• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix Debuts CG Knights of the Zodiac: Saint Seiya Anime's English-Dubbed Teaser

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NJ_

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Winger wrote:
Also, something curious is that in both brazilian and mexican dubs, female Shun is being voiced by the actresses who dub Naruto in both dubs.
Maybe we can have Maile Flanagan and Junko Takeuchi as Shun in english and japanese versions.

Maile Flanagan is a union actress and that's definitely not her voice in the English trailer.
tintor2

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:37 pm Reply with quote
This is just me but I have no problems with Shun's change. The original Saint Seiya was one of the sexiest manga as Seiya continuously said he would never punch a woman even if they were enemies which made him sound dumb in the process too.

The Lost Canvas, Omega and even Next Dimension seem to be aware of this issue as they decided to use more female characters as warriors. Saintia took it to the extreme but I still haven't read that one.
The Unchosen One

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Sergorn wrote:
Fans have this mental image of StS always looking like this

To be honest, the SS anime most of the time resembles more of the Abel image than that Afrodite one. Nothing about rose-colored glasses is gonna make anyone think that the original Saint Seiya anime looked, speciallly by the time the Bronze Saint get to the Sanctuary, and how the anime as it designs are very iconic and is what draw people to the franchise in the first place. And looks at what you say, people remember more easily the Abel-style design more because is the one everyone who watched the anime stayed with.

Sergorn wrote:
When more often that not it really just looked like this

Anyone claiming the original Saint Seiya is this perfection of animation is just deluded, and I've been a Saint Seiya fan for 30 years.

-Sergorn

I think nowadays is pretty easy to pull the "Dragon Ball Super shitty animation" card to look like a critic just because is fashionable to say "nostalgia is bad" when is not so much, specially when for that purpose, you choose consciously one of the VERY FEW poorly drawn frames from the Sanctuary arc, arguably one of the most well animated arcs in the show. Of course the show has its failings in account of its animations, but you and the dude who say we have "to face" how... sigh... "ugly"... the show looks now (when I already made my case about why it's so timeless despite it's 80s' charm), as a means of criticism come off more as edgy millenials than anything. Christ, even Persona 5 and Dragon Ball Super in its first days have shittier animation than most of 80s shows.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Removed some pointless troll/bait posts and responses to them. You don't have to like the news or agree with the decision, but simply leaving pointless troll posts adds nothing of value to the conversation. So if you're going to post on how this is a mistake then back it up with WHY you think that.
Asaaaasd

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:02 pm Reply with quote
It's pretty out of touch to try and appeal to female Saint Seiya fans by turning Shun into a woman. Do they not know what's popular in that part of the community?
ballinamon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:29 am Reply with quote
You know what? I [expletive] love this. I never ever felt that the Andromeda Cloth was a cloth destined to boys (yeah I now now but is like that) call me sexist, idiot or whatever, really the mix of the appearance of the cloth, the appearence of Shun also as their behavior always make me felt like, hey, wouldn't be better that Shun would have been a girl? Well shit.

Objetively talking I think I can agree with the director? about the decision if he want to have a female Saint in the cast.

Yeah, he, I and everyone know that so many people is going to be [expletive] angry with this (really never like Shun so much btw) but he admitted lack the skill (or eagerness) to write a female in the cast in place of original Shun without feel shoehorned and the fans asking "who the fudge is this bitch, where is [expletive] Shun?". In Omega with Yuna isn't like that because the cast is write of scratch but if you try to introduce a new character in a previosly established and well-known cast, thing gonna get ugly, yeah at least he is ready.

So how about other options? Downgrade Shaina or Marin? nah-ah besides his roles are necessary. Give powers to Miho or Shunrei? [expletive] disgusting. Chamaleon June? who the fudge is she?

I really don't see better options. But well this is my opinion and is the opinion of someone pro-female MCs and who uses female characters in role-games so take it with a grain of salt. But yeah in Japan is isn't strange really, in west is more common to chance white for black.

Oh, but is a pity that it won't go full japanese to have Oniichan shienanigans with Shun and Ikki. There wasn't an implication of Ikki falling in love with Esmeralda for remember him of Shun?
Chester McCool

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:14 am Reply with quote
Asaaaasd wrote:
It's pretty out of touch to try and appeal to female Saint Seiya fans by turning Shun into a woman. Do they not know what's popular in that part of the community?

I eagerly await the American Yuri on Ice adaption where Yuri is now a woman, as women would clearly prefer a female protagonist in which they can identify more easily with.
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:00 am Reply with quote
I'm passing and watching Saintia Sho instead

Shun being a girl/woman was one of the reasons. I've nothing against the idea of changing a character's gender, but the problem is, one of the reasons Shun is beloved and famous was because he was a good example of breaking the stereotype that tough fighters wouldn't be all kind/caring, and that's what Shun is: normally he's kind and doesn't want to hurt others, but can be extremely powerful when pushed hard enough, we didn't get a lot of shounen characters like that back then.

And if Shun's a female in this version, then why doesn't she have a mask like Marin and Shaina, or June? Are they going to make Lizard Misty and Pisces Aphrodite, or I'd even say Siren Sorrento females too (if they even get to the Poseidon arc)? If you truly want to appeal to female fans, why not just show the female Saints fighting alongside the male ones? Heck, Omega did that whole thing with Yuna removing her mask which fans complained about, yet they still had her fight alongside.

The other things that don't fit well are having the Japanese military get involved for whatever reason, and they even ruined the Black Saints, they look like Cassios when Cassios is NOT a Black Saint, and they were supposed to be like evil versions of the Saints: Black Pegasus, Dragon, Swan, Andromeda and Ikki.

The animation is fine but looks like a PS2/PS3 game, and I still think the original anime look, despite the fact it wasn't perfect (the animation in parts of episode 5 and episode 9 was PAINFULLY bad Shocked, and there were a lot of "quality" shots, but the content/story of those episodes made up for it).

But still, I have a feeling it's the same method that was used for certain failures of franchises I've seen like the Ninja Steel series for Power Rangers and the first seasons of Sailor Moon Crystal: the producers just made a generic, bad story that would not work/sell on its own (or made the story of a beloved manga look bad) and just used a famous, beloved brand so that people would watch, knowing anyone would watch it as long as it looked something like that. If the Saints were replaced with five other generic warriors or costumed superheroes, I'm pretty sure it would just be junk that would barely get a blip on the radar and no one would care about.
Black Turtle

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
Female Shiryu would have been a neat way to examine how a girl can be just as self-sacrificing, dedicated, & badass as Shiryu originally was (& they could have even Shunrei a good if they wanted, adding in a little something for the LGBTQ+ community).

Yeah, but they would have lost the main source of female fanservice, the guy that draw power from nudity.

spoiler[Anyway, looking forward, does that make Hades a woman? I mean, when they thought of changing a character, did they miss the fact that Shun was Hades's host?] Hyoga would have been a better choice. But I guess they probably didn't want to make the girl the one with a mother complex.

ballinamon wrote:
So how about other options? Downgrade Shaina or Marin?
Well, Ophiuchus already has been a silver and a gold cloth, why not a bronze one now.

Also, why did they keep the japanese name for Seiya's attack (Pegasus ryuseiken), but changed Shiryuu's one "Rozan shoryu ha" by "Rozan shenlong ha"? It's utterly retarded.

Last edited by Black Turtle on Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:12 pm; edited 2 times in total
Asaaaasd

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Black Turtle wrote:

But I guess they probably didn't want to make the girl the one with a mother complex.

Instead, they make the one dude who doesn't act like a stereotypical man into a woman. That's what I would expect from a European localization company in prior decades, not an official remake of a globally beloved anime.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:32 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure it's even fair to compare the animation quality of a show that's over 30 years old to a modern day anime where there's been so much more advancements in CGI technology over the years that there's no excuse to put out something like this. A more accurate comparison would be to compare this Saint Seiya reboot to something more recent like Land of the Lustrous which looks leaps and bounds better in spite of it also being CGI. As Sailor Sedna points out, this just seems like a cheap product they only put out to make a quick buck off of nostalgia fanservice and little kids that don't know better. I say this as someone who doesn't have much familiarity with the original Saint Seiya that I'm just not very impressed with this reboot so far.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Asaaaasd wrote:
Instead, they make the one dude who doesn't act like a stereotypical man into a woman. That's what I would expect from a European localization company in prior decades, not an official remake of a globally beloved anime.

Laughing Reminds me of the days when anime dubs would change girly looking guy characters into women, like the old Sailor Moon, Pokemon, and Digimon dubs.
Mewzard

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Black Turtle wrote:
Also, why did they keep the japanese name for Seiya's attack (Pegasus ryuseiken), but changed Shiryuu's one "Rozan shoryu ha" by "Rozan shenlong ha"?

Well, Seiya's master Eagle Marin was Japanese like he was, but Shiryu's master was Chinese, he could have gotten the name from his old master (not sure if Shiryu's half-Chinese or not, we never learn who his mother was).

Hyoga was Half-Russian, so two of his attacks are in Russian: His Kholodnyi Smerch (Cold Tornado, replaced by the Aurora Thunder Attack in the anime), and Koltso (Ring). Whereas the Diamond Dust is in English.

A few of the Saints had techniques named using their native language (at least in the manga that was the case).
Black Turtle

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Mewzard wrote:
Black Turtle wrote:
Also, why did they keep the japanese name for Seiya's attack (Pegasus ryuseiken), but changed Shiryuu's one "Rozan shoryu ha" by "Rozan shenlong ha"?

Well, Seiya's master Eagle Marin was Japanese like he was, but Shiryu's master was Chinese, he could have gotten the name from his old master (not sure if Shiryu's half-Chinese or not, we never learn who his mother was).

Hyoga was Half-Russian, so two of his attacks are in Russian: His Kholodnyi Smerch (Cold Tornado, replaced by the Aurora Thunder Attack in the anime), and Koltso (Ring). Whereas the Diamond Dust is in English.

A few of the Saints had techniques named using their native language (at least in the manga that was the case).

But it doesn't fit. All the techniques are transfered from master to student. That's why even in the Japanese version, Hyoga and shun have all their attacks in English, while other have theirs in japanese. But yeah, that could work as an explanation.

But does Shen Long Ha means Sho Ryu ha in chinese? especially the ha at the end, I find it weird it's the same.
Mewzard

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Black Turtle wrote:
But it doesn't fit. All the techniques are transfered from master to student. That's why even in the Japanese version, Hyoga and shun have all their attacks in English, while other have theirs in japanese. But yeah, that could work as an explanation.

But does Shen Long Ha means Sho Ryu ha in chinese? especially the ha at the end, I find it weird it's the same.

One bit that may add to this is that the attack's full name is Rozan Sho Ryu Ha. Rozan is referring to Lushan, or Mount Lu in China. Shiryu's attacks almost universally refer to that location, so it makes sense to use the Chinese name. It's where the Dragon Cloth is kept, it's where the training takes place, and it's where his master lives.

Ryu is Dragon, Shoryu is basically Rising Dragon (like Shoryuken, though Saint Seiya came first).

Now, Shenlong refers to a Dragon God or Dragon Spirit. You could say using the technique to reverse the waterfall is representing Shenlong's connection to storms/rain (had to look that bit up).

Bit of a stretch perhaps, but it is what it is. Dunno about Ha's Chinese counterpart though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5