• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Warner, Tobey Maguire Acquire Robotech Film Rights

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:38 pm Reply with quote
sailornyanko wrote:

Knowing how Hollywood likes to crank up battle scenes a la Resident Evil 2 where your eyes get so dizzy you just want the action to speed up so that you can actually see something, this part of the film will definitely be a stinker.

Yeah you're right every action movie ever made is like this and you can absolutely guarantee that the action scenes will be like that.

If you're going to spout this lazy cynical (which I hesitate to call this cynicism since that word suggests that your attitude is actually informed by something whereas most of the "ARGH HOLLYWOOD" raving is based on hoary stereotypes rather than reality) "hollywood does things X way" crapola at least be aware of current trends. The shakycam lightning-edit style of action sequences is becoming less popular now thanks to the success of 300, where most of the action was in slow-motion. Aside from The Bourne Ultimatum, I can't think of an action movie I saw over the summer where the action shots were dizzying or confusing, save maybe a handful of tight shots in Transformers.
ichido reichan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:48 pm Reply with quote
for all the haters out there...

you still gonna go see it at the cinema.... so stop complaining...

Voltron? speed racer? not really...

after transformers, we are entering in the first step of the "Anime movies"
and Robotech (macross really) has a big leap to take...
Come on, half of the battles of spiderman 3 were "advent children"

Robotech can't be as bad as spiderman 3 no? therefore, love it or hate it...you still are going to watch it....

reason enough to plan the "trequel" batman got it, transformers got it...
Zinjo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:43 pm Reply with quote
I have no issues with a RT movie being based on the Mospeada section of the show, there is the whole REF story to be told, the "New Generation" segment only focused on a small part of a much larger operation, etc...

Legally the "Macross" franchise is a minefield, due to bad blood between the existing legal parties.

If WB went to Big West and Studio Nue directly, they'd probably be able to broker a deal for a Macross movie, but HG would have to be taken out of the equation as they own the US trademark on the "Macross" name (as of 2003).

I think it could be cool if done right, but I expect everyone's holygrail movie (RT & Macross fans alike), a "Macross" based movie, would be too problematic to acheive until one of the sides in the dispute are taken out of the picture.

With Studio Nue and Big West being the owners of the intellectual property and the ones currenlty producing shows in the franchise universe, it is doubtful they'll be the ones to give up their rights for a pile o' cash, since they are still earning money from those rights.
LeoKnight25

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:10 am Reply with quote
You know, after seeing Transformers and how off the hook it was, I'm pretty sure with a capable director they could do something pretty good with Robotech. I would absolutely LOVE to see stop motion Veritech Fighters ala Robot Jox, but CGI is definitely the way it's gonna go. Crying or Very sad I can still dream. Also, Guyver 2 may have been low budget as hell but, it was still a great movie. The first one is pretty cruddy, but that's because they made it all cornball funny when Guyver is supposed to be deadly serious. Anyways, after seeing Transformers as said above, I'll reserve judgement until I see the final product. Besides, Hollywood isn't all bad....just the current state of Hollywood. If it were all bad, I wouldn't have the big ass film collection I do. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Azmodeus

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:59 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Anyone else sick of the instant negative reaction EVERY live-action project gets?

Do those of you who immediately leap onto the forums to proclaim how upset and disappointed you are that something is being adapted into live-action ever get tired of being so negative and lazy in your cynicism?

*raises hand* yupp, i am. Seriously what's wrong with trying to take something people loved when it was animated and then try to make it into a real movie á la hollywood. It worked wonder for xmen, spider-man, batman and superman even though none of them was ever really intended for the big screen. The transformers movie beat the crap out of the recent spider-man movie

Note that i doesn't say that we should praise every singel live-action adaption they come up with, though. I'm very skeptical about the upcoming Thundercats movie and the G.I. Joe movie also sound like a bad idea.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 4:57 pm Reply with quote
How the heck did I miss this press release! Damn, I must say I am surprised. If done right, and focussed on a manageable part of the storyline, this could turn out to be another Star Wars(4-6). Of course we know absolutely nothing about how this will be handled, so it is hard to tell what road this will take. Sure it is a lot easier to make a bad film than a good one, but I for one am keeping my fingers crossed that they end up doing an excellent job on this. It deserves it.

ichido reichan wrote:

But if you ask me that the toy stores will be filled with macross merchandise, valkiries everywhere, bring it on!! they took too long....

Shocked

*squeeee!!*

Man I can finally get all the cool stuff my parents wouldn't get me when I was kid watching Robotech. Sure I am a little old to actually be playing with them now, but damn if I can't find the ones which will double as statues as a feigned excuse to buy toys! What am I saying, I already buy cartoons.

Anime hyper
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RayRay

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:44 pm Reply with quote
I have been a Macross fan since "Macross-Do You Remember Love" first came out and have been waiting for someone to pick up live action Robotech/Macross.
All i have to say is, whatever director picks this up better have his sh_t together.... and lots of bank. If you think he can just take a F-14 or F-15, transform it and make lots of money .........the motion picture will fall flat on it face!!!! Just like Stealth did due to the fact details were left out for instance: pilots did not act like pilots, no radar acronyms, did not put the audiance in the cockpit.....etc. That motion picture was taken from the Japanese animation "Yukikaze". Of course Yukikaze blows stealth out of the water!!!!!
Like in Macross Plus , Macross Zero, the director better put the audiance in the cockpit with an inovative cockpit layout. (get with the Japanese designer from Macross on that issue.)
The director or producer better be familiar with aerial combat, flight principles,pilot talk in the air,futuristic designs like: hangar bays, flight lines, ground crew clothing,ordanance....etc.
I feel George Lucas, Steven Spielberg or at least Ridley Scott should pick this up just for the fact i know they have the bank to build a movie like this.
Renaisance Otaku

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:44 am Reply with quote
RayRay wrote:
Just like Stealth did due to the fact details were left out for instance: pilots did not act like pilots, no radar acronyms, did not put the audiance in the cockpit.....etc. That motion picture was taken from the Japanese animation "Yukikaze". Of course Yukikaze blows stealth out of the water!!!!!

I always heard that Stealth was more a ripoff f Macross Plus, to the point that Stealth is not to be mentioned on MacrossWorld. The whole berserk AI bit mirroring Sharon Apple and the Ghost fighter.

Quote:
I feel George Lucas, Steven Spielberg or at least Ridley Scott should pick this up just for the fact i know they have the bank to build a movie like this.

Maybe, but I doubt any of them would be interested in this project. Lucas would turn it into a mere effects film. I doubt it'd have much going for it then, at least if he wrote it (though since he wouldn't be, there'd be hope). Spielberg I can't see touching it, and given War of the Worlds, I wouldn't want him to. Scott is a maybe if he were channeling Blade Runner or Alien and not Gladiator. though I know none of these would ever come near this project.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4