• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Vinland Saga Manga's U.S. Release Could End After 7th Volume

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:39 am Reply with quote
Seriously, when you make ambiguous statements like this, it can be hard for fans to support you. I think it's simpler to just say something like "Because we are having sales problems with a series we didn't really market very well, here's your chance to help continue said series".
lys

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:08 am Reply with quote
One thing that Kodansha has said on the subject is that sales have been okay for current volumes, and it sounds like they mainly need that number to not drop off (that is, they don't want to lose readers/buyers as the series goes on, as happens a lot when publishing a series, as people lose interest or fall behind and wait to catch up). This sounds hopeful to me! It seems close enough that I think those on the fence for buying the series should go for it rather than hold back.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Oh, is THAT why Stephen Paul of the One Piece Podcast sounded so depressed as of late? He's the official translator for Vinland Saga, and he's always talking about how it's his favorite thing to translate (though he does enjoy translating One Piece too).

ikillchicken wrote:
Man, this really pisses me off. How can this series not be a hit? I mean, I accepted long ago that the anime/manga fandom can't be counted on to support good stuff much of the time. But isn't this exactly the kind of material that should be an easy sell for a sizable mainstream (at least as far as manga goes) western audience? So what's up with that? Does it just come down to the format? I don't get the impression that these fancy hardcover double-sized releases have ever really done well.

That, I feel, is a major factor. I'd bet it's because the books are hardcover 2-in-1 editions, and so they'd cost substantially more. It not only looks more intimidating to someone unfamiliar with the serious or just curious, it also costs more to take the plunge and get the first volume. That is, such a format would require a higher level of commitment than if there were normal, thinner, cheaper paperback editions.

Depending on the quality of the hardcover, it may also be easily ruined by manga cows. I've seen some try to bend hardcover manga in ways they're not supposed to and destroy the covers' internal structure. If this happens repeatedly with copies of Vinland Saga at Barnes & Nobles and such, it'd result in a lot of returned copies back to the publisher.

Gustave Archamp wrote:
The volumes are cheap. All TOO cheap if I can be honest. Twenty dollars for a double volume hardcover edition is rediculous. Look at Gundam the Origin for example and we have a double volume for nearly thirty dollars, a gorgeous one at that, and that is definitely worthwhile. Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer is sixteen or so dollars for a soft cover. The page size is also a lot bigger than typical manga that is released here, so I was really surprised that the costs was so low for us consumers. Plus Vinland Saga is historical fiction which is alredy a hard sale considering there are no lolis or magical creatures to draw in readers. All it has going for it is super detailed art, an engrossing story and great action scenes by a veteran acclaimed artist.

But you're looking at it from the point of view of a wholesale buyer. Someone who's looking through manga will focus on two things: 1) That it's $20 and thus costs more than other manga, regardless of its content, and 2) That it's big. It's a poor format for someone just trying to sample it who's unsure if they'll like it or not. Then again, as mentioned later, there are more expensive hardcover manga that are selling better, so I guess there's some other turn-off to it.

Is Vinland Saga available digitally? Because if it isn't, that was a major opportunity wasted. It would avoid both of those problems at once because digital releases are inherently cheaper due to not needing any raw materials and fewer middlemen, and all digital manga will look the same in size from afar.

merr wrote:
Gustave Archamp wrote:
The volumes are cheap. All TOO cheap if I can be honest.

This is part of the problem, I think. The hardcover is supposed to convey prestige, but the style Kodansha chose makes it look like a high school textbook from the 90s. It looks cheap and almost makes the manga seem like it's for children. By comparison, the hardcover style Yen Press uses for A Bride's Story and Emma makes those series look like literature, and it seems to be getting them sales even at double the price point.

I also have a feeling the Amazon snafu with volume 1 of this series did a lot of harm. It didn't help that Kodansha's PR people were very slow (and some of them slightly rude) in explaining why Amazon never got stock and then cancelled people's preorders weeks after the book had released everywhere else.

So Kodansha is pretty much not used to western-style PR?

That being said, something that LOOKS cheap and something that IS cheap are two totally different things. Something that sells for a low price but looks prestigious will be snatched up if it's good. Something that sells for a low price and looks low-quality will get sales here and there if it can undercut the competition. Something that sells for a low price but looks even shoddier than the price suggests will sell only to the uninformed. That's the way I see it.

An example is Pabst Blue Ribbon in China: It is marketed as a prestigious beer available at a low price (sold in tinted glass bottles instead of cans, sometimes put into textured black paper boxes, cursive font all over it, black silk sheets and its 1800s year of founding put prominently on the ads), and due to that, it is now one of the most popular western beers in China.

TarsTarkas wrote:
The hardcovers for Adam Warren's Empowered Deluxe Editions are sans dust jacket. They also retail for $59.99.

Though you are right some of the Marvel graphic novel hardcovers have dust jackets, some don't.

I just don't buy the argument that no dust jacket equals English Lit text book. The Vinland Saga hardcovers are covered in art from the series. There is no mistaking them for school text books, unless you are studying Viking 101.

Also, school and college text books these days come in all sizes and shapes.

And from the DC side, I went looking for Irredeemable a few months ago at an independently-run bookstore and found it as a jacketless hardcover. I have Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow? as a hardcover with a jacket though. I've also seen Blackest Day released like that. However, the covers tend to have that slightly rough texture to them that indicates a step up from the glossy children's books.Blackest Day is also smaller in page size than children's books, which are pretty large.

There's also America: The Book, I Am America (And So Can You), and Earth: The Book, but they're meant to look like textbooks and children's books.

And there's hardcover books from National Geographic, some of which don't have dust covers (my copies of Our Universe and Everyday Science Explained do not, but National Parks of America does), but they are wrapped in that leathery stuff and have minimalist cover designs as shiny foil imprints (a galaxy for Our Universe, a light bulb for Everyday Science Explained) that indicates they also carry prestige to them.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:49 am Reply with quote
I told Kodansha what to do, but they don't want to listen. All they have to do is get their Japanese bosses to spring for ads for the manga on that cable show, Vikings-and they get new potential customers.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:21 am Reply with quote
jonip wrote:
In my case the next volume would be the third book but when there is these uncertainties up in the air it could be that I spend my money in some other great series.

At the very least, you need to finish up the first arc. Don't know if volume six or volume seven finishes up the second arc. I stopped reading the scanlations when they started publishing.

I don't know how much stock is out there, but you don't want to be the unlucky one who waits too long and misses out of a volume.
jonip

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:05 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
I don't know how much stock is out there, but you don't want to be the unlucky one who waits too long and misses out of a volume.

I'm sorry about the late answer.

You might be right about that. It would not be even the first time if that happens. When I started Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service, I got a warning that just buy quickly the second book. I didn't do that and next moment it was out of print. Luckily there is now these omnibus editions of that series.

I think I have to reconsider my decision and buy those volumes of Vinland Saga's which Kodasha have published and maybe will publish. I liked Planetes so there is no reason not to follow Yukimura's storytelling if it is possible.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:16 am Reply with quote
From the way im reading things i see the situation as this. Vols 1-5 didn't sell well enough to satisfy the japanese overlords and so kodansha warned folk that they wont be allowed to carry on if things didn't change. Vol 6 has sold well apparently so we all need to keep it up with vol.7

I've had my pre order since april, i really hope the rest of the fans dont let us down, manga shouldnt be such a hard sell.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4