• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Fall 2022 Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 2:03 pm Reply with quote
I'm not particularly worried about the new Gundam's school setting considering that Macross Frontier also started started with a school setting, but very quickly moved on from that. I expect that The Witch From Mercury will do the same considering what was set up from the prologue episode.
db999

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Here's the thing its not only there to for that reason I stated but first to further clarify. People only knew it was going to be taking place at a school and most of the comments I've seen about it before and after the prologue were complaining about how they disliked that it would be at a school. Also this is a gundam show and gundam fans don't really want a silly mainline series. The creators of the show had a very clear vision of what they wanted the show to be and knew Gundam fans would act in this exact same way so they made the prologue to set up the story. Also I don't think the show is silly or that the school stuff is silly. Sure its not very grounded in the way the school characters act. However It's clearly setting up a world where corporations rule everything and that even when rules are in place that those rules can be overwritten at a moments notice when the political world shifts. spoiler[Specifically with that one guy planning to blow up the chairmans shuttle so he cant remove his kids from school and revoke the engagement].. Theres also some nice dramatic irony going on in the ending when you know what the ending of the battle stops from happening goven the events of the prologue, which would be completely meaningless if it weren't there. spoiler[Suletta inadvertently saves the life of the man who ordered the mass murder of her entire family, whose daughter she is now engaged to.] Without the prologue you lose that element of dramatic tension and irony
SHD

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Now that I could properly watch Gundam: The Witch from Mercury (after four interruptions...) I can join in the choir of "omg this is Gundam: Utena" Very Happy A bit too much, actually? I kind of expected an open reference, or at least a shout out, considering that aside of a few details, the episode followed the beats of the first episode of Utena almost word for word. I don't mind at all, but at least an acknowledgement would've been nice. (If I was Ikuhara Kunihiko I may or may not be thinking about calling my lawyer now...)

Fortunately as someone who didn't expect a serious war drama, I had lots of fun with this episode, although I hope Suletta gets over her shyness soon. And the twists are a bit reassuring re: the relationship between Suletta and Miorine - I was worried it would be some kind of stereotypical catty rivalry or something, so I'm relieved not to see signs of that so far.

(I guess I can remove the spoiler tags, considering the reviews are pretty open about the thing, too?)
harminia

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Re Last Boss

Caitlin Moore wrote:
The animation is stiff and the character art is nowhere near as expressive the manga.

That'd be because the anime is adapting the light novels which have a more... generic and somewhat lifeless look to them (I much prefer the manga art style to the LN art).

Richard Eisenbeis wrote:
I love villainess stories. It doesn't matter if they are isekai, time travel, or simply telling a cliché story through the villainess' point of view. They are my crack cocaine and I seek them out voraciously, regardless of the medium.

Oh, me too. I don't think I'll get tired of them, they're such fun stories and I love seeing the different ways people twist the plot.

Anyway, I'm not expecting much from Last Boss because the trailers didn't look amazing but I'll try to give it a watch sometime because I'm a fan of the novels (and manga).
Thesarum

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Had a busy weekend so I've got a pile of premiers on the backlog still.. from what I've watched so far:

Spy Family starts right back up where it left off with a sublime mix of cute, funny, wacky and action. Anya's new dog-horse, like the rest of the family, is equal parts genius and idiot. Borf! Anya is still the most adorable chaos gremlin in any medium anywhere, and I just want Yor to have all the nice things. And to watch her kicking her enemies through the sound barrier some more.

Eileen de whatever from I'm the villainess is a riot. Unapologetically going about saving herself. I'll have to take Caitlin's word for it that this doesn't quite live up to the source material, but it's plenty fun as it is.

I'm undecided on Raven Consort. But there's certainly enough there for me to give it at least the 3 episode test.
MyMasterMatthew

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:18 pm Reply with quote
I don't usually read reviews until after I've watched something (unless I'm really on the fence about a show), so I wanted to ask a question about the new Gundam. Does it require any prior knowledge? I recently watched the first eight or nine episodes of the original series, and I watched the first season of SD Gundam on Toonami when I was younger.

I was pleasantly surprised by MHA not having the usual recap episode. While I enjoyed the first episode of Season 5, I'm glad they went straight into the "action" for Season 6.

The show I'm looking forward to most is Season 2 of To Your Eternity. I wish it aired sooner in the month, but I've managed to wait this long. A few more weeks won't kill me.
AQuin1904

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Now that I've actually seen the first ep of The Witch From Mercury: Wow, people weren't kidding with the Utena comparison. Still, it was a fun enough introduction. I'll probably stick with this to see where it goes, although I fully expect a nosedive in the second half (because it's a split-cours Sunrise show and they all do that). I hope that it will be able to build a strong identity for itself and not get bogged down in things a Gundam show "needs" to have (a few of them have definitely been worse off for going out of their way to manufacture masked antagonists, for instance).
Rogueywon

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Everybody's picked up on the Utena vibes in Witch from Mercury, but they're not the only ones in there...

C'mon, that show's got a huge G Gundam energy going. Can't be long until Suletta pulls out a Shining Finger.
AQuin1904

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:23 pm Reply with quote
MyMasterMatthew wrote:
I don't usually read reviews until after I've watched something (unless I'm really on the fence about a show), so I wanted to ask a question about the new Gundam. Does it require any prior knowledge? I recently watched the first eight or nine episodes of the original series, and I watched the first season of SD Gundam on Toonami when I was younger.

No. It's a new continuity, so you can just jump in. No need to have seen any other series.
Rogueywon

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:25 pm Reply with quote
MyMasterMatthew wrote:

No.

As a general rule, the Gundam shows set in the Universal Century (the main timeline) require you to remember something like 40 years of lore, including the backstory of every minor character who once showed up in a few frames of the original show. Universal Century is kinda like Star Wars... they've built the lore into a huge, overcomplicated mess.

Witch from Mercury is not a Universal Century show, so it's fine. No background knowledge required. Just jump right in.
GNPixie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 7:08 pm Reply with quote
AQuin1904 wrote:
although I fully expect a nosedive in the second half (because it's a split-cours Sunrise show and they all do that).

I dunno. I thought ReRise's second half was significantly better than the first and I thought Sangoku Sokuetsuden was better in its second half too (although it was fairly obvious they did retooling because of Covid.) although its arguable about World Heroes if you consider it to be the second half or not.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Deacon Blues Should of kept the hostility and condescending remarks to your Twitter account buddy. Since this has apparently been your MO in the forums for awhile, you can chill with the other moderated accounts until you figure out how interact like an adult.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
camseyeview140

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Man....Housing Complex C is ROUGH...like, I prefer it over Beast Tamer so far, but can we go one horror adjacent thing that's cribbing from Lovecraft without not having the xenophobia and racism as part of the plot? We really don't need another xenophobic AF anime...

So far, my ranking of the anime I have seen that aren't returning shows are

I'm The Villainess
Raven of the Inner Palace
My Master Has No Tail
Housing Complex C
Beast Tamer
secondkas

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:48 am Reply with quote
Yep, Gundam The Witch from Mercury definitely felt like Mecha Utena. Overall, It was really a refreshing and enjoyable watch. The prologue definitely gave it a lot of subtle emotional impact and made Suletta into more than just the quirky provincial new girl. The visuals are also amazing and hopefully the series maintains its balance of robot action, political intrigue, and endearing character interactions. Seriously, regardless of gender, Suletta and Miorine probably have the best pilot-love interest chemistry I've seen in the entire Gundam franchise (the funniest will always be Wing). Also loved the part where Miorine casually waves off Suletta's freak out; glad that we have some progress in this universe.

For Asian region watchers, I don't know if the Gundam Info schedule has been resolved, but you can also watch it on Ani-One's channel.
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 1:01 am Reply with quote
I thought all the comments I kept seeing about Witch from Mercury being Gundam Utena were overblown, but damn it has almost identical story beats and almost all the main cast feel like analogues. The main difference is probably Suletta and Miorine's personalities. I've never watched a Gundam series but I've absorbed a lot of knowledge through osmosis from friends, so I'm excited to see where this series is gonna go.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 22