• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - The Rise and Evolution of Old Classic Dubs

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mgree0032

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
There has been plenty of censorship in foreign Sailor Moon dubs. The French dub changed it so Haruka was a man in his civilian form but turned into a girl when he transformed. The Italian dub made the Three Lights male and had them call upon their twin sisters when they transformed into the Sailor Starlights. The German dub made Zoisite and Fisheye both female and localized it so Usagi ate hamburgers instead of odangos. There were more faithful dubs in other countries but it's misleading to claim none of them had any censorship or localization changes.
What are your thoughts on the Glitter Force dubs?
1dbad

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 5:40 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Except it was pretty common in English dubs at the time to give characters accents to either kinda sorta match the accent they may have had in Japan or just give them random accents like Funimation giving characters Irish accents despite said characters not being Irish in the original dub or human.

Jounouchi and Bakura didn't have any accents in the original version. In fact, the characters that actually did have accents in the Japanese (like Ryusaki/Rex and Ryota/Mako), 4Kids failed to localize.

NJ_ wrote:
NIS America got in the way because at some point, they renewed the license and released the show's standard edition DVD set in 2020 plus they're the ones who supplied Netflix with what they got.

Thanks for clearing that up! I was aware of the NIS America release but thought it had happened before the Clear Card dub. Anime smile + sweatdrop

NJ_ wrote:
It hasn't been seen anywhere legally since it's TV broadcast in the UK and Toei not doing anything with it since hasn't helped matters.

Why Toei doesn't stream the dub on Crunchyroll is beyond me. Hopefully now that Discotek has a good working relationship with Toei, it'll lead to something. Toei does seem to realize there is an audience for subbed Precure now, based on the simulcasts.

NJ_ wrote:
Yeah, they were referring to Kyatto Ninden Teyandee & Monster Farm's DVDs. A bit of a shame because the current team probably would have fixed whatever issues those DVDs had previously, especially on the video quality front (see Monster Farm having too much crammed on those 8 DVDs with 9-10 episodes a disc).

Wasn't aware there were issues with the DVDs. That could've been a factor behind the poor sales as well.

lemurs wrote:
Discotek actually covered the impossibility of bringing in the original actors to "fill in the gaps" in a cut series after the fact in one of their streams. Not only are people often not available but their voices change over time and aren't a match for the original.

Even if that were the case, wouldn't it have been better to use what they could salvage of the original dub and just use Canada's talent pool for any needed recasts?
mgree0032

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 6:53 pm Reply with quote
What I don’t understand is that why no one rescued the license to Smile Precure just yet. It needs a redub this instance.
YagamiBlackstone255

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
YagamiBlackstone255 wrote:

I hope you arent implying "Well all these countries ALSO butchered Sailor Moon!" No just NO! If you checked out these dubs past the openings you would see they are amazingly faithful. DiC is the Odd One Out here. Even the Latin American dub where Usagi was called Serena and used the rest of the DiC names, was amazingly faithful and the Spain dub was also a great dub despite calling Sailor Moon "Guerrero Luna" (A gramatically wrong way of saying Warrior Moon.)
There has been plenty of censorship in foreign Sailor Moon dubs. The French dub changed it so Haruka was a man in his civilian form but turned into a girl when he transformed. The Italian dub made the Three Lights male and had them call upon their twin sisters when they transformed into the Sailor Starlights. The German dub made Zoisite and Fisheye both female and localized it so Usagi ate hamburgers instead of odangos. There were more faithful dubs in other countries but it's misleading to claim none of them had any censorship or localization changes. Even just recently the Portuguese dub of Sailor Moon Crystal censored all of the scenes of Haruka and Michiru's relationship whic caused backlash from fans.

There is CENSORSHIP. But not BUTCHERY. Dont put words in my mouth. There is no reescoring. There is no episode merging. I knew about Italy but that's still far from what the DiC dub. The closest to butchery are Italy (And only in the Final season) and Korea (It's hilarious to see how much of each girl's transformation is them looping the same poses over and over.)

EDIT: Okay you win with the French dub, that's butchery alright. In my defense I didn't know. But it still is a mostly faithful dub otherwise. And I said DiC dub anyway so if France didn't maul Seasons 1 and 2 it still fared a lot better. No Rescoring. No episode merging.
mgree0032

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 8:21 pm Reply with quote
What I don’t understand is that why no one rescued the license to Smile Precure just yet. It needs a redub this instance.
YagamiBlackstone255

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 8:48 pm Reply with quote
mgree0032 wrote:

It is because fans are so set in stone that Precure will never get another dub that they outright put their heads in the sand and REFUSE to ask Toei for a new dub of the newer seasons or a redub of the Glitter Force ones. Nothing will ever happen if fans dont movilize and tell Toei what they want but they operate under the logic that it is hopeless to try so they dont.

Also I've seen you around here in this thread and you seem to think people hate 4kids just because, and like other butchered dubs due to "hypocrisy". No. They hate them because their dubs are REALLY mediocre outside of Pokemon, Yugioh and Shaman King. Their more mediocre dubs deserve everything negative they get and more. Say whatever you want tabout the DiC dub of Sailor Moon, it is a butchery but there is still plenty to like and the episode where "Neflyte" dies is very well made, with the Goofy Molly showing she can actually act.

If people operated under the logic you think they'd do Glitter Force would be a hit and everyone would love it.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 9:23 pm Reply with quote
I grew up watching Digimon, so to see it finally get a proper release warms my cynical 34 year old heart.

Say whatever you want about the DiC dub of Sailor Moon, it is a butchery but there is still plenty to like and the episode where "Neflyte" dies is very well made, with the Goofy Molly showing she can actually act.

That episode was surprisingly faithful in terms of DIC dub standards.
YagamiBlackstone255

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 9:35 pm Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
I grew up watching Digimon, so to see it finally get a proper release warms my cynical 34 year old heart.

Say whatever you want about the DiC dub of Sailor Moon, it is a butchery but there is still plenty to like and the episode where "Neflyte" dies is very well made, with the Goofy Molly showing she can actually act.

That episode was surprisingly faithful in terms of DIC dub standards.

I know. The DiC dub had two sets of dub writers, a very faithful team who used Sailor Moon original "In the name of the moon I'll Punish you!" phrase and another who used "And that means YOU!" and you could tell the first was the better one and that the episode would be butchered if it was written by the latter team. The Death of Neflyte episode is so good its the one version I watch constantly otherwise its the Latin American dub.
Haterater

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 11:52 pm Reply with quote
It was wonderful going through memory lane here. Some of the anime here weren't as bad as I remembered and I did like many voices/localization choices for somethings. Cardcaptor Sakura, I appreciate that there was a dub of it, as it was better than none.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2023 2:43 am Reply with quote

EDIT: Okay you win with the French dub, that's butchery alright. In my defense I didn't know. But it still is a mostly faithful dub otherwise. And I said DiC dub anyway so if France didn't maul Seasons 1 and 2 it still fared a lot better. No Rescoring. No episode merging.
The Malaysian English dub they did of the Doom Tree arc by the same folks who brought us the Speedy DBZ dub was pretty infamous for rescoring the dub with copyrighted movie scores they most certainly didn't pay to have the rights to use. The 90s English dub had stopped doing rescores entirely by S but even the edited versions of the movies retained some of the Japanese score. But even most diehard haters of the DiC dub will gladly admit the music and songs was probably the best part of the DiC dub and that some of the DiC dub songs were better than the Japanese songs like My Only Love and the Power of Love.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2023 3:04 am Reply with quote
Oh there are absolutely Sailor Moon fans that clamor for the DiC dub. Just like Digimon, that dub has a legitimate nostalgic fanbase. Just because Viz faithfully redubbed the series doesn’t mean everyone wants to forget all about that version. Look at the recent fan effort to have the score released.

These dubs (yes, even Digimon) were trashed by hardcore fans on the internet decades ago, but it’s been so long that there are adults who grew up with these shows that want to watch them how they remember. That’s pretty much where I am with Dragon Ball Z, which I guess is a more minor case since the old FUNimation dub has no cuts or visual edits on video (not counting the even older Saban era dub that I have less attachment to); it just had a very liberal script and, originally, a changed score, but it says something when an alternate audio track with that score is still included on video releases and the raw tracks have official releases on Spotify, etc.

Even 4Kids dubs have their nostalgic fans. People my age grew up with Yu-Gi-Oh, Shaman King, Sonic X, and others, and fondly remember watching them on Saturday mornings. Their One Piece dub’s reputation is pretty hard to overcome, but no doubt there’s someone out there that wants to watch it.

I fully accept that these dubs are products of their time, and know exactly what I’m watching, but that doesn’t mean I can’t enjoy them for what they are.

We’re definitely past the days of needing these kinds of dubs for most shows, but I can still see them happening for toyetic ones like Beyblade, Bakugan, etc. Seriously, how many adults are clamoring to watch those in Japanese? But shows like My Hero Academia that appeal to kids and adult anime fans? Definitely not. That’s the kind of show that would’ve absolutely been butchered by 4Kids or Saban 20 years ago.
mgree0032

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2023 3:32 am Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
Oh there are absolutely Sailor Moon fans that clamor for the DiC dub. Just like Digimon, that dub has a legitimate nostalgic fanbase. Just because Viz faithfully redubbed the series doesn’t mean everyone wants to forget all about that version. Look at the recent fan effort to have the score released.

These dubs (yes, even Digimon) were trashed by hardcore fans on the internet decades ago, but it’s been so long that there are adults who grew up with these shows that want to watch them how they remember. That’s pretty much where I am with Dragon Ball Z, which I guess is a more minor case since the old FUNimation dub has no cuts or visual edits on video (not counting the even older Saban era dub that I have less attachment to); it just had a very liberal script and, originally, a changed score, but it says something when an alternate audio track with that score is still included on video releases and the raw tracks have official releases on Spotify, etc.

Even 4Kids dubs have their nostalgic fans. People my age grew up with Yu-Gi-Oh, Shaman King, Sonic X, and others, and fondly remember watching them on Saturday mornings. Their One Piece dub’s reputation is pretty hard to overcome, but no doubt there’s someone out there that wants to watch it.

I fully accept that these dubs are products of their time, and know exactly what I’m watching, but that doesn’t mean I can’t enjoy them for what they are.

We’re definitely past the days of needing these kinds of dubs for most shows, but I can still see them happening for toyetic ones like Beyblade, Bakugan, etc. Seriously, how many adults are clamoring to watch those in Japanese? But shows like My Hero Academia that appeal to kids and adult anime fans? Definitely not. That’s the kind of show that would’ve absolutely been butchered by 4Kids or Saban 20 years ago.
You’re absolutely correct about that. You tell those people that those hack dubs are really important of bringing anime and foreign films to America back in the day.
onpufan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2023 4:42 am Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:

Technically speaking there's no real difference quality wise between something like Yu-Gi-Oh and One Piece's dub. They both do the exact same thing: replaced music, skipped episodes, silly censorship, changed plot points. I think the only difference is One Piece had been out longer so it had aired around 200 episodes aired by the time the 4Kids dub premiered so it had an established fanbase to complain about it. I remember when people got their hopes up because 4Kids had a promo with an English version of We Are and thought it wouldn't suffer the same fate as Yu-Gi-Oh and their other works since they had never dubbed and used the original music before for a show. But by the time the dub actually aired we got the famous rap theme instead. Meanwhile, Yu-Gi-Oh's dub was only about a year behind the Japanese airing so like 50ish episodes. But I vividly remember the subs for it back in the day and the people who hated the dub, but it also wasn't as established like One Piece and their later acquisitions. I think One Piece's premier was around the time fansubbed anime was really taking off so anything that came during that era got hit with a lot more criticism and furor compared to stuff from the 90s and early 2000s where there were more people who were first exposed to the series through the dubs rather than subs.
NJ_

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2023 4:47 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Even just recently the Portuguese dub of Sailor Moon Crystal censored all of the scenes of Haruka and Michiru's relationship whic caused backlash from fans.

These are the main things Biggs censored there

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PbzhLOqgyk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpQE_j8Kfjk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVHcE7sPJn0

The complaints got so bad that it hit news outlets so Biggs pulled the rest of the show until 6 months later when they aired the uncut version on a late-night time slot.

As someone who watched seasons 1 & 2 of that dub, everything was fine there (aside from some attack name issues that ended up getting "fixed" in reairings) but it was with season 3 when Biggs started cutting things.

1dbad wrote:
Thanks for clearing that up! I was aware of the NIS America release but thought it had happened before the Clear Card dub. Anime smile + sweatdrop

The show's license was announced weeks before Viz announced Sailor Moon so yeah, 2014.

Quote:
Why Toei doesn't stream the dub on Crunchyroll is beyond me. Hopefully now that Discotek has a good working relationship with Toei, it'll lead to something. Toei does seem to realize there is an audience for subbed Precure now, based on the simulcasts.

My guess with Toei, it's because of the lack of full rights.

See World Trigger, it wasn't because Crunchyroll have been streaming the sub the whole time that they got season 1's dub but because they picked up video rights 6 years later (with Sentai putting it out on Blu-ray on Crunchyroll's behalf), meanwhile with seasons 2 & 3, those rights are separate hence why Toei still has those dubs locked to VoD services.

Quote:
Wasn't aware there were issues with the DVDs. That could've been a factor behind the poor sales as well.

I recall reading some complaints over sub translations on fan sites but I think it was due to using what Japan gave them for sub scripts which considering one of them was TMS (Monster Farm), wasn't surprising since there had been similar issues with the old Lupin sub streams unlike the Discotek sets which updated them.
mgree0032

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2023 5:41 am Reply with quote
onpufan wrote:
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:

Technically speaking there's no real difference quality wise between something like Yu-Gi-Oh and One Piece's dub. They both do the exact same thing: replaced music, skipped episodes, silly censorship, changed plot points. I think the only difference is One Piece had been out longer so it had aired around 200 episodes aired by the time the 4Kids dub premiered so it had an established fanbase to complain about it. I remember when people got their hopes up because 4Kids had a promo with an English version of We Are and thought it wouldn't suffer the same fate as Yu-Gi-Oh and their other works since they had never dubbed and used the original music before for a show. But by the time the dub actually aired we got the famous rap theme instead. Meanwhile, Yu-Gi-Oh's dub was only about a year behind the Japanese airing so like 50ish episodes. But I vividly remember the subs for it back in the day and the people who hated the dub, but it also wasn't as established like One Piece and their later acquisitions. I think One Piece's premier was around the time fansubbed anime was really taking off so anything that came during that era got hit with a lot more criticism and furor compared to stuff from the 90s and early 2000s where there were more people who were first exposed to the series through the dubs rather than subs.
Rave Master was hit with a hack dub too, but no one complained about that because it was a Union dub and it had Tom Kenny and everyone loves Tom Kenny.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10