• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Crunchyroll Announces Nominees for 5th Annual Anime Awards

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:14 am Reply with quote
No nomination for Deca-Dence's character designs? Invalid category!

(Actually, most of these noms are pretty legit, I just wanted to vote for the Heybots)
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Horsefellow wrote:
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
... It seems to me that the judges decide for four shows to get almost everything and leave most of the other shows to maybe get the one win in the one category they appear in which I think you are right in calling "obligation picks". While I understand that very good shows are likely to be good in many categories, I also find it hard to believe that the "favs" are so much better than the bunch of other shows who were also good. Can't shake the feeling that there is a deliberate plan to "guide" votes to the "favs" and then say the results prove the selection...
...You're overthinking it way too much. The judges just pick the stuff they want to win. Pretty straightforward. Obviously each judge has their own preference, but most are pretty open about it so you know what to expect if you've ever seen their content. Like Ajay who said he pushed hard for Dragon Quest to make the nomination because it's his personal favorite and he just wants to see it get recognition on a bigger scale even if it doesn't win. I don't know if that counts as a "conspiracy" or not, but that's pretty much how every award shows work...
I really appreciate your and All-Tsun-And-No-Dere's perspectives and input. I never thought there was nor literally said there was any conspiracy but I can see how my remarks sounded like it. I guess I will attribute the curiosity of the grouping of nominations, and hence domination of the awards, of a small subset of the 34 total nominated shows as a statistical or ideological artifact and not fully intentional. Despite the one mischaracterization, I really don't care which shows were nominated or that those I like had little representation and I certainly was not trying to use convoluted reasoning to justify anything. However, I will point out that with the nominations structured as they are, we can expect a set of 6 shows to win in the majority of categories and only half of the rest are likely to win anything. To avoid misrepresentation, I don't mean that those 6 are illegitimate, in fact Eizoken and Beastars look like great shows and possibly very deserving, just that we can expect a certain outcome from the voting. If it doesn't come to pass, oh well...
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:30 am Reply with quote
anpansparking wrote:
Catarina and Maria seems like a weird nomination for best couple. I know people ship them, and Maria obviously likes Catarina, but her feelings seem pretty one-sided for the moment, and it's really up in the air who Catarina will end up with, if anyone (based solely on the anime, at least).

It just kind of seems like the category should be for, if not actual couples, at least pairings where both parties have clear romantic feelings for each other.

You'd think Adachi and Shimamura, a REAL yuri couple, would get nominated, but nope!
Saeryen

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:44 am Reply with quote
Personally, I’m really happy that Katarina/Maria got nominated. They are one of my OTPs!

I’m glad Villainess and Katarina got so many nominations too. It’s an isekai about how kindness is strength, which our world really needs to hear right now.

I also voted Fruba for Best Drama and Akito for Best Antagonist. I voted for Hanako-kun and his VA in their categories and for Bookworm too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Horsefellow

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
I really appreciate your and All-Tsun-And-No-Dere's perspectives and input. I never thought there was nor literally said there was any conspiracy but I can see how my remarks sounded like it. I guess I will attribute the curiosity of the grouping of nominations, and hence domination of the awards, of a small subset of the 34 total nominated shows as a statistical or ideological artifact and not fully intentional. Despite the one mischaracterization, I really don't care which shows were nominated or that those I like had little representation and I certainly was not trying to use convoluted reasoning to justify anything. However, I will point out that with the nominations structured as they are, we can expect a set of 6 shows to win in the majority of categories and only half of the rest are likely to win anything. To avoid misrepresentation, I don't mean that those 6 are illegitimate, in fact Eizoken and Beastars look like great shows and possibly very deserving, just that we can expect a certain outcome from the voting. If it doesn't come to pass, oh well...

Oh, I'm not really defending the awards or anything. it's just that it's always pretty obvious why certain nominations happen and it's not really a huge secret or anything. There's a reason why the term Oscar bait is a thing: people know what kind of elements and stories appeal to critics. I liked Ezouken too but I'm not surprised it's getting a lot of nominations over other stuff given it's subject matter.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
Can't shake the feeling that there is a deliberate plan to "guide" votes to the "favs" and then say the results prove the selection...

I never thought there was nor literally said there was any conspiracy but I can see how my remarks sounded like it.

Lol, you've definitely reduced your carbon footprint with that level of backpedaling (to power your "feeling" waffle-iron?). Razz What exactly would a conspiracy look like, if a deliberate plan to "guide" votes isn't one? oO
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:03 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
Can't shake the feeling that there is a deliberate plan to "guide" votes to the "favs" and then say the results prove the selection...
I never thought there was nor literally said there was any conspiracy but I can see how my remarks sounded like it.
Lol, you've definitely reduced your carbon footprint with that level of backpedaling (to power your "feeling" waffle-iron?). Razz What exactly would a conspiracy look like, if a deliberate plan to "guide" votes isn't one? oO
Ah, I do love your wit! A conspiracy requires a group to plan an action to achieve an agreed end that is likely to meet opposition by non-conspirators if the details were known by them. I didn't state categorically that was the case. I meant by the first statement that the appearance of the same few shows across so many more categories than the majority of other shows seems eerily similar to what one might expect of the existence of a plan to limit choices (think decision tree paring "magic" trick). However, I was implicitly allowing for the same result coming from the judges acting in the same way independently. I also stated that the disparity could be a result of general agreement by the judges that the shows were good choices in the same categories, just that there were so many good shows that seemed less likely.

Since you ask, Ex: if many of the judges happen to like the same or similar set of shows and wish to ensure they get as many award "wins" for their "faves" as possible from the voting public, an obvious strategy is to nominate those shows in every category. However, other judges might catch on seeing the same shows nominated in every single category and assuming there is not total unanimity, they might call for an examination of the nominations or do the same but for different shows and so the win probability goes down. So the savvy judge nominates his "faves" across as many categories as he thinks he can without raising suspicion and 25%-50% is a good target range. If a majority of the judges do the same, we have the observed result without conspiracy but nevertheless enacting a plan on the voting public by reducing the "non-fave" choices.
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:06 am Reply with quote
Horsefellow wrote:
There's a reason why the term Oscar bait is a thing: people know what kind of elements and stories appeal to critics. I liked Eizouken too but I'm not surprised it's getting a lot of nominations over other stuff given it's subject matter.

Shirobako got the same treatment, winning major awards in 2015 and 2016.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shirobako#Reception

Eizouken is second for me behind Golden Kamuy 3 this year. Why Kamuy doesn't appeal to critics is beyond me.
El Hermano

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
Since you ask, Ex: if many of the judges happen to like the same or similar set of shows and wish to ensure they get as many award "wins" for their "faves" as possible from the voting public, an obvious strategy is to nominate those shows in every category. However, other judges might catch on seeing the same shows nominated in every single category and assuming there is not total unanimity, they might call for an examination of the nominations or do the same but for different shows and so the win probability goes down. So the savvy judge nominates his "faves" across as many categories as he thinks he can without raising suspicion and 25%-50% is a good target range. If a majority of the judges do the same, we have the observed result without conspiracy but nevertheless enacting a plan on the voting public by reducing the "non-fave" choices.

If people actually care that much to go through that much trouble just so their favorite can win an award from Crunchyroll, I just say let them have it and props to them for gaming the system to a meticulous degree.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4