• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya Blu-Ray + DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
So my question to the big DoHS fans is this: if you were to temporarily set aside fanboy/girl inclinations, how do you think this one stacks up against its major competition?

Well, for starters, you can go ahead and remove Clannad from that list, because I can't accept the belief this is award-receiving quality. The story is great, but the animation isn't polished enough for any award.

My vote goes with Summer Wars, though to be fair, the only other movies I've seen were the Eden of the East sets.

No Eva title enters my home while I'm alive. When I'm dead, feel free to use my bluray player.
population_tire

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:24 pm Reply with quote
I liked Summer Wars but something seemed off about it. Maybe it was how the real life story and the Oz story felt disconnected.
omiya

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Once upon a time I was looking for a highly rated anime movie on imdb.com, and found The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya, but at that stage it had no English dub.

When the English dub was announced, the Australian distributor explained that one would need to have watched the series to appreciate the movie.

So, I bought season 1 on DVD and enjoyed it, then after finding that the Japanese blu-ray box set contained the English dub, bought it and discovered that it included an excellent quality orchestral concert featuring the Tokyo Philharmonic Orchestra conducted by Philip Chu (yes, only one "l"), with Aya Hirano, Minori Chihara and Hiroaki Yura. That concert recording and the movie soundtrack are available on CD in Japan and have left me with just one thing to do:

WATCH THE MOVIE

Ready?>_
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4