• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Mononoke.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HellKorn

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:18 pm Reply with quote
kyokun703 wrote:
Of course. I'm not actively hostile against watching them. I just have no real desire to. If someone can persuade me that I'm wrong without being offensive about it, then I can move them into my "should be watched" list (like Escaflowne).

Hm. Well, if you want something extensive, I would gladly send you a PM about it.

For now, I'll say that Evangelion (both the series and EoE) are very much recquired viewing for anime fans, both to watch it to understand the sheer impact it had on anime (whether something like Mononoke would have been made after it, I'm not certain, but I remain doubtful) and the fact that it's arguably the purest, most raw and honest character study in anime. The characters' own quirks (giving them a life of their own beyond their archetypes, and giving them human quality, both positive and negative) and interactions actually have a fair deal of subtlety, lending the story tend repeat viewings (that is, if the viewer is not hung-up on the fact that they are given notable, human shortcomings). The direction lends itself to one of the most experimental experiences in anime, and the pacing itself elevates what is usually a tired trope (monster of the week series) into a story that slowly reveals layer upon layer of the plot and character). It's a deconstruction of not just mecha anime, but also of the nature of storytelling itself. Lastly, it has not just one memorable ending (television series), but two (EoE) that perfectly compliment each other.

Ghost in the Shell is more of an aesthetically pleasing experience than an intellectually stimulating one, but it stands up to repeat viewings because of it. Even through all of the incredible cinemotography and such, there's a largely ignored warmer side to the story that exhibits Motoko's detached, lonely personality. (Plus, it's very short; only 75 minutes.)

Ishmoo wrote:
As far as a favorite arc, I honestly couldn't decide. I think the original Bakeneko arc has a special place in my heart just because it was my introduction to this fantastic series.

That and Nopperrabou are my favorites. The emotional element is the highest in both, and with the latter there's so many different views that can be taken on what actually happened that it allows me to re-watch it over and over.

Bit of a shame that we never get any hint to the Medicine Seller's nature outside of that arc, though at least it maintains the mystique of his character.
Ningensei

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:32 pm Reply with quote
I hope it is not too late to comment in this thread. I just recently finished watching Mononoke and it was absolutely amazing. I have been wanting to watch this for a really long time now, also due to HellKorn's praise of the series. I finally got around to watching Ayakashi, because I wanted to watch the Bakeneko arc before starting the series. Even though I read all the great reviews about it, I wasn't prepared for how amazing it truly is. The Bakeneko arc just blew my mind away with its unique artwork, animation, and storytelling. And it completely blew the other two Ayakashi tales out of the water.

Mononoke just continues the tone and the feel of the series, and the Medicine Seller is just so completely mysterious and intriguing. And yes, quite attractive as well, in a really weird way. I loved all of the arcs, but was also a little disappointed in the last episode of the series. The second Bakeneko arc just caught me a little off guard with the more modern atmosphere and feel compared with the rest of the series.

But this is definitely one of my all time favorite series now, and I am glad I finally watched it.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:42 am Reply with quote
Oh, don't worry, Ningensei. I just finished watching Mononoke not too long ago, I just hadn't posted yet. It's a truly amazing masterwork, and my new #1 favorite series. From the complexity of the stories to the slick direction to the very confrontational art and animation, to the fantastic music, Mononoke is the epitome of why I LOVE anime.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Ningensei wrote:
I hope it is not too late to comment in this thread.

It's never too late. Actually, keep bumping it. Wink

Glad the both of you enjoyed so much. Hope to see more people pop up in this thread occasionally, especially if the series is licensed sometime soon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jedi General

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Aromatic Grass wrote:
especially if the series is licensed sometime soon.

That would be the day. Mononoke licensed would be a wonderful thing. Maybe FUNi will get it, with all the other niche titles they've licensed recently.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Welcome to the party ningensei! Very Happy You're more than welcome to talk about Monnonoke all you want in here. As is anyone else if they're interested in watching/talking about this incredible series.

Jedi General wrote:
Aromatic Grass wrote:
especially if the series is licensed sometime soon.

That would be the day. Mononoke licensed would be a wonderful thing. Maybe FUNi will get it, with all the other niche titles they've licensed recently.

I don't know much about the Geneon version of Ayakashi, but I've always been thinking now that Funimation has been picking up all their series, if they did an excellent enough job with Bakeneko how possible it would be to use the same dubbing cast for that if Funimation were to pick it up? Cool But yeah, I think they're definitely the most likely ones to do so if it ever happens. In fact I think I'm really starting to like it's chances. Very Happy

About more people poping up in this thread if a license is anounced, here's an idea! If it does indeed get licensed, how about we use this thread as an actual series discussion thread from episode one and everything, sort of like what the book club threads are doing? I think it getting licensed would definitely increase the chances of us not only being able to pull it off, but even get people in here who haven't seen it before! Very Happy
RangFlash

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:22 am Reply with quote
My main problem with Mononoke is the animation. No, not the style, the animation. I don't know if it's cause of a low budget or what, but there hardly seems to be any movement. I wish the animation quality was the same as the anime that it's based on (Ayakashi).
BlahBloke

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:25 am Reply with quote
I like the idea of human been greedy in the movie! but hated all the criticism against deforrestation!

but I also learned another important thing from the movie: MAN CAN CONQUER GOD! (lol, the forrest god died in the end!)

==

A bit I dont like, the exaggration about the main boy, able to live so long after been shot, and still capable of open the gate that requier the strength of 10 men!

Last edited by BlahBloke on Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:12 am; edited 3 times in total
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:41 am Reply with quote
BlahBloke:

Before I say anything I'd like for you to go back and read the very first post, especially paying notice to that first big green link.

Thank you.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Raven Shinobi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Just watched the series recently and I loved it to bits, from the unique art style, color palette, direction, script and seiyuu list -Norio Wakamotto's powerful performance as the fish shaped mononoke in the second story arc is still echoing in my head, and Takehiro Sakurai did an excellent job in makin g the medicine seller badass beyond belief.

The only thing that I regeret is not watching Ayakashi prior to viewing this, but I managed to find a copy of the Bakeneko arc DVD. Hope this series gets licensed.
BlahBloke

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:11 am Reply with quote
Aromatic Grass wrote:
BlahBloke:

Before I say anything I'd like for you to go back and read the very first post, especially paying notice to that first big green link.

Thank you.

sorry.. i have no idea whats going on... it seems that my computer posted it many times.. I have no mean to do that

(I was shocked when I saw dat as wel)

Anyway, I'm deleting them right away.

======================

Lol... seems I can't delet them.. or simply didn't find the delet buttom!
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:31 pm Reply with quote
BlahBloke wrote:
Lol... seems I can't delet them.. or simply didn't find the delet buttom!

Yeah, it only lets you delete your posts if they happen to be last in the thread. You can always try hitting the little red exclamation mark (!) by the quote button and then write: "Please delete my double posts." (This is so the mods will know you'd like them deleted.)

It probably happened because you hit "submit" too many times when making that post because your computer was taking too long to load or something. To prevent this you could try copying everything you type, hit "back," then "refresh" and see if your post went through or not. If not, you could just start over and paste what you copied into a new post.

What I originally meant was that this isn't a thread discussing Princess Mononoke (the Miyazaki movie), but a thread discussing a completely separate Mononoke TV series.
HellKorn

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:14 pm Reply with quote
RangFlash wrote:
My main problem with Mononoke is the animation. No, not the style, the animation. I don't know if it's cause of a low budget or what, but there hardly seems to be any movement.

Naw, the animation is fine. Just because there isn't an excess of movement doesn't mean that it isn't high quality -- same thing applies to series like Mushi-shi.

BrothersElric wrote:
If it does indeed get licensed, how about we use this thread as an actual series discussion thread from episode one and everything, sort of like what the book club threads are doing? I think it getting licensed would definitely increase the chances of us not only being able to pull it off, but even get people in here who haven't seen it before! Very Happy

Yeah, that would work. Pretty much every arc -- ESPECIALLY Nopperabou -- would definitely have enough meat to discuss and speculate on.

Also, Mononoke is currently ranked at #24 on ANN. Surprised that it's gone that high. Probably will drop off eventually, though, knowing troll votes... Though it might increase if licensed. (I mean, jeez, it's the only anime in my top ten series list that hasn't been licensed! Some company needs to fix that.)
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:45 pm Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:
Yeah, that would work. Pretty much every arc -- ESPECIALLY Nopperabou -- would definitely have enough meat to discuss and speculate on.

Oh yeah, especially with Nopperabou. In fact I'm kind of shocked I was able to get it as perfectly fine as I was the first time around, especially considering it was one of my earliest experiences with this kind of series. Anime smile + sweatdrop (well, not entirely. I did actually have to sit down and think about it for a while after I watched it Anime smile + sweatdrop )

I guess we'll have to wait and see what others want to do with this idea though.

Quote:
Also, Mononoke is currently ranked at #24 on ANN. Surprised that it's gone that high. Probably will drop off eventually, though, knowing troll votes... Though it might increase if licensed. (I mean, jeez, it's the only anime in my top ten series list that hasn't been licensed! Some company needs to fix that.)

Hey, all our efforts seem to have payed off! Very Happy

As for the license, after Funimation picked up Baccano, I'm convinced they can pull anything off! Anime hyper So you never know. We've also got Otakon coming up pretty soon here as well, soooooo........
plotoside

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:37 am Reply with quote
I found the Bakeneko arc by random chance in a penang street market. I had no idea what it was, but I liked the look of the artwork so I got it.

When I finally got around to watching it I was bowled over in awe, and spent several hours on the net trying to work out what it was. It wasn't until I found this thread by chance that I now understand what it is and how it fits into the world of anime.

I have just purchased a legit version of the Ayakashi collection online and can't wait for it to arrive.

However, this thread has brought the Mononoke TV series to my attention, which of course I now want to get hold of.

And this is where I have a problem - I can't see to find it available anywhere. Google, ebay and Amazon searches reveal only the Princess Mononoke movie.

Without breaking forum rule 9a, can anyone direct me to a source for this Mononoke? I gather it has not been released in Australia, but is there a Japanese or American (subbed) release still available? If someone can at least supply a product code to help my search, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer in this regard, and a big thank you to all the posters in this thread for the illuminating discussion. I have not been much of a fan of anime since Akira, but seeing Bakeneko has reinvigorated my interest.

cheers,
plotoside
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5