• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Sugar Apple Fairy Tale Season 2

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2023 3:27 am Reply with quote
In the ceiling dome of the church (ep 16), there is a stained glass depiction of a duel between a blond human knight and a redheaded warrior fairy. I wonder if that commemorates the defeat of the Fairy King, or of Lafalle's enslavement, which apparently happened almost as long ago?
zfunk

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2023 7:18 pm Reply with quote
It is so sad what is going to happen to Lusul.

You know I thought we were going to get a time skip to Anne as an old lady on her death bed, but I guess this ending is better.

All and all still a good ending point.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2023 7:27 pm Reply with quote
They really stuffed all the action (and the animation budget) into this one final arc, eh? Surprisingly satisfying action sequences for what's largely been a slow-paced drama.

Seeing Jonas easily accepted into the wider group without ever confronting his attempted murder still feels weird.
Lord Seth

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2023 10:24 pm Reply with quote
The review says there are twelve books in the series... aren't there eighteen? That's what Wikipedia tells me, at least.

NeverConvex wrote:
Seeing Jonas easily accepted into the wider group without ever confronting his attempted murder still feels weird.

Unless I'm forgetting something, I don't think Jonas was trying to kill Anne. He knew that she had a super strong warrior fairy to protect her. His goal wasn't to kill her, but to distract said warrior fairy for long enough that he could get away, which worked. Of course, his plan had a reasonable probability of ending up with Anne dead, so it is true to say he didn't particularly care if she died, but I don't think he was specifically trying to kill her. Still a bit weird for him to be accepted like that, admittedly.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2023 6:19 am Reply with quote
Lord Seth wrote:
The review says there are twelve books in the series... aren't there eighteen? That's what Wikipedia tells me, at least.

Looks like I got it confused with Mikawa's other series. There are sixteen main story volumes, plus two gaiden books. Embarassed
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2023 7:00 am Reply with quote
Lord Seth wrote:
Unless I'm forgetting something, I don't think Jonas was trying to kill Anne. He knew that she had a super strong warrior fairy to protect her. His goal wasn't to kill her, but to distract said warrior fairy for long enough that he could get away, which worked. Of course, his plan had a reasonable probability of ending up with Anne dead, so it is true to say he didn't particularly care if she died, but I don't think he was specifically trying to kill her. Still a bit weird for him to be accepted like that, admittedly.

Ah, yeah -- that could absolutely be the case; I would have to go back and re-watch that scene to be sure. But, also, yes, would still think his acceptance so easily has been super weird Laughing
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2023 10:17 am Reply with quote
I was hoping for a sakuga-filled final battle sequence between Challe and Lafalle, but I guess he's just going to vanish so he can menace Challe and Anne in the future. No body = not dead. I guess he lost in every way that mattered anyways.

Though some damage was still done. It seems like his comments on Anne and Challe's relationship has prevented them from being honest with each other and admit they're in love. I guess that's probably my only sore point with the finale, though it does make a compelling reason to read the novels just to get a proper romantic resolution between the two (assuming the author can't keep this slow-burn going for the rest of the high volume count of this series despite how obvious their love for each other is). I can only imagine how long Challe can hold off on kissing Anne on the lips.

I'm glad things worked out for the Paige workshop but I'm also not surprised Anne wants to go back to basics traveling with Challe and Mithril and cutting her own path.

Bridget's character development finally chipping in was great to see. Did Elliot genuinely love her? Though I guess she really did love Orland. I'd been suspecting as much.

This was a very beautiful, colorful, and enjoyable fantasy and romance series. We were lucky to get two seasons of it as it is, but I'd love to watch more of Anne and Challe together in the future. With the way Shojo anime seem to be picking up lately, maybe there is a chance.
poltroon

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2023 11:01 am Reply with quote
This series had so many promising aspects - I especially like Challe - but also so many incredibly wrong moments.

Time is incredibly short, as is the silver sugar - but there's time for anything the plot decides might be more interesting. Anne leaves the workshop to seek help, no big deal; at the end they make an even more elaborate confection with all the spare time and materials they had left over.

Anne makes bad decision after bad decision. Not just compassionate ones, just plain bad ones. I was constantly wincing.

The whole removing a fairy's wing makes so little sense. These wings aren't functional? Apparently they can't be reattached? The emphasis on beauty that is made in the story kind of glosses over all the other points. The fairy who removes her own wing regrets it because it's beautiful, not because she's permanently set herself up to be controlled by anyone who holds it.

I kept hoping Bridget would get redemption - obviously she wants to learn and help with silver sugar - but alas. All we get is "maybe you don't have to marry that guy." Which is a good start, but she's left still with only being an accessory to some other dude.

Finally, I can't get past Anne's dress, which seems to have a collar disconnected from the rest of it, is the only thing she ever wears, and is hideously impractical for everything she does.

I watched every episode but it could have been so much better.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4