It looks like Cars has won the first semi-major animated film award of the awards season, from the National Board of Review.

It's not necessarily an indicator as to which animated film will win the Annie and the Oscar, but it does indicate that Cars still has the momentum, despite the competition from Happy Feet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Richard J.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Cloe wrote:
That's true, but I guess my point was more that Western animations tend to focus more on animation, while anime often focuses more on its illustrative qualities, whatever the reason may be.
I didn't mean to sound as if I were disagreeing with or dismissing your statement, I was just adding a mention about the budgets.

I agree with what you've said. In full. Western animation focuses on the animation itself, often to the detriment of everything else in my opinion.

On the Family Guy issue, I think I'm supposed to be part of the target audience, since I'm a male age 18-49, the coveted demographic. In my case, the show just didn't appeal. The reasons you mentioned in your post were part of why I didn't like it.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Cloe wrote:

Like Grenzer pointed out, with anime you're not really getting high quality animation so much as pretty drawings with moving mouths. Because it's such a highly stylized aesthetic, anime fans don't really notice the poor animation quality of most anime series and focus more on the detail of the drawings. The simplicity of Western character design allows a higher animation-per-frame rate, thus smoother movement. This is a generalization, of course, and there are exceptions in both categories, but the point is this: I'm not saying one style is better than the other; they're just different. Learning how to appreciate different aesthetics, even if some don't appeal to
you specifically, is key to developing relevant criticisms.

Yeah...right. Maybe its also because many of the cartoons/animations here are...for childern. With the exception of the late night comedy shows (Drawn together, boondocks etc..)

I find myself looking for more substance and I get sex jokes. I guess i'm retty bias. I'm not going to find a Ghibli deep story in a cartoon here. Unless someone can (and prolly will) prove me wrong.

just curious no harmful intent.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:56 pm Reply with quote
You can find "Ghibli deep" stories in SOME animation here in America. Not a lot--but you aren't going to find a huge amount in Japan, either. First: you have to remember that most, if not all of Ghibli's films are for children/families as well, so the issue isn't so much the audience as how we *percieve* the audience here. I haven't seen much of Avatar, but I've heard it's one show that has a deeper plot than what you might normally see in a show here.

Another great recent show--although I don't know if I would call it 'deep'--is Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends. It has excellent flash-based animation, lovable and well thought-out characters, excellent voice acting, and genuinely funny writing.

So, yes, while I'd say that Japanese animation, in general, has deeper shows, I wouldn't say we don't have ANY decent animation here in America.

As for animation meant for adults here in America--I think I agree with the general concenus. I really don't like most of the shows meant for my age group (although I suppose I'm female, so it doesn't matter as much?). I just, in general, dislike the crude humor in the shows. The only two I really enjoy are The Simpsons and Futurama.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
FlamingPinecone

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I'd be happy to enlighten you on Family Guy's qualities if I thought it would do any good.

Sorry I turned this thread into a Family Guy discussion debacle,I didn't think my word would be questioned, I mean: do I need to seriously spell out exactly in great detail why FG is awful?

Because I can and perhaps will but not until requested specifically,then I will create an entire thread dedicated to the subject for fear of derailing this one but for now instead I wont insult your respective intellect and save it for my Live journal rantings.

Quote:
On top of that you're basing this all on nothing more than your own opinion, assuming that if you think something isn't good then it can't be good and that somehow your opinion is the standard in which all animation in this world should be judged.

It's obvious when a person can't cook or can't play guitar,agree? There are basic fundamental principles of any craft that make it good, these are skills. This is what I look for in animation. I ask not for realism, hyper realism or even a specific style, I ask only for skill and entertainment value, if you like a show for one or the others all the power to you, I love 12 Oz Mouse even though it looks awful. In fact, I'd cite it as an example of how purposefully ignoring skill can work. Same for Home Movies. FG however isn't ignoring skill for effect, it's not trying.

I mean, look at this image. I am not basing anything on opinion. It is fact this image is lacking basic skill. I know 14 year olds who could do better.

Opinion is based on various things, opinion would be "I hate this because I do" but I am not talking opinions, i am talking artistic principles son, my 'opinion' is the result of basic artistic principles that people aren't following.

Quote:
If you truly loved it you would respect the differences and diversity of the genre instead of whining and demanding it be redone to fit your view specifically.

I do love people doing different things with the medium, my problem is in general American isn't trying. Disney has been using the same story formula for over a decade, and animation is returning to the factory like Hanna Barbara formula. Just turn on Nick or CN, very little sticks out from the dreck.

I complain because I DO love diversity, I do love skilled people doing new things, it is that which I am not getting.

Now, I'm going to make some positive comments on the list, good enough?

fawhooosh!
FlamingPinecone

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
June Foray Award - Significant and benevolent or charitable impact on the art and industry of animation.

* Stephen Worth

John K called Stephen Worth "a giant in the industry' and if you've ever seen Stephen in person you know how funny that comment is.

Stephen basically collects various peices of classic art, ranging from classic cartoon storyboards to paintings for 60's Playboys. He then host them in a museum and posts them on his blog.

I am glad he got mentioned, he has made classic art available for many it would otherwise not be, his impact may not be felt but it is there and you should all go thank him for it.

Go Stephen Worth.

fawhoooosh!
Neverwhere

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:16 am Reply with quote
MorwenLaicoriel wrote:

Another great recent show--although I don't know if I would call it 'deep'--is Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends. It has excellent flash-based animation, lovable and well thought-out characters, excellent voice acting, and genuinely funny writing.

Foster's is the perfect example of good american animation -- clever, whimsical, and an absolute delight to watch from start to finish. I'm glad it was mentioned in this thread. Smile
Eos

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:25 am Reply with quote
Foster's is the perfect example of good american animation -- clever, whimsical, and an absolute delight to watch from start to finish. I'm glad it was mentioned in this thread. Smile[/quote]

Even though I'm probably too old to watch, I can't help it, it's too funny Wink. I'm glad the better children's cartoons got a nomination in one category or another, but those not made specificly for kids got kicked to the curb.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:22 pm Reply with quote
MorwenLaicoriel wrote:

As for animation meant for adults here in America--I think I agree with the general concenus. I really don't like most of the shows meant for my age group (although I suppose I'm female, so it doesn't matter as much?). I just, in general, dislike the crude humor in the shows. The only two I really enjoy are The Simpsons and Futurama.

Fosters....well. I'll try it. Everytime I have seen it i've felt the need to change the channel. I'm not saying I don't enjoy cartoons because I do. I just don't enjoy them as much.

Avatar is pretty deep. I admit I do watch that show.

now that you mention Futurama i do remember it having high quality animation. or at least an impressive budget for it. Wasn't it like a million an episode?

maybe Ghibli wasn't the best example (seeing as how most of his movie DO end up on childern shelves)...maybe I should say Grave of the Fireflies. Or Now and then here and there.

I'm sorry about saying that we have no decent shows here. That was wrong of me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Nabeshin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:28 am Reply with quote
I for one don't see a problem with anime not being nom'd this year-- not that it doesn't deserve to, but because it merely didn't have as strong a crop as in years past.

Another remarkable thing about this year's awards is that The Simpsons, long-standing cornerstone of adult television animation (and Annie nominee-hoarding title) has been shut out of the nom's save for best writing (Ian Maxtone-Graham). With the way the Simpsons has deteriorated rather glaringly as each season continues, its about time that the industry has finally recognized what the majority of fans have been seeing for years now (not to mention it's dominance in wins in said categories). That's not easy for me to say, for I will always be a fan of the first half of the show's run.

Shows like Foster's, Avatar, and even Robot Chicken (for character animation) show that American productions can put some darn fine work together just as well these days and keep the industry alive at home just as much as abroad. I for one appreciate what both contients put out, and shows like the aforementioned put my fears to rest that the U.S. was waning in it's efforts of quality animation and writing.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Nabeshin:
Quote:
I for one don't see a problem with anime not being nom'd this year-- not that it doesn't deserve to, but because it merely didn't have as strong a crop as in years past.

I don't see how it could be any weaker than a straight-to-video sequel of a classic Disney film.

Quote:
Shows like Foster's, Avatar, and even Robot Chicken (for character animation) show that American productions can put some darn fine work together just as well these days and keep the industry alive at home just as much as abroad.

You're kidding, right? Most of this stuff is made in Korea and China on the cheap, dude.
Nabeshin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:51 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

You're kidding, right? Most of this stuff is made in Korea and China on the cheap, dude.

Not the three I was talking about.
All three-- Avatar, Foster's and Robot Chicken are in fact, American-made. I would refer you to the IMDb crew listings for them:
Foster's:
Robot Chicken:
Nickelodeon Animation Studios produces the latter, out of Burbank, CA for the record.

As for Disney sequels, the sheer number of sequels they put out annually will usually work in their favor to at the very least garner a nomination for home video.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:42 am Reply with quote
Nabeshin wrote:
GATSU wrote:

Not the three I was talking about.
All three-- Avatar, Foster's and Robot Chicken are in fact, American-made. I would refer you to the IMDb crew listings for them:
Foster's:
Robot Chicken:
Nickelodeon Animation Studios produces the latter, out of Burbank, CA for the record.

As for Disney sequels, the sheer number of sequels they put out annually will usually work in their favor to at the very least garner a nomination for home video.

Right. One of the things I think is brilliant about Foster's is the way they use Flash to animate in-house, here in america. Isn't the entire animation staff something like 25 people? That's amazing when you think about it--particularly given that there are a few shots where they have quite a few characters running around at once.

I had no idea that Avatar was done here in the US. I might have to start watching that one as well...

As for the Disney direct-to-video sequels...I dislike them as much as the next person (Although a few are tolerable, at least), but it's a bit difficult to say that *anime* should be nominated against them. Remember, that's a direct-to-video catagory. Sure, a lot of anime is direct to video HERE...but not in Japan. Can it really be counted in the same catagory? I mean, how do you judge a series like Fullmetal Panic against a future-length movie, even if they were both released straight to DVD here? The format's completely different. Even OVAs couldn't quite count, since those are often series, too.

It's a sticky situation...I think anime's almost better off having awards to themselves, at least for the ones that couldn't easily fit into a catagory (although I whole-heartedly support it when it CAN work in a catagory without any problems.)
Nobuyuki

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:57 am Reply with quote
MorwenLaicoriel wrote:
Nabeshin wrote:

Avatar: Nickelodeon Animation Studios produces the latter, out of Burbank, CA for the record.

I had no idea that Avatar was done here in the US. I might have to start watching that one as well...

It may be produced in the US, but it's still primarily animated in South Korea.

Just like The Simpsons.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 3:25 am Reply with quote
Nobuyuki wrote:
MorwenLaicoriel wrote:
Nabeshin wrote:

Avatar: Nickelodeon Animation Studios produces the latter, out of Burbank, CA for the record.

It may be produced in the US, but it's still primarily animated in South Korea.

Just like The Simpsons.

Ahh, gotcha, so it's produced in the US and animated in South Korea like most shows here. I read that sentence wrong.

Oh well, anime does the same thing. Anime hyper
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5