• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Yuri!!! on ICE BD+DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:01 pm Reply with quote
I've been curious about this anime ever since I first heard this on Deviantart and I might give it a chance, but one question I'd like to ask is, should I watch it on Crunchyroll or just get it on DVD (I have no Blu- Ray player Sad)?
Crisha

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Well, there's always the chance that it might not be your thing, so I'd recommend the cheaper option to watch it on Crunchyroll. The anime suffers some off-scale wonky art, limited animation, and obvious shortcuts in the middle episodes, but if you've watched anime for a while then that shouldn't come as a surprise for broadcast shows. They've made lots of improvements in the physical release, but if you aren't someone that necessarily demands the highest quality all the time, the broadcast version is perfectly fine. The first episode is has gorgeous animation either way.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for letting me know (I'm used to seeing stuff like that). I'll watch it as soon as I can.
Songster01

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:52 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:

Quote:
The rings that people like to act like aren't a big deal? Publishers and magazines have forced MAPPA artists to remove them from official art. This has happened on multiple verified occasions, and has happened via multiple publishers.

For concrete examples, the artist that drew the poster that was included in the Yuri on Life guidebook received a lot of backlash about not including the rings, and she replied that the publisher had forced her to remove it. Later on, in response to the backlash, the ring was added back on.
Furthermore, there is a production sketch sheet that shows the rings actually have an engraving on the inside with the shape of a snowflake. This has only been shown in a few cons, and the staff thought it was going to be included in the YOI Production artbook, and expressed their surprise when they learned that it was not included. Many publishers have done their utmost to cover or censor the rings, which seems a bit much for something that, according to detractors "isn't proof of gay"

I recall that controversy and the reason I bought that fanbook (vs. the other that came out at almost the same time) and its accompanying merch was the reinstatement of the rings. I've also tried to vote with my $$ by buying official merch with the rings and find myself getting frustrated that they aren't present nearly as often as I would like (no matter what my wallet says). For example, the cover of last year's terrific calendar (the art of which has just been released also as a clear files series) also featured the rings and that was one of the reasons I bought it as well. If those designs are not your cuppa, they also just released an older Duetto image as a small set of merch. I hope we get more Duetto merch: FIGURES WOULD BE LOVELY MAPPA.

If those snowflakes make an appearance in the movie, someone may need to call 911.
Saturn

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:45 pm Reply with quote
kazenoyume wrote:
You don't have to like it, but please respect what it fought hard to do.

I don't have anything to add but I wanted to thank you for this post! Well said.
Dragonsandphoenix

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
History is made when self-love grows strong enough to reach out and inspire the same personal victory in others.

This so perfectly describes what is appealing about Victor and Yuuri's relationship to me. They are such relationship goals honestly.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4