• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nintendo Unveils The Super Mario Bros. Movie Animated Film's Trailer

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Heishi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:36 pm Reply with quote
Aside from his problematic viewpoints, I think Pratt will do fine.

I think he is channeling some of that Captain Lou Albino from the 1989 cartoon, which is neat. I’m very excited for this film, being a huge Mario fan and all.

I just hope Pratt can find a way to redeem himself in some way and not be the subject of some serious, I mean SERIOUS controversy. He’s being the voice of my childhood hero, after all.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:39 pm Reply with quote
I actually like Chris Pratt and think he's overhated, but his voice is literally the only thing taking me out of the trailer. Otherwise, this looked genuinely cool. Illumination actually looks like it's putting in the effort for this one, and weird celebrity casting aside (overall, not just Pratt), I hope it can be their version of Spider-Verse, or at least The Peanuts Movie.
GracieLizzy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 5:08 am Reply with quote
GracieLizzy wrote:
Chris Pratt sounds boringly generic but I quiet like everything else, anyone know who voiced the Penguin King in this?

Turns out it's Khary Paton:

https://twitter.com/kharypayton/status/1578142745188712449?s=19

I thought I recognised the voice from somewhere Very Happy
ZiharkXVI

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 6:55 am Reply with quote
It looks good. Seeing as all the comments are focused on voices...I'll just say perhaps give the movie a chance to breathe first (a short teaser isn't everything - and Pratt barely said anything). But what I focused on was all the cool visuals with what will apparently be an homage to the series. That's pretty cool. Honestly it was better than I expected. Lots of video game series disappoint me with how little they have to do with the games (thanks Detective Pikachu - Reynolds was the least of that film's problems).

Besides, I don't think I could sit through a longer version of the Super Mario Super Show. Saw enough of that when I was a kid.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 7:48 am Reply with quote
Speaking as someone not a Chris Pratt fan I feel relieved he didn’t attempt to do a potentially offensive Italian stereotype.
Raneth

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:28 am Reply with quote
I'm excited for the movie but the big booming music in the first part of the trailer felt very generic. I hope they end up using more classic Mario music in the actual movie.
tywhoppity

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:41 am Reply with quote
immblueversion wrote:
tywhoppity wrote:
So, they basically made this into another Isekai, right? Wink

Far from the first time. The idea of Mario and Luigi as Brooklynites stuck in a fantasy world goes as far back as the TV cartoon, and was brought up in a couple of spin-off games, comics, and that other movie none shall speak of. Long-time Mario VA Charles Martinet even had the prompt of a Brooklyn Italian man.

I understand Mario Lore pretty well, having played the arcade version of Donkey Kong from the earliest days. I was just making a joke, considering the plethora of Isekai clogging up the anime airwaves nowadays. Very Happy
ranran-001

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:14 am Reply with quote
Good animation, dumb voice acting cast. I'm sure the movie will make millions in ticket sales as well as merchandise. That's about all it will amount to.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 11:38 am Reply with quote
Just out of curiosity, is the Japanese dub trailer available? They have already released the trailer in several other languages, but I went to the official Nintendo YouTube channel and the trailer was in English with Japanese subtitles. Since Mario is technically a Japanese game I was curious to see if there were any famous seiyuu doing the voices, I mean it'll be interesting to see who's going to voice Mario in Japanese, don't know how Universal handles the dubbing of the Illumination movies but I heard they also tend to cast celebrities in their Japanese dubs, though there're a couple of seiyuu working as well, for example Ryusei Nakao, Mamoru Miyano, Miyuki Sawashiro, Maaya Sakamoto, Koichi Yamadera and Mayumi Tanaka worked on Secret Life of Pets and Sing
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Vanadese wrote:
You're being disingenuous here. Nobody dislikes Pratt for being Christian. In fact, it's statistically likely that the vast majority of people involved in the movie are Christian, that's just what you get in the USA. The problem is that he's a member of a notoriously anti-LGBTQ church. I don't care what religion you are; if your religious leaders have supported conversion therapy, that's a big no from me.
Pratt's church isn't even a proper Christian church, it's a hate cult masquerading as a God-loving church.

Plus, any personal views of Chris Pratt need to be checked at the door here. The Super Mario movie isn't showcasing Chris Pratt: the man and his personal lifestyle, the Super Mario movie is showcasing Chris Pratt: The actor.
thepepin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I call this "The Joker effect". Back in 2019, a movie critic made the absolutely insane claim that because "Joker" depicted a white male experiencing injustice it had an alt-right political worldview that would likely incite violence. Why was this claim insane? Because the critic in question had not seen the movie. Even though said critic walked the claims back - the first time after being reminded that "white males experiencing injustice" is the content of nearly all western entertainment and the second after actually seeing the movie - they somehow struck a chord with like minded types. The thing is ... it became untenable for them to talk about the actual reason why they disliked or were rooting against "Joker", so they contrived reasons. The most popular: "it is boring." The most legitimate-sounding: "it is a ripoff of [insert 70s/80s Scorcese film]." The most accidentally revealing of their real problems with the film? That it didn't deal with racism: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/09/movies/joker-movie-controversy.html (except that Arthur Fleck was clearly the least racist character in the movie, plus no mainstream superhero film has ever really dealt with racism, not even Superman III with Richard Pryor or Black Panther). And the most hilariously hypocritical? "It doesn't accurately or fairly depict mental illness." Yeah because Hollywood generally and comic books specifically have this long proud history of medically accurate, sympathetic and nuanced portrayals of mental illness.

So yeah. That is what is going on here. "The Internet" is angry at Chris Pratt because of politics.
Pratt goes to church.
Pratt has family members that are police and military and he is publicly supportive of both in his personal statements and in the choice of media that he produces and acts in.
Pratt failed to attend a Biden fundraiser and generally avoids taking public stances on political issues and figures.
Pratt once stated that modern Hollywood no longer makes movies about white men with blue collar/working class backgrounds similar to his own. So, it created a huge cottage industry of stuff like this: https://jezebel.com/is-chris-pratt-a-republican-i-tortured-myself-with-a-d-1845414944

Of course, you cannot come out and admit that you don't want a guy to have a career in Hollywood because he has political beliefs that are indistinguishable from like 75% of the people in his country. So, we get made-up nonsense. My favorite: the very people who are criticizing the decision to cast Chris Pratt instead of "an experienced voice actor" or "the same actor from the video games" or "an Italian-American" (the voice actor from the video games is French and Mario was played by a British actor in the live action film PLUS Nintendo claims that Mario is Japanese but who cares) and so forth LOVE the casting of Jack Black as Bowser, Charlie Day as Luigi, Keegan-Michael Key as Toad etc. Speaking of Jack Black, NONE OF THESE PEOPLE said squat to Kung-Fu Panda's voice actors not being Chinese (beyond Lucy Liu and Jackie Chan getting minor roles). None of these people said anything about the all-star cast of Kubo and the Two Strings not having a single Japanese or Japanese-American person. Also, animated movies have been using star casting for lead roles since at least the 1990s when animated movies became big business again i.e. Robin Williams in Aladdin and nobody said squat about it till now.

These folks are trying to stir up so much negative controversy over Pratt in the hopes that it will dissuade movie studios from working with him in the future. Last year there were actually comments to the effect of "if we were able to get the producers to redesign Sonic we can get them to replace Chris Pratt" on Kotaku and a bunch of other places. Sure, fine, whatever but these folks should just come clean.

Something similar to this happened a couple years back. Rosario Dawson was cast to play Ahsoka Tano. It was an outstanding choice: Dawson closely resembles an older version of the original character design, and she is an award-winning actress with decades of experience in comic, sci-fi and fantasy properties. But as Dawson was accused of being anti-LGBT by a former employee of hers, all of a sudden this same crowd decided that RIGHT NOW was the time to stand up for "overlooked voice performers" and demand that that the voice actress be given the live action role. That the very blonde Ashley Eckstein looked nothing like Ahsoka or that - again unlike Dawson - she doesn't have a "lead actress" appearance and is way too short/slender to be believable in an action role? None of those were problems that couldn't be fixed with Hollywood wizardry! That Eckstein's live action roles were few and far between - some supporting roles in kids movies and occasional guest spots in (usually kids) TV show episodes, indicating that there was absolutely no evidence that she was even capable of a lead role in a big budget sci-fi TV series? All the more evidence that she needs the opportunity and the chance to shine!
Fortunately the controversy went away when the accusations against Dawson were discredited and the lawsuit against her dismissed. But yeah, these folks were working to get Dawson fired from what was going to be her only shot at a lead role in a major production merely because a single person accused her of being anti-LGBT. Like the Chris Pratt nonsense, without even admitting that this was the real reason. And like the Chris Pratt nonsense, such people all of a sudden came to the conclusion that Dawson was never really that good as an actress anyway. Except - unlike Chris Pratt - Dawson has actually won acting awards (beyond the "Kids Choice" and "MTV Awards" popularity contests). And - unlike Chris Pratt - Dawson is a longtime vocal progressive activist! Including - get this - LGBT rights.

This stuff is actually hilarious until you realize that not everyone has the industry experience and clout that Pratt and Dawson - who are in their 40s and have been working for decades - do. Not everyone owns their own production companies as Pratt and Dawson do. It is only going to become a matter of time before Internet hate campaigns like this ruins someone's career. It is going to happen to a younger, less established actor or director, causing casting directors, producers, studios etc. to decide the controversy isn't worth hiring some unknown and just move on to the next candidate in line (of which there are plenty). When that happens this crowd will see it as a "victory" and go hunting for the next scalp, and then the next and the next after. At that point it won't be so funny anymore.

But this is how outrageous things have gotten: the CEO of Warner Bros Discovery was actually forced to publicly deny rumors that his company was for sale that are being circulated by folks so angry over his cancelling Batgirl that they are trying to do whatever they can to tank the company's stock in order to force WBD to fire him. https://www.theverge.com/2022/9/30/23381053/warner-bros-discovery-comcast-sale-merger-hbo-max
This same crowd is also trying to force Disney CEO Bob Chapek out in order to replace him with Abigail Disney. (Her qualifications for running the world's largest entertainment company beyond being the daughter and niece of Roy and Walt Disney? Beyond "executive producing" a string of documentaries and independent films, absolutely nothing ... she is a professional activist living off inherited wealth. At least Oracle CEO Larry Ellison's daughter Megan Ellison actually does run a real film, TV and video game production company, though one which hasn't had a hit in awhile.) But ... what about this crowd being against inherited wealth, opportunity and influence? Yeah, these folks aren't very consistent.
thepepin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 12:42 pm Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
Vanadese wrote:
You're being disingenuous here. Nobody dislikes Pratt for being Christian. In fact, it's statistically likely that the vast majority of people involved in the movie are Christian, that's just what you get in the USA. The problem is that he's a member of a notoriously anti-LGBTQ church. I don't care what religion you are; if your religious leaders have supported conversion therapy, that's a big no from me.
Pratt's church isn't even a proper Christian church, it's a hate cult masquerading as a God-loving church.

Chris Pratt has denied going to Hillsong.
Chris Pratt's friends and family have denied that he goes to Hillsong.
Chris Pratt's employers have denied that he goes to Hillsong.
So unless someone can A. identify the church that Pratt actually attends and B. identify what that church actually does why is this still an issue?
The reason: folks hated Pratt long before anyone cared about his church. The reason why they hate him is because his beliefs are more moderate and mainstream than they want Hollywood and anyone working in it to be. Because they don't want to come out and admit "we don't want anyone to the right of Bernie Sanders having any influence in deciding which movies and TV shows get made by Hollywood" they keep with the "he goes to Hillsong" canard. This despite the fact that not a few celebrities and Hollywood types actually do attend Hillsong. (Or at least did before it imploded in scandal.) But those people don't have the power to get major Hollywood studios to make TV shows and movies like "The Terminal List" and "The Tomorrow War" that depict the police and the U.S. military positively, so they don't get shredded in the media like Pratt's been for going on 4 years. Those people aren't the ones who get ripped on social media by folks who dishonestly claim that his posting "I thank God for my healthy daughter" (a totally routine, almost formulaic thing done by pretty much every adherent to every religion, even non-practicing/non-observant) was some sort of insult to his own son from a previous marriage! Even though Pratt makes positive posts about his son on social media all the time!

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/ellendurney/chris-pratt-addressed-healthy-daughter-and-hillsong-backlash

People who keep trying to claim that Chris Pratt has ever done anything to merit in any way the endless hate that he gets on social media are part of the problem. The people who dishonestly claimed that Chris Pratt trashed his own special needs son didn't make that claim because Chris Pratt attends Hillsong. (Which, again, he doesn't and they know this. They choose to pretend otherwise.) These people simply hate Chris Pratt and are trying their level best to make him too controversial for movie studios to hire. Meanwhile you have tons of people in entertainment (movies, TV, theater, music, athletics) that have committed actual crimes that have caused real physical and other harm people ... crickets from this crowd on that.
OjaruFan2

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Silver Kirin wrote:
Just out of curiosity, is the Japanese dub trailer available?

No, not yet. It might get released either late this year or sometime next year.

Silver Kirin also wrote:
They have already released the trailer in several other languages, but I went to the official Nintendo YouTube channel and the trailer was in English with Japanese subtitles.

A similar thing happened with the 2 live-action Sonic movies in which the first teaser trailers for both movies were in English with Japanese subtitles, followed by a trailer with the Japanese dub a few months later. It seems to be a common practice for foreign movies in Japan.

Silver Kirin also wrote:
Since Mario is technically a Japanese game I was curious to see if there were any famous seiyuu doing the voices

The companies handling the Japanese localization will definitely cast famous seiyuu. It would make sense from a marketing perspective and convenience mass-market audiences to go see the movie.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 2:46 pm Reply with quote
thepepin wrote:

The reason: folks hated Pratt long before anyone cared about his church.

Oh my God, calm down. Not everything on the planet is a conspiracy against conservative people. I promise you that virtually no one on this Earth is emotionally invested enough in Chris Pratt to "hate" him. People get tired of overexposed actors all the time. Being tired of something is not the same as hating it.

Pratt was a terrible choice to play Mario. If he were a far-left hyper-Marxist cosmonaut who was gay married to Bernie Sanders, he would still be a terrible choice to play Mario. Having a character as cartoony and over the top as Mario open his mouth only to have a normal guy's voice come out is going to be a letdown no matter what the normal guy's politics are.

The idea of "Mario Brother with ordinary voice" is so dissonant from what we're used to that it was the subject of one of Youtube's earliest parodies, a decade before this movie was even announced.

https://youtu.be/FTrZKnl6m5Y

So yeah, this isn't a "Liberal Hollywood" (lol) conspiracy. This is people reacting to a bad creative decision that doesn't fit the popular perception of a beloved character. Remember when everyone hated the original design for Movie Sonic? Was that because of a liberal conspiracy, too? Or was the design just ugly?

It's probably best if you try to cool it with the persecution fantasies. Especially when that imaginary persecution falls upon a Hollywood millionaire who gets royalties every time a Disney Plus subscriber clicks on a Guardians of the Galaxy movie. I promise you, Chris Pratt will be fine. He's not a martyr and he doesn't need your performative sympathy.

thepepin wrote:
Meanwhile you have tons of people in entertainment that have committed actual crimes that have caused real physical and other harm

Okay? What do any of these people have to do with the Mario movie? Who among the movie's cast has committed actual crimes? Was it the penguin king? I bet it was, he sounds like he's been to jail.

Last edited by Wyvern on Sat Oct 08, 2022 2:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 3:50 pm Reply with quote
thepepin wrote:
Because they don't want to come out and admit "we don't want anyone to the right of Bernie Sanders having any influence in deciding which movies and TV shows get made by Hollywood" they keep with the "he goes to Hillsong" canard. This despite the fact that not a few celebrities and Hollywood types actually do attend Hillsong. (Or at least did before it imploded in scandal.)

Considering Bernie Sanders is Jewish, your conspiracy about Bernie's politics controlling Hollywood or something is kind of creepy.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5