• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Wal-Mart Chooses Blu-ray Disc over HD DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jdnation

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:48 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
jd: Those aren't must-own games, though. And DMC 4 ain't PS3-exclusive.

I'd say Ratchet and Uncharted are definately must own games! Anyone who willingly ignores them has never tried them or is simply only interested in some other genre. It's like those people who don't like Mario Galaxy because it's not their 'thing' but in the eyes of many and reviewers, it's still a must-own title! And yes, I'm aware that Devil May Cry 4 is multi-platform, that why I mentioned it after talking about multiplatform games and alongside Call of Duty 4.

Quote:
Nope. Neither have most PS3 owners, judging by their preference to buying BD discs.

Ratchet launched pretty early so the install base hadn't picked up unfortunately... but it did decent sales and continues to sell. Uncharted reached 1 million sales a while ago and continues to sell. Both Ratchet and Uncharted and also part of bundle offers with PS3 in some places because of their quality and popularity. Also Devil May Cry 4 and especially Call of Duty 4 sold nearly as well on both systems, of course 360 took the lead since it has a larger install base. And the attach rate for PS3 is growing well, but yes it has some catching up to do to get where the 360 is, but it's more or less in the same position as the 360 when it debuted 1 year earlier. There's no reason to be afraid of picking up a PS3, it's certain to do very well. Smile
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Zoe wrote:
Shadowrun20XX wrote:

Here I'll add to the BS.It doesn't seem like the new systems care about DRM either.Both PS3 and 360 play .avi.I don't need to tell you how bad that is.

Well, I at least don't think we'll ever see either of them supportinig mkv Laughing

spoiler[With simple tinkering......I've said to much].You would be amazed at what they can do.You can install another OS on PS3.It really makes me think they wanted this.
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:11 am Reply with quote
writerpatrick wrote:
One of the funniest videos on the subject:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywWfmRdOmJ0

I found myself thinking about it today.

Is it sad that I knew what that was before I even clicked on it? Razz

Shadowrun20XX wrote:
spoiler[With simple tinkering......I've said to much].You would be amazed at what they can do.You can install another OS on PS3.It really makes me think they wanted this.

Of course they did, they even tell you right on the Playstation website how to do the installation. What you choose to do with the "Other OS" after that, though, is your own business ...

IIRC the PS2 also had the same capabilities. It's so that the Playstation can be classified as a "computer" rather than a "toy/game" for some financial thingy that I've forgotten about but it means lower fees for the company.

EDIT: P.S. Toshiba has just formally announced that Fidel Castro is stepping down as president of Cuba, congrats Blu.
eviltimes

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:46 pm Reply with quote
writerpatrick wrote:
One of the funniest videos on the subject:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywWfmRdOmJ0

I found myself thinking about it today.

awesome Cool
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4