• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Chainsaw Man Anime's Style Feels Off

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kgw

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:05 am Reply with quote
Everybody has an opinion, so here's mine. The manga is different from the anime and vice versa. That's fine for me because scene by scene adaptations are somewhat boring.
KaidoYuji8Shinji

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:11 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
I'm not familiar with the manga, so I don't know how much the adaptation improves or demerits the material itself, but I do think the style of the show is a misfire, most notably the overall color palette. The only thing I've known about this franchise are the manga covers and they have bright, vivid, colors that clash with each other, and I expected something along those lines from the anime version. Instead I'm getting... I'm gonna call it the modern MAPPA color palette, it's all very browns, beiges, dirty yellows and dark blues. It seems too gloomy and occasionally bland for a show whose main character's head turns into a literal chainsaw. So while I find the character animation jaw-dropping, the overall visual presentation hasn't really lived up to my, admittedly, biased expectations

I agree with the MAPPA color palette comment. It seems all their shows have similar color palettes. I noticed it first going from AOT by WIT to MAPPA. and now I feel like most of their shows have the same palette and “filter”.
manuelRN

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 10:19 am Reply with quote
Why does Sean Aitchison feel the need to rip on this show and why was it published. I read articles like this on Kotaku and it bothers me. Don't watch it if you don't like it.
OldBezzy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 11:03 am Reply with quote
I think the argument in this article is highly subjective and not suited for an ANN article on the front page.

The author wanted to have neon-flashy colors in the anime because the Chainsaw Man manga covers are like that. This how the author of this article images the manga's colors should be. However, there is no link between how manga covers are colored and how manga colors should be and in fact Chainsaw Man's color pages are not so much flashy.
I personally imagined Chainsaw Man's color palette to be very close to what we have in the anime, but again is MY opinion, not something I would use to criticize an anime adaptation.I would rather criticize the script or the animation, but not the fact that the colors are different from what I expected.

Moreover, while I consider Tatsuki Fujimoto to be a great artist, he is not this new Leonardo da Vinci of the manga world, as the author's enthusiasm for his art seems to suggest. Fujimoto is talented, is skilled and he has a pretty personal style, but I think that what makes him a great mangaka are not (only) his drawings, but mostly the stories he tells. He is a great storyteller before being a great artist (which, again, he is).

Finally, I do not see what this anime adaptation lacks in its splatter scenes. I think there is plenty of splatter and I think that the combat scenes are very good.

To conclude, I think this article is poor quality. ANN can do better.
theotheranimeman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 11:14 am Reply with quote
Why is this a featured article? Can I become an ANN writer and get paid just to complain?

In my opinion, the anime adaptation vastly improved Chainsaw Man. Denji is more bearable, the fights aren't static and indecipherable anymore and the visuals look way better than anything that Fujimoto churned out in the manga. Instead of Fujimoto's flat, scratchy and boring art, we actually get some very dynamic and interesting shots. The characters' faces do look too clean and somewhat boring, I'll agree with that.

Even the fact that the humor is less accentuated is a positive for me, since most of it fell flat for me in the manga, anyway.

I could never understand why Chainsaw Man superfans hyped it up so much, even after reading the whole manga. To me it's perfectly average in every way and even lacking in a lot of aspects. However, this anime adaptation actually adds some amazing animation, poetry and depth which was never present for me in the manga, so I don't understand how someone could think it's inferior.
Philville

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 11:39 am Reply with quote
KaidoYuji8Shinji wrote:
CrowLia wrote:
I'm not familiar with the manga, so I don't know how much the adaptation improves or demerits the material itself, but I do think the style of the show is a misfire, most notably the overall color palette. The only thing I've known about this franchise are the manga covers and they have bright, vivid, colors that clash with each other, and I expected something along those lines from the anime version. Instead I'm getting... I'm gonna call it the modern MAPPA color palette, it's all very browns, beiges, dirty yellows and dark blues. It seems too gloomy and occasionally bland for a show whose main character's head turns into a literal chainsaw. So while I find the character animation jaw-dropping, the overall visual presentation hasn't really lived up to my, admittedly, biased expectations

I agree with the MAPPA color palette comment. It seems all their shows have similar color palettes. I noticed it first going from AOT by WIT to MAPPA. and now I feel like most of their shows have the same palette and “filter”.

That's the only thing that I find somwehat lacklustre in the anime adaptation, to be honest (and the MAPPA color palette you mention is what has me a little worried about the upcoming second season of Vinland Saga, which might be going the Attack on Titan route). We've had plenty of commentary in the episode reviews and discussion thread concerning the differences between the art style of the anime and the manga (which, as everyone keeps saying, are two different mediums with their own merits and disadvantages) or how efficiently CG animation is used, but it's been a long time since I've seen a series with this much visual polish and cinematic flair. The handful of episodes that have aired contain some of the most impressively animated backdrops in recent memory.

That said, I absolutely agree that the color palette is pretty drab, and it makes sense to discuss this since color is one of the main differences between a manga and its anime adaptation. You could argue that the browns and greys lend the show somewhat of a noir aesthetic but then I'm tempted to say that a recent anime like Call of the Night pulled that off much more successfully (and part of its visual impact resulted from the vibrant use of color in other scenes, creating a stark contrast).

Then again, the last episode of Chainsaw Man did offer a bit of visual variety thanks to spoiler[Aki's winter flashback] and the monotone color palette was actually thematically fitting considering that spoiler[the characters were trapped in a dreary hotel containing a devil feeding off of their sense of panic and claustrophobia]. Still, the drabness becomes all the more obvious when compared to the utterly vibrant, visually experimental ED sequences of each episode. I can't help but feel that these offer a glimpse of the kind of visual variety we could also be getting within the episodes. The latter are still part and parcel of the series, though, at least as far as I'm concerned (even if they're directed by someone else) and should be taken into consideration when talking about the anime's "style".
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Imo the images chosen do a poor job of illustrating the point being made. All of them look extremely similar to the manga and are stylistically identical. Also, I think this works better if using animated gifs rather than a still image.
AsleepBySunset

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 1:31 pm Reply with quote
MF65 wrote:

AsleepBySunset wrote:

some people think gohands looks brilliant, but I can't look through their eyes and see what looks great about gohands.

That's possibly the worse comparison you could make because I dare you to find anyone who thinks anything by gohands looks brilliant.

I chose the example because a small minority of people actually do think gohands work looks brilliant. Some people like both ufotable and gohands and mistake the two studios for eachother, you can find comments of such nature on the threads about gohands cancelled clamp project a while back. Like I said in the post, people can't look at pictures or animation through the lens of another persons eyes or subjective taste. Even if 99% of people like a studio, that doesn't make someone wrong for hating that studio (or merely disliking the studio, or wishing a different studio adapted their favourite manga), and vice versa, even in 99% of people hate a studio, it doesn't make people who like the studio wrong.
Philville

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 6:36 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
I don't think I've read a big ANN article version of the manga elitist response that happens every time a manga gets adapted before.

Sometimes I agree with that sentiment, and sometimes I don't. Doesn't seem like it is worth a big rant article when even the article acknowledges that the anime version isn't bad. Perfectly valid opinion, but at the same time, a very common opinion when it comes to anime adapted from manga that could fit in a tweet.

You're right about the subjective nature of all of this, but then again (as I forgot to mention in my previous post) the point of this site is not to "fit" its content into "tweets"; this contribution is clearly what's known as an "opinion piece" in journalism, and there's no reason to believe that this is representative of the views of ANN as a whole (though I think some sort of disclaimer at the top would certainly help to dispel that notion). There's no reason why it shouldn't appear on the front page as long as it's clear that this is just one author's opinion. I don't think it's very accurate to label this as a "rant" either given that it goes out of its way to praise certain aspects of the animation.
Zimmer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Manga is better, and I never expected the anime to surpass it. It's still good though. But how much of that is just because the sauce is good?
doTheLaundy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:25 pm Reply with quote
"Feels off"

Not a big deal. Just enjoy what's available. The quality of animation is there. Maybe try to experience doing key animations and look at it again.
KaiserNeko

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 10:26 pm Reply with quote
I'm frustrated to see the a lot of the responses to the article, completely misunderstanding the nature of Sean Aitchison's critique.

It's absolutely fine for the adaptation to differentiate itself from the source material. Hunter X Hunter's 1999 run did a lot of interesting things that set it apart from its original manga, but a lot of people find a lot to love there. Same can be said for the original Ghost in the Shell film.

But one of the issues I think for some people, including myself, is that this approach is losing some of the things we feel are critical to the Chainsaw Man experience. Its slow, somber nature, muted color palette, and cinematic influence is taking away from the grittier, more audacious feel of the manga. In turn, its story elements-- a lot of which are straddle the line between goofy and horrifying-- feel too self-serious and monotone.

It's an impeccably well made anime, from top notch directors and animators who have an unbelievable eye for cinematography, scene composition, etc. But it genuinely feels like its opening and endings are capturing its source material better than the actual show is.

And opinion pieces like this article-- and lets be frank, we all agree that's all it is, including the author-- are completely acceptable. It's also acceptable to disagree. But to trash them for expressing that opinion at all and act like they're disrespecting the creators-- which they absolutely are not-- is absurd to me. And to act like they think any deviation from the manga is immediately a negative is similarly absurd.

Last edited by KaiserNeko on Sat Nov 19, 2022 11:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
kotomikun

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2022 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Sean wrote:
Finally, and perhaps most importantly, the gory action feels less impactful—the movement is animated spectacularly, but the splatter (both of blood and kinetic linework) is missing. Comparisons between the anime and manga show that the gory scenes and blood splatter feel not as deep into the depths and dregs of despair, the etching quality of Fujimoto's horror art lost in translation.

Well, that... sure does sum up my complete lack of interest in Chainsaw Man. Comparing scenes from the manga and anime to determine why the latter's gory violence feels insufficiently disturbing--and ranking this discrepancy as the most relevant one--is something I just can't imagine doing.

Given the fact that some people don't like this series at all (there are dozens of us!), it should at least be easy enough for the rest of you to see why someone might like the manga more than the anime.
JazzyBeat

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 2:33 am Reply with quote
As a manga reader, I think the anime is great. CSM as a series isn’t the masterpiece that some people claim it is, but I enjoyed it
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 8:13 pm Reply with quote
Philville wrote:

You're right about the subjective nature of all of this, but then again (as I forgot to mention in my previous post) the point of this site is not to "fit" its content into "tweets"; this contribution is clearly what's known as an "opinion piece" in journalism, and there's no reason to believe that this is representative of the views of ANN as a whole (though I think some sort of disclaimer at the top would certainly help to dispel that notion).

No it won’t.

For as much as the general consensus has been the writer is complaining over nothing. You ironically have those same people complaining about the writer’s complaints and the usual of “Why was this article posted on this site routine?” that’s usually reserved for stuff that people bemoan isn’t anime or manga related.

Eventhough the article ironically enough is anime/manga related.

manuelRN wrote:
Why does Sean Aitchison feel the need to rip on this show and why was it published. I read articles like this on Kotaku and it bothers me. Don't watch it if you don't like it.

Because in case you’ve been living under a rock or your brain can’t process the concept ANN in addition to covering announcement of adaptations, covering video games, anime conventions, etc they also have opinion pieces that yes you can disagree with if you don’t agree with the points and observations made in said articles.

Also by the same token if you don’t like the idea of people criticizing something for a reason even if you don’t think it’s warranted. Them don’t come to the site or read the article in question.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5