• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(The) Angel Next Door Spoils Me Rotten (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Episode 9 Anyway, I thought I'd post this before Edjwald comes in here and makes some typically inappropriate remark

Don't try to distract attention away from the real tragedy here. You've practically been been yelling yourself hoarse with your crass complaints that Mahiru and Amane haven't given in to carnal lust, and now? She's stroking his cheeks while he's asleep and looking at what are clearly nude pictures of him sent by his mother! I hope you're happy you...you...provacateur!

Mahiru...Amane...slow down! You're young! You have plenty of time!
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Whoa... if you ever quit being a Jailhouse Lawyer, you certainly have a bright future as a Spin Doctor. Although, granted, those images of them holding hands was pretty racy...
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 5:30 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Episode 9

Well that's something I don't think I've ever seen in an anime before. A couple are out and about but then are separated for a bit. Two or more strangers approach one of them and suggest that they all "go somewhere" together. The ass-kickah this time? Instead of the femme getting hit on by a couple of douches, it's the guy getting approached. The remainder of this quote was excised in order to avoid another attempt to explain the concept of real life on this thread.

I'm pretty sure Amane's bangs are like Clark Kent's glasses. Whenever there's a job for super sexy man, he sweeps them aside and springs into action, The last time he combed his hair and went strolling with Mahiru on New Years Day, the females in his school were talking about the mysterious, super handsome guy that Mahiru was spotted with. I don't recall any of them talking specifically about the mysterious man's Adonis-like left brow, but he must have the frontal lobes of a god.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 7:44 am Reply with quote
Ah, good eye. Personally, I don't see the big deal myself, but I am a notoriously unreliable judge of male anime horseflesh... unless I'm watching a reverse harem show. Then, generally, even I can tell that those dudes are purdy.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 8:53 am Reply with quote
I wondered about Amane's change in appearance when I read this part. It sounds more impressive in text than they were able to show on screen. Apparently it was the use of hair gel and a comb as well as a change in clothing that made him unrecognizable. We are talking about a guy that wears a hoodie as part of his school uniform and combs his hair with his fingers. This is a literal interpretation of "you clean up nice".

I've seen the bit with a hoodie in several anime or manga and always wondered how that got past supposedly strict uniform guidelines.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:49 am Reply with quote
Didja y'all clock the disappointed look on the Angel's face when Wimp-kun didn't end up kissing her in that "accidental" clinch on his sofa? Poor girl is gagging for it, I tells ya. Hopefully, she'll run into a REAL man one of these days instead of Mr. "I Wuz Bullied So Now I Have No Confidence, Waaah-Waaah."

Hmmm, I *think* I have fulfilled my daily "Posting Like a Jerk" quota, but I'm not quite sure...
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 10:16 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
I've seen the bit with a hoodie in several anime or manga and always wondered how that got past supposedly strict uniform guidelines.

In real life, it most likely wouldn't, but anime and manga like doing things that are different from the way that things happen in real Japanese schools. One of the other things that also goes against real life is the roof of schools being open for the students to use.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 8:10 pm Reply with quote
@Beltane70

Those flat roofed concrete schools are apparently a post war thing. I suspect the roof area was originally available for students. It would only have been when students started practicing competitive high diving and bombing the landing that it seemed like a bad idea. I mean, the stereotype had to come from somewhere.
A Mystery

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 2:01 am Reply with quote
Loving this show. The two leads are not only fun together, but I especially love how much respect they have for each other and their boundaries. And there are two other healthy fun couples too! One being actually present parents! Though someone should make a joke that they are actually just an older brother and sister Wink, since they look so young for their age.
I picked it up a little later, because the preview reviews on ANN were quite negative.
Also, loving the replies in this thread.
Let's hope Amane will finally tell Mahiru about his past in the next two episodes. I can wait for spoiler[the kiss] but it would be nice if that problem is resolved before the season is over, for a satisfying ending and the promise of more romance. If you look back at the first two episodes though, the difference in body language and distance between the leads is quite big.

The crunchy replies are always about how sweet this show is (causing diabetes). I agree, it's a really fun and warm show.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 4:58 am Reply with quote
A Mystery wrote:
Let's hope Amane will finally tell Mahiru about his past in the next two episodes. I can wait for spoiler[the kiss] but it would be nice if that problem is resolved before the season is over, for a satisfying ending and the promise of more romance.

A Mystery - Acch! Not looking at that spoiler is killing me! Is it just speculation? It didn't sound like you're one of the light novel readers.

Anyway, I agree, Amane opening up about his past should be the crack that finally breaks the ice...or the glacier. Right now things aren't equal cos she's told him all about her past and he's still playing the recluse card.

And yah, I hope the series ends with at least some sense of closure too. I have no idea what the prospects of a season 2 are.

A Mystery wrote:
If you look back at the first two episodes though, the difference in body language and distance between the leads is quite big.

The crunchy replies are always about how sweet this show is (causing diabetes). I agree, it's a really fun and warm show.

Some cold, rainy day after this anime season is over, I plan to watch the series over en toto.

And yah, it's my favorite romance show this season, personally.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 7:08 am Reply with quote
Hello, A Mystery! This show has completely justified its existence if it inspired you to make a rare post. Hope all is wel with you.
A Mystery

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:50 am Reply with quote
All is well! I've been making more progress in romance... though that wouldn't be fair to the leads. I didn't hold hands with guys when I was a teen Very Happy .
And wait... they might still be baby ducks in some aspects, but they don't have to drive an hour to meet their loved one. They cook dinner together everyday! But I invited my partner to my home so soonnnn...
Edjwald

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 4:56 am Reply with quote
A Mystery wrote:
And wait... they might still be baby ducks in some aspects, but they don't have to drive an hour to meet their loved one. They cook dinner together everyday! But I invited my partner to my home so soonnnn...

Well, as long as you have a big square pillow handy in case you need to blush...

Heh. Can you imagine what it would be like if instead of a book called Everything I Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten, it was Everything I Needed to Know I Learned in Anime?

You'd wind up like :::::::::::suddenly recalls all the conversations with Blood on this thread::::::

Um...never mind. (cough). Anyway, hour long commutes aren't so bad...
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:02 am Reply with quote
Edjwald wrote:
:::::::::::suddenly recalls all the conversations about real life vs fantasy with Blood on this thread::::::

Ah, I see you recall our special bonding time as fondly as I do, eh, Edjwald? Right? RIGHT?!?
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:48 am Reply with quote
Special Bonding Time that is a funny way to refer to the time you were duct taped to a dumpster.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7