• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Lucky ☆ Star!

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ramadahl

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:23 pm Reply with quote
hentai4me wrote:
References like that scare me...To actually notice that kind of thing you'd have to be pretty obsessive...

Well, it is a show aimed at otaku Wink
I'm sure I've missed loads of references, but hey, it's still a fun show. It's been a while since I saw some decent quiet comedy.
jetz

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Wolverine Princess wrote:
Amasa wrote:
Someone else out there has to be reminded of Madonna's Lucky Star every time this title is mentioned.

I didn’t even know that song existed until I did a search on YouTube for Lucky Star parodies a few days ago and found the music video for it on accident. Have I been hiding under a rock not to have heard of it before? Anime smile + sweatdrop

That happened to me too.. I was surprised to find results showing Madonna.. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Furudanuki

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:29 pm Reply with quote
hentai4me wrote:
References like that scare me...To actually notice that kind of thing you'd have to be pretty obsessive...you'd have to first of all remember that Tanaguchi even said that (and it's hardly one of the more memorable lines in SHnY) then you'd have to realise that the VA is the same guy (and I bet most people don't check up who the staff and cast is on a show, instead they rely upon recognition on the spot) then you'd have to assume that the words used are actually a direct reference rather than just a good or widely accepted way of saying/expressing that (if there were loads of ways of saying it but they specifically chose that for example).

Now if the reference was for a famous quote or something then fine, for example I often liken the internet to one of the most Imperial places on Earth, for good reason.

Odd, I found the scene where Tanaguchi walked in on Kyon and Yuki to be very memorable. Smile Seriously, though. It's been known for quite some time that Lucky☆Star would be a series that parodied and paid homage to other anime, video games, and all facets of otaku and gamer culture. So it shouldn't be surprising that people who have been looking forward to the show will have taken some time to look up information about things like other roles the seiyuu have voiced and other anime Kyoto Animation has been involved with. Otherwise a good part of the humor from this series will wind up going right over your head. It's sort of like watching the "Airplane" spoofs without ever having seen any of the "Airport" movies, or the "Scary Movie" series without knowing anything about slasher flicks. You may still find things to laugh about, but a lot of times you'll be left scratching your head and wondering what the people around you found so funny. Of couse, a healthy dash of obsession also helps... Wink
dgreater1

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Just watched eps. 3 and I can say that. I'm really getting impressed with Lucky ☆ Star!, each conversation turns to something meaningful in a funny way... The 20mins long smile started about spoiler[wearing summer uniform] and ended with a surprising spoiler[Sore ga Ai deshou.] There's a possibilty they'll be using some of their previous spoiler[anime's OP & ET] too. Can't wait to spoiler[hear Konata-chan and the other girls sing those songs. Mr. Green ]... I wan't PS2, spoiler[but I'm not a student anymore that will be bomb by their parents with incentives, so I need to work hard to get one, but I wouldn't be able to get one because I need to spend my money on more important things than PS2] Anime cry This eps. shows that you can learn a lot from a game >_<spoiler>_<
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:38 am Reply with quote
CloverKuroba

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:37 pm Reply with quote
I think you need to get past the first episode to discover that Lucky Star is actually a great show. The first episode was disappointing (an 8 minute segment on food? It was really 8 minutes...I counted Anime catgrin + sweatdrop ) but the 2nd episode picks up the pace. Lucky Star chock full of anime references like Cromartie High School, Pani Poni Dash, and Haruhi Suzumiya and other pop culture. It's nice to have an anime that you can relate to for a change, I find myself thinking, My friends and I talk about stuff like that, and it scares me Anime smile + sweatdrop. It's pretty cool and refreshing.
I think it's sad that people are rating it awful just by the first episode. Give it a chance, remember how people hated the first episode of TMOHS, but turned into Haruhi-maniacs the next episode? Perhaps this will be another Haruhi, let's wait and see...
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:54 am Reply with quote
Well, got around to watching first three episodes of this now...

Meh, haven't found it interesting at all. The characters are cute as hell but that's really the best thing about it to me (and if you don't like cute characters I can't see most people liking it at all). I'll admit that the many anime/game references did manage to get me to smile a few times, but other than that it's been pretty dull with the humor just falling flat for me on most occasions. The ending segments with Akira are the only parts I've really enjoyed actually. I like her better and have found her more amusing than all the other characters in the show so far (of which, none of them I've really liked at all). Even though it hasn't been funny at all, I did find myself mildly interested in whatever meaningless and random thing the group was doing. I'd rate it a "so-so" as of now. I don't see it changing anytime soon either, as I'm pretty sure the rest of it's going to be like this...

I will give the anime one thing though, I love the opening and it's addicting as hell... I'll definitely be buying the single once it comes out...
Amasa

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:22 am Reply with quote
Even though I'm a huge fan of the genre and usually love most comedy/slice of life anime Lucky Star is a bit too radical. I've seen people say Azumanga was weird because there was no plot but the episodes were divided into small segments and each one had a main theme or event. I really do find Lucky Star weird. It'd be nice if there was one theme for the characters to focus on for at least a small duration of each episode. The scenes chop and change too fast that all the dialogue is jammed too much together and the humor gets incoherent as a result. Even a nice long shot of the school, or a bird singing in a tree would fix most of the problems I have with the series so far.

Apart from that I love the conversations they have. I think they're hilarious when they're not emphasizing how much anime Konata watches, that just frustrates me (mainly because I don't understand the references). She's starting to annoy me, the fact that she was a gamer and otaku was funny at first but I'm over the fascination now. The rest of the characters are too loli to really match their realist conversations. When the girl with pink switches off the light in the food hall I laughed out loud and I think that is probably the funniest scene so far. I've done it so many times and just the small things that they talk about are hilarious to hear from anime characters, but the edge to it is lost by their fluorescent hair and colourful eyes.

By the end of the first episode of Azumanga Daioh and knew every character's name. In Lucky Star they're too forgettable, I only know Kona-chan's name. Usually that's where I know if an anime series has gotten me or not. If I can immediately remember each character's name hours or days after I've seen only a few episodes then those characters have been introduced well and completely.

Also even though I loved the first episode and still do like the series, one thing I thought about it has changed. It's not a laid-back humour. I watched episode 3 after a very long day thinking that a nice laugh would get me back into things for a while before I went to bed. I was wrong, the flashing translator's notes and incredibly short scenes with a hell of a lot of dialogue didn't help at all. While watching Lucky Star you have to be alert and constantly aware of what they're talking about or the entire show is lost. There's no nice scenery to enjoy while the dialogue bores you, and there's no plot to at least get back onto after a missed joke. The show is completely in it's humour and if you don't understand it or catch onto it fast enough then there's really no point in watching the rest until you've had an energy drink. Sure the slapstick humour acts as a backup sometimes, but it's nowhere near Azumanga or Hidamari Sketch - but obviously they're not as intricate in their dialogue as LS.
Ramadahl

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:33 am Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:
...and if you don't like cute characters I can't see most people liking it at all.

Guess I'm special then Razz .

Amasa wrote:
It'd be nice if there was one theme for the characters to focus on for at least a small duration of each episode. The scenes chop and change too fast that all the dialogue is jammed too much together and the humor gets incoherent as a result. Even a nice long shot of the school, or a bird singing in a tree would fix most of the problems I have with the series so far.

That's exactly the problem I have with it - would it have killed them to at least have some continuity between scenes, or even a small break?
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:24 am Reply with quote
Maybe the producers edited the scenes that way in order to show off the dialouge exchanges in "real-time". Some peeps do change the subject on the fly while conversing with each other. It's pretty daring yet it looks like it really diverged the viewers. It makes me wonder how the English dub would sound like (though I can see ADV distributing and dubbing it assuming Kadokawa Pictures USA already licenses it); I can imagine a more snappy script might actually do the series more justice.
Steve Berry

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:48 am Reply with quote
I really rather liked the first episode of Lucky Star-- I thought the food discussion was fantastic. After that I was hooked. The Spring Reviewer mentioned Tarantino (with no depth, sucking a loli-pop), but I was reminded more of Linklater-- stuff like Before Sunset or Through a Scanner Darkly. Movies with very little plot, and meandering, "life-like" conversations that cover a host of topics that people think about, but that aren't "drama" or plot centered.

I think people who are going in to this show for cute characters, or wacky slap stick shenanigans, or great animation, or a real plot are going to disappointed. Just my take from the episode I saw. It was entertaining (and occasionally funny-- but not really laugh out loud funny) because it had fascinatingly real-to-life dialogue, that was just a bit quirky. It's an acquired taste, but I thought it was great. By far the only show that I've liked this Spring.

Which brings me to my last thought-- I must be getting burnt out, or too old or something, but I've just been generally disappointed by the shows this year. I thought Claymore was slow, with bad music and animation, and stilted, one-dimensional characters, emoting angst I've heard before-- and perhaps it gets better, but I'm not interested in having to watch 4 eps of a show before it gets good, I just don't have the time for that. I thought Darker than Black was very pretty, with good music, but terribly convoluted, with distant characters that were hard to relate to, and some real pacing issues-- and how many freakin' times does a sci-fi story have to have a wall that everyone lives behind, and some secret the world doesn't want to deal with?? Argh. I'm just very tired of some of these cliche tropes that keep on appearing in sci-fi (anime and otherwise). Towards the Terra was, sadly, kind of hokey (I've been looking forward to this one), the new hyper-active mecha Gainax show just isn't my gig, etc. Maybe I'll check out more Bokurano???

But in the end, the only show that really has caught my eye is Lucky Star-- it's mildly quirky, the dialogue was great, no plot, but I was engaged. It's situational to the point of being plotless, and completely dialogue driven. It's really something I haven't seen taken to quite this level before. I loved it. I didn't find it "super-cutesy" or moe at all-- rather the opposite in fact. I, sadly, never really cared for Azumanga Daioh-- the dialogue wasn't as snappy, and I don't care so much for slapstick or repetitous physical humor--, but Lucky Star is deceptively cute. It looks cute physically, but it's really a lot more biting and nonsensical in attitude. Not really kawaaaiiiiii at all-- for which I'm very thankful.

Have to check out the next 2 eps.
omnistry

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:59 am Reply with quote
The third episode was pretty funny. I loved the spoiler[Pani Poni Dash! reference.]
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:15 am Reply with quote
I've got a question: how many of you have read its manga? I have three volumes, and I can say that those who have never read the manga can hardly understand its humor, for the anime is basically "made for fans" -- it didn't even bother to introduce characters in the first episode.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Steve Berry

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:05 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
I've got a question: how many of you have read its manga? I have three volumes, and I can say that those who have never read the manga can hardly understand its humor, for the anime is basically "made for fans" -- it didn't even bother to introduce characters in the first episode.

Personally, I never felt like I was out of the loop. I never felt like the characters weren't "introduced" properly to me, nor did i feel like I wasn't getting the humor. I'm sure there are lots of great references to lots of anime shows-- or sections of the manga that they've cut-- that I'm not getting, but the dialgoue was good enough, and the topics interesting enough, that I felt like I was carried along nicely.

What sort of stuff am I missing, or probably not getting? Just curious.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 1:01 pm Reply with quote
BREAKING NEWS: According to an announcement at KyoAni's official website and Moon Phase, Yutaka Yamamoto has stepped down as the director of the series. He is replaced by Yasuhiro Takemoto (of FMP? Fumoffu and FMP! TSR), starting from episode 5.

The comment from the company was pretty harsh. Rolling Eyes

Kyoto Animation wrote:
「らき☆すた」監督の山本寛は、監督において、まだ、その域に達していないと弊社は判断し、交代いたしました。

My translation: "Director Yutaka Yamamoto of Lucky Star is, at this moment, not yet accomplished enough in the field of directing, thus our humble company decide the replacement."

EDIT: Something is not right with his given name. I'll look into it.

ADDENDUM: Okay, now it's corrected. While Hiroshi is a more common pronunciation of 寛, in the case of the KyoAni director the character of his given name is pronounced "Yutaka" instead. The name "Hiroshi Yamamoto" is kept because there's an actor at Haikyo with exact same kanji but different pronunciation, but I can't find if he has been involved in any anime.

Last edited by dormcat on Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:23 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 31