• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Kaguya-sama: Love is War -Ultra Romantic-

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NeedMoreCats
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2022 1:44 pm Reply with quote
dm wrote:
this week they were obviously paying homage to another anime (or anime) with the visuals, but I don't know which one.

Too funny! Thanks for this, you made my day Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:17 am Reply with quote
Brain says "singular (or plural)", fingers write the singular (or plural) forms of a word that only has one form....

Like I said, last week really reminded me of Kare kano's visual experimentation. This week was also playing around with visuals, making me think they were referencing something specific (though I guess there's always been a lot of visual playfulness in this series).

Looking forward to Bakemonogatari-homage SHAFT head-tilts before the season ends.

Thanks, Mr AJCosplay, I completely missed the parallel between Kaguya's tea-preparation (with l*o*v*e) and the Shirogane flashback (tea preparation being an expected behavior for a proper young lady, it just seemed natural for her to do it well).

One other thing to note about the Shirogane flashback is (not a spoiler if you've seen the episode) spoiler[the reveal at the end. Shirogane leaves that encounter with an idealized view of Shinomiya's selfless decisiveness. The reveal shows us that her actions were driven by a ruthless family-self-interest.]. There's lots implicit in that, and what has happened to these characters in the intervening years.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:24 am Reply with quote
dm wrote:
One other thing to note about the Shirogane flashback is (not a spoiler if you've seen the episode) spoiler[the reveal at the end. Shirogane leaves that encounter with an idealized view of Shinomiya's selfless decisiveness. The reveal shows us that her actions were driven by a ruthless family-self-interest.]. There's lots implicit in that, and what has happened to these characters in the intervening years.

Are we meant to take Shinomiyaspoiler[-in-the-past's explanation at face value? It was difficult for me to tell if she seriously meant that it was only worth saving the girl in a transactional earning-a-family-favor sense, or if we were supposed to interpret that as her way of abashedly brushing off Hayasaka's praise].
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 12:53 pm Reply with quote
[quote="NeverConvex"]
dm wrote:
Are we meant to take Shinomiyaspoiler[-in-the-past's explanation at face value? It was difficult for me to tell if she seriously meant that it was only worth saving the girl in a transactional earning-a-family-favor sense, or if we were supposed to interpret that as her way of abashedly brushing off Hayasaka's praise].

That's a good point. You may be right.

I've forgotten where in the manga timeline this happens, and whether it's been covered by the anime, but (maybe a spoiler from the manga) spoiler[there's a sequence in which the many sides of Shinomiya's personality hold a "trial" of the new, love-struck-puddle-of-goo Shinomiya. The Shinomiya we see delivering that explanation to Hayasaka was the chief magistrate.]
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Miyuki Shirogane origins! Going from a bad-tempered and angry kid who felt out of place to someone who fell in love and found a way to be worthy of the person he came to idolize, thus setting up the entire plot. And ironically in doing so he became the kind of person the old Kaguya would scoff at, but that ended up being what made her fall for him.

Also it's nice to see Kaguya with her hair loose.

I was not expecting Nobunaga Shimazaki to show up as the former student council president.

It's great how Maki is so supportive and friendly despite her own romantic suffering, offering up some good backup for Ishigami. It's just too bad she has to continue to live with the torture of Kashiwagi and Tsubasa flaunting their relationship in front of her all the time.

Ganbare, Ishigami-kun! Asking Tsubame out is a great first step.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2022 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Is it good or bad that I spent the entirety of the interaction between Shinomiya and the younger Fujiwara waiting for them to bond over their shared admiration for Shirogane's fine qualities? Maybe I was set up by Love after world domination a couple of weeks ago.
michizure

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 5:28 pm Reply with quote
If anyone is wondering what's going on with Kaguya-san in the teaser for Episode 11, it is alluding to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djV11Xbc914
John Thacker

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 8:56 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Can I just say that the haunted mansion reference made me age about 20 years?

The Resident Evil / Biohazard reference? That you didn't mention the A-ha Take on Me music video reference (and parody instrumental of the song) makes me feel old.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:41 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Chika is going to be distracted by whoever the heck the phantom thief is and to be honest, I don't really care about that plot point.

Anya smirk emoji here.
Ohm_0_

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:46 am Reply with quote
Is it supposed to be spoiler[that big of a secret that Shirogane is the Phantom Thief? I mean, Im not a manga reader but it seems quite obvious that that is the case. The guy has been acting ominously the whole episode and even the previous episodes foreshadowed that with the news reporter students stating that Shirogane would do something crazy at the festival.]
Amuro1X

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Chika is going to be distracted by whoever the heck the phantom thief is and to be honest, I don't really care about that plot point.

Oh you sweet summer child. Let's give Aka Akasaka some more credit Wink

Quote:
Speaking of Ino, I am a little bit worried if the show just kind of forgot what to do with her these past couple of episodes. It felt like they were setting something up a while ago about her being interested in the festival

To be fair the main thing she fought for was the bon fire and that hasn't happened yet because it's part of the closing ceremonies of festivals.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 2:01 pm Reply with quote
I see being a tsundere against their better judgement runs in the family.

I love how Kaguya thinks Kashiwagi is her best friend instead of Fujiwara, and Kashiwagi and Shirogane basically team-up to trick her into giving her heart away.

Tsubame feels very "real," especially in her reaction to Ishigami's confession. She's never seen him that way, she has a lot going on, and she's usually the type to go all in on a relationship...so she feels like she needs to reject him in the most polite way possible. And Kaguya, being Kaguya, completely misreads the situation and makes things worse. But luckily Ishigami's own character helps give him another chance with Tsubame. Wanting to get to know him better is a pretty natural way to go.

Ishigami wasn't kidding, Iino actually is surprisingly easy.

Shirogane finally dropping all pretenses and just asking Kaguya out for a festival date. And then finding out she'll be amazing in bed with the right education. Wow.

Random idol Hayasaka performance for the win.

Of course Kaguya is on cloud 9 and happy as can be...which is the perfect time for Shirogane to tell her about Stanford.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Having scene the live-action film that covers the end of the series, I found it interesting that they use a made-up name for the school that Shirogane is planning to attend, the San Francisco Institute of Technology, where they chose to use a real school name for the original manga and anime.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 2:53 pm Reply with quote
I was surprised to learn that Shirogane was going to Stanford a year early. I thought he wanted to take the plunge because he didn't want to waste another year beating around the bush, not that his time was already almost up...

John Thacker wrote:
That you didn't mention the A-ha Take on Me music video reference (and parody instrumental of the song) makes me feel old.

Don't worry, you weren't the only one who got that reference Smile
jdnation

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 5:12 pm Reply with quote
I understood that reference!

Also the Lupin reference seemed more to me also a reference to Persona 5, the musical cues for both A-ha and Persona were there (albeit in a remixed form), or at least it also felt that way to me for the second being Persona.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5