• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Geneon USA President & CEO Sends Message to Fans

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rankothefiremage

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Wildcat70 wrote:
I know I saw When they Cry at Right Stuff too. The Date Available is listed as Dec 12 2012 for both vol 4 and 5. I really don't know what to make of it

That is right stuf's way of lusting items that they are unsure of it's exact release date.
Some anime ego titles where listed this way for awhile.

-Gabe
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
.hacker

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:38 pm Reply with quote
Wildcat70 wrote:
I know I saw When they Cry at Right Stuff too. The Date Available is listed as Dec 12 2012 for both vol 4 and 5. I really don't know what to make of it

Amazon had volumes 4 and 5 with release dates of 12/4/07 and 2/5/08 respectively.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:41 pm Reply with quote
.hacker wrote:
Wildcat70 wrote:

Amazon had volumes 4 and 5 with release dates of 12/4/07 and 2/5/08 respectively.

Amazon still has the original dates, RightStuf 's 12/12/12 date is code for "we have no idea if or when this will come out".

Randall Miyashiro wrote:
When They Cry is/was not selling well at all. Amazon's ranking currently has them at:

Volume 1 #52,094
Volume 2 #43,736
Volume 3 #16,072

Comparing this to the latest Kyo Kara Maoh at #9,466 or Karin 3 at #9,962 or even Saiunkoku 2 at #13,970, which are all also works in progress, has me puzzled considering how much higher this series is ranked here and the number of threads exist on When They Cry.

I still can't help but think that a good number of people who watched the fan subs did not buy the DVDs since it is ranked #185 on the have seen listing compared to Karin at #322 and Saiunkoku at #545. Why else is a series that has been seen by so many more people on ANN (x2.5 many people compared to Saiun) selling fewer copies than the other Geneon titles?

Obviously, a whole lot of people who saw the fansubs aren't buying the DVDs but I don't think Higurashi is suffering from that any more than Karin and Saiunkoku. I think Karin has the advantage of being something that simply doesn't need much advertising to get people to see it and Saiunkoku has been getting a good amount of advertising and covereage (Newtype used it for a recent cover and has now done two articles on it). Kya Kara Maoh got lots of articles in both publications. Both Saiunkoku and Kya Kara Maoh are shoujo and, while they don't tend to sell as well, they also don't have much competition.

On the other hand, advertising for When They Cry has been almost non-existent. I think I might have seen an internet banner ad at some point, but I'm not sure. I know I haven't seen any ads in magazines. The little bit of pre-release press it got was a poor article in Anime Insider (which made it sound like it was about a bunch of teenagers going around solving mysteries) and.... that was it as far as I know. This month's NewType has finally done an article that may generate some interest in it, but if they did one before, I missed it. The box makes it look like a harem show and the covers are a double-edged sword (not that the original ones were any better). On the one hand, they may attract attention due to just being different. On the other hand, they may repel people for the same reasons. This isn't Geneon's fault though, as the regular covers were simply generic (though I do like them) and probably wouldn't have been any better.

In short, I think Higurashi had a lot of things going against it in comparison to other shows which probably have more to do with its relatively poor sales than just fansubs which affect all of them more or less the same. Basically, there was little to tell people why they should be interested in Higurashi compared to Karin and Saiunkoku.
Polly E.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:46 am Reply with quote
The official When They Cry site didn't even make it up till a few weeks ago, which is sad because I received my volume 1 May 25th. It was never a clickable link on Geneon's official site's rotating banner either, even after the site went up. Geneon just didn't do a good job getting the word out at all.
Varkyle

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:13 am Reply with quote
I was glad to see that at least the last volume of Fate Stay Night was able to make it out with it's last volume, "Vol. 6" but I'm wondering if they're going to be able to make a thin pack for it. Considering I didn't remember if they even made a special art box with volume 1 for it... it'd be nice to see a nice art box for Fate Stay Night. One can hope for a thin pack... I really can't be spending 20-24$ on six DvDs right at the moment... ugh.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
WrexSoul

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:24 am Reply with quote
Varkyle wrote:
Considering I didn't remember if they even made a special art box with volume 1 for it... it'd be nice to see a nice art box for Fate Stay Night.

They did, and it's sitting on my shelf right now. They still may have some copies on Amazon...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:29 am Reply with quote
Varkyle wrote:
I was glad to see that at least the last volume of Fate Stay Night was able to make it out with it's last volume, "Vol. 6" but I'm wondering if they're going to be able to make a thin pack for it. Considering I didn't remember if they even made a special art box with volume 1 for it... it'd be nice to see a nice art box for Fate Stay Night. One can hope for a thin pack... I really can't be spending 20-24$ on six DvDs right at the moment... ugh.

You want a company that is A) basically going out of business and B) has never ever done thinpaks ever in the entire history of their company to release this show as a thinpak?

What kind of logic are you using to reach that conclusion?

Yeah you can "hope for a thinpak" with the same kind of level-headed thoughtful reasoning I can use to "hope I can one day fly using only the pure dreams of my own imagination".
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:51 am Reply with quote
Foom the Geneon sends a message thread in the Talkback section:

Zac wrote:

You want a company that is A) basically going out of business and B) has never ever done thinpaks ever in the entire history of their company to release this show as a thinpak?

Yeah you can "hope for a thinpak" with the same kind of level-headed thoughtful reasoning I can use to "hope I can one day fly using only the pure dreams of my own imagination".

When I read this I just laughed to myself thinking about Zac just flying around like superman. It would make getting to cons for the job a whole easier though wouldn't it? Wink
Porcupine

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:52 am Reply with quote
Randall Miyashiro wrote:
I still can't help but think that a good number of people who watched the fan subs did not buy the DVDs since it is...
Excellent points. Personally, I believe that anime fans who watch fansubs account for hardly any of DVD sales. I think that the vast majority of DVD sales are sold to people who do not download any fansubs (or extremely little) and do not speak on message boards, etc.

There may be lots of people on a board such as this one that download a ton of fansubs yet also buy many anime DVDs. But I think in the rest of the world, almost all the people who watch fansubs don't buy anything. And almost all the people who are buying things don't watch fansubs.

That's just what I think. I have no hard proof. But there are many subtle signs of soft proof, such as you have just mentioned.
Kenotic

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:51 am Reply with quote
One strike against Higurashi/When they cry is the wait between discs, at least in my opinion. At the end of the first disc, everything is reset, a new character is tossed in to turn things on their head -- and then you wait two months. Then things fall apart, reset, new twists -- and then two months. This is one I could see doing a little better as its own "Complete" collection -- considering it gets that far.
daedelus

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:59 am Reply with quote
Randall Miyashiro wrote:
When They Cry is/was not selling well at all. Amazon's ranking currently has them at:

Volume 1 #52,094
Volume 2 #43,736
Volume 3 #16,072

I wonder, though. How many copies of each volume of When They Cry were pressed? Do they tend to produce less copies of a mature rated title versus a non-mature title?

One example I have is my local Suncoast. When When They Cry was first released, the store got 2 copies of vol 1+box which promptly sold out(me and someone else). They later re-stocked 2 more copies and currently have one sitting on their shelf.

Conversely, when Karin was first released, the store got 4 copies of vol 1+box. I bought one and I'm not sure how many more were initially bought, but there are currently 3 vol 1+boxes sitting on the shelf.

It seems that the ratio of received/sold is higher for When They Cry than for Karin. This is all pure speculation, of course. It just seems logical to me that they would expect to sell less copies of a mature rated title, and therefore produce less copies.

It's sort of like how when an R-rated movie reaches blockbuster status. They seem to hold a feat like that in high regard because it is assumed that the audience is smaller due to the age restriction.
Brians9824

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:22 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Varkyle wrote:

They HAVE done thinpaks for several show's which are Chobits, Excel Saga, Final Fantasy Unlimited, Gungrave, etc.

Probably more I missed but enough to have made it worth hoping for. I was personally waiting for ANY type of boxset as its a bit much for all the dvds for Fate/Stay Night still. I'll be keeping an eye on sales though
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:14 am Reply with quote
[quote="Brians9824"]
They HAVE done thinpaks for several show's which are Chobits, Excel Saga, Final Fantasy Unlimited, Gungrave, etc.
/quote]

Excel Saga and FFU are ADV titles. But yes, Geneon has done a few thinpacks, though they weren't very cheap.
Brians9824

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:53 am Reply with quote
Ack my bad. I was looking thru Geneons list of titles and they did the SOUNDTRACKS for both of those series. It mentions that it was soundtracks on the items page but doesnt list soundtracks on Geneon's list of all anime they licensed.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:41 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Varkyle wrote:

But he's right in thinking that whoever picks up the distribution rights might do just that to get sales going again, unless Geneon stipulate other wise, but that would mean returning to a more active role in the distribution business they just deep sixed. However stranger things have happened before in business.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8