• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Do Streaming Websites Still Use Flash?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:29 pm Reply with quote
The thing is, unless there's an editor that gives me similar GUI and drag-and-drop/WYSIWYG capabilities as the Flash editor can, I have no reason to switch to HTML5, especially if most of what I'm doing is offline.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:12 pm Reply with quote
It's not been updated since last year, but the Crunchyroll tech blog seems relevant to this discussion:
http://ellation-tech.blogspot.in/

Hoppy800 wrote:
HTML5 does not play nice with any of my PCs (it's badly optimized on PC on both Chrome and FF), but it does work well on my phone and Playstation Vita.

I don't know if you remember before Flash had hardware acceleration, but it was a nightmare. I had a Core 2 Solo which could just about play a Blu-ray with hardware acceleration if nothing else was running on the machine at the time, so hardware acceleration was a definite requirement for anything bar the lowest resolution on Crunchyroll. There was one Flash beta which played HD streams but with a grainy texture, another that would only go fullscreen on the primary monitor...

--edit--

tophg wrote:
Actually FunimationNow streaming currently on the new UK site is HTML5 not Flash. Seems to be Brightcove's. I guess the US site will move over to it soon too.

Just for confirmation:
https://picasaweb.google.com/103684072635496603058/ScreenCaptures#6278052471184610690
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Darkabomination

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Funny, because hardware acceleration seems to be the thing that's constantly breaking my Flash. With Firefox none of the other usual options for fixing crash problems ever help and I'm unable to turn off acceleration. Not being able to use streaming sites is frustrating.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4