• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: ERASED [2016-01-15]

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marichan99

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Ok I'm really confused - why is Satoru 28 years old in the manga but he's 29 years old in the anime? Is this a mistake by the anime because there's no way he can be 29 years old, and leap back 18 years to back when he's 10 years old because that makes NO sense.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3 of ERASED is to me the first truly great episode of this show. The scene of Kayo beat up was very brutal to watch. I like scenes with strong emotions, but I hope to see more uplifting moments like the one about the Christmas tree.

I hope ERASED keeps having more episodes as strong as episode 3.
Doodleboy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:46 pm Reply with quote
On another note I kind of find hilarious how "cool" Kenya is, for a five year old. His introductory scene is him noticing something is off with Satoru. He's the one who's probably the most perceptive of the cast, figuring out Kayo's problems, giving him information on the social politics and figuring out Satoru lost on purpose. And he's ten-years old.

He's even almost drawn like a shonen-protagonist, rather than the more normal looking Satoru and Kayo.
Jacquipuff

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:50 pm Reply with quote
marichan99 wrote:
Ok I'm really confused - why is Satoru 28 years old in the manga but he's 29 years old in the anime? Is this a mistake by the anime because there's no way he can be 29 years old, and leap back 18 years to back when he's 10 years old because that makes NO sense.

At this point in the story he is less than two weeks away from his 11th birthday, so the amount of time he leapt back is closer to 18 years than 19.

I was watching episode 3 while eating dinner, but pretty soon I was just sitting there with my bowl in my hands and my food going untouched as I became completely absorbed in what was happening on screen. It's a sign of how good the show is, but I guess I should make sure I leave any future episodes for after dinner. Smile
chex mix

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Plasmaeclipse wrote:
chex mix wrote:
You know, I understand getting the template-standard "the directing blah blah, the animation blah blah" drivel review for a magical high school show or something similarly content-free, but can we possibly get a review discussing, dunno, the actual CONTENT of the next episode, please and thank you? This is an actual meaty, quality show that would be lovely to discuss on a week-to-week basis and generic, pointless reviews like this kill threads hard.

Clearly you've never been to a film class before. It's pretty much the first thing they will drill into your head, that every single shot and edit has to be made with a purpose. Frankly the content is heavily tied to the direction of the work I think it's crucial to discuss how the weight of the scene is tied to the way it's presented.

Oh ffs, I at no point stated or implied that any such content should be ignored. I said the review ought to include other things as well as not be generic. Read the actual words of a post before going full art school. Less template-generic reviews make everyone winners.
meiam

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:09 am Reply with quote
Yeah I'm not convinced by that explanation of why child service haven't done anything, "she has great instinct and is never there", like, what? What kind of instinct tell you when child service will show up? I would have been fine with just not mentioning child service existence but to bring it up and dash it away with "the mother has magical ability to avoid child service" is pretty terrible. That being said I'm guessing it's actually a lie and the teacher never did anything or something like that. The way there trying to make the teacher evil is coming off a bit too strong so I'm guessing he's a red herring.
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:54 am Reply with quote
The teacher's design is an almost 1:1 copy of the killer/kidnapper from episode one, so he's either (very obviously) the killer, or it's a red herring.

I'm glad the show had given us more than episode 1, where the main character just wandered around monotonously giving us his wold view about how everything is awful and sucks (though Hinazuki has taken up the mantle), because god that would have gotten old pretty fast.
Valhern

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:33 am Reply with quote
chex mix wrote:
You know, I understand getting the template-standard "the directing blah blah, the animation blah blah" drivel review for a magical high school show or something similarly content-free, but can we possibly get a review discussing, dunno, the actual CONTENT of the next episode, please and thank you? This is an actual meaty, quality show that would be lovely to discuss on a week-to-week basis and generic, pointless reviews like this kill threads hard.

I don't know what you mean by content (I suppose you mean the plot) but I wouldn't expect a different constructed review for a show like this. The directing blah blah and animation blah blah is part of the content since it's, well, animation. It is pointed out that this is a strong story, but the way it is told is that it makes it even better. And in any case, the reviewer does mention on how the mystery is being constructed; in fact, this episode's is mostly building up spots for the mystery, like expanding the view of possible villains, understanding the possible victim and seeing the detective's first struggles at stopping the crime (since Satoru's circumstances are a bit tad special since he already knows of the crime and he is mostly a powerless kid).

Plus, the weekly review is not for the reviewer asking "But who did it?!" every week, it's supposed to take in and put to light what the reviewer got from it, but also, it's not recommendable to make such a lenghty review in speculation to figure out who may be the killer and how the protagonist will stop it; that sounds more like a preview for the next episode.

meiam wrote:
Yeah I'm not convinced by that explanation of why child service haven't done anything, "she has great instinct and is never there", like, what? What kind of instinct tell you when child service will show up? I would have been fine with just not mentioning child service existence but to bring it up and dash it away with "the mother has magical ability to avoid child service" is pretty terrible. That being said I'm guessing it's actually a lie and the teacher never did anything or something like that. The way there trying to make the teacher evil is coming off a bit too strong so I'm guessing he's a red herring.

Satoru quickly retorts with "Then they're incompetent" and the teacher agrees. It's more of a sarcastic remark, it would be better phrased as "Child service went there three times but apparently the mother has great instincts since they went three times but never found her or Kayo". Now, it is also possible that the teacher is lying, but there's a possibility he didn't actually lie, otherwise Satoru would've found out if that was supposed to deceive a child.
Merida

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:40 am Reply with quote
LUNI_TUNZ wrote:
The teacher's design is an almost 1:1 copy of the killer/kidnapper from episode one, so he's either (very obviously) the killer, or it's a red herring.

Yeah, i found that a bit baffling to be honest because it seems so blatantly obvious (at least to anyone who's ever watched a similar show). It might be a read herring or perhaps the anime won't be so much about discovering the true culprit but about convincing the adults that the seemingly nice and caring teacher is the real kidnapper?
fastandman

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:43 am Reply with quote
So far this is my favorite series for this winter season, and it is on way to becoming one my my all time favorite drama/mystery series. I love the way they make the small moments count. just like the saying goes "Enjoy the small pleasures in life, since those are the ones you will always remember." That Christmas tree scene was a masterpiece.
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:49 am Reply with quote
meiam wrote:

Have you ever dealt with child services? I remember (all too vividly) hearing about a horrible case in which the reporter (as in, the person who reported the suspected abuse) was certain that the family was tipped off about the visits, because they apparently cleaned their house and hid all the kid's marks before the social worker showed up. The teacher's statements sounded way too true to life to me. As I said previously in this thread, teachers and other mandated reporters feel like they have to build up a good case against abusive parents, documenting incidents of abuse and neglect for months before calling authorities. Child Services want to avoid removing children from parents for a variety of reasons, unless its absolutely necessary. It's a very complicated and thorny situation, and the teacher didn't come off as suspicious to me, besides for the fact that he was discussing the details of the case with a child. He does fit the physical description of the murderer in ep 1 in general size and body type, so he's still a suspect.

I loved ep 3. It gave me chills. This whole show feels so real, time travel notwithstanding. It really captures both innocent childhood and the horrors of child abuse. The Christmas tree scene in the woods was gorgeous and Hinazuki's smile was amazing. So glad this was animated, because if it were adapted as a drama or movie, we'd probably never get it here and I probably wouldn't watch it if we did, it would just fall under my radar.
DCR

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:01 am Reply with quote
marichan99 wrote:

Like Jacquipuff said, the story begins in may 2006, so 2 monthes after Satoru's 29th birthday.

In a recent "bonus", Kei Sanbe admited that he made a mistake with Satoru's age, and that he should have been 29 and not 28.
Nosehair

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:45 am Reply with quote
spoiler[i'm just gettin scared that the big plot twist in the end is going to be that he actually doesnt go back in time at all and that he just uses his past life events rewritten how he hoped they would have gone as material for his next manga and the reason he has "gone back" so far this time is because he has lots of time to kill while in prison for the murder of his mother, trying to prove his innocence in manga form.]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:15 pm Reply with quote
That scene with Kayo lying in the shed was really hard to watch, seiyuu a little too good. Show is fantastic so far though.
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Nosehair wrote:
spoiler[i'm just gettin scared that the big plot twist in the end is going to be that he actually doesnt go back in time at all and that he just uses his past life events rewritten how he hoped they would have gone as material for his next manga and the reason he has "gone back" so far this time is because he has lots of time to kill while in prison for the murder of his mother, trying to prove his innocence in manga form.]

That's actually a really cool idea. It won't happen, though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 30