• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Interviews with Monster Girls

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Valhern

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:27 pm Reply with quote
While the visuals took a slight nosedive compared to the previous three episodes, I'm glad the direction is still strong enough to carry the whole thing. I'm also really happy that when talking about Hikari they animated her striking her trademark pose from the manga volumes, I loved that.

The review mostly addressed what I also liked from this episode and its chapters, so nothing particular to add except that Saitou looks and sounds so goddamn cute.
Roxas4ever

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Hikari's rant hit close to home. When I was a shift supervisor, I had to spend almost every day stopping employees from gossiping, even though I knew that the moment I walked away they would start again.

I'm enjoying this show, but I'm a little wary of the teacher/student romances being teased. Although I don't expect them to go anywhere, the little moments (spoiler[such as Tetsuo feeling Machi's breasts when he hugs her]) are uncomfortable and unnecessary.

On the flip side of that, I do hope the series explores a relationship between Tetsuo and Sakie.
steelmirror

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:40 pm Reply with quote
This was a sweet one. The fact that Hikari's sister is a bit suspicious of sensei is enough of a lampshade to convince me to give the show a pass on the teased student/teacher romance. Just admitting that some people might see an issue there is apparently enough for me to climb back on board the hype train. I hope they keep striking that balance for the rest of the season.

Hikari was a hero, her sister is an actual character as well (maybe) which I appreciate, as it would be very easy to leave her to the side and only spend any time with the titular Demis, who are going to be more inherently appealing and moe with the show's audience. The resolution to the gossipping theme was simplistic but also relatively earnest, heartfelt, and balanced in a way that didn't really demonize the girls doing the gossipping.

You're doing all right, Interviews, you've kept my interest.
meiam

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Phewwww, left the awkward harem territory although the hugging scene was too long for seemingly no other reason than fan service. The rest of it was good, I do hope eventually they'll stop treating being a demi has an handicap and start considering the fact that they can do amazing things, essentially telling them they can live like normal people is just severely limiting them.

The gossip resolution was all lopsided trough. Like the girl say, everyone gossip and it's something everyone will have to deal with, you cannot stop people from gossiping, nor should you. Gossiping is just people sharing information about other people they encounter on a daily basis, it lets them be better prepared for dealing with others. The proper resolution is to accept that not everyone will like you and sometime they will dislike you for stuff that are outside your control and they will tell other people. Oh and, telling everything to people faces when you have a problem with them is just an awful idea, it's cute in principle but will just land you in heap of trouble, pick your fight, if it's someone who your just going to interact with for a shorter period of time (i.e. school) probably better to just let it slide and bide your time.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:20 am Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Oh and, telling everything to people faces when you have a problem with them is just an awful idea, it's cute in principle but will just land you in heap of trouble, pick your fight

That's exactly what she said she would do. oO She just added that when she wasn't saying what she thought to their faces, she'd keep it to herself and not say it behind their backs.
Luke's Yu-Gi-Oh! Channel

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:42 am Reply with quote
I knew it would be a good episode with a lot of emotions and feelings involved.

Free hugs for everyone.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:50 am Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
The gossip resolution was all lopsided trough. Like the girl say, everyone gossip and it's something everyone will have to deal with, you cannot stop people from gossiping, nor should you. Gossiping is just people sharing information about other people they encounter on a daily basis, it lets them be better prepared for dealing with others. The proper resolution is to accept that not everyone will like you and sometime they will dislike you for stuff that are outside your control and they will tell other people.

This statement actually makes me angry. Gossip is disgusting, and not in the people just conveying some information way, it is how the conversations go to leaps of logic on the part of the gossipers that is downright mean. I am a pretty social introvert person, I tend to avoid people quite a lot and stay out of their business, but a time I was on a train where I heard two middle aged women gossiping made me want to stand up and scream at them.

From my experience gossiping is almost always accusatory of the person being talked about, there is almost no rationalising that maybe that person has reasons and they should be understanding. Instead it just a couple to few people trying bitch and make themselves feel superior. Gossip news is just one example further, where certain types of new sources try to pretty much come up rumours of celebrities and the like, the fact "everyone one does it" really only makes it grosser.

I equate it a bit to bullying, and people say that it is character building and all that crap, but the people who say that either don't understand or are ignoring the painful effects. And... the effect of feeling people are talking behind your back in a way that makes you feel less than human can hurt a lot, it can have long lasting damage that you don't just get over or make you stronger. You can start to hate yourself.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:25 pm Reply with quote
I gave in and read the manga, I couldn't wait anymore, no regrets.

I seriously doubt it will happen but I hope succubus sensei ends up finding love, although this doesn't seem to be that kind of series. All she wants is a hug...possibly followed by more ecchi stuff heh
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Each episode just gives me new reasons to like Hikari. I definitely agree that there were indicators that, for all her extroverted personality, she's been through something before, so hopefully a future episode will delve back into that.

And I found it amusingly ironic how Sakie was so self-conscious about what effect her succubus nature might have on others that she seems completely oblivious to how just being a sexy woman might have an impact on Tetsuo.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Northlander

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:16 am Reply with quote
I like all the characters in the show, but yes, Hikari's mischievous personallity is definitely going to be the source of most of the fun moments it has to offer.

I wonder how they're going to handle Sakie, though. Before episode 3, I thought she was just being too self conscious and cautious about nothing, but said episode then proceeded to show me her terrifying latent abilities, ones which she doesn't even have any control over and can't keep from working their magic on people nearby (so to speak.) She has to keep this ungodly scedule just so she can socialize with people to some exfent, and even then she has to be on her guard all the time. One thing I really like about Interviews with Monster Girls is that the problems said girls faces don't just solve themselves, but that means Sakie really has her work cut out for her.

On that note: I, too, picked up the two first volumes of the manga, and noticed a difference in that in the anime, her powers only worked on men, but in the anime, they also affected women -- well, at least the one where she'd influence people if she fell asleep. When I watched the anime, I always thought it would be good for her to find some kind of female dormitory, but since the manga showed me how her powers influenced everyone, I guess that means that's not an option either.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:43 am Reply with quote
I didn't have a chance to watch the episode yet, I probably will just to be fully informed before commenting more. HOWEVER, after hearing about this "hug" my curiosity lead me to google what that was about, and I happened across a "Let's Read" video covering the same content in manga form..I don't think it has any information beyond what people have just seen since the guy just goes over the manga version of the episode, but given the whole open question about how kosher this teacher's actions are, I think it is relevant to discuss... so how many hugs are there in the episode? (There seemed to be at least three in what I could see the guy showing in his "let's read.") And, if the reaction of the guy to the breast "smoosh" is any indication of the author's intention... well perhaps it's self explanatory. (The guy's exact reaction as he reads it is to enthusiastically say "Right in front of her D CUP, SMOOSH, BAM!!!!!" then we see a picture of the aftermath of her well-endowed chest being "smooshed"). Then the teacher apparently gets "stiff" and rushes off to the bathroom? Please tell me that didn't happen ;0

Last edited by ChibiKangaroo on Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:29 am Reply with quote
There was no getting stiff and running off to the washroom. The entire incident had pretty much the same level of innocence as the other hugs, pecks on the check, etc, that the show has had so far, but as I said in the series discussion forum, I would be very happy if we could get through an episode without the teacher hugging, getting hugged, getting kissed or going out on a "date" with one of the students. He, of course, is free to bone Sakie the Adult Succubus for as long as his heart can stand it.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:59 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
There was no getting stiff and running off to the washroom. The entire incident had pretty much the same level of innocence as the other hugs, pecks on the check, etc, that the show has had so far, but as I said in the series discussion forum, I would be very happy if we could get through an episode without the teacher hugging, getting hugged, getting kissed or going out on a "date" with one of the students. He, of course, is free to bone Sakie the Adult Succubus for as long as his heart can stand it.

Well at least the anime decided not to include that "rush off to the bathroom" part. I feel like... we can all fairly assume what was implied to be happening in there ;0 I am just going to be continually intrigued though by how close this show dances on this line. As I've said before, I am generally kind of annoyed by that kind of manipulation in the writing, though this show isn't exactly the worst offender in that regard.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:22 am Reply with quote
Right now, the level of squickiness is most inconvenient. In other words, there is enough there to irritate viewers like myself yet not enough to truly satisfy the yah-yahs of those who like it. I'm sure neither camp is happy with it.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:43 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Right now, the level of squickiness is most inconvenient. In other words, there is enough there to irritate viewers like myself yet not enough to truly satisfy the yah-yahs of those who like it. I'm sure neither camp is happy with it.

I do agree with that. There does seem to be a level of "let's play both sides at once" going on, which I think is where I get my "manipulative" commentary from. I recognize that perhaps there is a whole group of viewers who prefers that type of narrative style, but I feel like it is contrived mixed messaging - in other words, it is not part of some kind of complex or deep storytelling, it is instead a very fake balancing act. Of course, there do seem to be some other merits to where the show does attempt to take its story more seriously, so I'll give it that. But I doubt I will be able to get past that "fake' aspect.

Also, I forgot ONE thing about that video I saw that just made me shake my head. At one point the guy doing the "let's read" says something along the lines of, "I hope they don't introduce any monster boys into this thing. That would be just wrong." I was like, pal, you really have very particular standards don't ya.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 12