• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Sugar Apple Fairy Tale

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zfunk

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2023 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:

There are other important women, they just so happen to be dead Razz (or glued to Jonas, which might be the same as being dead)

Speaking of Jones, I thought after the first arc, I thought he was going the Guel from Witches from Mercury direction. But instead of that being this low point so he can pick himself up and grow, instead he doubles down on the duchness. He is no Guel, who has grown to be one of my favorites, even though he is probably going to die.
ab2143

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I also can’t bring myself to trust Kieth/Keith either
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 4:47 pm Reply with quote
I think most people would readily assume Kieth is Jonas 2.0 but the way he acted around Challe and talked about Anne behind closed doors tells me he's genuine, especially as far as relating his respect for her mother.

Although if this is what the Radcliffe School is like in general, it's not wonder Jonas is as messed up as he is.
Juno016

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2023 1:06 pm Reply with quote
I don't consider myself ignorant of many of the inherent flaws of the show, or incapable of giving a complex story analysis of the characters and worldbuilding every episode, but similar to my first impression, I just have to say-

Everyone is hot and I still want Challe to pin me against a wall.

I'm still enjoying this series for all the giddy romantic bits and melodrama. It feels like a lot of the story's themes, while rounded well for their own sake, are in service of writing a romance plot meant to test and have fun with Anne and Challe's relationship while giving us many an opportunity for those sweet nothings. I could be biased here, but that's how it feels to me. I miss this kind of blatant sweet, but hard romantic fanservice in anime. If anyone has any other recommendations for anime like it in the past half decade or so, I'd like to know.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2023 4:55 pm Reply with quote
I think Wolf Girl and Black Prince maybe has that dynamic? I'll know better after I read the manga. In fact, I can think of a lot more manga that came out in the last decade or so that have that romance dynamic if you're interested.
zfunk

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Annie: There are no other women here.

Only 10 episodes in and she just noticed there are hardly any other human women in the show.
ab2143

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:37 am Reply with quote
I have a feeling Bridget wanted to be a candy artisan but was denied. It would explain her animosity towards poor Anne. Of course, I’m certainly not excusing Bridget’s behaviour

Rolled my eyes when Anne looked away just before Challe pushed Bridget away…I also hope the misunderstanding-based drama is quickly resolved.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:23 am Reply with quote
For me the most enduring mystery of this show is...

...why does Kieth misspell his name? Suspicious.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:58 am Reply with quote
zfunk wrote:
Annie: There are no other women here.

Only 10 episodes in and she just noticed there are hardly any other human women in the show.

Well, there was the queen and the innkeeper, but other than Anne's mom we hadn't seen any other female Silver Sugar Artisans.

Was not expecting the sexism to date back to this worlds' Adam and Eve story, which also seems connected to why fairies are seen as a lesser species.
ab2143 wrote:
I have a feeling Bridget wanted to be a candy artisan but was denied. It would explain her animosity towards poor Anne. Of course, I’m certainly not excusing Bridget’s behaviour

Rolled my eyes when Anne looked away just before Challe pushed Bridget away…I also hope the misunderstanding-based drama is quickly resolved.

She definitely looked kind of wistful to me while she was watching Anne work, but she's too prideful in her position to actually admit it so she lashes out at Anne...but she still craves a fantasy so she also latches onto Challe.

I guess it wouldn't be a Shojo romance without the main pairing getting jealous over a misunderstanding.
Aerdra

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Kieth (that spelling hurts me)

This one's on Crunchyroll's subtitles, because the URL of his character page on the official website spells his name "Keith".
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:21 am Reply with quote
Thinking on it, most of this series has been Anne trying to survive in a male-dominated society out to get her or screw with her because she just so happens to be a woman really good at what's seen as a traditionally male profession...men have stolen from her, left her for dead, blackmailed her, practically held her hostage, and then tried to burn her hand and then kick her out for telling the truth.

But I guess she's got Challe so it evens out.
Aerdra

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Earlier, Jonas convinced the Radcliffe Workshop that he was a victim when in fact he was the perpetrator. Now, Jonas is being punished by the Radcliffe Workshop for an incident that he actually tried to prevent. Not sure if I'm supposed to feel bad for him or take satisfaction in the irony of the situation.
zfunk

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 6:10 pm Reply with quote
So episode 10 of the English dub is out, and Jonas uncle is voiced by Christopher Sabat, I guess Jonas is more like Guel from Mercury Witch than I thought, though Jonas is way behind of Guel as far as character development is concerned.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Ep12- Well, this right here is what good dramatic writing looks like! Unlike another show this season I could mention, the writer set up and followed through on a very hard choice on the part of Challe and hard choices for most of those around Anne, even including her "antagonist". No "fairy tale" endings yet, but I can hardly wait for the second cour to see how all this resolves...
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:25 pm Reply with quote
I think Bridget probably shot up there as probably everyone's least favorite character by the end of this episode, which is saying something in an anime where so many characters are rude or screw over Anne, but Bridget ultimately stole the one thing that mattered more to Anne than winning the exhibition, her dream.

Thank goodness we're getting a part 2 or I would be raging right now. I'm guessing what's next for Anne is finding some way to get Challe back, though I'm not sure how she's going to do it. I hope we don't have to spend an entire season of the two apart or Challe stuck with Bridget.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5