• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Sued in Class-Action Lawsuit for Allegations of Violating Americans with Disabiliti

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
varmintx

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:31 am Reply with quote
Vanadise wrote:
varmintx wrote:
I didn't know you could sue for having a website that sucks for us blind folks. Look out, world, I'm gonna be bringing so many of these f***ing lawsuits, the litigation will never end!

If your business falls under Title I (you are open at least 20 hours per week and have at least 15 employees) or Title III (you are open to the public and fall into one of 12 specific categories of businesses) and you have a web site, then yes, in fact, you are legally required to be ADA-compliant, and you can be sued if you are not.

As we can see here, there are a lot of people who think that providing basic accessibility for disabled users is a joke, and fortunately that's why the ADA exists.

Maybe you should reread my comment and then hopefully figure out the "joke" was that so many websites suck for disabled people like myself.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:11 am Reply with quote
Lanisatu wrote:
They specifically mentioned WCAG. Which, if you want to read it, is here: https://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG21/

It's a standard list of accessibility guidelines, typically mentioned in legislation related to enforcing accessibility on websites. Depending on the jurisdiction and type of business, different levels may be mandated.

Thanks! I'll take a look when I have an opportunity.

Lanisatu wrote:
I know it looks long, but the vast majority of the requirements are actually good coding practice.

I generally only do "back-end" scientific programming, and don't have much experience with website development, but even from that vantage, it does seem sloppy not to e.g. properly populate alt text or maintain distinct title fields.

Lanisatu wrote:
I think one of the things people seem to be glossing over with this case is that she's literally asking for the bare minimum so she can actually use the website. From what I've heard elsewhere, it sounds like there's inconsistent (if any) enforcement of the ADA in the US for this type of issue without doing it this way -- which seems broken.

Yeah, I think if folks look at what the suit seems to actually be alleging is missing, and understand it, there could hardly be much reason to complain about demands to fix it. These don't seem like unreasonable requests at all, especially for a very large corporation.

re: ADA enforcement -- I've heard similar things before, although I don't know of any authoritative source on it. Would be curious if anyone knows of a good source on how often US court cases are needed to jumpstart this kind of thing (or how often they're frivolous "ADA-chasing", I guess), if there are other enforcement mechanisms and whether they work well/how frequently that is the case, etc.

EDIT: Oh, this also makes me wonder: in this case, is the problem actually US-specific? Funi's site probably isn't any friendlier for blind users internationally, right? I guess their HQ is in Texas, US (glancing at their wikipedia page), so maybe that makes disabilities accommodations a US issue, legally speaking..?
TheMorry

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:24 pm Reply with quote
GeorgH wrote:
https://www.google.com/search?q=%22Jenisa+Angeles%22+lawsuit

Guess it's not her first lawsuit.
The Funimation Shop has several other significant issues, including the ban of foreign IP adresses resulting in the fact, that European anime fans interested in Funimations products cannot check which of their titles are Region B/2 (and shop.funimation.com is the only official source for this prior to the street date)

Yea I was pretty pissed off i couldn't go on their website anymore to read their news updates etc. However on an UK anime news website we got a list where are all European friendly bluray and dvd are listed. Also from all the other anime distributors. Funny thing is that i can play a sentai geo lock anime releases lol. Guess UK is geo locked but the Netherlands is not.. xD
Kazemon15

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:06 pm Reply with quote
I recently emailed them about their Log Horizon season 1 dub not having caption when it previously did on Hulu... so hopefully this kind of thing opens their eyes to disabled anime fans...
Ren of Heavens

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 4:10 pm Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
EDIT: Oh, this also makes me wonder: in this case, is the problem actually US-specific? Funi's site probably isn't any friendlier for blind users internationally, right? I guess their HQ is in Texas, US (glancing at their wikipedia page), so maybe that makes disabilities accommodations a US issue, legally speaking..?

Funi block non-US visitors so we can't actually load it, but other countries have similar laws - I was previously hired by a UK university to bring their website into WCAG compliance.

It's far easier if it's designed from the start that way, but it can be fixed retroactively.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Ren of Heavens wrote:
Funi block non-US visitors so we can't actually load it, but other countries have similar laws - I was previously hired by a UK university to bring their website into WCAG compliance.

Oh, I guess I misunderstood the comments earlier in the thread about Funi being region-locked! I thought that meant that they had some kind of Netflix-like approach to identifying your region based on your IP, and would filter some content accessibility, or some other sections of their site, based on it. I didn't realize it meant you literally can't access anything on their site at all!
Hitokiri Kenshin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Not to sound mean, but if blind, how can you watch cartoons? Expect them to sound out the action or something?
varmintx

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Hitokiri Kenshin wrote:
Not to sound mean, but if blind, how can you watch cartoons? Expect them to sound out the action or something?

First of all, "blind" doesn't necessarily mean "completely without sight" It can also mean "severely diminished sight." Second...yeah, descriptive audio is totally a thing that exists.
nargun

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Hitokiri Kenshin wrote:

You could just do a google search to find out.

(It's surprisingly rude to ask questions like that, just as a heads-up. You might think people don't have to answer, but even asking people to refuse is a demand you're really not in a position to make, and it's enough of a boundary breech that people get legit concerned that you might go further -- "make a scene", shout at people "I'm just ASKING", harass, etc. Don't be that guy, but also don't look like you could be that guy)
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Alright everyone please pay attention really closely, as many of you apparently are not actually reading the article given the majority of responses over the 4 pages thus far. This is not about their video player or watching anime. This was in regards to their STORE and how the plaintiff wanted to make purchases and could not. They are 2 entirely separate things. Perhaps the plaintiff also has an issue with that, but that is not apart of this lawsuit as it's been presented thus far. So let's stop the increasingly testy back and forth over the wrong topic, and further "how do blind people even watch anime?!" comments. If you truly want to know than google is your friend.
Spike Terra
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Psionicdan wrote:

P.S: I don't know what Funimation's streaming service is like, because I'm cheap and only got Crunchyroll and Hulu right now. Been meaning to invest in Funimation subscription, but after this, I have even more reservations. Now how am I going to watch the MHA Dub?

Well, if you have hulu, you have access to the MHA dub, they currently host all four seasons both subbed and dubbed. Smile

So my question is that if Funimation just meets the demands of the plantiffs, does the lawsuit get dropped or do they still have to go to court?
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Spike Terra wrote:
Psionicdan wrote:

P.S: I don't know what Funimation's streaming service is like, because I'm cheap and only got Crunchyroll and Hulu right now. Been meaning to invest in Funimation subscription, but after this, I have even more reservations. Now how am I going to watch the MHA Dub?

Well, if you have hulu, you have access to the MHA dub, they currently host all four seasons both subbed and dubbed. Smile

So my question is that if Funimation just meets the demands of the plantiffs, does the lawsuit get dropped or do they still have to go to court?

Previously in the thread:
TheTJ87 wrote:
these sort of cases usually settle out of court with a small sum to the party in question and a commitment to improve access with in a set time period.
Shaterri

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:15 pm Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
I wonder if there were any additional concrete requirements listed, or what the usual list of such requirements might look like in an example? I've run into ADA requirements in the past, and always wondered what exactly they tend to consist of for most websites. In any event, this seems more than reasonable to expect of even a tiny mom-and-pop shop like Funi.

I'm surprised nobody has noted this before now: the last time Funimation sold, back in 2017, Sony paid 143 million dollars for a 95% stake in the company. They are in no way, shape or form a 'tiny mom-and-pop shop'.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Shaterri wrote:
NeverConvex wrote:
I wonder if there were any additional concrete requirements listed, or what the usual list of such requirements might look like in an example? I've run into ADA requirements in the past, and always wondered what exactly they tend to consist of for most websites. In any event, this seems more than reasonable to expect of even a tiny mom-and-pop shop like Funi.

I'm surprised nobody has noted this before now: the last time Funimation sold, back in 2017, Sony paid 143 million dollars for a 95% stake in the company. They are in no way, shape or form a 'tiny mom-and-pop shop'.

Yes--I was being sarcastic, there.
gridsleep

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:14 pm Reply with quote
This short article fails to mention if the plaintiff made attempt to bring this situation to the attention of Funimation's web manager through email or phone call, or if the plaintiff just immediate jumped on the lawsuit bandwagon without a second thought. Lawsuits are expensive, even if you win, and should never be the first course of action. ANN news can be a bit skimpy at times.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6