• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Megaupload Site Shut Down Partly Due to Fruits Basket Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TitanXL

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:09 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
it's a joke. everytime I see an anime on megaupload/megavideo it's gone within hours or days ..tops, usually. RARELY will I see one that has lasted longer.

You must be unlucky then.. I've seen anime episode up there for years.

Baby Naruto wrote:
Thank goodness MegaUpload is shut down, maybe now more people will be buying anime, instead of illegally downloading it for free.

That's funny. You're a funny guy.

Anyway, yeah, this kind of sucks. Megaupload was no doubt the best of the file sharing websites. Relatively fast and it didn't have a 'wait 20 minutes before downloading your next file' annoyance of everyone else. It's just a shame.. these kinds of websites are the only way to get really old fansubs (80s, 90s, even early 2000s which people don't seed torrents anymore) And this is speaking about things that are not licensed, so stuff where this was your only option of viewing it. Sure, you can reupload to other sites.. but there's lots of links no one updates anymore and just have a list of.

I'm curious how this effects people who used it legitimately, though. As a backup for important files, documents, and so forth. I wonder if they can get in trouble now that people are being denied their perfectly legitimate files, some they might not have the originals of anymore and need.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:19 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
I'm curious how this effects people who used it legitimately, though. As a backup for important files, documents, and so forth. I wonder if they can get in trouble now that people are being denied their perfectly legitimate files, some they might not have the originals of anymore and need.

I've also heard of people using it to sent projects to clients and whatnot because it's pretty much stupidproof and quick, and e-mails have attachment file-limits.
_V_

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:19 am Reply with quote
Netstryke wrote:
Baby Naruto wrote:
Thank goodness MegaUpload is shut down, maybe now more people will be buying anime, instead of illegally downloading it for free.

My friend, You have no idea how deep this rabbit hole really is. The thing is there are MANY others that will pick up MU's slack.

The fearful thing is that this might start a "Cyberwar" of sorts.

A revolution? We all want to change the world, but when you talk about destruction, you can count me out.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:28 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
TitanXL wrote:

I've also heard of people using it to sent projects to clients and whatnot because it's pretty much stupidproof and quick, and e-mails have attachment file-limits.

what's an e-mail joking joking, most people don't even bother with email's in this day/age but it depends on the size of the flies bro. I think it would personally be easier for me to upload 200 megs worth of family photos' rar locked then give my family the link/password than uploading 200 single files at a time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
superdry

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:04 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
TitanXL wrote:

Also, a lot of Android developers used the service, too because the reasons you listed. Yea...I've been reading various comments on how pissed people are because they have lost their legitimate work thanks to the shutdown.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:34 am Reply with quote
Nice job breaking it, Megaupload. THIS IS WHY WE CAN'T HAVE NICE THINGS!
Brack

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:35 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I know I'll be lambasted for it, but I'll still say it. I hope people realize that filesharing sites also have legitimate people using them to share their own material, be it documents, photos, videos they themselves made, etc. Shutting down easy to to use filesharing sites is hurting the internet culture and communication.

2 minutes of research into MegaUpload would have tipped off anyone using it to the risks inherent with any project involving Kim Dotcom. That makes it hard to feel too much sympathy for anyone sharing material legally that was inconvenienced.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:37 am Reply with quote
poonk wrote:
Sunday Silence wrote:
Aara123 wrote:
Yes, every single Mega... site will be shut down.
The DoJ announces they also closed down the Megaman website......
They must have announced that after they got the site back up, eh?

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/01/20/idUS265333843320120120

Joke flew over your head....and I mentioned Anonymous a couple pages back.
poonk

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:57 am Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
poonk wrote:
Sunday Silence wrote:
Aara123 wrote:
Yes, every single Mega... site will be shut down.
The DoJ announces they also closed down the Megaman website......
They must have announced that after they got the site back up, eh?

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/01/20/idUS265333843320120120

Joke flew over your head....and I mentioned Anonymous a couple pages back.
Good for you? *shrugs*
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TsukiumiFanboy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:07 am Reply with quote
so what happens to the people like me who had a 3 month subscription to the site (it was my main site since it was so easy and fast)? r we just SOL? or do we get refunds for the months not used cause i recently got the nice christmas package (i think) and i still have a couple months on it. also since it looks like MU is gone for good what is the second best? MF maybe?
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:08 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
youtube is just as bad. I've seen files on there since the site was launched that are STILL on there and such.

It's all about appearances. If you appear to put an honest effort in responding to valid copyright violation take-down requests, they leave you alone. (Obviously, if there's no take-down request for a particular item, they don't have to take it down, and that item could be there for years.)

Razzuel wrote:
How does a Hong Kong based company/website get shut down by the FBI and indicted by a grand jury in Virginia?

Interpol. Just kidding. Laughing

Glory Questor wrote:
Razzuel wrote:
How does a Hong Kong based company/website get shut down by the FBI and indicted by a grand jury in Virginia?

Because of this little bit of reasoning (the original news story is here if you want to read it for yourself):

The US and the UK have a very close extradition relationship. And IIRC as the BBC put it, it's not one-sided neither: in the last several years, the US requested 112 extraditions from the UK - 7 were denied; the UK requested 56 extraditions from the US - none were denied.

Sunday Silence wrote:
And we needed to pass SOPA? When our current laws work just fine in this situation?

On the BBC:

The announcement came a day after thousands of websites took part in a "blackout" to protest against the Stop Online Piracy Act (Sopa) and the Protect Intellectual Property Act (Pipa).

The US Chamber of Commerce has defended the proposed laws saying that enforcement agencies "lack the tools" to effectively apply existing intellectual property laws to the digital world.

Industry watchers suggest this latest move may feed into the wider debate.

"Neither of the bills are close to being passed - they need further revision. But it appears that officials are able to use existing tools to go after a business alleged to be inducing piracy," said Gartner's media distribution expert Mike McGuire.

"It begs the question that if you can find and arrest people who are suspected to be involved in piracy using existing laws, then why introduce further regulations which are US-only and potentially damaging."

Sunday Silence wrote:

Also, seems the feds seized a pretty extensive expensive toys list. And the founder was keen on [url=http://jalopnik.com/5877749/megaupload-founder-claims-he's-mafia-guilty-and-god-on-his-license-plates] claiming he's ‘Evil,’ ‘Guilty,’ and ‘God’ on his license plates.[/url]

And Anonymous is retaliating.

Hahaha, sounds like that Kim guy is a d*ck! Laughing

But that shouldn't have any bearing on the legalities.

And what Anonymous doing is like locking the barn door after the horses are gone. The operation has already been done! And it's not like the agents need the website to do their jobs. Laughing

superdry wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
TitanXL wrote:

Also, a lot of Android developers used the service, too because the reasons you listed. Yea...I've been reading various comments on how pissed people are because they have lost their legitimate work thanks to the shutdown.

They're the unfortunate victims. But them's the breaks when ya chance with an iffy outfit. Though any pro knows, if something is important enough - backup, backup, and backup some more (it'd be stupid to do otherwise, especially if relying entirely on an iffy business).

TsukiumiFanboy wrote:
so what happens to the people like me who had a 3 month subscription to the site (it was my main site since it was so easy and fast)? r we just SOL? or do we get refunds for the months not used cause i recently got the nice christmas package (i think) and i still have a couple months on it.

If Megaupload Co. is convicted, you most likely won't get that money back unfortunately. This is not a perfect analogy, but it's kinda like if ya purchase an item from the back of somebody's van at an alley, then later it turns out that item is "hot," the feds can just confiscate it without getting your money back.

Last edited by enurtsol on Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:19 am; edited 1 time in total
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:19 am Reply with quote
I was wondering when they would start applying RICO to some of these aggregator and file-sharing sites.

The infringement charges are nothing compared to money laundering and racketeering.
TsukiumiFanboy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:23 am Reply with quote
well that is unfortunate lol o well it was only like 30 bucks. so is mediafire an ok site to subscribe to? i dont like to have to download 1 file at a time so subscribing is the only way to go for me. will i have to worry about them being shutdown?
nottimkai

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:28 am Reply with quote
Oh, I'm sorry, I forgot this isn't the good old days when the American Justice department couldn't take down a website whose servers aren't based in the country.

Since when do we police the world? Oh, right, sorry. Since we decided we have the biggest balls. My bad. So, forever.

Before we at least pretended that there was a war going on before we trampled over other countries ...

I'm glad that anonymous is causing crap for the various organizations that are involved in this. Good on them.

This statement has not been vetted. It is not well thought out, and is in fact completely reactionary.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:29 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
TsukiumiFanboy wrote:
so what happens to the people like me who had a 3 month subscription to the site (it was my main site since it was so easy and fast)? r we just SOL? or do we get refunds for the months not used cause i recently got the nice christmas package (i think) and i still have a couple months on it.

If Megaupload Co. is convicted, you most likely won't get that money back unfortunately. This is not a perfect analogy, but it's kinda like if ya purchase an item from the back of somebody's van at an alley, then later it turns out that item is "hot," the feds can just confiscate it without getting your money back.

RICO has a provision for private parties to sue, but I would guess your losses will be less than the court fees. Perhaps there will be a class action that you could join, but I doubt it. I wouldn't do it, if I were you.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9