• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Ace Attorney

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Wow, color me impressed! I was nervous that last week's quality wouldn't hold over, but it did, and it even improved on quite a bit that I didn't care much for in the game. I am still confused about why Penny was even shown last week, since it doesn't seem like she'll be making an appearance, but I can let it slide. Kudos all around; I hope the rest of the episodes go as smoothly as this!

Also, Maya's adorkableness just skyrocketed in this case. I didn't really get that same impression in the games, so I like seeing this playful side of her. Anime hyper

I'm banking on Rise from the Ashes making it in; the Blue Badger has consistently been shown outside the police station twice now. I can't think of much reason to have such a weird looking thing there if it's not going to play into the story later on, unless it's just an easter egg.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 1:20 am Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:
Wow, color me impressed! I was nervous that last week's quality wouldn't hold over, but it did, and it even improved on quite a bit that I didn't care much for in the game. I am still confused about why Penny was even shown last week, since it doesn't seem like she'll be making an appearance,

My best is that the writers wanted to maintain continuity much like with the Bellboy from the second case, being that she was one of the people that was interviewed at the movie studio though I forget whether her questioning had any relevance to anything in the case.

whiskeyii wrote:

Also, Maya's adorkableness just skyrocketed in this case. I didn't really get that same impression in the games, so I like seeing this playful side of her. Anime hyper

Much like she did in the last episode Maya had another groan inducing moment for me
Where she casually singled out Phoenix for being a rookie defense attorney which is ironic
coming from someone whose practically a rookie spirit medium.

This show is kind of reminding why I was never too fond of Maya in the original games.
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 9:17 am Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:
I'm banking on Rise from the Ashes making it in; the Blue Badger has consistently been shown outside the police station twice now. I can't think of much reason to have such a weird looking thing there if it's not going to play into the story later on, unless it's just an easter egg.

I find it unlikely. Rise from the Ashes was the longest case in the game. Even with it's breakneck pacing, I don't think it can do Rise from the Ashes and Turnabout Goodbyes within the next 5 or 6 episodes. I'm pretty sure they'll slow down the pacing a bit for 5 episodes for Turnabout Goodbyes and make it a 12 episode anime. Maybe even 6 if they want to dedicate whole episodes to the investigation and trial parts.
gedata

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It's a tense setup for what appears to be the final arc of the anime, Turnabout Goodbye.

Hasn't this series pretty much been confirmed to be a full 24 episodes? If that's the case, it stands to reason that they'll do Justice for All as well.

So I've been thinking about how this series will likely turn out in terms of episodes. Here's my projection for the future:

spoiler[
8: Turnabout Goodbyes part 1
9: Turnabout Goodbyes part 2
10: Turnabout Goodbyes part 3
11: Rise from the Ashes part 1
12: Rise from the Ashes part 2
13: Rise from the Ashes part 3
14: Rise from the Ashes part 4
*skipping the The Lost Turnabout because it's just a tutorial case for Justice for All and the anime doesn't need something like that*
15: Reunion and Turnabout part 1
16: Reunion and Turnabout part 2
17 Reunion and Turnabout part 3
18: Turnabout Big Top part 1
19: Turnabout Big Top part 2
20: Turnabout Big Top part 3
21: Farewell my Turnabout part 1
22: Farewell my Turnabout part 2
23: Farewell my Turnabout part 3
24: Farewell my Turnabout part 4]

Last edited by gedata on Mon May 16, 2016 6:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 2:52 pm Reply with quote
"Your Honor, I feel compelled to call attention to the fact that you're a gullible idiot whose obvious favoritism for the prosecution has likely resulted in hundreds of wrongful convictions. Furthermore, the running commentary you provide throughout each case is both distracting and highly unprofessiona-- Wait, am I saying this out loud?"
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 3:48 pm Reply with quote
JaggedAuthor wrote:
"Your Honor, I feel compelled to call attention to the fact that you're a gullible idiot whose obvious favoritism for the prosecution has likely resulted in hundreds of wrongful convictions. Furthermore, the running commentary you provide throughout each case is both distracting and highly unprofessiona-- Wait, am I saying this out loud?"

I think that judge can be somewhat explained as a "product" of the overwhelming high number of convictions in-universe. And apparently being the only active judge in the system, his bias towards the persecution was almost inevitable.

No. One of the show's real villains in the police detective Itonokogiri. He will arrest the first non-officer person on the scene, arrest people for the flimsiest of reasons, automatically assumes that hearsay = proof = arrest = guilty, and is quite stubborn about changing his views that the person he arrested isn't the culprit. To make matters worst, he actively rose through the ranks, presumably while maintaining and enhancing this behaviour.

But so far he has been used more as a comic relief character, and less as an actual detective (Fingerprints? Photographed evidence? Thoroughly combing the scene? Searching for inconsistencies in witnesses' testimonies? Nah, it'll be fine, right?).
LuScr

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Hameyadea wrote:
JaggedAuthor wrote:

I think that judge can be somewhat explained as a "product" of the overwhelming high number of convictions in-universe. And apparently being the only active judge in the system, his bias towards the persecution was almost inevitable.

No. One of the show's real villains in the police detective Itonokogiri. He will arrest the first non-officer person on the scene, arrest people for the flimsiest of reasons, automatically assumes that hearsay = proof = arrest = guilty, and is quite stubborn about changing his views that the person he arrested isn't the culprit. To make matters worst, he actively rose through the ranks, presumably while maintaining and enhancing this behaviour.

But so far he has been used more as a comic relief character, and less as an actual detective (Fingerprints? Photographed evidence? Thoroughly combing the scene? Searching for inconsistencies in witnesses' testimonies? Nah, it'll be fine, right?).

Itonokogiri/Gumshoe's ineptitude is a running joke in the games; Mitsurugi/Edgeworth has cut his pay so many times it's amazing he hasn't starved to death yet.

The bias towards the prosecution isn't a coincidence, though. One of the major themes of the Ace Attorney games is just how broken and unfair the justice system is (which was based on real-life Japan's at the time). That will really come out in Turnabout Goodbyes, and especially Rise From the Ashes, if they animate it--spoiler[those two cases, taken together, completely broke Miles Edgeworth as a prosecutor. (And then, at the end of the second game, it's Wright's turn...)]
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Hameyadea wrote:

Despite his overzealousness and incompetence Gumshoe isn't a villain and tries to do right within his power as a police detective in a justice system that's fond of railroading people.
Valhern

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 8:27 pm Reply with quote
One hour of gameplay? That would be if you're on your first playthrough. I replayed this case recently and I can finish it all in one hour, one hour and a half, tops. Your first time with this case should certainly be slow, what with the buttload of evidence, places to visit, dialogues to read and reread, especially when this case requires you to present specific evidence all the time to get the info you need. Not only considering how particularly good the story gets and how hyped you're supposed to be. It's not a relatively easy case in the first run, but once you've played it, you can more or less do it without breaking a sweat.

In any case, I loved this episode, the best one in my honest opinion. Edgeworth's conversation with Phoenix Wright are just lovely in animated form, since the game only gives you as much as two or three poses, but here you can see a wide range of expressions that depict better his dialogue and feelings. Other particularly nice things are the presentation of von Karma, and showing Maya under a shower, she tells you she did this in the games, but you never walk into her doing it, and it's particularly much funnier that way.

As fast as this episode is, I don't think that any new watcher got lost. Edgeworth is accused of murdering the man that defended the man who possibly killed his father, and his mentor, the so-called god of prosecutor is handling the case. The anime also sums it up before revealing von Karma, since Maya reiterates that his mother was involved in the DL-6 case.

Probably the things that the watchers might have lost are side-information, such as Edgeworth, Phoenix and Larry being old friends, but this isn't the last time we'll see of this, and this was hinted on before, or the tie-in to the Turnabout Sisters, which isn't that important later on. Investigation-wise, I don't think Ace Attorney pretends you to discover "whodunit", it relies more heavily on the dramedy of the story rather than the mystery of the case, since as a long-time fan I can honestly say sometimes the way you resolve a case is through pure bullcrap (and this case has the best one) to drive the story forward.

All we saw of the investigation just now wasn't supposed to be all that important, it was supposed to show us the role of the characters, such as Gumshoe's deeper look-in, and Lotta Hart's introduction, we'll see about the case in the trial itself.
wutfeys

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 10:02 pm Reply with quote
From what I have seen, the people who say that the pacing is "rushed" in the sense that it took them at least twice as long as one part of a case are ones who are just slow in solving the game and are expecting to adapt the difficulty one experiences when stuck in a case, despite the fact that these very same people want to see the game adapted appropriately more in the medium. While I would understand that maybe parts of the case are really longer than the anime portrays it to be when you are new to the game, a replay of the game would make you understand that it really isn't as hard and long as you think it is. This is especially true for the first two or three cases of the game. The second game onwards, on the other hand, despite having played them at least twice, can still be really long and hard on each part of the case. This is because a lot of dialogue is involved from the cases of these games. The first 3 cases of the first game aren't as dialogue heavy as the others, thus there really isn't much to adapt to these cases (although I still think that they should have modified the first and second case which is really easy to make it more interesting). They did a decent job of adapting third case though, if not perfect.

Also, to those who are saying that the "thrill" of solving the mystery on your own is lost in the adaptation of the first two cases- I think this really isn't the criticism you are looking for for these anime adapted cases. For one these cases are there mainly to introduce you to the gameplay and not really to immerse you that much in the story (although they should have done the second case better in the storytelling department). So to tell that the "gameplay" element is lost in a medium that obviously removes it when that was the point of those cases in the first place is pointless. The better criticism would be these cases weren't adapted to fit the medium (the drama and emotion is messed up). Since we are in the fourth case of the game (which is the meat of not just the first game's story but also the whole trilogy), I think this where we should judge how the anime is adpated well. If you have watched the live-action movie, you will know what I am talking about. For a two-hour adaptation of the first game (with the third case skipped), at least an hour was dedicated to the fourth case while the first case was barely touched and the second case had considerable content cut (but its integrity still remains, spoiler[as a prelude to the fourth case]).

In the case of the infodump- I think the infodump was something needed rather than something unwanted. While it might not be the most effective of all devices, I think it did it job pretty decently since the viewer was bombarded with tons of questions already not just in this episode but also from the past 7 episodes. As for me, it felt satisfying and emotional. The feeling that almost everything that had happened is connected (not just the story but the characters) was evoked amazingly.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 12:58 am Reply with quote
Is it actually possible to be a trial attorney at 24 or are Naruhodo and Mitsurugi considered special cases?
cloud8100

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 3:28 am Reply with quote
Didn't think episode 8 was information overload really. 7 and 8 have been excellent; best ones so far.
Revolutionary

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 3:56 am Reply with quote
I actually really liked this last episode, although I've been pretty negative about most of the episodes. Perhaps it's a matter of the material. This 'chapter' really blows the others out of the water.
gedata

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 4:52 pm Reply with quote
JaggedAuthor wrote:
Is it actually possible to be a trial attorney at 24 or are Naruhodo and Mitsurugi considered special cases?

The Ace Attorney Series features defense attorneys and prosecutors later on that are even younger later on believe it or not.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 7:54 pm Reply with quote
JaggedAuthor wrote:

I honestly don't know how the real world works when it comes to the average age of Attorney's but in the world of Ace Attorney it's not an uncommon or rare thing to have such young trial attorney's. The fifth game actually introduces an academy that which helps churn out the next generation of Defense and Prosecuting Attorneys.

Also Edgeworth's been a prosecutor since he was 20 in comparison to Phoenix who was 24 when he worked his first case though Edgeworth kind of had a couple of chips on his shoulder.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8