• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Christian Charity Removes Pokémon, Harry Potter Toys from X-Mas Drive

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lostlorn Forest

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:

Harry potter I can kind of understand since some people are sensitive to stuff like that...but I can't think of a christian or catholic who has a problem with pokemon.

My mother hated both franchises and threw away our Game Boy Colors and Advances as well as the games/cards. She also threw away our Star Wars comics and anything related to Harry Potter, although I'll admit she was way out there. In that she believed the world would end in 2011 and forced an 11-year-old into it for years. You'd be right in assuming it is responsible for my current depression and anxienty, but I guess you could say I love those franchises more than I originally would have because I wasn't allowed them.

Animeking1108 wrote:
There's still a controversy over "Harry Potter?" That franchise hasn't been relevant in almost five years.

Even after Star Wars ended in 1983, until the prequels came out anyway, it's still been as big a buzz as when it first came out. HP is not really so different.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Sounds a bit ungrateful if you ask me; the beggars trying to be choosers. They asked for donations, get some, and don't put them towards they're intended use. Unless the donators of the toys claim it on their tax returns the people who donated just wasted their money by trying to do a good deed. These Samaritans will probably just sell the toys off on a second hand website for profit. Rolling Eyes
Clyde_Cash

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:47 pm Reply with quote
This is yet further proof why we need a ban on religion in the United States. People of faith have gotten away with too much for too long in this country. It has to stop NOW. Check your privilege and renounce your faith, Christians.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 3:01 pm Reply with quote
I'm a Catholic as well, but I can't stand evangelical christian organisations that try to force their over the top, far too agressive literation, deluded, and deranged, interpratations of a few chosen excerpts from the Bible that sort of can fit as a foundation for their beliefs. To me they are not that far different from the murderers and rapists scum what call themselves "Islamic State", ISIL or whatever using certain parts of the Koran to justify their deranged and disgusting criminal actions. [You Ain't No Muslim Brov!]
However, having said that, there will be some very happy poor children that will be very pleased with one of those shoe boxes and they will be none the wiser that it was "sanitised" before hand. so for that, good on 'em. Better something than nothing. Wink
supersqueak

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:22 pm Reply with quote
That's extremely wasteful of them. They should be embarrassed for denying these things from children who will undoubtedly want them. Pokemon is still very popular with American kids.
Ali07

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Wandering Samurai wrote:
And the funny thing about this whole debate is that this would not have been an ANN article if Pokemon wasn't involved.

Just wondering, what's funny about ANN reporting on something that is related to anime?

Last edited by Ali07 on Sun Dec 20, 2015 5:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:55 pm Reply with quote
So can someone who thinks for sure that all this stuff got thrown away please point me to a single piece of evidence about that. Because I have a hard time believing an organization this big would not have other charities ask it for any stuff that it wasn't able to give away for a reason like this.
moepig

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Having previously worked with Samaritan's Purse with Operation Christmas Child, I can assure you all that it has nothing to do with toys being "offensive" or "heretical". They simply have strict guidelines on shoebox content - no toy weapons, no pirate designs, nothing that could potentially scare a child that might have been traumatized by local warlords or voodoo witch doctors or what have you. They remove all explicitly religious (including Christian) material. It's all about being safe and sensitive to the child's needs. They also advise that each shoebox meets various practical criteria (hygiene, education, clothing, etc). They make all these guidelines clear to anyone who takes a shoebox.

It's not like the prohibited item list is secret or anything, either. Every year the shoeboxes and inspected and repacked by volunteers. You can go to one of their warehouses and see for yourself what their regulations are. In all likelihood, some volunteers simply removed items on their own initiative (despite being strongly advised not to unless absolutely necessary), and the charity only found out later as they processed the rejected items.

Seems like everyone here complaining about their practices or proselytizing has forgotten that charity is not about you, it's about the receiving party. You people just want any excuse to not be generous, don't you? "How dare they refuse my good will!" Not seeing any good will here. "How dare they give gifts and make children happy when they don't adhere to my worldview!" If your worldview doesn't support making people happy, you should probably reconsider it.
Lili-Hime

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:37 pm Reply with quote
moepig wrote:
Having previously worked with Samaritan's Purse with Operation Christmas Child, I can assure you all that it has nothing to do with toys being "offensive" or "heretical".

Might want to watch the video link they sourced in the article . It's something new this year according to NBC news. Here you go.
Quote:
Seems like everyone here complaining about their practices or proselytizing has forgotten that charity is not about you, it's about the receiving party.

Exactly. It's about the receiving party. Which is why charity organizations shouldn't decide which toys kids do or don't get as long as they're not physically harmful. War toys are understandable to not include. Pokemon? They're cute harmless lil animals ffs.

Quote:
You people just want any excuse to not be generous, don't you? "How dare they refuse my good will!" Not seeing any good will here.

Wow, you got all of us figured out. People you don't know on the internet and somehow you've figured out all of our motivations. Impressive.

Quote:
"How dare they give gifts and make children happy when they don't adhere to my worldview!" If your worldview doesn't support making people happy, you should probably reconsider it.

Wow, no one actually said that? I'm free to give money to whichever organizations I like. So is everyone else. Doing good isn't something exclusive to religion or Christianity. I'd rather support ones that aren't fundamentalist Christian that then turn around and do things to make others unhappy. I wonder if Samaritan's Purse really supports making everyone happy, as they donated over 100,000 to deny homosexuals like me equal rights in North Carolina.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:00 am Reply with quote
moepig wrote:
"How dare they give gifts and make children happy when they don't adhere to my worldview!" If your worldview doesn't support making people happy, you should probably reconsider it.

I never would have expected your final statement to be this hilariously hypocritical. Seriously, I don't even need to reword it to make it apply to this organization.

The organization is literally refusing to give children certain toys because they disagree with their worldview. I guess, according to your statement there, they should probably reconsider it then, eh?
Laughing
Topgunguy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 5:19 am Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
It's like almost embarrassing to admit you are a Christian when people like THESE IDIOTS do this stupid crap.....>_>

Not really, most people who claim to be Christian these days are so afraid of being labeled as 'intolerant' or 'oppressors' that they start bastardizing their own religion to conform to peer pressure of political correctness since they don't have the balls to stand up for their faith and say 'Hey! We have our own sense of morals and we don't agree with yours, so piss off if you got a problem with me!'
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 6:11 am Reply with quote

It's their charity, so they can do what they want to give.
If they have Islamic, Hinduist, or atheist toys, they would not give those out too.

There's lots of charities. Just choose a charity that supports your views. An USO charity, for example, won't be distributing anything with Communist propaganda, even if it's a toy that a kid likes to play.

Animeking1108 wrote:

There's still a controversy over "Harry Potter?" That franchise hasn't been relevant in almost five years.

There's a new movie in the HP universe coming out.
Besides, the franchise has sold over 450 million books, even more than One Piece. It's now part of the mass cultural icons like Mickey Mouse.

kotomikun wrote:

I assume your point is that they aren't obligated to give out certain brands of toys, which is true. The problem is they didn't just avoid buying Pokemon/Potter toys, they threw out toys that people had donated because they thought they were emissaries of the devil or something. So a lot of people's donations were wasted, and fewer toys were given out. They could have at least not accepted the offensive toys in the first place...

Some donations are sent to them or dumped onto them in boxes that previous owners no longer want and just want to get rid of. In such cases, it's unavoidable they don't get to pick and choose.

Mr. Oshawott wrote:

The one thing wrong with this picture is that this charity drive threw out all of the "offensive" items that the people donated, and that is not okay, at least in my book.

No, they "weeded" them out, but they didn't say what they did with them.

leafy sea dragon wrote:

The more common problem I see is that the donors take offense at having their donations rejected and try to find any reason they can to give it anyway, putting up a fight until they run out of arguments. Sometimes, they will quietly sneak by and put it there.

Some people just want to get rid of 'em. They're just using the donations center as their convenient waste disposers.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Lili-Hime wrote:
I wonder if Samaritan's Purse really supports making everyone happy, as they donated over 100,000 to deny homosexuals like me equal rights in North Carolina.

Homosexuals have always had the right to marry; just because they didn't want to didn't mean they were lacking any legal right not enjoyed by straight people. What was being opposed was an attempt to use the courts to unilaterally change the definition of an existing word with a lot of history, ram that new defintion down everyone else's throats, and expose those who don't accept this new definition to lawsuits, fines, and arrest.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 2:54 pm Reply with quote
vanfanel wrote:

Homosexuals have always had the right to marry; just because they didn't want to didn't mean they were lacking any legal right not enjoyed by straight people. What was being opposed was an attempt to use the courts to unilaterally change the definition of an existing word with a lot of history, ram that new defintion down everyone else's throats, and expose those who don't accept this new definition to lawsuits, fines, and arrest.
Maybe in the US, but here in the UK historically it was first punishable by death, up until the late 20th. Century then just sent to prison, and now after many debates and new amendments, not that big a deal.

Source
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 2:58 pm Reply with quote
@vanfanel

Well, if no-one else will address your post, I will...

vanfanel wrote:
Homosexuals have always had the right to marry; just because they didn't want to didn't mean they were lacking any legal right not enjoyed by straight people.

Actually, quite wrong, there are 1138 statutes under US law where marital status is a factor. People may live together for whatever reasons, but for same-sex couples prior to United States vs Windsor(2013) which made marriage extend to same sex couples, and Obergefell v. Hodges(2015) which invalidated any legal challenges against the same, a lot of rights could not be enjoyed by them vs their straight counterparts.
Quote:
What was being opposed was an attempt to use the courts to unilaterally change the definition of an existing word with a lot of history, ram that new defintion down everyone else's throats...

If you want to go enough back in history, ancient Greece had aplenty of homosexual couples. Besides, the definition of marriage as a term is a lot wider than you might think it is. There's a lot of different customs (obviously) around the world around it.
Quote:
... , and expose those who don't accept this new definition to lawsuits, fines, and arrest.

Care to give an example? Last time I checked, US still had freedom of speech extend to offensive speech.
Or are you referring to cases of attempted discrimination by people against same sex unions? In which case I'm sorry but I think you've mixed up perpetrator and victim...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5