• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Gunslinger Girl -Il Teatrino-.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Xanas wrote:
More Justification faussé
Leave it out mate, like Keonyn said.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Dang. So much negative, here.

I have the first season of Gunslinger Girl. I was in remorse over the fact that it didn't really, you know, HAVE A PLOT, but the characterization was just so great, and I felt so bad for these girls that I was absorbed. The lack of plot made me ask for it for Christmas rather than purchasing it with my own cash, but c'est la vie. I was pleasantly surprised, and dying for a better conclusion.

Animation or no animation, the story is what matters for me here. Is this season going to have a conclusion or further elaborations on character that are significant? If so, sign me up, I'll buy it! If not, then bleeeeeeh on Gunslinger Girl. Poo on you for making me care.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:30 am Reply with quote
Ouch. What the hell did they do to my precious Gunslinger Girl?

The art was decent, but a huge downgrade from the first season. The animation, however, was atrocious. Waaaaaay too many pan and scans/shakes. The music was utterly forgettable and did nothing to enhance the experience and at times made it worse as it tried to be dramatic and action movie-ish but felt forced and failed.

I saw the first season over three years ago, so I don't remember the original voices and the simple fact that they are using different ones doesn't bother me. For the most part, they were fine. However, Henrietta's voice bothered me. She should be more soft-spoken, but now she's generic shy schoolgirl.

I had a few issues with their little terrorist chase. The Kaleidoscope stuff was chapter 12 of the manga and takes place immediately after the material covered in the first season. But the riot/bomb stuff was not in it. There was a scene where there was a protest and bomb went off at some other point in the manga, but it wasn't in that chapter and there was no chase. So the problems here lie entirely with the anime.

First, Henrietta just sits there and watches the terrorist run off and jump into the van. She wasn't stunned or anything and she knew darn well that he was a terrorist. And she just sits there. Then the van drives off and while they are talking to whatshername and getting their weapons, the van gets at least a minute lead and would likely have turned some corners by then. They had lost the van and there's no way they should have been able to find it again, let alone catch it. On a scooter. Then there is a scene with a bullet going straight at a guy's head and we the see him just keel over. I *think* this was an edit but I'm not sure.

I didn't have problems with the characterizations of Rico and Henrietta (aside from what I mentioned above) as they acted just like they do in the manga. I'm not sure if Madhouse had toned down some elements of their characters or the earlier chapters were just like that, but they are acting like they are supposed to for the most part. However, Henrietta does come off a bit worse in her "blushing schoolgirl"-ness than in the manga here.

hentai4me wrote:
The first series was basically page for page form the manga but in a different (better, if taken as an individual piece) order.

Aside from the last two episodes which were mostly anime original material and suggested that a character died but no such thing happened in the manga.

JesuOtaku wrote:

I have the first season of Gunslinger Girl. I was in remorse over the fact that it didn't really, you know, HAVE A PLOT, but the characterization was just so great, and I felt so bad for these girls that I was absorbed. The lack of plot made me ask for it for Christmas rather than purchasing it with my own cash, but c'est la vie. I was pleasantly surprised, and dying for a better conclusion.

Animation or no animation, the story is what matters for me here. Is this season going to have a conclusion or further elaborations on character that are significant? If so, sign me up, I'll buy it! If not, then bleeeeeeh on Gunslinger Girl. Poo on you for making me care.

I don't necessarily require an overarching plot for something to be good, so I didn't have any issues with the first season in that regard. However, the first series only covered the first 11 chapters of the manga and it was still setting up the plot. This season will have an overarching plot (Pinocchio) but other overarching plot elements will still probably me more subdued and subtle than most series. You'll get bits and pieces of the politics here and there but not some big plot that is constantly overhead like, say, Noir. Gunslinger Girl is really more about the characters, both the girls and the handlers, than it is about a plot. The Pinocchio arc is less a plot advancement in the grand scheme (though it does have some affects) than it is a chance to develop Triela's character. Immediately after the Pinnochio arc, the manga shifts to the introduction of a new character, though whether she'll show up in this series remains to be seen.
daedelus

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:08 am Reply with quote
Well, I've visited the official website and viewed the character pages. They do look slightly different, but it's not quite as radical a change as some have claimed. At least, I was able to recognize everyone. It kind of reminds me of the differences in animation between Air TV and Air The Movie. That's just me, though.

The only way I could possibly be disappointed in any way is if Funi or ADV doesn't license this and they don't keep the original english cast. Regardless, I'll buy it anyway no matter what.

If anyone from Funimation or ADV happens to be reading this thread, please license this show and keep the original cast.

Thank you
Xanas

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Well, I will agree I can recognize everyone, but it's a step down in looks to me. I actually gave my siblings a comparison of Kanon 2002 vs 2006 (since we recently watched that). I don't necessarily think that older shows are bad as a rule, though, and so I might still like it. This is more about expectations than anything else. After the first series they were set pretty high, and now it looks like this is going to be another "generic-looking" anime. I think of it in some ways similar to video games. I wouldn't buy a half-life 2 that looked worse than half-life 1, even though the graphics at that time were fairly good.

I can still look beyond that if there are other improvements, but it sounds like the other areas of the show (music & animation) are also substantially weaker. I'd almost feel like I were giving the creators the "OK" to do this if I were to buy it just because they made a sequel.
Elahrairah

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Stupid question:

What time/channel????

Not listed in The Click
rg4619

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
This is more about expectations than anything else. After the first series they were set pretty high, and now it looks like this is going to be another "generic-looking" anime. I think of it in some ways similar to video games. I wouldn't buy a half-life 2 that looked worse than half-life 1, even though the graphics at that time were fairly good.

I can still look beyond that if there are other improvements, but it sounds like the other areas of the show (music & animation) are also substantially weaker. I'd almost feel like I were giving the creators the "OK" to do this if I were to buy it just because they made a sequel.

Yeah, it's like going from a lavish Hollywood production to a low budget, syndicated TV series. Most elements of the first episode (awkward music direction, awkward pacing, choppy animation, lack of artistic details with regard to the setting and weapons) seem as if they were thrown together on short notice. This past fall (!), the team visited Italy to collect research materials, but it's clear that they lacked the time/money to incorporate much of it into artwork.

At any rate, it's probably a sign of the times. Lots of companies have tightened budgets, and we've already begun to see results (i.e. Gonzo's new emphasis on low brow otaku shows, J.C. Staff's minimization of action scenes, lots of new drama/moe/fan service/slice of life series being made, Il Teatrino). Unfortunately, this short-term fix will probably worsen the sales situation as consumers come away disappointed.
Samurai-with-glasses

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Elahrairah wrote:
Stupid question:

What time/channel????

Not listed in The Click

Il Teatrino is not licensed in North America. It's available for now only via fansubs and Japanese raws.

The Click listed American/Canadian TV showings only.

###

So...thread conclusion: it's a failure?
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:33 pm Reply with quote
^Not a failure really (too early to tell) but the general consensus is that it's definitely of inferior quality compared with season 1 and suffers greatly from not being animated by Madhouse like it's predecessor.
Veoryn87

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:36 pm Reply with quote
rg4619 wrote:
At any rate, it's probably a sign of the times. Lots of companies have tightened budgets, and we've already begun to see results (i.e. Gonzo's new emphasis on low brow otaku shows, J.C. Staff's minimization of action scenes, lots of new drama/moe/fan service/slice of life series being made, Il Teatrino). Unfortunately, this short-term fix will probably worsen the sales situation as consumers come away disappointed.

I wouldn't really call the drama/moe/slice of life series an indication of lowering budgets since the ones from Kyoto Animation are some of the highest quality animation wise. Or maybe I haven't seen the majority of "moe" anime....
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:48 pm Reply with quote
I think it's impossible to call something a failure based only on one episode. I think we'll really have to see how it handles the story to tell on that one.

And really, the production value of the show isn't bad in general, only when compared to the first season which had an exceptionally good one, IMO. Which is why I doubt I'll be ranking this season a "Masterpiece" like I did the first.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Samurai-with-glasses wrote:

That depends on what you mean by failure. If failure equates to horribly disappointing, then yes. If failure means absolute crap, then no. It's just mediocre and a huge drop in quality from the first series, which is a damn shame.
theeonegook89

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:32 pm Reply with quote
the story and plot seems dead on, from what I've seen from the 2nd episode, compared to the manga that is. I've given up all hope in terms of animation and art style, but put it this way, maybe they degraded the action scenes to give a more fervor atmosphere to the girls lives. (well its just another way to look at the new animation style, excluding the new cutesy-loli like complexion)
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:26 am Reply with quote
Samurai-with-glasses wrote:
Elahrairah wrote:
Stupid question:

What time/channel????

Not listed in The Click

Il Teatrino is not licensed in North America. It's available for now only via fansubs and Japanese raws.

The Click listed American/Canadian TV showings only.

###

It's hardly a failure. It's a wait and see sort of thing I think. The initial character designs seem to be gaining a lot of fire and criticism so far but as I always say the story should be the main focus. SO if the story arcs stay true to the manga, as with season 1, and are put together well then that's all that matters to me. The show may lose a notch, say from a 9 to an 8, due to the new animation but even so I hardly call that a failure. Plus who knows, these are just screen shots so maybe the real thing will look better and it'll get touched up some coming over here.
Xanas

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Veoryn87 wrote:
rg4619 wrote:

I wouldn't really call the drama/moe/slice of life series an indication of lowering budgets since the ones from Kyoto Animation are some of the highest quality animation wise. Or maybe I haven't seen the majority of "moe" anime....

Yes, this was what I was thinking as well. Looking at Kanon or Clannad (the shows I've seen) the art and animation is really quite beautiful I think. Looking at screenshots here I just am not seeing that at all. I suppose it could be the shows I'm not watching that are really bad.

If this is in some way budget problems I'm afraid that I think the industry probably needs to cut down a bit. I wouldn't really want to see less anime, but more high quality shows and less mediocre ones I think is a preference almost any fan would have. Outside of this one show though I don't dislike the new stuff I have seen. I'm kind of picky about what I'm willing to see fansub though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9