• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Kiznaiver

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The many photos of Ruru lining her parents' home were the episode's one somewhat unserious touch

Really? What was "unserious" about it? I thought it was kind of horrific. It's one thing to keep a photo album or a framed picture or, this being Japan, a small shrine of the deceased, but Ruru's parents, especially her mother, are stuck in time, existing in a mausoleum saturated with the dead. It's not even just keeping her room as it it was, their entire house is her shrine. It was as creepy as the police finding the obsessed stalker killer's apartment wallpapered with pictures of his victim.
Caramichael

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 6:00 pm Reply with quote
I agree I can't seem to find the joke in this, it's not like Hugues with his daughter or Ichigo's Father with his dead wife's poster "Masaki Forever", this is people who can't let go and keep living in their memories. Honestly that was the most uncomfortable thing in the whole series I found.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Ep 7 review wrote:
But this episode was basically perfect.

I'll sign on to this. It was positively cathartic when Maki finally cracked a smile at her new friends antics.

The review does leave out one event which seems significant even though it seems to be on the sidelines of the drama. Sonozaki is alone and apparently still smarting from Katsuhira's last remark at her, regards a photograph which shows all the Kiznaivers as little kids. Maybe preschool age. So this group wasn't just thrown together at random after all.
Edl01

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Quote:
The many photos of Ruru lining her parents' home were the episode's one somewhat unserious touch

Really? What was "unserious" about it? I thought it was kind of horrific. It's one thing to keep a photo album or a framed picture or, this being Japan, a small shrine of the deceased, but Ruru's parents, especially her mother, are stuck in time, existing in a mausoleum saturated with the dead. It's not even just keeping her room as it it was, their entire house is her shrine. It was as creepy as the police finding the obsessed stalker killer's apartment wallpapered with pictures of his victim.

I dunno about Nick but that whole scene reminded me a lot of another scene in Anohana that caused me to cringe like hell, then again I think Anohana is one of Okada's weakest works so maybe that was just me.

I will say though that scene wasn't nearly as bad for me, and we got a great mini-speech from Nico thanks to it so it doesn't really take away from the episode.
Via_01

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 8:40 pm Reply with quote
How do I say this...

...this was a very earnest episode. I had a big damn smile on my face by the end. Definitely the best one yet.
Valhern

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 9:23 pm Reply with quote
Wasn't able to comment these latest episodes because I always watched them super late and the conversation was done already.

These two episodes have been really stellar. I think that the combination of TRIGGER's wacky style and Okada's heavy-handed writing have made for something unexpectedly successful. The colorful characters, backgrounds, and well-delivered dialogueless scenes get the messagess across in a much better way than other Okada shows.

Plus, the timing of the comedy is really on-point. I still laugh at Tenga grabbing Hisomu.
Yreva

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 9:28 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Ep 7 review wrote:
But this episode was basically perfect.

I'll sign on to this. It was positively cathartic when Maki finally cracked a smile at her new friends antics.

The review does leave out one event which seems significant even though it seems to be on the sidelines of the drama. Sonozaki is alone and apparently still smarting from Katsuhira's last remark at her, regards a photograph which shows all the Kiznaivers as little kids. Maybe preschool age. So this group wasn't just thrown together at random after all.

I'm not so sure about that. If you pause at the picture it doesn't seem to be the same group besides Sonozaki and Katsuhira. The girl on the left kinda looks like it could be Nico, but the others not too much. Plus the whole group of kids is only seven, whereas the whole current group is eight including Sonozaki.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Yreva wrote:
I'm not so sure about that. If you pause at the picture it doesn't seem to be the same group besides Sonozaki and Katsuhira.

Well I guess you're right. I didn't pause it when I was watching it so I guess my brain filled in details from my expectations. Still it makes me wonder the significance of the picture even more.

Yreva

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 10:18 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Yreva wrote:
I'm not so sure about that. If you pause at the picture it doesn't seem to be the same group besides Sonozaki and Katsuhira.

Well I guess you're right. I didn't pause it when I was watching it so I guess my brain filled in details from my expectations. Still it makes me wonder the significance of the picture even more.

I feel that. I had to do a double take the first time I saw it to make sure :3
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 1:41 am Reply with quote
I too think that the pictures were sad and unhealthy more than silly.
Blues Drive Monster~

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 5:54 am Reply with quote
Great couple of episodes, really glad the show seems to be moving away from it's mean spirited jokes that peppered the early episodes. Plus this ep was an absolute beauty.

BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 12:08 am Reply with quote
I still find it very strange that there hasn't been a physical release license announcement for this series yet. Not sure what the deal is there.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Not to overthink this, but I find it strange that the film deal apparently hinges upon the production of a slipshod documentary. Couldn't they just use the documentary's budget on other promotional efforts?
Valhern

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 11:08 pm Reply with quote
JaggedAuthor wrote:
Not to overthink this, but I find it strange that the film deal apparently hinges upon the production of a slipshod documentary. Couldn't they just use the documentary's budget on other promotional efforts?

The thing is that their manga was famous because they were two highschool girls, and the fact that one died or at least, a conflict between the authors happened, and they were hoping to grab attention with that drama slapped on it.
HandofBobb

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 6:05 am Reply with quote
JaggedAuthor wrote:

I got the impression that Sonozaki used the idea of a film deal as a way to manipulate the film crew into trying to make the documentary, thus setting up the ambush on Maki in last episode, and that there was never any real plan for a film.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8