• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Chiko, Heiress of the Phantom Thief.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fokkusuhaundo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:56 pm Reply with quote
They finally show the preview for the next episode. spoiler[Looks like we get to see Ken and what he's currently been up to]. Episode 8 definitely cleared up a lot of things like spoiler[why Koito acts like a bitch in school and about the armored giant mutant]. Also, from what we learn aboutspoiler[20 Faces' dark past he might indeed turn out to be an enemy for Chiko] (thanks to Courbet for that, I would have never thought about it myself). Anime smile

The scene where spoiler[Chiko takes on the armored mutant] was the highlight of the episode for me, where we really see Bones spend some time and effort on animation. It is especially impressive knowing that they also have Soul Eater in their hands.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:11 am Reply with quote
Episode 9! You know it's quite amazing how so far not a single episode ended up being boring. We got quite of bit of interesting tidbits going on like:

spoiler[- Koito has officially formed the Detective Girls with Chiko! And their first assignment was to find where Twenty Faces was located which lead to a bust. Meanwhile two hooligans were following the girls in order to get Chico to tell them where Twenty Faces so-called treasure was. Of course, Chico beat the crap out of them! Twisted Evil

- Ken is alive, and it seems he's being following Chico ever since the train incident. We did get some background of him having abandonment issues.

- Her evil stepmother is plotting some evil for Chico, and it involves a vacation trip. Chico uses this opportunity to go on a trip that may have a lead on the whereabouts of Twenty Faces.]
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:15 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
spoiler[- Koito has officially formed the Detective Girls with Chiko!]

Now we just need spoiler[Tome! I'm expecting this next episode, when they're on the island, to be her "initiation" (for lack of a better word) into the Detective Girls team.] Smile

darkchibi07 wrote:
spoiler[- Ken is alive, and it seems he's being following Chico ever since the train incident. We did get some background of him having abandonment issues.]

Poor Ken. I love him so much. <3

spoiler[That scene where Twenty Faces supposedly drove Chiko away from the train wreck has me suspicious, though not necessarily of him being alive and being there. I'm just kind of worried to find out what his true motivation is.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Oooo, episode 10 was pretty funky, and it seemed this war that happened in the past especially with the experiments was becoming more important.

spoiler[- Chiko and Ken are reunited, but it ended up very bitter due to his reasons mentioned last episode.

- The island where the movie was set used to be where the experiments were held during the war. Chiko stumble upon a secret laboratory following the jewel in hopes in finding Twenty Faces. This ended up being a trap set by a rather strong and extremely limber woman who has been experimented on. Chiko was then in the clutches of that woman.

- Then Ken came to save her, but even he had some trouble. Luckily Chiko set up a trap of her own which made the woman hang upside down. The woman ended her demise by transforming into a mannequin and falling apart.]
larinon

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Aromatic Grass wrote:
spoiler[That scene where Twenty Faces supposedly drove Chiko away from the train wreck has me suspicious, though not necessarily of him being alive and being there. I'm just kind of worried to find out what his true motivation is.]

Well, don't forget the scene from earlier where Chiko was eavesdropping on Twenty Faces and overheard him say spoiler[he wanted to create a successor for himself. Maybe that is his ulterior motive?]

Another random thought: spoiler[has Twenty Faces now replaced the lawyer that's shacking up with Chiko's aunt? Pretty unlikely, but still...]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Exaar

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:04 pm Reply with quote
I'm beginning to wonder if spoiler[Twenty Faces didn't do something to Chiko beyond just teaching her. She seems to occasionally exhibit powers above and beyond anything any amount of training could account for, and especially in episode 10 the thing with her eyes changing and back so suddenly was weird, Ken brought it up.

Obviously, Twenty Faces has some kind of mysterious abilities granted by this experimentation, as this creepy zombie-lady revealed. All his talk about 'creating a successor' makes me suspicious that he may have given Chiko some kind of power, 'Twenty Faces' Legacy' as people keep saying, without her knowing it.

I guess we shall see!]
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:09 am Reply with quote
Exaar wrote:

spoiler[Obviously, Twenty Faces has some kind of mysterious abilities granted by this experimentation, as this creepy zombie-lady revealed.]

I didn't think about that possibility. spoiler[But based on what we heard about him before, it seems more like he was helping do the experiments, hence why this lady(?) seems to be on not-so-good terms with him. But I suppose that doesn't mean he couldn't have had something done to himself as well.]

Quote:
spoiler[All his talk about 'creating a successor' makes me suspicious that he may have given Chiko some kind of power, 'Twenty Faces' Legacy' as people keep saying, without her knowing it.

I guess we shall see!]

Another interesting possibility. But spoiler[I think her abilities are just due to training. The series is not a particularly realistic one and I don't think she needs any powers to justify her skills. I think the eyes just indicate her being 'serious'. I don't remember what Ken said or saw exactly, but I think he was just surprised to see her jump back to the say she was before after struggling a bit before.]
Exaar

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:04 pm Reply with quote
I'll admit, I never thought about the possibility that spoiler[Twenty Faces was the one /conducting/ the experiments. That could easily be the case as well.

As for Chiko, I think it could go either way. I guess as the show goes on, they are revealing a more and more 'superhero' side of it. When it started, I thought it would be mostly realistic if over-the-top, but as it's gone on we've seen people with blatant super-powers, like Tiger, the big robot-suit guy, and now this doll-chick, and that makes me think in terms of maybe Chiko has super-powers!

I guess we shall see. Smile]
blind_assassin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:37 pm Reply with quote
I think the whole point of spoiler[Twenty Faces training Chiko was because she had the capacity to go into that concentrated state she exhibited. He probably could've taken just about anyone in and turned them into pretty amazing fighters/thieves but he could see the underlying talent that Chiko had to reach or surpass his own levels.]
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Man, I SO cannot believe it's taken me THIS long to get into this series...... Anime smile + sweatdrop

Seriously though, I'm really starting to kick myself for not only not watching it earlier, but for not making this one of my top priorities of the season, because this has now officially asserted itself up as my 2nd favorite series of the season, replacing the previous Soul Eater, behind the ever so hard to take down Kaiba, and knocking Kurenai out of the top 3 altogether! Anime hyper I've had it rated at Excellent from the beginning and will probably continue to keep it there, but that episode 6 has made me up it to #2 on my favorite of the season list, and I can easily see this making my top 25 favorites. So far I'm through 8 episodes.

From the begining I had heard this got better at an eventual point so it didn't really shock me all that much or anything, but at first I did start liking it as probably the most enjoyable series of the season, seeing Chiko and the 20 faces gang go through so many adventurous thievery jobs together and watching Chiko progress in her skills, which that in the first place has been one of my favorite parts of the series so far, especially the recent episodes I've watched where spoiler[she's all thwarting all these people who are trying to bully her and whatnot. Cool] And in a way, my good friends AG and JG might have spoiled things for me just a little bit by telling me that episode 6 is big and from that point onwards gets better, and also that the OP and ED have some very important hints in it. Anime smile + sweatdrop Well, that's probably more creditable to me just being more observent. Anime smile + sweatdrop At first when they said that I thought it just had to do with some sort of timeskip where Chiko was older (heh, I actually thought Tome was an older version of Chiko and the other 2 were her kids or something Anime smile + sweatdrop ) But I payed closer attention to the OP and ED other than just how awesome I thought both songs were. At first mostly just payed attention to the lyrics because I still assumed the whole time jump thing via everything else Anime smile + sweatdrop but yeah, I could easily tell based on that that spoiler[something was going to happen to 20 faces and the rest of the gang, seperating Chiko from them.]

But MAN was I not expecting how it'd happen! Shocked (JG should understand very much so already my viewpoint on this Wink ) It started out as something not so surprising, seeing as how I just assumed spoiler[Angie had gone psychotic on the 20 faces gang and whatnot out of revenge for the clock being stolen,] but wait a second, spoiler[now she's been working for Tiger all along!? Shocked] Then the rest of that episode was just nothing but exciting. Which, in part, was mostly due to the fact that I haven't even noticed any of these little "flaws" Dorcas has been talking about in this thread throughout the series (I never notice these little things anyways, all my focus goes into my sheer enjoyment of the series), but yeah, it was very exciting and epic all the way up to that last scene, with spoiler[20 faces supposedly being consumed by those flames.] That part was just heartbreaking, as was all the scenes in the follow up episode where spoiler[it almost seemed like people were rubbing it in her face. And it didn't make it much better that people kept on assuming that it was a good thing that happened......] You know what though? This plot twist, taking also into consideration the structure of the series up to this point as well, kind of reminds me of how Claymore did it in a way. In fact, I think it was at about this exact same episode count that what happened in Claymore happened as well.

And then of course we got to find out who the 2 characters in the OP and ED actually were. Anime smile + sweatdrop I swear I was about to smack myself when spoiler[I saw Tome for the first time since the episode she was first introduced in.......] Things were starting to make more sense, although then I just thought it would be revealed that spoiler[Tome was like, her real mother or something,] along with my other speculation that 20 faces was her father at the same time. Anime smile + sweatdrop I'm still kind of speculating that, but instead of spoiler[Koito being her long lost sister] or something like that like I was assuming, I guess sspoiler[he's just some bully girl in Chiko's class, huh? Anime smile + sweatdrop] I'm definitely excited now to see those two plus Chiko in more action.

Also, I too, like AG, just assumed spoiler[Ken] in the OP was some sort of future villain or something, I had NO clue it was him! Anime smile + sweatdrop It does definitely make a lot of sense though, considering the eyepatch and all. Wink

So yeah, loving it a lot so far. Something that kind of surprised me though from the beginning was that I wasn't expecting this to be a BONES series! Anime hyper So my favorite anime company puts together yet another solid series I see. (H) It kind of makes sense though, there have been some points in the animation that have reminded me HEAVILY of FMA. I really hope this one gets licensed, in fact, I'm actually quite surprised this one isn't more well known and watched as much as it should be. Confused
Jedi General

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:57 pm Reply with quote
BrothersElric wrote:
But MAN was I not expecting how it'd happen! Shocked (JG should understand very much so already my viewpoint on this Wink )

That I do. Anime smile I miss the good ol' days of the Claymore manga thread.

BrothersElric wrote:
I wasn't expecting this to be a BONES series! Anime hyper So my favorite anime company puts together yet another solid series I see.

I was mainly interested in this series at first because of Aya Hirano (Chiko), but then I found out that it was from BONES. Then I noticed that it is from the director of the incredibly entertaining Ramen Fighter Miki. By then it had became an absolute must watch, although I honestly wasn't expecting the series to be THIS good.

I very much enjoyed reading your thoughts. Especially on episode 6, even though Ko and I did spoil it a little bit.

As for me, I'm up through episode 11. I'll say this: things are really getting quite interesting as of late. I'm really liking the spoiler[white-haired lady. She's just so delightfully creepy. Not to mention this mysterious Legacy of Twenty Faces. I never thought about Twenty Faces giving some sort of ability to Chiko, but then again it makes a lot of sense, given the strange abilities that have been shown already and Chiko's eye-changing thing.]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Heh, man, I had to take special care as to not get spoiled by the open spoiler tags in this quote. Anime smile + sweatdrop

Jedi General wrote:
I was mainly interested in this series at first because of Aya Hirano (Chiko), but then I found out that it was from BONES. Then I noticed that it is from the director of the incredibly entertaining Ramen Fighter Miki. By then it had became an absolute must watch, although I honestly wasn't expecting the series to be THIS good.

Yeah, I knew next to nothing about this series going into it other than how high both you and Ko have it rated and the very few things I read in this thread (non spoiler, that is Wink ) when I first discovered it existed in the first place. So yeah, I wasn't entirely sure what to expect, and I must say I'm very pleasantly surprised, especially in knowing that not very many people are watching this right now...... And of course it being BONES is a nice plus. Cool

Quote:
I very much enjoyed reading your thoughts. Especially on episode 6, even though Ko and I did spoil it a little bit.

I'm glad you enjoyed my comments. Smile But nah, you didn't really spoil me that much at all anyways so it's all good. Basically the rest was just me piecing things together that I came to that conclusion. Anime smile + sweatdrop

Anyways, I'm not perfectly entirely sure, but I might be all the way up through episode 11 myself by the end of the day, so I'll probably comment on that sometime latter today or tomorrow.
Exaar

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:02 am Reply with quote
Just watched episode 12.

spoiler[This show continues to impress and amaze. I literally have no idea what it's going to do next in any given episode, but have never been disappointed by the result. Twenty Faces is alive! And he was... the most obvious person! Normally that would be dumb, but instead I got the impression that like, it was so obvious Akechi was Twenty Faces that it convinced you it couldn't be him... and then when it actually was, you were like, "Whoa... really?!?!" Hahaha.

I still stick to my "Chiko has some kind of super powers" theory. She ripped that iron bar off the wall pretty damn easily for a 12 year old girl.

And what the heck is Twenty Faces trying to do by making Chiko think she killed him... again?! Obviously he's in the next-episode preview so he's not dead, but I get the feeling he is definitely driving her towards some kind of mental transformation.

I wish they'd put the subs for this show out more quickly. Razz]
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:00 am Reply with quote
Jedi General wrote:

As for me, I'm up through episode 11. I'll say this: things are really getting quite interesting as of late. I'm really liking the spoiler[white-haired lady. She's just so delightfully creepy. Not to mention this mysterious Legacy of Twenty Faces. I never thought about Twenty Faces giving some sort of ability to Chiko, but then again it makes a lot of sense, given the strange abilities that have been shown already and Chiko's eye-changing thing.]

Of course the best part is this!

http://img187.imageshack.us/img187/94/1214720033365xv0.gif

spoiler[Yeah, yeah I know she force fed her poison, but meh I can dream! Laughing ]
Jedi General

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:58 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
Of course the best part is this!

http://img187.imageshack.us/img187/94/1214720033365xv0.gif

spoiler[Yeah, yeah I know she force fed her poison, but meh I can dream! Laughing ]

Ha ha! You know what? I actually forgot about that. You're right, we can always dream. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5