• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Is Ecchi Anime As Controversial In Japan As In America?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
miken

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:13 am Reply with quote
melton80 wrote:
Most anime watchers i know dont hate Ecchi cause of jiggly boobs, they have a problem when those boobs are on UNDER AGED girls, is there an Ecchi out there that doesnt include middle school/high school girls (basically kids) tits bouncing around and being sexualized?

yeah, that can be troubling in many series. even very young teens tend be get highly sexualized looks and scenes.
plus it's just frickin tiresome in general. the same dull "whoops! i grabbed her boobs"-scene and similar stuff in every goddamn series over and over just makes me cringe.
configspace

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:03 am Reply with quote
miken wrote:
melton80 wrote:
Most anime watchers i know dont hate Ecchi cause of jiggly boobs, they have a problem when those boobs are on UNDER AGED girls, is there an Ecchi out there that doesnt include middle school/high school girls (basically kids) tits bouncing around and being sexualized?

yeah, that can be troubling in many series. even very young teens tend be get highly sexualized looks and scenes.
plus it's just frickin tiresome in general. the same dull "whoops! i grabbed her boobs"-scene and similar stuff in every goddamn series over and over just makes me cringe.

They are not kids. They are by nature's law, young adults. How does a kid magically and instantly turn into an adult on their 18th birthday? How do you react to someone who's 18 yet a senior in high school? Are they still a kid? Ironically, modern Japanese law does not recognize them as adults until they are actually 20 (which is why they can't vote, drink or smoke, and have no contractual rights) So you are going to say that half of college aged people are still kids, since you are using that metric? What about age of consent which is less than 18, and varies from time and place? Who's standards are you going to use? If they are kids how can they be treated as adults when it comes to crime?

Why complain specifically and only about girls, who ironically reach puberty earlier, and never guys? So despite being guilty under the same logic, I guess Free's male "kids", other males in otome titles, and all the fujoshi Kuroko's basketball doujinshi and near naked male merchandise never triggered the same people, huh?

I also assert hat the same complaint is waged regardless of age. This is especially evident in games. Look at the game Dragon's Crown, adult Sorceress and female Barbarian, stirred up lots of controversy among the mainstream press because of female bodies. And it always, without fail, no matter the age, receives the same complaints (see Street Fighter V, which underwent some mild censoring in Season 1, DOA5, Skullgirls, etc), the MMOs and other games from Japan, Korea and China that censor localized versions
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:26 am Reply with quote
miken wrote:
melton80 wrote:

The problem is that insult is a rather subjective question and largely depends on the difference of cultures or personal views. No, I do not want to say that the sexualization of children or the erotic portrayal of harassment is good, I just remember the cases when people called the bisexual tendencies of Persona 5's Futaba as "offensive fanservice", or complained that Horikoshi "sexualizing schoolgirls", while they themselves with pleasure sharing BakuDeku erotic fanart.

Up to the point that in my country even attractive male characters in the works for the male audience is considered to be "fujoushi's fanservice". Therefore, more recently, I have become more cautious about this topic.
Scalfin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:46 am Reply with quote
miken wrote:
melton80 wrote:

Of course, a large part of that is that the target market for most anime is horny teenagers, so the underage tits are peer tits.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:15 am Reply with quote
The problem for decades has always been the intended audience for anime. Which is the teenage and young adult Japanese males. Considering that specific age demographic, it shouldn't be a wonder why the age and appearances in anime are skewed to the youthful and why they are almost always sexualized in some form or another. When I was a young adult I preferred adults in my anime also, but mainly for the reason of realism. When you use teenagers and children in anime as the main characters you constantly run into problems of the lack of parents, lack of adult interaction, and the lack of adult (police) interaction, which all lead to a suspension of disbelief.

As a foreign anime fan you have to come to an acceptance that you are not the intended audience. It's like poor children going to the better off neighbor's house who has a TV, and watching the shows through the their window. You have no control over what is shown, but it is still better than not watching at all.

The criticism of anime is valid, but it is essentially irrelevant as we are not the intended audience. Sure some things are changing for the better, and there is something for everyone nowadays. But the issue today is how western fandom is basically eating its own. Over the last several years criticism has turned into social commentary. A constant drumbeat of negativity that gets tiring to hear.

So now we are throwing sticks and stones at the neighbor's children cause they are watching stuff we don't like.
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:40 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
The criticism of anime is valid, but it is essentially irrelevant as we are not the intended audience. Sure some things are changing for the better, and there is something for everyone nowadays. But the issue today is how western fandom is basically eating its own. Over the last several years criticism has turned into social commentary. A constant drumbeat of negativity that gets tiring to hear.

So now we are throwing sticks and stones at the neighbor's children cause they are watching stuff we don't like.

Good words, I like it. They made me remember how the boys complain that the show for girls is "too girlish" and other things of this kind.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Joshua Zarate wrote:
I’ve been wondering about this question for a while and I’m glad to see Justin writing about it on Answerman. Condemning people for liking any genre, subtly or not, will only cause more friction in the anime community and not make it grow at all. I still see that lack of welcoming certain genres happen on occasion and it just upsets me no matter how long I’ve seen it happen. Such efforts seem like a wasteful use of one’s time and I don’t understand why some folks appear to get a kick out of doing so. I sincerely hope that in the future, more people can be open to moving on to other things and not making a huge deal over something that they simply didn’t enjoy.

Well, it varies on a case-by-case basis. Sometimes, though, it's not imposing one's morals on others. Sometimes, you get fandom rivalry (and this is particularly true if video games are involved), in which someone feels superior when they put down someone with different tastes than them.

Either way, it's the result of an us-versus-them mindset and a little bit of fear of the other side. That fear, if you ask me, is why hatedoms get more vocal the more popular something is (which you could see pretty clearly with Pokémon, Harry Potter, Friendship Is Magic, Attack on Titan, and anything else that catches on).

Shay Guy wrote:
I still think it's weird that Yuuna and the Haunted Hot Springs runs in the same magazine as One Piece.

It's in Weekly Shonen Jump? Like, presently?

See more glass wrote:
As as ecchi material goes, I think JP is definitely way more lenient on sexuality in kids/teens stuff than the west.

In the USA, sex is considered bad in general, due to Christian religious morality, and anything sexual-related to kids is a no-no. You can get away with it by using innuendo, like in Animaniacs, but nothing else (as far Johnny Bravo went was using the word "virgin" in a episode, and that's all.)

if you ask me, part of the fun is seeing how much the writers could get away with in slipping past Standards & Practices. The writing team of ReBoot were masters at this in all forms of content not allowed (in theory) for children's television.

But that's me being a fan of western animation and having read inside stories since an early age. For the writing teams of these shows, it's something of a battle of wits. (The character of Lydia Karaoke in Histeria! is based on those games the writers play.)

Jose Cruz wrote:
I guess that depends on the age of the person in question. Because I guess most college aged people and under are aware of late night anime since in a survey from 2014 about 40% of Japanese college students claimed to be otakus and the most common hobby was anime. I guess that they are watching late night shows.

I had the impression that this idea that anime is made for children was actually mostly valid until the boom in late night anime that happened in the early 2000s and it is only in recent years that the volume of late night anime produced surpassed children's daytime anime. So maybe the popular perception of anime being just for kids might eventually vanish over the coming decades as the people who are young today will grow older.

Depends on the college. At both colleges that I went to, there was little to no interest in anime except for small pockets of people.

At one of them, I attended a class on pop culture in which a bunch of TV shows were screened--and two of them were Paranoia Agent ("Double Lips") and Samurai Champloo ("Baseball Blues"). (This was the 00's. A lot more notable anime has come out since. Since this was a general pop culture class, of course, we also had stuff like South Park and Arrested Development.) Apparently, of all of the students in the class, I was the only one with prior knowledge of these anime, and when the instructor had discussion and analyses after the screenings, it turns out that nearly the entire class thought anime was strictly for kids, with a few who were confused as they thought it WAS stuff for kids.

Chrono1000 wrote:
I would say that when it comes to free speech that Japan is far ahead of the western world. The idea that the western world is individualistic is more of an ideal that is debatable especially when it comes to the entertainment industry. One Piece had to be censored for western release because there are much stricter rules on what kids shows can cover and it would be impossible to make a show like Monster Musume in the western animation industry.

On the other hand, you can get away with far, far more with parody, satire, and social commentary in western media than you can in Japan due to parody being a form of protected speech in most western countries (if not all of them) but not in Japan. I mean, there's that episode and a half of Osomatsu that got pulled because they poked fun at the wrong things, and the series lost much of its abrasiveness as a result. They also have the Chrysanthemum Taboo, which is culturally ingrained and won't be going away any time soon.

One Piece and such had to have content adjusted for American television, but The Simpsons had to have content adjusted for Japanese television too. We celebrate Bart's antiestablishment views, and that was a big part of why The Simpsons got as popular as it did, but most of Japan doesn't, and they see Bart almost as something of a villain.

Overall, I'd say that the western world actually DOES have greater freedom of speech than Japan in that you ARE legally allowed to convey a lot more, but it also comes with more openness to criticism. That can make it seem like suppression.

TarsTarkas wrote:
When you use teenagers and children in anime as the main characters you constantly run into problems of the lack of parents, lack of adult interaction, and the lack of adult (police) interaction, which all lead to a suspension of disbelief.

There's also what TV Tropes calls the Improbably Young Age, in which teenagers somehow get into very high-ranking or otherwise powerful positions, either because they do so in an unbelievably short time or because they started doing it from when they were little. (A recent example is in Dr. Stone, in which apparently the world's greatest sonar technician is a high-schooler.)
ninjamitsuki

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:52 pm Reply with quote
As a bisexual woman, I'm okay with some ecchi series and I find a lot of them to be campy fun (though not something I'd take the time to actually watch), my problem is when all the girls are demure as-non-threatening-as-possible underage waifus. There's a biiiiiig difference between something like Monster Musume and something like Eromanga Sensei.
jtstellar

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:16 am Reply with quote
ninjamitsuki wrote:
As a bisexual woman, I'm okay with some ecchi series and I find a lot of them to be campy fun (though not something I'd take the time to actually watch), my problem is when all the girls are demure as-non-threatening-as-possible underage waifus. There's a biiiiiig difference between something like Monster Musume and something like Eromanga Sensei.

just know that a lot of the artists who provide shows you like might have their own closet kinks, and a lot of times they are suppressed from expressing them in art because people just radiate their negativity upon seeing it. i've seen plenty of artists who obviously don't indulge in a certain genre as deeply as i do drawing doujins for a certain group of audience's sake, to your statement, there's a difference between what could have been your more neutral tone, such as "well that is an orange, but i like apples better", as opposed to the tone you expressed.
ninjamitsuki

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:33 am Reply with quote
There's also a biiiiig difference between preferring oranges over apples and wanting to bone your 12 year old sister.

I'm sorry, but I think it's normal to be squicked out by something like that.
miken

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:26 am Reply with quote
configspace wrote:

They are not kids.

and? didn't say that.
OceanwaveIII

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Is Boobs and Light Sexy content in there media controversially as it is In America ? Honestly I am going to say “No” But there There a differences between having Sexy attractive character and Sexual Jokes apart of a larger story like Dragon ball or One Piece , Or a Domantrix Joke character like Sado Chan in One Piece . vs a Dedicated Ecchi Series like Eromatesu sensi

In Culturally have habit of like grouping it all together since they might have an attractive cartoon character with big boobs . And kinda stupid .

Ecchi series are Niche because there entire goal is to be ecchi
But there alot different shows like that for a variety of topic
It a Gun series the Only thing about the show is to talk about guns and gun history
Tank History Shows Tank Otaku or Mecha Otaku
or a Make up Otaku ( there Otaku of all types and variety not just manga and anime)
Virtual Idol Kawaii Otaku there all types of Otaku
They might call American Violent Otakus since we love are violent ass tv shows.

An Otaku it about the obsession on one particular derivative topic or aspect which leads to anime that are niche aren't very entertaining to the General Japanese public but a niche of fans will pay a lot of money for it .

It has nothing to do with like Sexy character or Beauty or One piece nami straw hat big boobs , that Actually mainstream and uncontroversial in Japan ( like it not controversial in japan about making imaginary cartoon character behave like an imaginary characters lol.. wither it be Rufus from street fighter or a big pair boobs ) Also.Japan has a had a incredibly long history in which sexual jokes are apart of like the mainstream mythology and fairy tales , (There are giant statues of Tanuki with giant balls who beat up priest with there nutsack that even showed up in mizayaki films ) In one legend A Goddess did a divine erotic strip tease to lure the sun goddess . so I am going to say yeah , It pretty mainstream to have-idealized attractive characters and Ecchi sex jokes in all sort of fair from Shin chan to Shonens that are Super Mainstream

(This is all controversial for Americans, and vocal part of the Western Anime fandom but it completely uncontroversial and mainstream in japan.One Piece and Shin chan are watched by all ages in Japan and there more woman watching One Piece than men )

. One of the Shin chan movies had cartoon character with Huge boobs Queens blade level boobs , Who tricked Shin Chan Dad into being experimented on and turned into a robot .

So Niche series that are like Totally ecchi are not popular or liked widely in Japan but from what I can tell .. t The general japanese attitude , " I don't care and I am not interested ") and it Ends there . Vs here in the USA we have endless parade articles being written about in fandoms and convention and cons ,various pointless witch hunts about media that wasn't made for us .eh yeah that just Western Only thing honestly .
No one in Japan cares thankfully . .
Aphasial
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Jonny Mendes wrote:
Is different if we are talking about manga or LN books because many people read them even as adults. But that is not true if you talk about anime.

For many, myself included, this never ceases to be odd to consider. In the US, despite the resurgance of superhero movies in the past decade, the actual *reading* of comics is exceedingly rare and niche -- especially after the comic collapse of the mid-1990s. While anime is growing in popularity, and animated programs for adults seem to be reasonably mainstream (think Family Guy, Archer, The Simpsons, and South Park), printed drawings past childhood are way outside the norm.

Every time I hear of the 20-30%-of-all-content manga penetration rate in Japan, it boggles my mind a little bit that *anime* (outside of those few heavy hitters) remains niche. It's hard for Americans to escape the notion that animation would be *less* popular than that.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:00 am Reply with quote
Aphasial wrote:
For many, myself included, this never ceases to be odd to consider. In the US, despite the resurgance of superhero movies in the past decade, the actual *reading* of comics is exceedingly rare and niche -- especially after the comic collapse of the mid-1990s. While anime is growing in popularity, and animated programs for adults seem to be reasonably mainstream (think Family Guy, Archer, The Simpsons, and South Park), printed drawings past childhood are way outside the norm.

Every time I hear of the 20-30%-of-all-content manga penetration rate in Japan, it boggles my mind a little bit that *anime* (outside of those few heavy hitters) remains niche. It's hard for Americans to escape the notion that animation would be *less* popular than that.

A major exception to that are comic strips. As they operated largely outside of the Comic Book Collapse and were never bound by the Comics Code Authority in the first place, comic strips have always been viewed as an all-ages thing.

They're so widely read (even if they're now mostly online rather than in the newspaper) that I think comic strips are a better analogue in the west to manga than comic books are. After all, they're both printed in black and white except on particular occasions, they have some pretty strict schedules, many series are gathered together in one place in a form of media, said medium is competitive for space and will regularly cancel the lowest performers, and the works in a specific series are collected into book form and sold at a higher price. They also took on a serial format long before American comic books were, let alone television. (I can think of The Katzenjammer Kids and Gasoline Alley as early serial fiction in ther western world.)
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:38 am Reply with quote
@leafy sea dragon

Concerning comic strips. In many, if not most papers they are now printed in color on weekdays as well as the traditional weekends.

Unfortunately they are in decline along with the newspapers that print them. Compilation books of comic strips have been disappearing from the bookstore for years. Now only the hottest titles are being reprinted.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5