• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: My Hero Academia Anime Gets 3rd Season

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crunky

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Pierrot. wrote:
Crunky wrote:
I'm not sure why this series get so many people salty over people enjoying it and it doing well that they have to nitpick its success saying "its not doing well enough" by some imaginary criteria. And this is ironic coming from the same person banking on Boruto's success which has not been doing good at all as of late. I'm just waiting for you to backpedal yet again.

Huh? Why would I be salty? I don't really care if people enjoy it nor did I even wanted to post here until Thorfinn specifically tried to call me out.

Because you said something incredibly stupid and it came back to bite you.

Quote:
I don't really get why you're bringing Boruto's success here but I'll humor you. Boruto like it's prequel relies on merchandise sales, video games, online streaming and licensing rights.

I love how you're quick to go into ratings to MHA yet ignore it to Boruto, didn't even get a boost in manga sales either.

Quote:
The franchise announced a new video game a few months ago and since licensing fees are on a rise, it's not surprising in the least why the franchise is still continuing.

Yeah because people like the Naruto brand it has nothing to do with Boruto specifically.
Quote:
China streaming

The revenue for China streaming is not as lucrative as you're exaggerating. Twin Star Exorcist still did not do well regardless how much you try to push its China streaming numbers.

Quote:
It ranked in the top ten 9 times. You didn't even get that right and yes the threshold was high.

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2015-05-14/japan-animation-tv-ranking-may-4-10/.88166
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2015-05-22/japan-animation-tv-ranking-may-11-17/.88474
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2015-06-08/japan-animation-tv-ranking-may-25-31/.89047
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2015-06-25/japan-animation-tv-ranking-june-8-14/.89495
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2015-06-27/japan-animation-tv-ranking-june-15-21/.89718
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2015-07-09/japan-animation-tv-ranking-june-29-july-5/.90270
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2015-07-16/japan-animation-tv-ranking-july-6-12/.90542
3.9 (and this is where it started bringing Conan's ratings down)
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2015-07-23/japan-animation-tv-ranking-july-13-19/.90824
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2015-08-06/japan-animation-tv-ranking-july-27-august-2/.91383
So as you can see the thresholds were no different from the the ones we have now
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2015-08-13/japan-animation-tv-ranking-august-3-9/.91639
And this was the last time UOT ranked in the top 10 until it ended in September. So no high threshold it just didn't do well at all

Quote:

MHA season 1 was only 1 cour so no shit it'll have a better average or on par with 2 cour or longer shows.

Except Gundam 00, Nanatsu no Taizai, Yamato 2199, both seasons of Magi, Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood, Arslan Senki,Blue Exorcist , Hakyuu, Code Geass R2 and Gundam AGE all had higher averages than it.

Quote:
A fair comparison would be taking the average of the first 13 episodes of those shows. IBO for example would have a 2.55 average which is higher than MHA's.

Nice try but that is not only the wrong way to go about averages because you're only counting for half the show's run which is incomplete information.

Quote:

Huh? I used the 2014 and 2015 data because that's the only ones I could find for Bones and used the same yearly data to make the comparison's fair. In fact they're not even that old and I already know Tatsunoko became part of IG by the way so no need to sound so smug.

They're not relevant because they're 3 years old and negates the fact that studios such as TMS which has been operating for years and A-1 who is just a subsidiary of Aniplex no different from Sunrise and the fact that Tatsunoko was bought by I.G. which saved them from going under.

Quote:
Completely irrelevant when your net income is in the negative.

Its not irrelevant because its shows that they're making revenue. BONES has been in the red for years which has little to do with their shows not selling and them suffering a loss (the failure of Captain Earth and Space Dandy didn't even effect them) but back taxes accumulated through the years when the studio form and they're not the only studio effected by this.
Pierrot.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:38 pm Reply with quote
Crunky wrote:

Nothing bit me back and I even agreed it will get a sequel months ago. No need to sound like a jackass mate.

Quote:
I love how you're quick to go into ratings to MHA yet ignore it to Boruto, didn't even get a boost in manga sales either.

Because Boruto and Naruto stopped relying on TV ratings ages ago. I'll ignore it for MHA too when it becomes a mega franchise.

Quote:
Yeah because people like the Naruto brand it has nothing to do with Boruto specifically.

Hilarious considering Boruto's movie is one of the most successful in the franchise in terms of both box office performance and BD/DVD sales.
Quote:
The revenue for China streaming is not as lucrative as you're exaggerating. Twin Star Exorcist still did not do well regardless how much you try to push its China streaming numbers.

How many times do I have to prove you wrong?

Anime Industry report 2014

"According to the report, the total market value of the anime industry in 2014 was 1.63 trillion yen (about US$13.5 billion), up about 10% from 2013's 1.49 trillion yen (about US$12.4 billion).

The AJA attributes part of this success to merchandise and the sale of streaming rights in China. "

Anime Industry Report 2015

"Last year, the AJA attributed part of the industry's success to the sale of streaming rights in China, and in 2013 the report noted an increase in anime-related events and exhibits. This year, the AJA reported a 78.7% rise in the sale of streaming rights in China and a 68.2% growth in the live events field"

Can't wait to see you backpedal now.
Quote:
And this was the last time UOT ranked in the top 10 until it ended in September. So no high threshold it just didn't do well at all

Still not showing me the ratings for the unranked episodes of UOT. I won't be able to respond or believe what you say until you first show me the numbers.
Quote:
Except Gundam 00, Nanatsu no Taizai, Yamato 2199, both seasons of Magi, Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood, Arslan Senki,Blue Exorcist , Hakyuu, Code Geass R2 and Gundam AGE all had higher averages than it.

And what's your point? Did I ever claim they didn't? I was only talking about MHA.

Quote:
Nice try but that is not only the wrong way to go about averages because you're only counting for half the show's run which is incomplete information.

So are you seriously implying Sengoku Basara was more successful than IBO?

Quote:
They're not relevant because they're 3 years old

"They're no relevant because I said so!!!"

You're gonna have to do better than that.

Quote:
and negates the fact that studios such as TMS which has been operating for years and A-1 who is just a subsidiary of Aniplex no different from Sunrise and the fact that Tatsunoko was bought by I.G. which saved them from going under.

I like how you conveniently ignored the data for Kyoani one. I also like how you're intentionally ignore the part where I asked you to provide some evidence when you claimed all the studios besides Sunrise and Toei are in the red. If you're going to ignore and not provide any evidence then don't bother responding because I sure won't waste my time here arguing with someone so thick.

Quote:
Its not irrelevant because its shows that they're making revenue.

So did Madhouse in 2008, 2009 and 2010. I'm sure you already know what happened in the next year.

Madhouse
Source: http://ke.kabupro.jp/tsp/20110208/140120110208030989.pdf

Capital -> 1,420,000,000 Yen

Year -> 2010(end July 31)
Sales:
2008 -> 4,469,000,000 Yen
2009 -> 5,249,000,000 Yen
2010 -> 3,605,000,000 Yen
Operating Income:
2008 -> *,*93,000,000 Yen
2009 -> *,121,000,000 Yen
2010 -> *,*88,000,000 Yen
Ordinary Income:
2008 -> *,221,000,000 Yen
2009 -> *,143,000,000 Yen
2010 -> *,**2,000,000 Yen
Net Income:
2008 -> +*,*69,000,000 Yen
2009 -> -1,170,000,000 Yen
2010 -> -2,083,000,000 Yen
Total Assets -> 2,900,000,000 Yen

Quote:
BONES has been in the red for years which has little to do with their shows not selling and them suffering a loss (the failure of Captain Earth and Space Dandy didn't even effect them) but back taxes accumulated through the years when the studio form and they're not the only studio effected by this.

I'll respond once you give source to all of this. I don't give a damn about your anecdotal bullshit.
Crunky

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Pierrot. wrote:
Crunky wrote:

Nothing bit me back and I even agreed it will get a sequel months ago. No need to sound like a jackass mate.

Trust me you've already taken credit for that. And good job once again ignoring your entire comment to make yourself feel less stupid.

Quote:

Because Boruto and Naruto stopped relying on TV ratings ages ago. I'll ignore it for MHA too when it becomes a mega franchise.

Good job pulling this out your butt

Quote:

Hilarious considering Boruto's movie is one of the most successful in the franchise in terms of both box office performance and BD/DVD sales.

Could be the fact that it was the last canon story in the franchise featuring the cast as older and wiser adults. Nah people just watched it to see his bratty son I mean look how well the anime is currently doing.
Quote:

How many times do I have to prove you wrong?

How many times do you have to make yourself look dumb? That shows how much revenue its making IN CHINA not how much revenue its returning in Japan worse yet it only accounts to one website not Chinese streaming as a whole so you're just quoting information you can't even understand.

Quote:
Still not showing me the ratings for the unranked episodes of UOT. I won't be able to respond or believe what you say until you first show me the numbers.

Well continue to wait because I just proved you wrong yet again about the thresholds being high so you don't really have a leg to stand on anymore but thank you so much for proving that you actually didn't know what UOT average ratings percentile was and instead was just going off in complete information. Much like you quoting a source on Chinese streaming you're once again making a false claim you have no idea what you're talking about
Quote:

And what's your point? Did I ever claim they didn't? I was only talking about MHA.

You're wrong. Stop making claims and then act like a fool whenever someone points it out.

>Did MHA do badly on Nichigo
No it didn't
>Was its ratings the reason why the block ended
No it wasn't

There. Simple. You don't have to constantly make excuses in order to move goal posts

Quote:

Quote:
So are you seriously implying Sengoku Basara was more successful than IBO?

12,952 Sengoku Basara 2
9,932 Kidou Senshi Gundam Tekketsu no Orphans

Not only did Sengoku Basara 2 get better ratings it actually sold more as well so yeah I could easily say it was more successful. You're not making this fun anymore. Seriously would it kill you to research your claims instead of spouting garbage all the time like you always do?

Quote:

"They're no relevant because I said so!!!"

You're right! Its relevant because YOU say so even though it data is virtually worthless to use under any relevance and is missing key information...but BONES is going under any day now! This information from 2014 says so!

Quote:
I like how you conveniently ignored the data for Kyoani one. I also like how you're intentionally ignore the part where I asked you to provide some evidence when you claimed all the studios besides Sunrise and Toei are in the red. If you're going to ignore and not provide any evidence then don't bother responding because I sure won't waste my time here arguing with someone so thick.

I'm not sure a guy who's using dated information as an argument should be saying this. Even in the information you provided all those studios have low profit margins but if you actually read the stuff you post you would have realized it by now.

Quote:
stuff

Not only are those profit margins much lower it was public knowledge that Madhouse wasn't doing well before NTV bought them out and last time I checked BONE's "financial troubles" isn't making headlines in the same way and hasn't prevented them from making projects like it did Madhouse. So yeah unless you can give me "relevant" information that applies to "now" and aren't just ripping articles from Japanese wikipedia I suggest you stop posting.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Pierrot. wrote:
relyat08 wrote:
Bones is in their prime right now. They have a major shonen franchise now, in addition to producing some of the biggest shows of the decade(BBB, Mob Psycho, Show by Rock, Space Dandy, etc)

No offense mate but none of them are the biggest shows of the decade. Maybe BBB, but the biggest show of the decade would be something like Madoka, AoT, Love Live, SAO, Kemono Friend, Yuri on Ice or Osomatsu-san.

"some". I reserve the right to determine how broad that goes, and clearly my definition is more broad than yours. All of those shows were very successful world-wide. With the exception of maybe Show By Rock, which is surely much more popular in Japan.

Quote:

I disagree with your statement here. A studio with a good success ratio would never have a negative net income.

A studio with a good success ratio could totally have a negative net income. Especially if the few flops they have happen to be originals that they had a significant stake in, while their greatest successes were adaptations that they didn't have much financial stake in. You know, like Bones..
Pierrot.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:16 am Reply with quote
Crunky wrote:
Trust me you've already taken credit for that. And good job once again ignoring your entire comment to make yourself feel less stupid.

No I don't trust you at all. I wasn't the one calling people out here nor was I the one who started to act like an ass like you are.
Quote:
Good job pulling this out your butt

Literally what you've been doing so far.

Quote:
Could be the fact that it was the last canon story in the franchise featuring the cast as older and wiser adults.

The movie didn't even focus on the older cast and it had better reviews then the previous canon movie featuring the main cast.
Quote:
Nah people just watched it to see his bratty son I mean look how well the anime is currently doing.

Yeah look at how it's consistently ranking so high. Definitely not watching it to see the bratty kid /s

Hulu Japan ranking.
Source: https://mainichi.jp/articles/20170518/dyo/00m/200/019000c
Top 10 in April:
1. Gintama
2. The Laughing Salesman New
3. Detective Conan
4. BORUTO
5. HUNTER × HUNTER
6. Anpanman
7. Mobile Suit Gundam Thunderbolt
8. Attack on Titan
9. Yokai Watch
10.Pokemon Sun & Moon

Hulu Japan ranking.
Source:https://mainichi.jp/articles/20170608/dyo/00m/200/018000c
Top 10 in May:
1. Detective Conan
2. Boruto
3. The Laughing Salesman New
4. The Laughing Salesman
5. Gintama
6. Anpanman
7. HUNTER X HUNTER
8. Kingdom
9. Eromanga Sensei
10.Berserk

Hulu Japan ranking.
Source:https://mainichi.jp/articles/20170713/dyo/00m/200/016000c
Top 10 in June:
1. Boruto
2. Gintama
3. Detective Conan
4. Rurouni Kenshin: Meiji Kenkaku Romantan
5. Anpanman
6. My Hero Academia
7. Eromanga Sensei
8. Akashic Records of Bastard Magic Instructor
9. Kingdom
10. The Laughing Salesman

Hulu Japan ranking.
Source:https://mainichi.jp/articles/20170813/dyo/00m/200/004000c
Top 10 in July:
1. Attack on Titan
2. Gintama
3. Boruto
4. Detective Conan
5. My Hero Academia
6. Anpanman
7. JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
8. Tokyo Ghoul
9. Naruto
10.Clean Freak! Aoyama kun

Hulu Japan ranking.
Source:https://mainichi.jp/articles/20170913/dyo/00m/200/017000c
Top 10 in August:
1. JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
2. Detective Conan
3. Boruto
4. Naruto Shippuden
5. My Hero Academia
6. Gintama
7. Anpanman
8. Tokyo Ghoul
9. Attack on Titan
10.Naruto

Quote:
How many times do you have to make yourself look dumb? That shows how much revenue its making IN CHINA not how much revenue its returning in Japan worse yet it only accounts to one website not Chinese streaming as a whole so you're just quoting information you can't even understand.

Wow you're so thick. That revenues isn't for China smartass because there's already a different one for China.

"The Nikkei Asian Review reports the Chinese animation market is projected to reach 150 billion yuan (US$21.7 billion) this year, a figure three times its size in 2010 and also larger than the Japanese market. According to 2015 data from the Association of Japanese Animations, Chinese buyers account for more than half of the year-over-year increase in industry revenue generated from overseas anime license sales."

"An executive with a Beijing affiliate of Dentsu, Japan's largest advertising agency and a major anime investor, explains in a recent report by The Wall Street Journal that the crackdown on piracy has shifted the landscape of China's anime market in a positive direction. Government enforcement of copyright laws has resulted in producers and licensors seeing increased animation sales.

Reduction in piracy has made anime licenses more attractive to local buyers such as streaming sites Youku Tudou, Tencent Video, and Bilibili.
The industry also benefits from the fact that streamed animation is not subject to the same quotas and content reviews put in place for foreign live-action films and television shows. At the same time, however, industry insiders warn this boom could end if Chinese media regulators decide to change their stance.

License costs are also on the rise with increasing competition among video streaming sites. For example, The Wall Street Journal estimates that one episode of Gintama sells for approximately US$100,000. This is why Tencent and other media publishers are beginning to invest as joint stakeholders in Japanese productions in order to avoid bidding wars. At the same time, Tencent can also develop its own webcomic properties with Japanese talent not only for the enjoyment of Chinese audiences, but also for others
."

https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1615907

Next time read the damn article before you talk out of your ass.

Quote:
Well continue to wait because I just proved you wrong yet again..

Yeah I knew you were just a troll trying to waste my time.

Quote:

Quote:
12,952 Sengoku Basara 2
9,932 Kidou Senshi Gundam Tekketsu no Orphans

Not only did Sengoku Basara 2 get better ratings it actually sold more as well so yeah I could easily say it was more successful. You're not making this fun anymore. Seriously would it kill you to research your claims instead of spouting garbage all the time like you always do?

If you're using the BDs to gauge its success then why not use the data for toys sales too. Gundam makes most of it's sales from the models kits so don't even try to act it's not relevant.

Quote:
You're right! Its relevant because YOU say so even though it data is virtually worthless to use under any relevance and is missing key information..

"The data is worthless because it doesn't fit my narrative!!"
Quote:
but BONES is going under any day now! This information from 2014 says so!
[/quote]
Lmao. Now you're putting words in my mouth? Go on. It's not like you've made a fool out of yourself enough.

Quote:
I'm not sure a guy who's using dated information as an argument should be saying this.

Then why aren't you sharing the new data? Is it really that hard to link some data or do you prefer talking out of your ass all the time?

Quote:
Even in the information you provided all those studios have low profit margins but if you actually read the stuff you post you would have realized it by now.

>140 million yen is net income is low

Yeah this is how I know you're shitposting.

Quote:
Not only are those profit margins much lower it was public knowledge that Madhouse wasn't doing well before NTV bought them out and last time I checked BONE's "financial troubles" isn't making headlines in the same way and hasn't prevented them from making projects like it did Madhouse.

I think it's time you stopped putting words in my mouth because I never said Bones is in financial trouble or was. The only thing I said was that they didn't have a good success ratio just a few years ago. Here's the link to the said post.

animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=4960447#4960447

The reason why I gave the Madhouse example in the first place is because you ignored the Net Income and pretended the revenue is the only thing that mattered. I'm starting to think you don't even know what it means.
Quote:
So yeah unless you can give me "relevant" information that applies to "now" and aren't just ripping articles from Japanese wikipedia I suggest you stop posting.

Woah there buddy. The burden of proof is on you. Not me. I was the one who asked you to show me the information that applies to now since you called mine old and irrelevant. If you can't then sorry but the information I linked still apply.
Crunky

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:08 am Reply with quote
Pierrot. wrote:

No I don't trust you at all. I wasn't the one calling people out here nor was I the one who started to act like an ass like you are.

And you're a history revisionist too.
Quote:

Literally what you've been doing so far.

Nah I can actually face reality and not using something as vague as "stream numbers" to judge the success of a show.

Quote:
The movie didn't even focus on the older cast and it had better reviews then the previous canon movie featuring the main cast.

What? The entire plot of the movie was centered on the relationship between Naruto and Boruto was baited solely on seeing the cast deal with being parents hence why all the adverts was centered on Naruto and Sasuke as adults. You're really deluded if you thought that people went to see that movie for anything else.

Quote:
streams

Yeah its really pathetic how you can't accept reality yet you're highly critical of how MHA does rating rise

Quote:
I didn't read the article

Once again does not show the amount made in China through streams and only covers one site. You really do not reading what you post.

Quote:

Yeah I knew you were just a troll trying to waste my time.

You only quoted one episode ratings while ignoring the average as evidence and yet you call me the troll?

Quote:

If you're using the BDs to gauge its success then why not use the data for toys sales too. Gundam makes most of it's sales from the models kits so don't even try to act it's not relevant.

I don't think you could backpedal harder if you tried. But this is what people tend to do with egg on their faces

Quote:

"The data is worthless because it doesn't fit my narrative!!"

Nah its worthless in general. Now tell me how information from 3 years ago is irrelevant today?

[quote]
Then why aren't you sharing the new data? Is it really that hard to link some data or do you prefer talking out of your ass all the time?[.quote]
Wait so you admit that information is worthless?

Quote:

Yeah this is how I know you're shitposting.

>14 million profit is high
>But a 10 million profit is low
I'm not sure if I sure take you seriously

Quote:

The reason why I gave the Madhouse example in the first place is because you ignored the Net Income and pretended the revenue is the only thing that mattered. I'm starting to think you don't even know what it means.

So you used a studio with a lower profit margin and that publicly admitted that they were having finance issues as evidence for a studio that had neither? You're a smart one
Quote:

Woah there buddy. The burden of proof is on you. Not me. I was the one who asked you to show me the information that applies to now since you called mine old and irrelevant. If you can't then sorry but the information I linked still apply.

What burden of proof? You're the one using old information and pushing it as if its relevant, anyone can see that its not the year 2014 so using that as a financial report for your argument is a pretty dumb thing to do boss.
Galap

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:38 am Reply with quote
Ok, Crunky, stop being an ass. In fact, let's just call an end to this whole argument that's creating all these extremely long but sparse-in-content posts.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4